RE: 2020 Jaguar F-Type revealed!

RE: 2020 Jaguar F-Type revealed!

Author
Discussion

superlightr

10,243 posts

211 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
Quickmoose said:
LuS1fer said:
I can't fathom why Jag have sucked the character out of the face and replaced it wit the generic Jag family face, ending up with a cross between an Audi and a Mustang.

The old one looks so much better and distinctive. Really wouldn't look twice at this one.
100%
also agree - its now just a bland front end. Nothing to get excited about it looks at all.

Hitch

5,634 posts

142 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
Court_S said:
they just don’t have the cash.
This sums it all up. Minimal panel changes, minimal interior fitting changes, just some slot-in tech. I still love the F type but who'd buy a new one?

Speedgirl

54 posts

115 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
I can’t help thinking that if you buy an F-you buying a brand new classic car. Bit heavy, tech not great, big on outside and small inside. Slow unless go for nutter engine. Some people like that. But it will be 7 years old, on a 23 year old chassis, next year. 10 years old when replaced. I don’t think we‘ll see too many of them despite the refreshed exterior which may stimulate a bit of interest for a few months in the spring.

nunpuncher

1,380 posts

73 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
I don't understand why the 911 is it's competition. Size? Power? Weight? Price? A 911 is a very different proposition as I can take my kids to school in one.

If I didn't have kids then a Cayman GT4 is a far more attractive and cheaper proposition than the Jag.

Flying Toaster

260 posts

101 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
The engine choices seem a little strange to me. Why not put the ingenium I6 in there? Maybe it's too tall to fit under the hood and they come up with some PR friendly excuse instead. I thought the AJ-V8 was on its last legs, when there's CO2 targets to hit putting a downtuned variant of a big supercharged engine seems a little odd. Also, the Bridgend plant where it's made is meant to be shutting next year too.

Maybe Jag just didn't want to spend loads of money updating an car that sells in relatively small numbers.

belleair302

6,171 posts

155 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
Would you buy this over a C 63s AMG or a BMW M4 Competition? Err no.

Quickmoose

3,875 posts

71 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
belleair302 said:
Would you buy this over a C 63s AMG or a BMW M4 Competition? Err no.
would you buy a 2 seater over two 4/5 seaters? an odd comparison....lets choose between the strictly 2 seater coupe/cabrio options....

You'd buy this is if you love the look, MUST have a V8, and/or simply prefer the brand...

I'd be waiting for/or finding a 6cyl Cayman (GT4)/Boxster (Spyder), personally...

Iamnotkloot

292 posts

95 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
belleair302 said:
Would you buy this over a C 63s AMG or a BMW M4 Competition? Err no.
Depends if you wanted a good looking car or not.

Surprised by the negativity on here, if that’s true of the wider public Jaguar will have a real fight to sell many.

jl34

398 posts

185 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
lord trumpton said:
There should have been a hybrid option to remain current and sell more imho
the cost of doing that would be way too high for the kind of sales it would attract. To hybridise a current platform not designed for it is an expensive exercise.

Flumpo

1,100 posts

21 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
LuS1fer said:
I can't fathom why Jag have sucked the character out of the face and replaced it wit the generic Jag family face, ending up with a cross between an Audi and a Mustang.

The old one looks so much better and distinctive. Really wouldn't look twice at this one.
Out of interest did you buy the old one?

jl34

398 posts

185 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
belleair302 said:
Would you buy this over a C 63s AMG or a BMW M4 Competition? Err no.
good grief any day of the week , far betting looking, and special

LuS1fer

35,477 posts

193 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
Flumpo said:
LuS1fer said:
I can't fathom why Jag have sucked the character out of the face and replaced it wit the generic Jag family face, ending up with a cross between an Audi and a Mustang.

The old one looks so much better and distinctive. Really wouldn't look twice at this one.
Out of interest did you buy the old one?
No because I need at least 4 seats, preferably 5. It's the reason I don't have a Corvette C7 either.

The point is whether anyone will look at it and desire it for its looks, given the age of the underpinnings. Personally, if a car drives well and looks stunning, I would be interested in it. If it was a blinder but a munter, I wouldn't, regardless of it's capability.

A long while ago, I saw my first F-Type in red and instantly thought "Ferrari".
Now I think Audi or Mustang. How can that be good...

Edited by LuS1fer on Tuesday 3rd December 12:54

Niffty951

1,829 posts

176 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
I like it. I'm obviously sad they've dropped the manual rather than admitting they dropped the ball on the last manual and improving it. I think aiming at a driver focussed/experience focussed gap opening up in the market was a good call but I see this as a Mercedes rival more than any other existing target.

A coupe C43/63 alternative or a budget AMG GT

PhantomPH

3,138 posts

173 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
Does look a bit 'Audi R8' at the front, but overall still a handsome vehicle. I looked at one a few times before buying Porsche each time. I just cannot get away from the 'last inch' quality difference between Jaguar and Porsche. Across the whole range, Jaguar seem to be on the brink of what they can afford and as a customer it's just enough to make me buy elsewhere.

