Running a banger cost effective?

Running a banger cost effective?

Author
Discussion

djohnson

2,682 posts

168 months

Tuesday 10th September
quotequote all
singlecoil said:
murphyaj said:
singlecoil said:
Indeed. My commute is only three miles, but if I didn't have the option of a car I would walk it before I would risk riding a bike.
Statistically, per mile travelled, you have a higher chance of being killed as a pedestrian than a cyclist...
I'll take your word for what the statistics say, but will make up my own mind as to which is the most dangerous in my particular circumstances.
I’m not sure what the statistics say but I think you’d have to be stark raving, mouth foamingly, bonkers to ride a pedal bike on the roads.

djohnson

2,682 posts

168 months

Tuesday 10th September
quotequote all
MC Bodge said:
On the other hand, riding a bike boosts masculinity and fertility to phenomenal levels.
Well plenty of cyclists I see around here seem to like spending their spare time with other men also dressed in skin tight lycra.

MC Bodge

11,281 posts

120 months

Tuesday 10th September
quotequote all
djohnson said:
I’m not sure what the statistics say but I think you’d have to be stark raving, mouth foamingly, bonkers to ride a pedal bike on the roads.
You called?

1,000s of miles of commuting every year. It's great.

If more people did it, the roads would be even safer.

It interesting how some people can be so scared of things that others just do.

smartypants

41,156 posts

114 months

Tuesday 10th September
quotequote all
6 miles is not a distance I’d be using a bike for, and I like to cycle. It’s just something some people like to trot out to be high and mighty.

Banger definitively, I’d go something VAG tdi, probably pre 2001, so immune to silly tax stuff. Fill it will diesel once, probably last you 3 months smile

Oil change once a year, will go forever. Sell it for what you paid for it.

djohnson

2,682 posts

168 months

Tuesday 10th September
quotequote all
MC Bodge said:
djohnson said:
I’m not sure what the statistics say but I think you’d have to be stark raving, mouth foamingly, bonkers to ride a pedal bike on the roads.
You called?

1,000s of miles of commuting every year. It's great.

If more people did it, the roads would be even safer.

It interesting how some people can be so scared of things that others just do.
Everyone’s assessment of risk is different. For me it’s be a great answer, if I’m in the Leeds office it’s a 30 mile round trip quite a bit on nice country roads, fitting exercise into my schedule I do but it’s a challenge and combining it with counting would be great. However getting out of the car with its crumple zones and airbags and becoming such a vulnerable road user Is way off my acceptable risk scale. Each to their own though.

Down and out

1,713 posts

9 months

Tuesday 10th September
quotequote all
smartypants said:
6 miles is not a distance I’d be using a bike for, and I like to cycle. It’s just something some people like to trot out to be high and mighty.
That's about the long and short of it.

singlecoil

27,823 posts

191 months

Tuesday 10th September
quotequote all
MC Bodge said:
...It's interesting how some people can be so scared of things that others just do...
Using emotive terms won't bolster your argument. Deciding that something isn't worth the risk (even if it's a small one) is not fear driven, it's a cost/benefit calculation.

MC Bodge

11,281 posts

120 months

Tuesday 10th September
quotequote all
smartypants said:
6 miles is not a distance I’d be using a bike for, and I like to cycle. It’s just something some people like to trot out to be high and mighty.
You must go for some short bike rides!

MC Bodge

11,281 posts

120 months

Tuesday 10th September
quotequote all
djohnson said:
Everyone’s assessment of risk is different. For me it’s be a great answer, if I’m in the Leeds office it’s a 30 mile round trip quite a bit on nice country roads, fitting exercise into my schedule I do but it’s a challenge and combining it with counting would be great. However getting out of the car with its crumple zones and airbags and becoming such a vulnerable road user Is way off my acceptable risk scale. Each to their own though.
So you are frightened, but assert that people who ride bikes on the road are crazy?

MDMA .

5,057 posts

46 months

Tuesday 10th September
quotequote all
Joey Deacon said:
_Hoppers said:
Joey Deacon said:
sweaty, or freezing cold and soaking wet
An electric bike, extra layer of clothing and some waterproofs would sort that out.
And what about the getting squished by an SUV?
Would save the dreary house moving threads wink

ReaperCushions

3,710 posts

129 months

Tuesday 10th September
quotequote all
Do it in style, comfort and the waft of a big V8 in a Lexus LS400 or V6 in the Honda Legend.

