RE: Porsche 911 V8 Cabrio (996) | The Brave Pill

RE: Porsche 911 V8 Cabrio (996) | The Brave Pill

TOPIC CLOSED
TOPIC CLOSED
Author
Discussion

J4CKO

27,995 posts

145 months

Sunday 8th September
quotequote all
blade7 said:
unclemark123 said:
You are joking right?
A 5k car????
OK, £10k.
Lower miles 996s of that vintage are dearer than that, unless something a bit iffy about them, maybe a few years back they got cheap but nowadays they seem to be 15 plus.

With regards to the convertible, they sold when new so are still desirable then second hand, just not what you prefer.

unclemark123

871 posts

153 months

Sunday 8th September
quotequote all
blade7 said:
unclemark123 said:
You are joking right?
A 5k car????
OK, £10k.
blade7, do you just comment will the sole intention of winding people up? Or just to make yourself look a complete be***nd ?

talksthetorque

6,270 posts

80 months

Sunday 8th September
quotequote all
unclemark123 said:
blade7 said:
unclemark123 said:
You are joking right?
A 5k car????
OK, £10k.
blade7, do you just comment will the sole intention of winding people up? Or just to make yourself look a complete be***nd ?
Nothing in the game here.
I like the fact that someone has done this but would never personally buy it, because it's just not my thing.

How much is a 996 cab worth with a borked engine?

I think this is what blade is basing the "£5/10k car" figure on.

Zumbruk

5,006 posts

205 months

Sunday 8th September
quotequote all
Nope. Never in a zillion years.

timrud

176 posts

118 months

Sunday 8th September
quotequote all
Fair play for the effort, but you have made a good car worse. So asking such ridiculous money is certainly brave.

Who ever buys it will have the constant worry they will never be able to shift it on. Might be better as a breaker.

Zumbruk

5,006 posts

205 months

Sunday 8th September
quotequote all
unclemark123 said:
tommy1973s said:
your car is somewhere between a tragedy and an embarrassment - it's more divisive than Brexit; and I'd personally sooner walk than be caught in something like it.
A perfect example of purist hate, look no further than your comments
Except he's right. There's no market for V8 911s in the UK. He's ruined both the 911 and the engine by doing this, and it isn't worth a fraction of what he's asking.

FlukePlay

47 posts

90 months

Sunday 8th September
quotequote all
Yacht Broker said:
The car is debatable for sure, but aside from that, surely I cannot be the only one to think it's a bit under the belt for pistonheads to publish an article which very clearly aims to scare people off buying a car which the owner has paid money to pistonheads to advertise. Interesting way to run a business.
Perhaps Pistonhead's should offer free listings in a section called 'Brave Pills' if they satisfy certain criteria. For me this would be listed in the 'Avoid' section.

Julian Thompson

1,084 posts

183 months

Sunday 8th September
quotequote all
Personally I think something like racecars direct would be a more cosmopolitan audience for this car.

Olivera

3,486 posts

184 months

Sunday 8th September
quotequote all
Julian Thompson said:
Personally I think something like racecars direct would be a more cosmopolitan audience for this car.
Well Pistonheads used to be the right place to advertise such cars, perhaps no longer.

I don't quite understand the vitriol towards this car. It would be a travesty had Porsche fitted a powerful and trustworthy unit, but instead they fitted a unit with average power and dogst reliability.

Over 200 bhp extra and better reliability sounds good, and all the better that it riles bearded puritans.

unclemark123

871 posts

153 months

Sunday 8th September
quotequote all
Olivera said:
Julian Thompson said:
Personally I think something like racecars direct would be a more cosmopolitan audience for this car.
Well Pistonheads used to be the right place to advertise such cars, perhaps no longer.

I don't quite understand the vitriol towards this car. It would be a travesty had Porsche fitted a powerful and trustworthy unit, but instead they fitted a unit with average power and dogst reliability.

Over 200 bhp extra and better reliability sounds good, and all the better that it riles bearded puritans.
Thanks Julian. Of course I am biased as its my car, but I quite agree.

There is no denying my car is marmite, but the hate sure is strong in here.

I thought the spirit of Pistonheads is the love of cars, however it seems to have degenerated in to hate and insults. Quite sad IMO and a discredit to the site.
I do genuinly get more positive comments on the 996 owners page!

