RE: Tesla Model Y released

Author
Discussion

98elise

13,885 posts

100 months

Friday 15th March
quotequote all
Jon_S_Rally said:
Ares said:
Repeat after me....

SUVs are not 4x4s/off-roaders....SUVs are not 4x4s/off-roaders....SUVs are not 4x4s/off-roaders....SUVs are not 4x4s/off-roaders....SUVs are not 4x4s/off-roaders....etc

SUVs - Sports Utility Vehicles are higher cars that have an element of design about them (subjective, naturally) and a higher seating position and higher roofline than MPV, which are minvans/minibuses
I'm aware of the differences between an SUV and a traditional 4x4 but, apart from this and the Model X, which SUVs are sold without some off-road pretense? I am struggling to think of one. Every definition I've seen of an SUV suggests it has some off-road capability, or at least looks like it does. The two Tesla "SUVs" do not.

Some of the "stylish" SUVs are pushing the boundaries with big wheels and deep bumpers, but you can still see the off-road appearance. This looks like a saloon car with a high roof. Mostly because that's what it is.
Mercedes GLA
BMW X3
Audi Q3

All look like tall cars with big wheels.


Edited by 98elise on Friday 15th March 19:18

Onehp

904 posts

222 months

Friday 15th March
quotequote all
FerrariGuy007 said:
I was thinking maybe just add manual gear box and na engine and this should be good?
You forgot the manual handbrake tongue out

B17NNS

17,964 posts

186 months

Friday 15th March
quotequote all
aarondbs said:
My journey was pleasant, anxious free and could not have been achieved in a Tesla.


aarondbs said:
Last week was Chesterfield to Cardiff

aarondbs

641 posts

85 months

Friday 15th March
quotequote all
humphra said:
Blimey, this touched a few nerves! Personally I think they're good points that have been made. Range, charging points and charging times are currently inhibitors to widespread adoption. Improvements are behind made, but the ICE still has the advantage for the time being.
Thank you Humpha. I don’t know why my expressing an opinion is any less or more valid than anyone else’s. I have an X5 hybrid back home so I’m not entirely living in the past! That’s also godawaful due to the crappy 4cylinder engine but that’s another story..

aarondbs

641 posts

85 months

Friday 15th March
quotequote all
BenjiS said:
213 miles each way? Perfectly achievable in all Teslas.

https://www.tesla.com/trips#/?v=M3_2015_74&o=F...

Quick break around 100 miles for a coffee and a piss and 10 minute charge just to be on the safe side.
What about on the way back?

Advertisement

aarondbs

641 posts

85 months

Friday 15th March
quotequote all
B17NNS said:
What be these red dots?

RemarkLima

638 posts

151 months

Friday 15th March
quotequote all
aarondbs said:
B17NNS said:
What be these red dots?
Dragon! Witches! Ne'er ye go there, or ye face ye doom!

RobDickinson

25,238 posts

193 months

Friday 15th March
quotequote all
Typical retarded 1970s views of motoring and electric cars shown by the cretins of PH who all seem to drive a minimum of 1000 miles every single day whilst towing a caravan at 120 mph pissing into bottles because real company directors don't stop.

Say goodbye to your hydrocarbon polluting dinosaurs, they've a handful of years left.

aarondbs

641 posts

85 months

Friday 15th March
quotequote all
RemarkLima said:
Dragon! Witches! Ne'er ye go there, or ye face ye doom!
Behold the three toed tail of the beast!

mrnoisy78

174 posts

132 months

Friday 15th March
quotequote all
shalmaneser said:
Thanks for sharing your valuable insight. Who would have guessed a journey over 300 miles without the opportunity to recharge would not be ideal for a Tesla!? The scales have truly fallen from my eyes.

Peronally I think it's quite good looking, and will no doubt be ideal for the school run which can currently only be attempted in a diesel 4x4 around my parts for some reason.
Bore off it’s people like you making the car industry duller by the day...
As for the people who buy the marketing figures on range - yes that must be true, I mean it’s not like VW ever lied on emissions or manufacturers grossly exaggerate mpg claims is it...
Everyone in my office who has an electric car says in colder weather the range turns to crap.

aarondbs

641 posts

85 months

Friday 15th March
quotequote all
RobDickinson said:
Typical retarded 1970s views of motoring and electric cars shown by the cretins of PH who all seem to drive a minimum of 1000 miles every single day whilst towing a caravan at 120 mph pissing into bottles because real company directors don't stop.

