The Joy of Running an Old Shed

The Joy of Running an Old Shed

Author
Discussion

bartelbe

37 posts

35 months

Sunday 28th June
quotequote all
Got to love a shed, a whole car for what others pay for a set up tyres.

I have a knackered old 75 diesel. OK not the greatest car in the world but it keeps going with minimal maintenance and costs sod all to insure.

Alfahorn

7,213 posts

163 months

Sunday 28th June
quotequote all
bartelbe said:
Got to love a shed, a whole car for what others pay for a set up tyres.

I have a knackered old 75 diesel. OK not the greatest car in the world but it keeps going with minimal maintenance and costs sod all to insure.
Yep, I do most of my driving in the shed car and I marvel at how little I paid for it (£500) and how much I enjoy driving it.

magpie215

3,033 posts

144 months

Sunday 28th June
quotequote all
Shed Galaxy earning its keep yesterday.

Wheelbarrow and cement mixer in the back....not too many vehicles can manage that.

Red Sleeper

360 posts

60 months

Sunday 28th June
quotequote all
I'm trying my best to keep the shed mentality and not finance something for around 8k that's a bit nicer to sit in and a bit more stylish. But it's hard somethings driving old heaps.

V6todayEVmanana

239 posts

99 months

Sunday 28th June
quotequote all
Alfahorn said:
Yep, I do most of my driving in the shed car and I marvel at how little I paid for it (£500) and how much I enjoy driving it.
Is that the Alfa 147, had one on loan recently whilst my GTV was in the garage and was a fun car to drive around in. Super comfy seats too.

Are you sticking to the cambelt change schedule?

A500leroy

1,517 posts

73 months

Sunday 28th June
quotequote all
Red Sleeper said:
I'm trying my best to keep the shed mentality and not finance something for around 8k that's a bit nicer to sit in and a bit more stylish. But it's hard somethings driving old heaps.
You can still play the shed if you keep it for 10 years, it works out at £800 a year then which is shed money just in one hit instead of 10 different sheds.

M4cruiser

2,056 posts

105 months

Sunday 28th June
quotequote all
egor110 said:
Is anyone running a mazda 3 ?

Looking on the local facebook marketplace there are loads of these sub 1k with under 100k miles .
I haven't bought one of these yet, but I'm watching closely.
The good ones are more like £2K. The bad ones have issues (yes, rust, & suspension joints). All fixable but at a price.

I've been advised to keep clear of the top models with Traction control, I've heard the module can cause problems (basically an MoT fail warning light on) and costs over £1,000 to fix.

But I think the more basic ones are ok.


kentbloke

20 posts

14 months

Sunday 28th June
quotequote all
I've run sheds for years, you can't beat them, you can park them anywhere, had Ka,s for years but rust is a nightmare, last 3 years been running Peugeot's (206) apart from oil weeps at the o/s of the head you can't knock them.

CX53

2,342 posts

65 months

Sunday 28th June
quotequote all
Red Sleeper said:
I'm trying my best to keep the shed mentality and not finance something for around 8k that's a bit nicer to sit in and a bit more stylish. But it's hard somethings driving old heaps.
I go through this in my head almost every day. I've seen a lovely 2014 Mercedes C Class coupe for £8.5k, or £160pcm.

Much more fitting for a young-ish lad who has a long commute and would like a better looking, more comfortable auto car than the current Astra, which is worth a touch over shed money but it's absolutely a shed in my eyes, doesn't even have alloy wheels...

But it's hard to justify when the Astra just plods dutifully on. I don't know if I fancy paying that money month in month out for something that just gets older and more knackered over time, losing its value.

It's a tough one, I know it's not a lot of money to some of the stair dominating beasts on these forums but it still goes a long way. For example, If I overpay my mortgage by the same 160pcm and run sheds, it'll take 5 years and 8 months off the term of the mortgage, taking it from 24 years down to 18 left.

