RE: Toyota MR2 GT-S | Spotted

RE: Toyota MR2 GT-S | Spotted

Author
Discussion

CDP

5,910 posts

208 months

Sunday 2nd February
quotequote all
PhantomPH said:
ate one too said:
Photographed on a white background would make it worth £19,995 ...... wink
I got that reference. winkbiggrin
Amazing what an asset a white studio can be to a classic car dealer...

Guvernator

11,089 posts

119 months

Sunday 2nd February
quotequote all
Always liked the idea of these and keep thinking one would make a great weekend\track car.

At £10k I'd probably be tempted by a clean Beams version instead though. Pretty rare with a 220bhp Yamaha tuned NA engine that revs to 8K. The turbo would be a bit quicker and easier to tune but I just think the highly tuned NA makes the Beams version just a little bit more special.

CDP

5,910 posts

208 months

Sunday 2nd February
quotequote all
Guvernator said:
Always liked the idea of these and keep thinking one would make a great weekend\track car.

At £10k I'd probably be tempted by a clean Beams version instead though. Pretty rare with a 220bhp Yamaha tuned NA engine that revs to 8K. The turbo would be a bit quicker and easier to tune but I just think the highly tuned NA makes the Beams version just a little bit more special.
That one is a bit too nice to trackday. Better off with something cheaper.

Quite a few people have fitted Camry V6s, some supercharged. That would be tempting.


Hellbound

2,378 posts

130 months

Monday 3rd February
quotequote all
J4CKO said:
Always thought these were the best looking MR2, and can still get something nice for not much money, saw this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1998-TOYOTA-MR2-GT-REV-...

If you arent bothered about turbos that looks a decent example, not much that did the rounds on Gran Turismo is still fairly cheap, can go cheaper still but quite a few heaps out there.
Been watching that seller on and off. Seems to have quite a few clean SW20's and all priced sensibly. One was actually undervalued (white t-bar, very low miles for little above £5k).

Only issue for me is although I love them, having had two, I just couldn't part with that sort of cash knowing I could just buy a Cayman and have a more modern ownership experience with a better handling car.

rodericb

2,044 posts

80 months

Monday 3rd February
quotequote all
CDP said:
PhantomPH said:
ate one too said:
Photographed on a white background would make it worth £19,995 ...... wink
I got that reference. winkbiggrin
Amazing what an asset a white studio can be to a classic car dealer...
On a "lake": £34,995

ate one too

1,945 posts

100 months

Monday 3rd February
quotequote all
rodericb said:
CDP said:
PhantomPH said:
ate one too said:
Photographed on a white background would make it worth £19,995 ...... wink
I got that reference. winkbiggrin
Amazing what an asset a white studio can be to a classic car dealer...
On a "lake": £34,995
hehe


dufunk

182 posts

77 months

Monday 3rd February
quotequote all
0-60 in 6.5 aye if your driving like a granda!

fullleather

158 posts

75 months

Monday 3rd February
quotequote all
Will be getting my 2000 on 'the lake' when sale day comes along. That or some random white brick wall..

Jon_S_Rally

810 posts

42 months

Monday 3rd February
quotequote all
For all those slating these classic car dealers and their photography techniques, how are your classic car businesses doing? It's very easy to criticise others from behind your keyboard. If they're doing it and making a living, good luck to them.

As for this, I rather like these. They never seemed to get quite the following of other turbocharged Japanese cars, which seemed a shame given the ingredients.

One thing though - why do so many PH articles have digs at modified cars? Isn't this supposed to be a place for all fans of interesting/exciting cars? The cheap shots at modified cars don't half get a bit tiresome.

PATTERNPART

671 posts

155 months

Monday 3rd February
quotequote all
Like these. Not so much with a T Top or sunroof. Got chatting to a guy working on one once and he demonstrated the fancy seats which had bolsters that opened and closed to squeeze you in. I thought that was neat. Practicality isn't much better than an MX5 I would say as MR2 can't have much of a boot.

gofasterrosssco

1,155 posts

190 months

Monday 3rd February
quotequote all
Had quite a few of these. Mk2 is the best 'all-rounder', and plays the small GT role much better than the other two models while still being fun to drive (and relatively raw compared to most modern sports cars).

If I had to choose though, this would be the one. I had one in the same spec years ago, and was really the best out of the various versions of the Mk2 I had (UK spec NA, turbo, V6 etc.). Nicer 2.0L NA engine with a it more torque and a slightly gutsier delivery, sounded lovely and has better traction due to the TorSen LSD. Lighter than a turbo (1,220 kg) so handled better too!

