Play silly games racing... This is the outcome

Play silly games racing... This is the outcome

Author
Discussion

Hungrymc

4,181 posts

84 months

Friday 11th October
quotequote all
SlimJim16v said:
mac96 said:
If you are going to play what ifs- what if they had not collided with each other, but one of them had lost control while racing and killed a queue of innocent kittens at a bus stop?
Fixed it, no charge.
Innocent kittens? No such thing, those b******s make my eyes itch.

Simonium

660 posts

99 months

Friday 11th October
quotequote all
Durzel said:
But what if you replaced the bike with a hot air balloon and the car with a train??
Excellent!

nunpuncher

1,357 posts

72 months

Friday 11th October
quotequote all
Zetec-S said:
The other morning I had to slam my brakes on to avoid a motorcyclist filtering to the front of a queue coming from the opposite direction. He seemed to give zero fks that he was on the wrong side of a relatively narrow stretch of road. Being a normal human being I chose to brake and avoid him, rather than ram the tt off the road. Tutted to myself and got on with my day.

Yes the ‘busa rider comes across as a tosser (and rides like one too) but we don’t live in some Mad Max type post apocalyptic world. No excuse for the Civic drivers actions, that sort of unhinged person should not be allowed behind the wheel.
The sort of person who speeds up and tries to "near miss" pedestrians who dare take slightly too long crossing HIS road.

FiF

36,156 posts

198 months

Friday 11th October
quotequote all
nunpuncher said:
Zetec-S said:
The other morning I had to slam my brakes on to avoid a motorcyclist filtering to the front of a queue coming from the opposite direction. He seemed to give zero fks that he was on the wrong side of a relatively narrow stretch of road. Being a normal human being I chose to brake and avoid him, rather than ram the tt off the road. Tutted to myself and got on with my day.

Yes the ‘busa rider comes across as a tosser (and rides like one too) but we don’t live in some Mad Max type post apocalyptic world. No excuse for the Civic drivers actions, that sort of unhinged person should not be allowed behind the wheel.
The sort of person who speeds up and tries to "near miss" pedestrians who dare take slightly too long crossing HIS road.
Or the sort who sees someone has already entered a roundabout ahead, and even though HE has not yet crossed HIS give way line deliberately plants it to try and create potential conflict. Utter dick move beloved by dashcam warriors.

Mr Whippy

21,895 posts

188 months

Monday 14th October
quotequote all
Hungrymc said:
Mr Whippy said:
No matter how dodgy the car driver, it seems easy to avoid accidents with them.
Once agin, the bikes riding was poor. Things I saw.....
1) speeding
2) poor lane discipline.
3) filtering past people who have just overtaken him and presumably will travel faster than him.
4) I’ll add deciding to overtake while just after a junction.

But his driving around the car approaching the collision wasn’t that bad?
He hung back, didn’t linger in a blind spot
Gave plenty of room
Was passing quickly / decisively (Mixed bag this one as the closing speed was too high).

The act of the driver is a threat to any overtaking vehicle ever?
If you had a brush with a big loutish drunk meat head on a night out would you...

A, stay away from them and enjoy a fun evening?
B, tempt fate and go near them again, and risk being ttted, then complain when you are?

The car driver is an idiot.

Yes sometimes you can’t avoid idiots.

This biker chased an idiot down! That makes the biker an idiot too.

Hungrymc

4,181 posts

84 months

Monday 14th October
quotequote all
Mr Whippy said:
If you had a brush with a big loutish drunk meat head on a night out would you...

A, stay away from them and enjoy a fun evening?
B, tempt fate and go near them again, and risk being ttted, then complain when you are?

The car driver is an idiot.

Yes sometimes you can’t avoid idiots.

This biker chased an idiot down! That makes the biker an idiot too.
What was the “brush with A big loutish drunk meat head” ? I guess you mean the wheel spin at the lights?

When I first saw that, I assumed it was a teenager arsing about / having a play and trying to encourage the bike to race.... poor driving and certainly a warning sign. But I didn’t see it as threatening behaviour. I’m not sure if there were even words exchanged?

