RE: Audi S1 | Spotted

RE: Audi S1 | Spotted

Author
Discussion

Mike1990

707 posts

76 months

Monday 9th September
quotequote all
There’s something quite appealing with that S1, the similar looks to a warm S-Line variant helps. Q-car.

Johnnytheboy

18,301 posts

131 months

Monday 9th September
quotequote all
Article said:
With its peppy four-pot and two-axle drive, the S1 became a surprise enthusiasts’ favourite
I wish I could write like that.

Oh wait, no I don't.

fido

14,107 posts

200 months

Monday 9th September
quotequote all
Have to say I didn’t notice the Q-factor and ste interior* when i eagerly handed over 19k. Only realised when my non-petrolhead neighbour asked if my S1 was an electric car - his eyes ?? popped out when I said two-litre turbo.
* - it’s really not that bad and the important bits like the gear knob and wheel feel good

Posing with a classic 911 and it's close rival Mini Cooper.



Edited by fido on Monday 9th September 10:43

pb8g09

347 posts

14 months

Monday 9th September
quotequote all
I’ve made lots of comments about the S1 and on other threads, but I’ll give a balance to the comments here.

I bought one last August for £20k (and sold 4 months later). It wasn’t a Quattro pack one (so none of the stty decals and fancy wheels). It wasn’t a ‘Q’ car at all. It has four giant exhausts sticking out the back of it so not sure what nonsense is being said there.

The interior is EXACTLY the same as the A1 (had one at the same time), which frustrated many owners as it made you feel like you weren’t getting anything more for your money but a remap and a manual gearbox.

The gearbox was soft as dog poo- which is a main criticism from the owners forum- the change is too melty- which actually probably appeals to younger drivers and females alike which is why the younger generations probably enjoy it more than the older. Also, you can’t remap it to ‘a weapon’ without upgrading the clutch- the oem clutch already is known to go on just the stock output (some even after 10k miles) so it’s pricy to map.

It doesn’t have much feel in the steering, but in it’s defence, you feel like you can whizz this around without losing it on a bend. Oh and it is bloody fast.

I’d have one again but not as this price. Maybe when they drop into 4 figures I’d consider buying one back, upgrading the clutch, remapping to 270ish but only as a run around.

Wish I’d got a JCW instead.

Court_S

1,164 posts

122 months

Monday 9th September
quotequote all
I’ve not driven one, but I’m kind of glad that Audi at least tried. Given the number of Cooper S’s knocking about they probably wanted a piece of that market. Having sat in an A1 they did feel properly small inside, more so than a MINI.

I see lots of comments about three door cars looking better etc and people moaning about them being dropped bit in the real world, no one buys them. The exception being MINI; I really hope they don’t drop the three door because the five door hatch is a bloody awful looking thing.

Gio G

2,143 posts

154 months

Monday 9th September
quotequote all
Purchased mine used in exclusive Sprint Blue, just over a year ago and still love it. It was purchased as a winter car, while the classic is in storage. Done lots of long journeys in it, very comfortable leather sports seats, cruise control, effectively all of those lovely extras in a big Audi, fitted into a little package..

In the wet, it is a superb package with quattro. People tend to forget this was a real skunk work car for Audi, which probably cost a small fortune in R&D. I love the way mine goes around corners, steering is not bad and has great turn of speed. Ok the gearbox could be more precise, but it is not too bad. These cars have a huge following, lots of them do get modified and trying to find an unmolested one is getting tricky.. Audi won't make one again.. As I recall Evo rated this 4.5 stars, so not sure why so much hate, not that I care!

Took mine up to Caffeine a few months back..






G

Sam Sheehan

36 posts

82 months

Monday 9th September
quotequote all
rockandrollmark said:
I agree with the sentiment, but can we please stop with the “it’s a weapon” when referencing the performance credentials of a car. In what way is it a weapon? Who are you looking to attack it? It’s a stupid metaphor.

Back on topic though, i’m a bit disheartened by the general sentiment in responses to this Spotted. I’ve always had a soft spot for little cars with slightly too much power, and was putting the S1 on the shortlist for the next car, based on a number of favourable reviews and comparison with the A1 Quattro. An RS Clio was on the cards too, but I figured the S1 would be a bit more grown up. Judging by people’s comments on the interior though, Audi didn’t do a very good job there either. Shame.
I'd say go and test drive one. In my experience (I used one for about 2,000 miles in 2016), they're great. Much, much faster cross country pace than the equivalent Fiesta ST (one of which I also used and loved for a similar number of miles), genuinely throttle adjustable and ultra-easy to live with. Everyone's got their own opinions, but I would very much recommend a proper test drive - ie. one on a country road! wink

edpratt

10 posts

88 months

Monday 9th September
quotequote all
pb8g09 said:
I’ve made lots of comments about the S1 and on other threads, but I’ll give a balance to the comments here.

