RE: Audi RS6 Avant review | PH Video

RE: Audi RS6 Avant review | PH Video

Author
Discussion

TyrannosauRoss Lex

24,315 posts

164 months

Saturday 15th February
quotequote all
gigglebug said:
TyrannosauRoss Lex said:
I still don't understand how people think these are any more subtle than the M, RS or AMG versions....with their ALPINA decals on the different/more aggressive splitters, the decals along the length of the car, the (in my opinion) over-sized and over-fussy wheels and the 4 exhausts. They're nice enough, but more subtle than their equivalent BMW they are not.
You do realise that you don't have to have any of the decals don't you? This may well not be a shrinking violet but it is no where near as cartoonish as the Audi, which I don't mind to be fair but I'd always personally go for subtle aggression as oppose to in your face.

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/...
Yes, I realise that. I'm not sure if it's more subtle than, say, an M3 or M5. Admittedly, those aren't available as estates. It's less aggressive than the RS6, but I wouldn't necessarily think that means subtle. The base Audi A6 with the sport body kit is more aggressive than the 5 series I think, so it's still feasible people would think the RS6 is just an A6 as much as someone would think the Alpina is a glorified normal BMW estate. Both have big wheels and 4 exhausts. Hardly the last word in subtlety, unlike how M5s and RS Audis were 20+ years ago.

gigglebug

1,559 posts

74 months

Saturday 15th February
quotequote all
Just a quick observation on the price of the car in the article after options;

I tried speccing up an RS 6 Avant Vorsprung which kicks off at just over £106,000 basic. I couldn't actually add enough to get it up anywhere near 130k so presumably this already comes with many of the options as standard so would represent the sensible route to take as oppose to adding everything to the basic RS6.

gigglebug

1,559 posts

74 months

Saturday 15th February
quotequote all
TyrannosauRoss Lex said:
Yes, I realise that. I'm not sure if it's more subtle than, say, an M3 or M5. Admittedly, those aren't available as estates. It's less aggressive than the RS6, but I wouldn't necessarily think that means subtle. The base Audi A6 with the sport body kit is more aggressive than the 5 series I think, so it's still feasible people would think the RS6 is just an A6 as much as someone would think the Alpina is a glorified normal BMW estate. Both have big wheels and 4 exhausts. Hardly the last word in subtlety, unlike how M5s and RS Audis were 20+ years ago.
Personally I'd just say that in general there has been a shift to even low rung cars being more aggressively styled over the last 10 or so years. It appears to be what folks want hence S line, AMG line and M performance etc which provide the looks without the performance that many don't require/aspire to. It's probably the complete opposite of the wolf in sheep's clothing cars of yesteryear, now we have plenty of sheep in wolf's clothing which makes it harder for those who might not necessarily care too much to distinguish between them.



I see any number of this type of thing nowadays, not your normal 320D. Which I don't mind to be fair.

TyrannosauRoss Lex

24,315 posts

164 months

Saturday 15th February
quotequote all
gigglebug said:
TyrannosauRoss Lex said:
Yes, I realise that. I'm not sure if it's more subtle than, say, an M3 or M5. Admittedly, those aren't available as estates. It's less aggressive than the RS6, but I wouldn't necessarily think that means subtle. The base Audi A6 with the sport body kit is more aggressive than the 5 series I think, so it's still feasible people would think the RS6 is just an A6 as much as someone would think the Alpina is a glorified normal BMW estate. Both have big wheels and 4 exhausts. Hardly the last word in subtlety, unlike how M5s and RS Audis were 20+ years ago.
Personally I'd just say that in general there has been a shift to even low rung cars being more aggressively styled over the last 10 or so years. It appears to be what folks want hence S line, AMG line and M performance etc which provide the looks without the performance that many don't require/aspire to. It's probably the complete opposite of the wolf in sheep's clothing cars of yesteryear, now we have plenty of sheep in wolf's clothing which makes it harder for those who might not necessarily care too much to distinguish between them.



I see any number of this type of thing nowadays, not your normal 320D. Which I don't mind to be fair.
Which is exactly my point thumbup

gigglebug

1,559 posts

74 months

Saturday 15th February
quotequote all
TyrannosauRoss Lex said:
Which is exactly my point thumbup
Ah, good stuff!