I’ve already listed the poor riding - I‘m not sure if it makes him an idiot, but certainly some poor riding and I would do most of it differently.

But if you think the driver is merely an “idiot” as opposed to being a maniac that needs locking up, we’re not going to agree.

J4CKO

28,477 posts

147 months

Monday 14th October
quotequote all
Hungrymc said:
Mr Whippy said:
If you had a brush with a big loutish drunk meat head on a night out would you...

A, stay away from them and enjoy a fun evening?
B, tempt fate and go near them again, and risk being ttted, then complain when you are?

The car driver is an idiot.

Yes sometimes you can’t avoid idiots.

This biker chased an idiot down! That makes the biker an idiot too.
What was the “brush with A big loutish drunk meat head” ? I guess you mean the wheel spin at the lights?

When I first saw that, I assumed it was a teenager arsing about / having a play and trying to encourage the bike to race.... poor driving and certainly a warning sign. But I didn’t see it as threatening behaviour. I’m not sure if there were even words exchanged?

I’ve already listed the poor riding - I‘m not sure if it makes him an idiot, but certainly some poor riding and I would do most of it differently.

But if you think the driver is merely an “idiot” as opposed to being a maniac that needs locking up, we’re not going to agree.
Indeed, the biker saw someone up for a bit of a play, rather than the potential threat he turned out to be, he wanted to show how much faster his bike was as well.

Which is different than an encounter with someone who you believe to be potentially violent.

Durzel

7,938 posts

115 months

Monday 14th October
quotequote all
J4CKO said:
Indeed, the biker saw someone up for a bit of a play, rather than the potential threat he turned out to be, he wanted to show how much faster his bike was as well.
But given how vulnerable bikers are, why would you even entertain it? You'd have no idea of the mentality of the person behind the wheel. The wheel spinning might have been benign, the driver might have accepted defeat gracefully, but he might - as in this case - be offended and behave rashly.

Do this sort of thing enough times and you'll come across someone like this Civic driver, who may or may not have intended his swerve to make the rider come off, but he made that move anyway. It's insane to put your life in the hands of people like this. You're rolling the dice every time you participate.

Dazyamr1000

1 posts

37 months

Monday 14th October
quotequote all
The car driver was obviously jealous of being overtaken at the lights as some are and biker was drawn into a race and should of left it alone,although if he was ‘racing’ he would of left the car standing if he was on a sport bike.The biker had a part to play but the car took it way too far.

garyhun

27,772 posts

175 months

Monday 14th October
quotequote all
Durzel said:
J4CKO said:
Indeed, the biker saw someone up for a bit of a play, rather than the potential threat he turned out to be, he wanted to show how much faster his bike was as well.
But given how vulnerable bikers are, why would you even entertain it? You'd have no idea of the mentality of the person behind the wheel. The wheel spinning might have been benign, the driver might have accepted defeat gracefully, but he might - as in this case - be offended and behave rashly.

Do this sort of thing enough times and you'll come across someone like this Civic driver, who may or may not have intended his swerve to make the rider come off, but he made that move anyway. It's insane to put your life in the hands of people like this. You're rolling the dice every time you participate.
Agree with Durzel. I would never entertain such a thing on a bike; it's dangerous enough out there without adding to it.

Hungrymc

4,181 posts

84 months

Monday 14th October
quotequote all
garyhun said:
Durzel said:
J4CKO said:
Indeed, the biker saw someone up for a bit of a play, rather than the potential threat he turned out to be, he wanted to show how much faster his bike was as well.
But given how vulnerable bikers are, why would you even entertain it? You'd have no idea of the mentality of the person behind the wheel. The wheel spinning might have been benign, the driver might have accepted defeat gracefully, but he might - as in this case - be offended and behave rashly.