I bought one last August for £20k (and sold 4 months later). It wasn’t a Quattro pack one (so none of the stty decals and fancy wheels). It wasn’t a ‘Q’ car at all. It has four giant exhausts sticking out the back of it so not sure what nonsense is being said there.

The interior is EXACTLY the same as the A1 (had one at the same time), which frustrated many owners as it made you feel like you weren’t getting anything more for your money but a remap and a manual gearbox.

The gearbox was soft as dog poo- which is a main criticism from the owners forum- the change is too melty- which actually probably appeals to younger drivers and females alike which is why the younger generations probably enjoy it more than the older. Also, you can’t remap it to ‘a weapon’ without upgrading the clutch- the oem clutch already is known to go on just the stock output (some even after 10k miles) so it’s pricy to map.

It doesn’t have much feel in the steering, but in it’s defence, you feel like you can whizz this around without losing it on a bend. Oh and it is bloody fast.

I’d have one again but not as this price. Maybe when they drop into 4 figures I’d consider buying one back, upgrading the clutch, remapping to 270ish but only as a run around.

Wish I’d got a JCW instead.
This.
Tried one back to back with an R55 JCW, S1 first... The Audi is undeniably quick and pretty unflappable on a greasy roundabout etc. but it didn't feel fun or special. The interior was really not what I'd expected from an "S" model and the controls all felt pretty soft. It was a 5 door version but the back seats are essentially completely useless because with the driver seat in position for me (6"ish) there is literally 4" of space to the rear bench. Couple that with the fact that the bench is higher than normal due to the 4wheel system, there's barely headroom for my other half in the back who is only 5"3. The boot is comically small.
I can see the appeal of course - hence I went for the test - but it was completely outshone by the mini which feels more premium and much more engaging.

JLC25

564 posts

67 months

Monday 9th September
quotequote all
Seem to hold a fair bit of value. The price is the one thing that's put me off of considering one (well, that and the average looking interior). I'm sure it's all the good things everyone has said so far, but the same price gets you into a Leon Cupra 290...

benzinbob

9 posts

1 month

Monday 9th September
quotequote all
Ay caramba said:
"Audi is a premium product"
"Brand desirability"

Audi has never made anything to justify those two statements, not even the R8, which is a boring Gallardo.

I already spot many 'premium items' in this S1 that are fitted to the Seat Ibiza. Does that make the Ibiza a premium product? Or are we just talking about a few plastic interior mould differences? Marketing is an amazing thing.

And I'm sorry but Audi have not sorted the drive on this, or any other Audi for that matter, I've driven both 3dr and 5dr through work and they are st. I'd rather have the Ford, or even the Seat which manages to handle better despite being on the same platform.
You are wrong though really aren’t you

cerb4.5lee

12,308 posts

125 months

Monday 9th September
quotequote all
Gio G said:
Purchased mine used in exclusive Sprint Blue, just over a year ago and still love it. It was purchased as a winter car, while the classic is in storage. Done lots of long journeys in it, very comfortable leather sports seats, cruise control, effectively all of those lovely extras in a big Audi, fitted into a little package..

In the wet, it is a superb package with quattro. People tend to forget this was a real skunk work car for Audi, which probably cost a small fortune in R&D. I love the way mine goes around corners, steering is not bad and has great turn of speed. Ok the gearbox could be more precise, but it is not too bad. These cars have a huge following, lots of them do get modified and trying to find an unmolested one is getting tricky.. Audi won't make one again.. As I recall Evo rated this 4.5 stars, so not sure why so much hate, not that I care!

Took mine up to Caffeine a few months back..






G
Very nice and I love the colour thumbup

I've always liked them since they first came out, I also like the fact that they are only offered as a three pedal manual...in a time where two pedals and paddles rule.


humphra

74 posts

37 months

Monday 9th September
quotequote all
cerb4.5lee said:
Gio G said:
Purchased mine used in exclusive Sprint Blue, just over a year ago and still love it. It was purchased as a winter car, while the classic is in storage. Done lots of long journeys in it, very comfortable leather sports seats, cruise control, effectively all of those lovely extras in a big Audi, fitted into a little package..

In the wet, it is a superb package with quattro. People tend to forget this was a real skunk work car for Audi, which probably cost a small fortune in R&D. I love the way mine goes around corners, steering is not bad and has great turn of speed. Ok the gearbox could be more precise, but it is not too bad. These cars have a huge following, lots of them do get modified and trying to find an unmolested one is getting tricky.. Audi won't make one again.. As I recall Evo rated this 4.5 stars, so not sure why so much hate, not that I care!

Took mine up to Caffeine a few months back..