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/...

Manx V8V

469 posts

36 months

Monday 3rd February
quotequote all
I had one of these in the late 1990's, following on from an original 1600 Mark 1 which I loved, I then bought a Mark 2 UK car before spotting one of these at an import dealer, a test drive had me ageeing a PX within minutes, it was awesome!!

These imports went like an MR2 looked like it should but in the case of the UK model never really did, it had fantastic performance, and also all the extras lacking in the UK car such as air con, traction control, electronic power steering, and even those 'seeing' headlights which turn the beam with the steering wheel, and this was a 1992 car!!

I paid 12k for it, and my only regret was the depreciation, when I sold it a year later I struggled to get 6k for it, as in the preceeding 12 months a whole flood of them had come in to the UK driving the prices down.

Mine was a Red GTS Turbo T Bar, I added the factory leather seats from a UK car as the imports always seemed to come with cloth, otherwise it was bog standard and I often wish i'd kept it,

ate one too

1,945 posts

100 months

Monday 3rd February
quotequote all
Jon_S_Rally said:
For all those slating these classic car dealers and their photography techniques, how are your classic car businesses doing? It's very easy to criticise others from behind your keyboard. If they're doing it and making a living, good luck to them.

As for this, I rather like these. They never seemed to get quite the following of other turbocharged Japanese cars, which seemed a shame given the ingredients.

One thing though - why do so many PH articles have digs at modified cars? Isn't this supposed to be a place for all fans of interesting/exciting cars? The cheap shots at modified cars don't half get a bit tiresome.
Calm down dear - it's only a bit of fun.

Sam.M

517 posts

5 months

Monday 3rd February
quotequote all
I had a Revision3 SW20 GT-S for 5 years, covered 60,000 miles in it. Bought it in 2009 with 55,000 miles for £3500.

It was the most reliable car I've ever owned. It had a fujitsubo exhaust, decat, ARC Airbox, Boost controller and I retrofitted the water/air chargecooler from an ST205 GT-4. With just the exhaust and airbox, it made 285hp at Charlies place. I was running 14psi day to day, probably just north of 300hp.

Never failed me, in the time I owned it I did clutch, brakes, some paintwork, one shock needed replacing and that was about it.

It was a great daily, not the most amazing chassis admittedly(really sensitive to alignment and tyres!!), certainly not compared to the FD that I had after it but overall a good, reliable fast car. Would I pay 10k for one now? Probably not.

Edited by Sam.M on Monday 3rd February 14:07

Jon_S_Rally

810 posts

42 months

Monday 3rd February
quotequote all
ate one too said:
Calm down dear - it's only a bit of fun.
If you think that's fun, you might want to try turning your computer off and going outside...

ate one too

1,945 posts

100 months

Monday 3rd February
quotequote all
Jon_S_Rally said:
ate one too said:
Calm down dear - it's only a bit of fun.
If you think that's fun, you might want to try turning your computer off and going outside...
Why ? Are you waiting for me ? punch

Jon_S_Rally

810 posts

42 months

Monday 3rd February
quotequote all
ate one too said:
Why ? Are you waiting for me ? punch
I'm afraid not, sorry to disappoint you.

Just find it a bit amusing how people always judge/criticise others when, in reality, most of them probably don't have the spuds to put it on the line themselves.

markcoznottz

5,585 posts

178 months

Monday 3rd February
quotequote all
I had a 93, superb car. Great control weights not really expected with the image. Short smooth clutch, tiny throw gearbox, and tight turning circle. Really gruff engine note at full throttle, as it was right behind you. Not a car to take the piss out of in the rain though.

ate one too

1,945 posts

100 months

Monday 3rd February
quotequote all
Jon_S_Rally said:
ate one too said:
Why ? Are you waiting for me ? punch
I'm afraid not, sorry to disappoint you.

Just find it a bit amusing how people always judge/criticise others when, in reality, most of them probably don't have the spuds to put it on the line themselves.
WTF are you on about ?

You are the one judging others and criticising a bit of good natured banter on this thread.

byebye


Jon_S_Rally

810 posts

42 months

Monday 3rd February
quotequote all
ate one too said:
WTF are you on about ?

You are the one judging others and criticising a bit of good natured banter on this thread.

byebye
Good natured banter? Are you sure it's not the usual people criticising everything? My only judgement is that people should try something themselves before slagging it off from behind their keyboards.

You can call it banter, I call it being a keyboard warrior/armchair expert. Anyway, enough said. I like the MR2.