Do this sort of thing enough times and you'll come across someone like this Civic driver, who may or may not have intended his swerve to make the rider come off, but he made that move anyway. It's insane to put your life in the hands of people like this. You're rolling the dice every time you participate.
Agree with Durzel. I would never entertain such a thing on a bike; it's dangerous enough out there without adding to it.
Unfortunately, as a motorcyclist, you are very vulnerable and most of us try to ride accordingly. But your comment doesn’t really make practical sense as all of us as road users are constantly putting our lives in the hands of others.... single carriageway roads? 120mph closing speeds with no separation? Walking on a footpath? Crossing the road? That’s why standards need to be upheld.

The only way to definitely avoid drivers like this is to stay off the road. Luckily, his actions are bad enough that he should be behind bars for a spell making the roads safer for everyone.



Durzel

7,938 posts

115 months

Monday 14th October
quotequote all
Hungrymc said:
garyhun said:
Durzel said:
J4CKO said:
Indeed, the biker saw someone up for a bit of a play, rather than the potential threat he turned out to be, he wanted to show how much faster his bike was as well.
But given how vulnerable bikers are, why would you even entertain it? You'd have no idea of the mentality of the person behind the wheel. The wheel spinning might have been benign, the driver might have accepted defeat gracefully, but he might - as in this case - be offended and behave rashly.

Do this sort of thing enough times and you'll come across someone like this Civic driver, who may or may not have intended his swerve to make the rider come off, but he made that move anyway. It's insane to put your life in the hands of people like this. You're rolling the dice every time you participate.
Agree with Durzel. I would never entertain such a thing on a bike; it's dangerous enough out there without adding to it.
Unfortunately, as a motorcyclist, you are very vulnerable and most of us try to ride accordingly. But your comment doesn’t really make practical sense as all of us as road users are constantly putting our lives in the hands of others.... single carriageway roads? 120mph closing speeds with no separation? Walking on a footpath? Crossing the road? That’s why standards need to be upheld.

The only way to definitely avoid drivers like this is to stay off the road. Luckily, his actions are bad enough that he should be behind bars for a spell making the roads safer for everyone.
Those things are normal driving behaviour though. If we're being pedantic then yes every time you get on a bike, or in a car for that matter, you run the risk of someone T-boning you because they're not paying attention, or just because they feel like it. All of us need to get to places by necessity though, so you have to accept that baseline level of risk.

My point is that if you participate in competitive driving or riding on the road you're effectively stepping outside of the norms of driving/riding and into a mano-e-mano scenario where you are depending on the skills, temperment and acquiescence of the other driver/rider. As said before do that enough times and you'll eventually come across a nutter who doesn't want to lose, and makes reckless moves like this - either deliberately or in the heat of the moment. In either scenario as a biker you are guaranteed to come off a lot worse.

It's bad enough doing this sort of thing in a car, but on a bike you'd have to be suicidal I think. Nothing excuses what the Civic driver did in the case of the video linked in the OP, but the biker put himself in harms way by participating. He would still be riding if he just let the Civic driver get on with it. Not being a biker myself, I always assumed defensive riding was the de facto way to ride on a day to day basis?

Sway

12,565 posts

141 months

Monday 14th October
quotequote all
nunpuncher said:
This.

I think a lot of the people commenting here have never ridden a bike and possibly aren't that keen on bikers (don't blame them as they do tend to attract a high percentage of idiots due to being a cheap route to hypercar speeds). The biker only seems to give it some beans well after the second set of lights, even then it wasn't full on and he could easily have smoked the civic even right after the wheel spin effort. Why he did so I have no idea but as someone else detailed he'd already made several bad riding decisions.

You have to ask. Would the civic have made the same move had that been a faster car that came up in the right hand lane? I very much doubt it. Deliberately swerving in to the path of a bike like that can only really be viewed as attempted murder.
Dude, my brother got his head stamped on after a mugging, breaking every bone in his head, and causing a 8 week coma...

The guy did it because he realised my bro knew him.

He got charged, and convicted, of 'gbh with intent'.

Attempted murder? Not even close.

the cueball

65 posts

2 months

Monday 14th October
quotequote all
Durzel said:
<snip>

It's bad enough doing this sort of thing in a car, but on a bike you'd have to be suicidal I think. Nothing excuses what the Civic driver did in the case of the video linked in the OP, but the biker put himself in harms way by participating. He would still be riding if he just let the Civic driver get on with it. Not being a biker myself, I always assumed defensive riding was the de facto way to ride on a day to day basis?
Ever time I get on my bike, I think and say to myself: EVERYONE is out to kill me.

and then ride with that in mind.