Both super reliable as well.

MC Bodge

11,281 posts

120 months

Tuesday 10th September
quotequote all
singlecoil said:
MC Bodge said:
...It's interesting how some people can be so scared of things that others just do...
Using emotive terms won't bolster your argument. Deciding that something isn't worth the risk (even if it's a small one) is not fear driven, it's a cost/benefit calculation.
Bolster my argument? Somebody asserted that riding bikes on the road was crazy and only lunatics would do it.

Ps. The cost of cycling to work is miniscule. The benefits are multiple. Even riding to work in the rain is better than driving to work in traffic.

Jag_NE

1,815 posts

45 months

Tuesday 10th September
quotequote all
Unless your current car is something pretty special I’d just use that. The cost of buying and running the second car would cover a lot of car park dings, if you get any at all. Also factor in that driving the nice car is more enjoyable and you don’t consume space with an additional car.

Baldchap

1,397 posts

37 months

Tuesday 10th September
quotequote all
I've got a Ka I bought for an event that's no longer happening, 08 plate with a rusty filler cap that's been repaired in a very ugly manner. 66k on the clock, 2 keys, 8 stamps, MOT until June IIRC. It's anyone's for what I paid -£350.

I think it just needs a drive, but it might want a brake disk. :-)

singlecoil

27,823 posts

191 months

Tuesday 10th September
quotequote all
MC Bodge said:
singlecoil said:
MC Bodge said:
...It's interesting how some people can be so scared of things that others just do...
Using emotive terms won't bolster your argument. Deciding that something isn't worth the risk (even if it's a small one) is not fear driven, it's a cost/benefit calculation.
Bolster my argument? Somebody asserted that riding bikes on the road was crazy and only lunatics would do it.

Ps. The cost of cycling to work is miniscule. The benefits are multiple. Even riding to work in the rain is better than driving to work in traffic.
You're ignoring the risk in that equation. The risk, I agree, is small but the consequences of being struck by a car with an inattentive driver are easily potentially life changing if not actually fatal. You choose not to concern yourself with that risk but it doesn't mean that it isn't there.

frisbee

1,929 posts

55 months

Tuesday 10th September
quotequote all
MC Bodge said:
smartypants said:
6 miles is not a distance I’d be using a bike for, and I like to cycle. It’s just something some people like to trot out to be high and mighty.
You must go for some short bike rides!
Anyone who struggles to cycle 6 miles should start cycling to work....

smartypants

41,156 posts

114 months

Tuesday 10th September
quotequote all
MC Bodge said:
You must go for some short bike rides!
We’re not talking about bike rides, we’re talking about commuting. Convenience, comfort and speed. Three things you don’t get with a bike. By the time you get your st together and your bike out of the house, you’d have arrived by car. It’s nonsense talk.


smartypants

41,156 posts

114 months

Tuesday 10th September
quotequote all
frisbee said:
Anyone who struggles to cycle 6 miles should start cycling to work....
I drive to my gym every morning. It’s 1 mile away. That must blow your mind smile


mike9009

4,181 posts

188 months

Tuesday 10th September
quotequote all
Joey Deacon said:
_Hoppers said:
Joey Deacon said:
sweaty, or freezing cold and soaking wet
An electric bike, extra layer of clothing and some waterproofs would sort that out.
And what about the getting squished by an SUV?
If that is the fear, I would suggest buying a HGV rather than a small cheap runabout.

Pothole

27,366 posts

227 months

Tuesday 10th September
quotequote all
singlecoil said:
murphyaj said:
singlecoil said:
Indeed. My commute is only three miles, but if I didn't have the option of a car I would walk it before I would risk riding a bike.
Statistically, per mile travelled, you have a higher chance of being killed as a pedestrian than a cyclist...
I'll take your word for what the statistics say, but will make up my own mind as to which is the most dangerous in my particular circumstances.
You're generally reasonably sensible. Basing a decision of feelings is not, really.