Best Hot Hatch of the 21st Century – nominations

Best Hot Hatch of the 21st Century – nominations

TOPIC CLOSED
TOPIC CLOSED
Author
Discussion

Clarkedontgo

9 posts

7 months

Wednesday 27th November
quotequote all
And7R said:
zedx19 said:
Except fun, test drove one, wanted to love it, wanted to buy it, but found it utterly dull and was thoroughly disappointed. Kept my mk2 Focus ST instead which gets my vote, there's more competent hot hatches, better made hot hatches but for sheer fun I've found it very difficult to beat.
Not sure where all you driving gods get this impression from or maybe thats the biggest critiscism you have?

Maybe read the Evo 2019 Golf R review where they state when talking about the EA888 engine that "its only accentuated by the wonderful calibration with the chassis and handling balance only the Golf exhibits".

https://www.evo.co.uk/volkswagen/golf/r

I hear the dull/boring comments a lot on here but I think they just havent been driven hard enough.

Mine's a manual and I test drove the DSG and didnt like it but only had about 15 mins to get used to it.

I tried the squeaky clutch Halfords abomination Honda Civic, the Focus RS and ST along with GTIs but once I drove the R I knew it was for me.

My vote is unsuprisingly for a Golf R mk7!

Edited by And7R on Wednesday 27th November 15:21
Had a manual 300 for 2 years , it was a lovely car but they are not much fun, way too capable and I’m a huge Vw fan,

PHuzzy

2,351 posts

120 months

Wednesday 27th November
quotequote all
Weekendrebuild said:
Love the look of those busso engines in the bay sound good to. Anyway Going to nominate my bmw compact m3 (manual)
If we're going to this length of not really being a hot hatch then surely it's the Ferrari FF?

For me, as a mass produced actual hot hatch it has to be the M140i.

Snails

862 posts

114 months

Wednesday 27th November
quotequote all
I would like to suggest the original Clio V6 230. It was utterly bonkers, it was not the fastest, best handling or cheapest and the later Clio V6 255 overcame some of the shortcomings of the original, but it was the original (in the 21st century) that did it first. It was overall far better than the sum of its parts. I found it to be an utterly infectious car to drive, every single trip in it felt like it had a sense of occasion with engine rumbling and then roaring away in the cabin with you, it urged you to drive it more. I doubt there will ever be another hot hatch quite like it.

stickleback123

5,263 posts

137 months

Wednesday 27th November
quotequote all
BMW E87 1M or 135i, not least because we won't see that formula ever again and it's just so much more appealing that another FWD turbo hatch. I'd also nominate the 130i
Alfa 147 GTA for being so flawed but so wonderful
Audi 8V RS3 for being a fitting last hurrah for the 5 pot

Most of the others are variations on the same formula and you couldn't get a fag paper between them.

Tickle

3,415 posts

152 months

Wednesday 27th November
quotequote all
Clio 182 Trophy
Clio 200 Cup (Recaros and Speedlines, not FF)

Controversial, but my preference is the 200 over the Trophy rotate

DoubleD

9,720 posts

56 months

Wednesday 27th November
quotequote all
toon10 said:
The quirky (or ugly depending on your point of view) looks may mark it down but then the Megane is hailed as a great hot hatch and all generations of that are horrendous to look at.
Obviously apart from the MK3 Megane? That was a good looking car.

Baldchap

1,743 posts

40 months

Wednesday 27th November
quotequote all
Depends on whether you value hot or hatch.

As a car you drive to the office, or drove the kids over thousands of miles and various scenarios, a hot hatch is a compromise that allows fun and speed alongside not being a pain for the other 98% of the time.

It's a Golf GTI.

If they're crap at hatching every day, they aren't a good hot hatch, they're a terrible sports car.

FA57REN

168 posts

3 months

Wednesday 27th November
quotequote all
Tickle said:
Clio 200 Cup (Recaros and Speedlines, not FF)
I actually didn't like the Cup chassis as much as the Full Fat, just seemed too hard and track focused. Nor was I fussed about the Recaro seats, they're actually less adjustable than the OEM ones.