If I was spending someone else's money, Id have a new V8 coupe F, for sure. Really fancy one for a while. But with my own money, I just can't do it to myself...

T1berious

1,196 posts

103 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
jl34 said:
belleair302 said:
Would you buy this over a C 63s AMG or a BMW M4 Competition? Err no.
good grief any day of the week , far betting looking, and special
Ditto, besides the competition isn't fast saloons or coupes based on saloons. The competition is the other Sporting coupes starting at 54k -96k mark.

I remember speaking to an owner of the V6S in a car park and his loving the looks but a bit meh about the performance. Apart from the V8S its a car that "looks" a lot faster than it actually is. For some this will be a selling point (especially the 4 pot.), for others, at this price point, charm will only get you so far.

Considering they already have the i Pace platform and the F Type isn't exactly featherweight, why not do something wild and do a F Type based on that floor plan / power train? Reckon they wouldn't be able to keep up with demand and beat Elon with the Roadster 2.0.

jl34

398 posts

185 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
PhantomPH said:
Does look a bit 'Audi R8' at the front, but overall still a handsome vehicle. I looked at one a few times before buying Porsche each time. I just cannot get away from the 'last inch' quality difference between Jaguar and Porsche. Across the whole range, Jaguar seem to be on the brink of what they can afford and as a customer it's just enough to make me buy elsewhere.

If I was spending someone else's money, Id have a new V8 coupe F, for sure. Really fancy one for a while. But with my own money, I just can't do it to myself...
your missing out, one of the most exciting and reliable cars ive owned. Ive heard of so many Porsche engine failures I struggle to wonder why they are perceived as a quality car.

JxJ Jr.

193 posts

18 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
jl34 said:
Ive heard of so many Porsche engine failures I struggle to wonder why they are perceived as a quality car.
I can help with that. When Jaguar are selling 4,500 F-Types across Europe a year and falling, while Porsche are selling 3x times that number of 911s, and rising, then 'so many' stories doesn't mean a lot, it's how many stories per car that does.

Edited by JxJ Jr. on Tuesday 3rd December 13:06

RacerMike

2,554 posts

159 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
Speedgirl said:
I can’t help thinking that if you buy an F-you buying a brand new classic car. Bit heavy, tech not great, big on outside and small inside. Slow unless go for nutter engine. Some people like that. But it will be 7 years old, on a 23 year old chassis, next year. 10 years old when replaced. I don’t think we‘ll see too many of them despite the refreshed exterior which may stimulate a bit of interest for a few months in the spring.
23 years since the original XK, but the F Type was an evolution of the X150 XK which launched 12 years ago. The chassis in the original 96-06 XK was basically an updated XJS chassis with carry over suspension. The X150 was the then new aluminium monocoque which eventually went on to become the X351 XJ after being fairly substantially modified.

Whilst I agree that the F Type is a bit old school now, it’s a little unfair to try and suggest it’s underpinnings are any less old than its competition. Really the 991 and 981 series Porsche’s are heavily revised 997 and 987 chassis architecture with carry over suspension, and I suspect there’s a lot in common with the 992 too.

For me what the F Type lacks is a modern interior and modern engines. I suspect if the interior had been fully refreshed with infotainment equivalent to Porsche, there’d be less complaints on here that it was old fashioned.

Carl_Manchester

5,526 posts

210 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
belleair302 said:
Would you buy this over a C 63s AMG or a BMW M4 Competition? Err no.
Apologies to owners of both of these models but in South East London they tend to be driven by bell-ends.

F-Type is a different type of clientele and has more kerb appeal, it is for someone who wants a British car with a bit of style.


stickleback123

5,266 posts

137 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
RacerMike said:
23 years since the original XK, but the F Type was an evolution of the X150 XK which launched 12 years ago. The chassis in the original 96-06 XK was basically an updated XJS chassis with carry over suspension. The X150 was the then new aluminium monocoque which eventually went on to become the X351 XJ after being fairly substantially modified.

Whilst I agree that the F Type is a bit old school now, it’s a little unfair to try and suggest it’s underpinnings are any less old than its competition. Really the 991 and 981 series Porsche’s are heavily revised 997 and 987 chassis architecture with carry over suspension, and I suspect there’s a lot in common with the 992 too.

For me what the F Type lacks is a modern interior and modern engines. I suspect if the interior had been fully refreshed with infotainment equivalent to Porsche, there’d be less complaints on here that it was old fashioned.
The X150 chassis is clearly derived from the 2003 X350 - they use the same suspension components (air struts excluded).

I'm not sure the X100 did carry over the suspension setup of the XJ-S; it had a more conventional XJ40 style single damper setup at the rear for a start. Did it have the same ridiculous short wheelbased as the XJS?

The XJS derived DB7 retained the giveaway double dampers right until the end of course. Now that really was a lash-up of a car!