G
Very nice and I love the colour thumbup
I was thinking the same. I really like that colour and the wheels.

gigglebug

1,235 posts

67 months

Monday 9th September
quotequote all
pb8g09 said:
The gearbox was soft as dog poo- which is a main criticism from the owners forum- the change is too melty- which actually probably appeals to younger drivers and females.....
Spot on. It's only barrel chested driving gods like yourself that can appreciate and enjoy a proper car with a proper manual gearbox, woman and youths need not apply for those, so you would think that Audi probably judged it just about right with this car seeing as it's only a teanie little pretend sports car that isn't fit for blokes like you anyhow?

gigglebug

1,235 posts

67 months

Monday 9th September
quotequote all
humphra said:
cerb4.5lee said:
Gio G said:
Purchased mine used in exclusive Sprint Blue, just over a year ago and still love it. It was purchased as a winter car, while the classic is in storage. Done lots of long journeys in it, very comfortable leather sports seats, cruise control, effectively all of those lovely extras in a big Audi, fitted into a little package..

In the wet, it is a superb package with quattro. People tend to forget this was a real skunk work car for Audi, which probably cost a small fortune in R&D. I love the way mine goes around corners, steering is not bad and has great turn of speed. Ok the gearbox could be more precise, but it is not too bad. These cars have a huge following, lots of them do get modified and trying to find an unmolested one is getting tricky.. Audi won't make one again.. As I recall Evo rated this 4.5 stars, so not sure why so much hate, not that I care!

Took mine up to Caffeine a few months back..






G
Very nice and I love the colour thumbup
I was thinking the same. I really like that colour and the wheels.
That does look good. My sister has a black one which she has had for a number of years now. She preferred her previous mini to drive, it was a GP so not really a fair comparison, but the Audi has been better in most other respects.

pilotdan

34 posts

136 months

Monday 9th September
quotequote all
Had one for the day as a loan car whilst my car was in for a service.

It was, hands down, the best fun car i have ever driven!

First gear was largely pointless, but boot it in 2nd and, after a hint of torque steer, the haldex stuff worked its magic and the power delivery shifted to the rear and you shot off down the road. Manual (!) gear box was superb to use too! Sounded great too. the 0 - 60 time is miss leading too - it may be a little slow off the mark, but once its moving its way quicker that the numbers suggest.

I took the day off and spent my time driving country lanes, addicted to how it picked up in 2nd and 3rd and how it took corners - the suspension firm enough but not teeth rattling like the S3 and S4 i have also driven. It was absolutely perfect for B roads.I was pretty smitten.

If this was your only car and you lived in a City, I can see its talents being under utilised but if you can get out onto fun roads its a hoot!

I look at them from time to time and remember that day and wonder if, as a second car (and very different to the 'sporty SUV' i have) it could be made to work for a while.... £14k is a bargain.

Gio G

2,143 posts

154 months

Monday 9th September
quotequote all
humphra said:
I was thinking the same. I really like that colour and the wheels.
Many thanks - I think it is the only Sprint Blue S1 in the country.. Originally specified with circa £9,500 worth of extras!!

G

scottygib553

161 posts

40 months

Monday 9th September
quotequote all
I'd have one no problem if it had a DSG gearbox (which they don't). For the amount of driving that I do, something with point and squirt performance in all weather. So long as they have the LED lights I think these have aged really well considering the design is from 2010

EpsomJames

759 posts

191 months

Monday 9th September
quotequote all
Well, I love mine too. I've owned for nearly 3 years and can't think what I would replace it with for my daily commute over some very greasy (in the winter) and narrow country lanes.

It definitely benefits from the "Quattro" packs which addresses a lot of the negative comments from the test drive pilots above. The interior pack premiums up the interior and the exterior pack adds a sportier look. I spec'ed mine with the black pack on top and the aluminium turned gear knob (like from the R8) which completes the look.

The only real negatives I can come up with is that the steering isn't very communicative, the rear seats are a bit cramped (especially with the Super Sport bucket style seats) and the boot is quite small (due to the 4WD gubbins). Otherwise it's a cracking little car which i much prefer to the Mrs Cooper S.

dibblecorse

5,091 posts

137 months

Monday 9th September
quotequote all
scottygib553 said:
I'd have one no problem if it had a DSG gearbox (which they don't). For the amount of driving that I do, something with point and squirt performance in all weather. So long as they have the LED lights I think these have aged really well considering the design is from 2010
I'd replace our Scirocco with one of these if it had a DSG box (artificial left knee) has me preferring autos smile I think it'd a little screamer for our local B roads....

thiscocks

2,033 posts

140 months

Monday 9th September
quotequote all
So a Ford Focus ST isn't a 'premium product'. What a load o' bks.