Say goodbye to your hydrocarbon polluting dinosaurs, they've a handful of years left.
Or possibly jumping on the electrified bandwagon because that’s the hipster thing to do. It is potentially an expensive and natural resource-wasteful experiment. Battery tech has developed a little from the milk float whilst ICE continues to develop faster. Diesel is now as clean as petrol and develops less co2 and who knows what we might combust in the future.

For those of us not in the trendy southern bubble where people get trains to work and where our customers and business contacts are spread across the UK and beyond they just don’t cut it and are built for those technical bods.

Car people like engines! An electric motor is not an engine and does not have pistons..

Electric cars are toys. Nothing more and nothing less.

cmoose

43,896 posts

168 months

Friday 15th March
quotequote all
B17NNS said:
aarondbs said:
My journey was pleasant, anxious free and could not have been achieved in a Tesla.


aarondbs said:
Last week was Chesterfield to Cardiff
Not encouraging.

I'm pro EV, but that charging networking looks dicey at best. Lot's of large gaps. A few quite isolated locations. What if it's full / broken?

The reality is that, for practicality and convenience, the charging network still needs an order of magnitude more locations. Needs to be at the point where you simply don't have to think about it or plan - just as it currently is with fuel stations. Hopefully will get there in the next 10 years, but for regular distance travelling to multiple different destinations, wouldn't remotely fancy a EV currently.

fblm

15,890 posts

202 months

Friday 15th March
quotequote all
RobDickinson said:
Typical retarded 1970s views of motoring and electric cars shown by the cretins of PH who all seem to drive a minimum of 1000 miles every single day whilst towing a caravan at 120 mph pissing into bottles because real company directors don't stop.

Say goodbye to your hydrocarbon polluting dinosaurs, they've a handful of years left.
Tedious.

MDL111

3,248 posts

116 months

Friday 15th March
quotequote all
RobDickinson said:
Typical retarded 1970s views of motoring and electric cars shown by the cretins of PH who all seem to drive a minimum of 1000 miles every single day whilst towing a caravan at 120 mph pissing into bottles because real company directors don't stop.

Say goodbye to your hydrocarbon polluting dinosaurs, they've a handful of years left.
So my retarded 1970s cretin view based on my driving last week is that it would not work (yet anyway) - therefore I gave an example.

I like EVs, but it doesn’t work for me and a lot of other people at the moment.

Another example - My brother and my father each drive 50k km a year, some of it long distances in one go - guess what, wouldn’t work for them either.

Doesn’t make them or me a cretin ....

My driving last week
Thursday 600 km at Autobahn speeds
Friday 600 km at Autobahn speeds
Saturday 150 km at Autobahn speeds
Sunday 930 km
Then a little town driving for 2 days living in a French city where there were no charging points
Thursday 930 km

And I don’t have time to screw around and make it a leasurly drive with frequent long stops/planning my route to recharge the batteries - filing up my 90L tank takes about 10 minutes all in and depending on speed I can probably get 250-450km out of it

Talksteer

3,309 posts

172 months

Friday 15th March
quotequote all
3795mpower said:
when we say this year surely we mean U.K deliveries sometime
This century ?

My Dad has waited so long for the famed 3 that he’s gone off the idea,
Audi and all are about to get the jump on Tesla.

Not everyone wants a plastic dash and a touchscreen !
The issue is this; the "Tesla killers" are all scheduled to arrive at the same time as the Model Y. They offer inferior range and performance for a like for like cost.

However the really big issue is that all the Tesla competitors are avoiding "production hell" by setting much lower production goals generally in the 10,000s at about the same time as Tesla will be delivering 1,000,000 premium cars.

The other bold prediction I will make is that as the Model Y is based on the Model 3 there will probably be range/performance upgrades between now and it being launched.

Also look on youtube for videos of Model X's towing all sorts of pick-ups and SUVs backward including backwards up a snow covered hill.