DanielSan

14,364 posts

112 months

Sunday 8th September
quotequote all
Love the LS swap personally, styling wise I'd like to see something a bit madder to make it stand out. Along the lines of the Gas Monkey LS3 powered 996. If I had the cash for a toy like this personally I'd buy it and add the styling bits... Made all the better by the fact that Porsche geeks would hate it even more.



unclemark123

871 posts

153 months

Sunday 8th September
quotequote all
DanielSan said:
Love the LS swap personally, styling wise I'd like to see something a bit madder to make it stand out. Along the lines of the Gas Monkey LS3 powered 996. If I had the cash for a toy like this personally I'd buy it and add the styling bits... Made all the better by the fact that Porsche geeks would hate it even more.


It was actually that car that inspired me to convert my car DanielSan.

Juzt to add, I recall getting tons of positive comments from various race teams in the pit lane at SPA. Ironic eh?

richthebike

485 posts

82 months

Sunday 8th September
quotequote all
unclemark123 said:
Thanks Julian. Of course I am biased as its my car, but I quite agree.

There is no denying my car is marmite, but the hate sure is strong in here.

I thought the spirit of Pistonheads is the love of cars, however it seems to have degenerated in to hate and insults. Quite sad IMO and a discredit to the site.
I do genuinly get more positive comments on the 996 owners page!
It's the usual crowd who are just negative about everything. They'd be moaning about chocolate engines or headlights that aren't round if there wasn't a V8 to mean about. Its mostly uninformed guff.

I stand by my original comment that the price is toppy, for the reasons we discussed. Market is dead. However, I like an oddity, and I love a 996, so would love to have a go. You're a bit far away from me unfortunately. I asked RPM to price up the conversion 4 years or so ago not we couldn't settle on a turnkey figure.

richthebike

485 posts

82 months

Sunday 8th September
quotequote all
unclemark123 said:
That said, why does a Hartech rebuilt 3.7 deserve such a premium? Barely any more power? All you really get is reliability? A well maintained 996 will do this without a rebuild. It's only a very low % that fail.

Edited by unclemark123 on Sunday 8th September 10:43
In the case of the car I think we're both talking about, you're getting another 100k miles of reliability pretty much guaranteed, which takes away a lot of the risk (or perceived risk). Its probably a few thousand more than the low end of the market and it's just had a bill deep into 5 figures from probably the most reputable outfit for these engines. That's why it's priced at a relatively small premium. Still not selling though!

Re: blades comments, a borked 996 cab is probably a sub 10k car, have to agree with him there

Notanotherturbo

336 posts

152 months

Sunday 8th September
quotequote all
timrud said:
If it was up for 6-7k maybe it'd be worth a punt
You could sell the engine for £6 K.


LordHaveMurci

9,834 posts

114 months

Sunday 8th September
quotequote all
unclemark123 said:
I do genuinly get more positive comments on the 996 owners page!
The Facebook group?

Mainly interested in wot 20’’ rimz & spacers can I fit & wot stickerz look sick bruv, innit hehe

yonex

15,077 posts

113 months

Sunday 8th September
quotequote all
Just going to say, an LS swap makes the 996 a very much more interesting car. Other opinions available biggrin

The Dictator

1,031 posts

85 months

Sunday 8th September
quotequote all
Personally I love it, I am a Porsche fan and am not put off by this engine conversion at all.

I have a 38yr old Mercedes 500 SEL which I have modified, whilst not as devisive as this car, I have only received positive responses.

I would happily own and drive this 911, it's different and interesting, which as a car enthusiast makes it right up my street.

Good luck with the sale :-)

greeneggsandham

26 posts

45 months

Sunday 8th September
quotequote all
I really like this...
and the hate for this car is strong on what is purported to be a car fans' forum...

blade7

8,831 posts

161 months

Sunday 8th September
quotequote all
talksthetorque said:
Nothing in the game here.
I like the fact that someone has done this but would never personally buy it, because it's just not my thing.

How much is a 996 cab worth with a borked engine?

I think this is what blade is basing the "£5/10k car" figure on.
It is.
TOPIC CLOSED
TOPIC CLOSED