I must admit though I do feel like st after stepping out of my heap, and, I'm not usually one to care about what others think, but I'm young and work I.n motorsport, most ofmy colleagues have nice cars....

bearman68

2,767 posts

87 months

Monday 29th June
quotequote all
CX53 said:
It's a tough one, I know it's not a lot of money to some of the stair dominating beasts on these forums but it still goes a long way. For example, If I overpay my mortgage by the same 160pcm and run sheds, it'll take 5 years and 8 months off the term of the mortgage, taking it from 24 years down to 18 left.

I must admit though I do feel like st after stepping out of my heap, and, I'm not usually one to care about what others think, but I'm young and work I.n motorsport, most ofmy colleagues have nice cars....
Mortgage overpayment is a far more sensible option. (but then I would say that as I run a shed, with no mortgage).
When you say you feel like st, is that because the Astra is uncomfortable, or just makes you feel bad. Shed's don't have to have uncomfortable seats. Or in fact be boring - Saab is the normal go to here, as it ticks both boxes.

Philvrs

123 posts

52 months

Monday 29th June
quotequote all
Looking to move on from my shed Vectra after 3.5 years of ownership, I've put a deposit on a van.
In anticipation I did a WBAC valuation last week, came back at £380, it has 10 months MOT but no service history and only one key plus various dints. I was expecting to get knocked down to £250ish.
That valuation expired so I've updated it this morning.......£50 nowbiggrin
I've never owned a car worth so littlebiggrin

kentbloke

20 posts

14 months

Monday 29th June
quotequote all
Philvrs said:
Looking to move on from my shed Vectra after 3.5 years of ownership, I've put a deposit on a van.
In anticipation I did a WBAC valuation last week, came back at £380, it has 10 months MOT but no service history and only one key plus various dints. I was expecting to get knocked down to £250ish.
That valuation expired so I've updated it this morning.......£50 nowbiggrin
I've never owned a car worth so littlebiggrin
There's a new thread right there, The £50 club, you Sir are a tread setter

tomble22

411 posts

83 months

Monday 29th June
quotequote all
I'm there with you as well in the Accord!! laugh


Joey Deacon

2,366 posts

131 months

Monday 29th June
quotequote all
CX53 said:
I go through this in my head almost every day. I've seen a lovely 2014 Mercedes C Class coupe for £8.5k, or £160pcm.
Same here, every now and again I go through the following :

1)Instead of paying £1500 for a shed I could use that as a lease deposit and lease something for £150 a month
2)That works out at around £5K over two years, for £5K I could get myself an old BMW/Audi/Mercedes
3)£5K is in no mans land with regards to repairs, too expensive to scrap but too cheap to want to spend thousands in repairs.
4)If I up it to £10K I could get something really nice, but I don't really want to spend that much
5)Stick with the shed.

I think we tend to only focus on negatives, hence ignoring all the positives of owning a shed

1)No monthly payments
2)No depreciation
3)Don't have to worry about parking it anywhere
4)If the engine fails or someone drives into it you send it over the rainbow weigh bridge and get something else. If it is an expensive car you have to go through all the hassle and expensive of getting it repaired.
5)Service it yourself for £30 rather than paying a dealer £300 to change the oil.

You have this fantasy of how amazing it will be to own the Mercedes, but after the excitement wears off you will realise it is just a car and the list of things you took for granted with the shed will actually be turned into negatives with a nicer car.

I owned expensive cars on finance when I was younger and once the excitement wears off and the reality of the monthly payments and costs kick in I couldn't wait to get out of them. Trouble is you forget this when the excitement of a new car kicks in and you convince yourself it will be different this time.





mholt1995

360 posts

36 months

Monday 29th June
quotequote all
Philvrs said:
Looking to move on from my shed Vectra after 3.5 years of ownership, I've put a deposit on a van.
In anticipation I did a WBAC valuation last week, came back at £380, it has 10 months MOT but no service history and only one key plus various dints. I was expecting to get knocked down to £250ish.
That valuation expired so I've updated it this morning.......£50 nowbiggrin
I've never owned a car worth so littlebiggrin
I'll start the bidding at £55 wink


tomble22

411 posts

83 months

Monday 29th June
quotequote all
CX53, what about a more luxurious, stylish shed.....look at STIfree's LS, I mean it doesn't necessarily have any motorsport pedigree but it certainly makes an impression!!