Edited by Talksteer on Saturday 16th March 00:56

The Crack Fox

13,301 posts

131 months

Friday 15th March
quotequote all
Cost/performance/environment/“pedo guy” [sic]/0-60 whatever... There’s something so utterly uncool about Tesla as a brand. I really shouldn’t give a stuff, I am a scruffy old git, but I’d rather arrive at a party in a Boy Scout uniform knitted entirely from my own mother’s pubes than in a Tesla.

herebebeasties

385 posts

158 months

Friday 15th March
quotequote all
MDL111 said:
So my retarded 1970s cretin view based on my driving last week is that it would not work (yet anyway) - therefore I gave an example.

I like EVs, but it doesn’t work for me and a lot of other people at the moment.

Another example - My brother and my father each drive 50k km a year, some of it long distances in one go - guess what, wouldn’t work for them either.

Doesn’t make them or me a cretin ....

My driving last week
Thursday 600 km at Autobahn speeds
Friday 600 km at Autobahn speeds
Saturday 150 km at Autobahn speeds
Sunday 930 km
Then a little town driving for 2 days living in a French city where there were no charging points
Thursday 930 km

And I don’t have time to screw around and make it a leasurly drive with frequent long stops/planning my route to recharge the batteries - filing up my 90L tank takes about 10 minutes all in and depending on speed I can probably get 250-450km out of it
Complaining about EVs not suiting you is like whinging that you can't fit three wardrobes in the back of a Volvo estate. Clearly that makes it useless compared to a Transit van.

You're clearly ninety-fifth percentile (or whatever) for mileage. Well done you. Why do you think that makes a solution that works for the other 95% of drivers idiotic and useless? Why do you feel the need to comment so vehemently about that?

I'm frankly confused. I like whisky. My friend Tom doesn't like whisky. I don't make him drink whisky when we go out for a drink.

There are many people who drive hundreds of miles a day for whom electric cars are obviously not currently viable. What is the point you're trying to make, exactly? That because they're not suitable for you, no one else can have one? That's, err, nonsensical.

essayer

5,897 posts

133 months

Friday 15th March
quotequote all
MDL111 said:
Doesn’t make them or me a cretin ....

My driving last week
Thursday 600 km at Autobahn speeds
Friday 600 km at Autobahn speeds
Saturday 150 km at Autobahn speeds
Sunday 930 km
Then a little town driving for 2 days living in a French city where there were no charging points
Thursday 930 km
Wow, sounds really fun.

I don’t do that sort of mileage, so I did it all in an EV.

JonnyVTEC

1,691 posts

114 months

Friday 15th March
quotequote all
Isn’t this about the Tesla model Y rather than Tesla why?

MDL111

3,248 posts

116 months

Friday 15th March
quotequote all
herebebeasties said:
MDL111 said:
So my retarded 1970s cretin view based on my driving last week is that it would not work (yet anyway) - therefore I gave an example.

I like EVs, but it doesn’t work for me and a lot of other people at the moment.

Another example - My brother and my father each drive 50k km a year, some of it long distances in one go - guess what, wouldn’t work for them either.

Doesn’t make them or me a cretin ....

My driving last week
Thursday 600 km at Autobahn speeds
Friday 600 km at Autobahn speeds
Saturday 150 km at Autobahn speeds
Sunday 930 km
Then a little town driving for 2 days living in a French city where there were no charging points
Thursday 930 km

And I don’t have time to screw around and make it a leasurly drive with frequent long stops/planning my route to recharge the batteries - filing up my 90L tank takes about 10 minutes all in and depending on speed I can probably get 250-450km out of it
Complaining about EVs not suiting you is like whinging that you can't fit three wardrobes in the back of a Volvo estate. Clearly that makes it useless compared to a Transit van.

You're clearly ninety-fifth percentile (or whatever) for mileage. Well done you. Why do you think that makes a solution that works for the other 95% of drivers idiotic and useless? Why do you feel the need to comment so vehemently about that?

I'm frankly confused. I like whisky. My friend Tom doesn't like whisky. I don't make him drink whisky when we go out for a drink.

There are many people who drive hundreds of miles a day for whom electric cars are obviously not currently viable. What is the point you're trying to make, exactly? That because they're not suitable for you, no one else can have one? That's, err, nonsensical.
I said I like EVs and said I would like to buy one, but they don’t work for me and some others at the moment - I did give an example and do not appreciate being called a cretin for commenting. Last time I checked you don’t have to own one to comment on here. Also don’t see what was vehement about it

I also never said idiotic or anything of the ilk