To me a hot hatch should be usuable as a daily and not just a weekend fun car.

Haven't driven an R26.R and I'd probably say the same about it, so instead I'll vote:

1. Clio 200
2. Megane R26

nickfrog

10,588 posts

165 months

Wednesday 27th November
quotequote all
stickleback123 said:
BMW E87 1M or 135i.
Great cars but not really hatches although they are based on a hatch of course. If we allow them then we also need to allow DC2s and DC5s.

Pericoloso

41,220 posts

111 months

Wednesday 27th November
quotequote all
Weekendrebuild said:
Love the look of those busso engines in the bay sound good to. Anyway Going to nominate my bmw compact m3 (manual)
"Production car " ?
Nope.

Tickle

3,415 posts

152 months

Wednesday 27th November
quotequote all
FA57REN said:
Tickle said:
Clio 200 Cup (Recaros and Speedlines, not FF)
I actually didn't like the Cup chassis as much as the Full Fat, just seemed too hard and track focused. Nor was I fussed about the Recaro seats, they're actually less adjustable than the OEM ones.
I found the Recaros sat lower than OEM, still went back and forward and reclined. Not fixed back like a R26.R



nickfrog

10,588 posts

165 months

Wednesday 27th November
quotequote all
DoubleD said:
toon10 said:
The quirky (or ugly depending on your point of view) looks may mark it down but then the Megane is hailed as a great hot hatch and all generations of that are horrendous to look at.
Obviously apart from the MK3 Megane? That was a good looking car.
Yes I agree, as I am sure this is highly subjective. I think the current Megane RS is the best looking hatch even if this is not why I bought one.

Robmarriott

1,878 posts

106 months

Wednesday 27th November
quotequote all
Easy.

Megane R26.R
Focus RS mk1
EP3 Civic Type R

DoubleD

9,720 posts

56 months

Wednesday 27th November
quotequote all
Baldchap said:
Depends on whether you value hot or hatch.

As a car you drive to the office, or drove the kids over thousands of miles and various scenarios, a hot hatch is a compromise that allows fun and speed alongside not being a pain for the other 98% of the time.

It's a Golf GTI.

If they're crap at hatching every day, they aren't a good hot hatch, they're a terrible sports car.
Yep, it depends where you are willing to compromise. The compromise with say a MK5 GTI is that it isnt very exciting to drive.

Patrick Bateman

10,892 posts

122 months

Wednesday 27th November
quotequote all
'Save the conversation for after the vote – just nominations here please'

Good luck with that!

Invariably these threads get some properly odd suggestions, but even expecting that, a BMW 1M?!

PMacanGTS

288 posts

19 months

Wednesday 27th November
quotequote all
If you’re measuring it by ear to ear grins to the £, it’s easy. The Up! GTI. No contest.

Pericoloso

41,220 posts

111 months

Wednesday 27th November
quotequote all
Patrick Bateman said:
'Save the conversation for after the vote – just nominations here please'

Good luck with that!

Invariably these threads get some properly odd suggestions, but even expecting that, a BMW 1M?!
1M is a saloon or coupe.

white_goodman

3,355 posts

139 months

Wednesday 27th November
quotequote all
Ford Focus RS mk2 is the one that I want most, mk5 Golf GTI as a fantastic all-rounder, EP3 Civic type-R as it's one of the last NA hot hatch greats.

Patrick Bateman

10,892 posts

122 months

Wednesday 27th November
quotequote all
Pericoloso said:
1M is a saloon or coupe.
That was my point...

that_classic_mini_guy

1 posts

1 month

Wednesday 27th November
quotequote all
abarth 595 Turismo (little more relaxed than the next choice)

abarth 595 competizione

fiat bravo 150t

TOPIC CLOSED
TOPIC CLOSED