Am I perfect? nope...

Not always defensive riding either, sometimes you do need a bit of offense too...but.... do I put myself in danger like in the video - not a chance..

MyV10goesWhaaa

301 posts

40 months

Monday 14th October
quotequote all
Miserablegit said:
I drive my cars the way I used to ride - in tight fitting leather...
laugh

J4CKO

28,477 posts

147 months

Monday 14th October
quotequote all
Durzel said:
J4CKO said:
Indeed, the biker saw someone up for a bit of a play, rather than the potential threat he turned out to be, he wanted to show how much faster his bike was as well.
But given how vulnerable bikers are, why would you even entertain it? You'd have no idea of the mentality of the person behind the wheel. The wheel spinning might have been benign, the driver might have accepted defeat gracefully, but he might - as in this case - be offended and behave rashly.

Do this sort of thing enough times and you'll come across someone like this Civic driver, who may or may not have intended his swerve to make the rider come off, but he made that move anyway. It's insane to put your life in the hands of people like this. You're rolling the dice every time you participate.
Indeed, but it does amaze me how many bikers take risks above and beyond the inherent risk of riding a motorcycle.

The biker got caught out, 999 times out of 1000 that wouldnt have happened but its a valuable lesson to keep a good distance and a bit in reserve when dealing with morons, which I guess is pretty much everyone when on a bike.





MrBig

1,290 posts

76 months

Monday 14th October
quotequote all
Miserablegit said:
1st mistake racing at the lights
2nd mistake not “winning”
3rd mistake not accepting he lost the drag race and continued to chase the car
4th mistake - possibly not wearing the right kit. He talks about cargo pants and waterproofs. I’m always disappointed to see bikers out on a high speed run with jeans on...
5th mistake not anticipating the car driver was unhinged
It was all the car driver’s fault admittedly but points 1-5 would have kept the biker out of a&e
All spot on, but you missed:

Staying in the right hand lane when not overtaking anything
Filtering between stationary traffic at the lights and positioning the bike in front of the car (this really annoys me)

- I appreciate none of this justifies the actions of the civic driver but it all adds up to provoking a reaction. On a bike you have to take a bit more responsibility for your own safety, its not right, but there is no advantage to being right and dead.

Some Gump

11,122 posts

133 months

Monday 14th October
quotequote all
STe_rsv4 said:
Knocked off his bike and wanting sympathy, not sure this is the way to go about it.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=102208...

Possibly stop riding like a bellend and stop racing bellends, you will live longer. (incident happens towards the end of the video)
Only read this far...

Is the bike rider not at least 50% to blame for the outcome?

I mean, sure angry hot hatch man is a bellend, but this looks like taunting a dog and then criticising it when it bites you.

PorkRind

3,001 posts

152 months

Monday 14th October
quotequote all
Alex_225 said:
Don't get me wrong the car driver shouldn't have done that, whether deliberate or completely ignorant. By the same token, the biker would wind drivers up. Lane 2 the entire time whether passing people or not, insisting on getting to the front of the queue to then pull away slowly. I don't condone the driver but I can see the biker getting on people's nerves!
Yup, both culpable here !

Fermit and Sexy Sarah

7,365 posts

47 months

Monday 14th October
quotequote all
Just watched it again, as I wasn't aware it was a Busa when I first watched.

I agree with what pretty much the rest of you have said, namely:

The bike was no way racing, Civics don't out-drag Hayabusa's!
The bikes lane discipline was piss poor. Regardless of if you're the fastest thing in the vicinity you keep left to allow anyone who wishes to pass to do so.
The Civic, IMO, even if he hadn't clocked he was being gunned down on, had more than enough time to see the bike.
And agreed, the second I'd witnessed him spin the wheels of his Honda I'd leave him be to be someone elses accident.