Identify My Kit Car Please!!!

Identify My Kit Car Please!!!

Author
Discussion

matt-3gmnb

Original Poster:

4 posts

17 months

Thursday 12th September
quotequote all
Hi All

Can any kit car guru's identify what kit this is?
It is based on a '72 VW Beetle, and i'm currently rebuilding it.

i Purchased it blind, and shouldn't have as it needs lots of welding/repairs, but these are now underway!
In the meantime i am trying to find out what the hell it is? Reg doc lists as 'Proto Flyte Kestrel' which brings up absolutely bugger all in a google search!

I believe it was built in the late 80's.
I cant find any identifying numbers on the shell at all...

Help!

Thanks, Matt

ntiz

863 posts

81 months

Thursday 12th September
quotequote all
I’m afraid that I have no idea.

But I have to say this might be the definition of bravery. laugh

Buying a car you don’t even know what it is.

PurpleTurtle

3,308 posts

89 months

Thursday 12th September
quotequote all
Can't help I'm afraid but intrigued - is the engine still hanging out of the back?

If so, what's under the bonnet, the boot?

InitialDave

5,379 posts

64 months

Thursday 12th September
quotequote all
Hmm, there was a VW based kit car called the Kestrel, but it was a beach buggy made by a company called Kartcraft, in South Africa I think.


Dave Hedgehog

10,997 posts

149 months

Thursday 12th September
quotequote all
drunk ebay bidding?

bobbo89

2,807 posts

90 months

bobbo89

2,807 posts

90 months

Thursday 12th September
quotequote all
My money is on it being from the short lived Carisma Engineering:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carisma_Engineering

"Andrew Charles Hobbs and Glyn Ford founded the company in 1989 in Sandy, County Bedfordshire. They started with the production of automobiles and kits. The brand name was Carisma. Later, Andrew Charles Hobbs and Rosemary Hobbs were the directors. [3] 1992 ended the production.

Scorhill Motors of Walton-on-Thames in Surrey continued the production while maintaining the brand name. In total, about 37 copies were made"

Frankthered

1,349 posts

125 months

Thursday 12th September
quotequote all
bobbo89 said:
My money is on it being from the short lived Carisma Engineering:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carisma_Engineering

"Andrew Charles Hobbs and Glyn Ford founded the company in 1989 in Sandy, County Bedfordshire. They started with the production of automobiles and kits. The brand name was Carisma. Later, Andrew Charles Hobbs and Rosemary Hobbs were the directors. [3] 1992 ended the production.

Scorhill Motors of Walton-on-Thames in Surrey continued the production while maintaining the brand name. In total, about 37 copies were made"
I can't see the OPs picture (work system won't show it) so I'm assuming this looks something like an SS100, hence the Carisma suggestion, but IIRC the Carisma was only ever offered using the Ford Cortina as a donor, so the Beetle references don't really make sense, unless I'm mistaken somewhere.

bobbo89

2,807 posts

90 months

Thursday 12th September
quotequote all
Frankthered said:
I can't see the OPs picture (work system won't show it) so I'm assuming this looks something like an SS100, hence the Carisma suggestion, but IIRC the Carisma was only ever offered using the Ford Cortina as a donor, so the Beetle references don't really make sense, unless I'm mistaken somewhere.
Hmm, think you may be right. Cant remember where I found the link between this and Carisma but there was one somewhere....

Puddenchucker

2,875 posts

163 months

CanAm

4,630 posts

217 months

Thursday 12th September
quotequote all
Puddenchucker said:
Give that man a cigar!

PurpleTurtle

3,308 posts

89 months

Thursday 12th September
quotequote all
PurpleTurtle said:
Can't help I'm afraid but intrigued - is the engine still hanging out of the back?

If so, what's under the bonnet, the boot?
Answering my own question, it is!

https://www.allcarindex.com/auto-car-model/United-...

Somewhat tail-happy in the wet with the lack of Beetle bodyshell weight, I would imagine! laugh

matt-3gmnb

Original Poster:

4 posts

17 months

Thursday 12th September
quotequote all
YES MATE!!!!!

That's the puppy.
Amazing work guys, didn't expect a result that quickly. Now i need to just get her back in shape and back on the road... already ditched the horrid yellow wheels, and got some lovely spokes hubcaps that fit!

Thank you very much. Keep any other info coming.
Super rare so worth ££££'s i hope!!!

Thanks, Matt

bobbo89

2,807 posts

90 months

Thursday 12th September
quotequote all
matt-3gmnb said:
YES MATE!!!!!

That's the puppy.
Amazing work guys, didn't expect a result that quickly. Now i need to just get her back in shape and back on the road... already ditched the horrid yellow wheels, and got some lovely spokes hubcaps that fit!

Thank you very much. Keep any other info coming.
Super rare so worth ££££'s i hope!!!

Thanks, Matt
Out of interest are either of the cars pictured yours? Both showing the reg so its a possibility....

matt-3gmnb

Original Poster:

4 posts

17 months

Hi All

Neither of the cars pictured are mine... different reg plates, and different headlights.
This info is great, and very appreciated but still a bit of a dead end! Google returning no other hits other than this one site with just the 3 images..?

The search continues..!!

CanAm

4,630 posts

217 months

matt-3gmnb said:
Hi All

Neither of the cars pictured are mine... different reg plates, and different headlights.
This info is great, and very appreciated but still a bit of a dead end! Google returning no other hits other than this one site with just the 3 images..?

The search continues..!!
I think the headlights might well be the same except that yours has the cowl missing. There may well be other photos out there, but wrongly titled or untitled. I think half of the GT40 pics out there are actually replicas, including the one on the FORD GT Wikipedia page!

wildoliver

8,173 posts

161 months

If your having fun great but please don't view it as an investment.