A mate of mine sold an E39 525i for under a grand the other day, worth looking around for something shed money to replace the white goods Astra maybe.

The only issue with changing sheds is you could be buying a load of issues, but it's still likely to result in a saving over a £10k financed car in the long term.

Scootersp

1,403 posts

143 months

Monday 29th June
quotequote all
Red Sleeper said:
I'm trying my best to keep the shed mentality and not finance something for around 8k that's a bit nicer to sit in and a bit more stylish. But it's hard somethings driving old heaps.
Then you need to move into, semi barge semi shedding!

For just over half your £8K perhaps an IS250 SEL Radar cruise, Heated and cooled/ventilated seats, very few issues with them, reasonable tax, not horrendous fuel consumption there;s a few with low miles that I'm pretty certain would be reliable.

I agree with other the 8K used car can be an awkward price point as unlike the shed you can't just ditch it, but research is key and cherry picking from the least unreliable should see you ok?




CX53

2,342 posts

65 months

Monday 29th June
quotequote all
Good shout on getting something a bit nicer to live with.

As a serial Saab owner, I'd like to give those a miss, they just let me down too much over the years, apart from an intergalactic mileage 9000 which kept going and going! And yes it is the seats etc mostly, and I would like an auto... Reasonable economy is quite important too as I'm just going from being freelance with all the tax benefits of driving that goes with it, to permanently emlployed. Maybe a 93 with the 1.9 fiat lump would be worth a go, as its a decent proven engine!

I've been quite envious of how you've described your megane shed for a while Joey, I think if my stbox astra did similar MPG I'd probably be equally as fond of it, it does sound very hard to replace.

I do love a petrol lexus, very appealing, not entirely sure I could stomach the fuel costs but an Auto IS200 would be great.

I think I'll run the 'stra until Mot time in August, and whack it up for sale, I do hate selling cars, especially at this price point, but I think the consensus is right and a nicer shed is needed.

I'll keep my eyes peeled and if something suitably tempting comes up between now and then, I might just buy it!

tomble22

411 posts

83 months

Monday 29th June
quotequote all
CX53 said:
Good shout on getting something a bit nicer to live with.

As a serial Saab owner, I'd like to give those a miss, they just let me down too much over the years, apart from an intergalactic mileage 9000 which kept going and going! And yes it is the seats etc mostly, and I would like an auto... Reasonable economy is quite important too as I'm just going from being freelance with all the tax benefits of driving that goes with it, to permanently emlployed. Maybe a 93 with the 1.9 fiat lump would be worth a go, as its a decent proven engine!

I've been quite envious of how you've described your megane shed for a while Joey, I think if my stbox astra did similar MPG I'd probably be equally as fond of it, it does sound very hard to replace.

I do love a petrol lexus, very appealing, not entirely sure I could stomach the fuel costs but an Auto IS200 would be great.

I think I'll run the 'stra until Mot time in August, and whack it up for sale, I do hate selling cars, especially at this price point, but I think the consensus is right and a nicer shed is needed.

I'll keep my eyes peeled and if something suitably tempting comes up between now and then, I might just buy it!
I'd certainly recommend an Accord. My tourer isn't necessarily stylish but looks ok and is a nice drive, heated leather, cruise, sat nav (bit out of date but works ok), electric everything etc and I'm getting just under 40mpg with quite a few short trips.

Can easily be had for around £1k as well now.

giblet

7,517 posts

132 months

Monday 29th June
quotequote all
I started off shedding when I passed my test with a plethora of Honda engined Rover 200s and 400s. Gradually moved onto nicer cars (joys of cheap finance) but now firmly back in shed territory.

I find it interesting how what I class as a shed has changed over the years. Went from sub £500 to sub £2000 now.

Been running a 9-3 aero wagon for almost 2 years now. It was a massive drop down from a Lexus ISF but I enjoy not caring about where I park and no longer have to use V Power. The only downside is the high RFL bracket.

I do less than 8000 miles a year now and as much as I try to justify a quick motor or leasing something fun it just doesn’t make any sense especially when my commute is a whopping 1.5 miles each way