F1GTRUeno

4,301 posts

170 months

Saturday 15th February
quotequote all
An amazing car.

It looks incredible.

Glenn63

726 posts

36 months

Saturday 15th February
quotequote all
Tickle said:
Baldchap said:
So subtle that you can't look at them or test drive them. Salesman tried to put me in a 340i estate when I enquired. I'm meant to spend £65k on 'trust in the brand'. The one they could potentially get their hands on for me to buy unseen was a foul green and looked like a Rover 75 estate. I'm amazed they ever sell any. rolleyes



It would be OK if you were in your 60s, I guess.

Edited by Baldchap on Friday 14th February 17:00
That's really nice!
If I had the cash this is exactly how I’d have mine and I’m ‘only’ 30! Would be completely badge/decal-less and I bet most people wouldn’t know what it was.

MC Bodge

12,527 posts

127 months

Saturday 15th February
quotequote all
gigglebug said:
Personally I'd just say that in general there has been a shift to even low rung cars being more aggressively styled over the last 10 or so years. It appears to be what folks want hence S line, AMG line and M performance etc which provide the looks without the performance that many don't require/aspire to. It's probably the complete opposite of the wolf in sheep's clothing cars of yesteryear, now we have plenty of sheep in wolf's clothing which makes it harder for those who might not necessarily care too much to distinguish between them.



I see any number of this type of thing nowadays, not your normal 320D. Which I don't mind to be fair.
It is interesting and psychologists may be able to explain why people wish to project an "aggressive" image via their vehicle.

TyrannosauRoss Lex

24,315 posts

164 months

Saturday 15th February
quotequote all
MC Bodge said:
It is interesting and psychologists may be able to explain why people wish to project an "aggressive" image via their vehicle.
I don't think that's quite true. I don't think people buy an aggressive looking car to make sure they look aggressive to other people, as you suggest (ie project that image via their car). I think there are several reasons why some people prefer such looking cars. It will come down to the frontal cortex and probably a bit of the limbic system about what we, as humans (and individuals) find attractive.

People don't go find beautiful women attractive and want to be seen with them because they themselves want to look beautiful. There's a part of our brain that just finds "stuff" more or less attractive. Whilst the metaphor may not stand to close examination, I think the principle is the same. Maybe not for everyone wink and some people may choose to think that people like the look of aggressive cars because they themselves want to look aggressive, but that simply isn't true for a huge amount of people.

MC Bodge

12,527 posts

127 months

Saturday 15th February
quotequote all
TyrannosauRoss Lex said:
I don't think that's quite true. I don't think people buy an aggressive looking car to make sure they look aggressive to other people, as you suggest (ie project that image via their car). I think there are several reasons why some people prefer such looking cars. It will come down to the frontal cortex and probably a bit of the limbic system about what we, as humans (and individuals) find attractive.

People don't go find beautiful women attractive and want to be seen with them because they themselves want to look beautiful. There's a part of our brain that just finds "stuff" more or less attractive. Whilst the metaphor may not stand to close examination, I think the principle is the same. Maybe not for everyone wink and some people may choose to think that people like the look of aggressive cars because they themselves want to look aggressive, but that simply isn't true for a huge amount of people.
I assume that the origins of desiring "beautiful" women is about producing strong, healthy offspring.

Desiring a car that looks potent, even if the looks are not relevant to its potency, or if the potency can even be utilised, is interesting.

Ps. I must admit that, at 42, I'm a little out of touch with what constitutes beautiful these days, though. I don't find orange skin painted and botoxed smooth, massive eyebrows, enormous eye lashes, pumped up lips and horizontal, solid breasts attractive. Maybe it's the same with cars?

popeyewhite

11,645 posts

72 months

Saturday 15th February
quotequote all
TyrannosauRoss Lex said:
MC Bodge said:
It is interesting and psychologists may be able to explain why people wish to project an "aggressive" image via their vehicle.
I don't think that's quite true. ...
Linked to self-esteem. The car reflects the image you'd like to portray of yourself. Is one theory.

gigglebug

1,559 posts

74 months

Saturday 15th February
quotequote all
MC Bodge said:
TyrannosauRoss Lex said:
I don't think that's quite true. I don't think people buy an aggressive looking car to make sure they look aggressive to other people, as you suggest (ie project that image via their car). I think there are several reasons why some people prefer such looking cars. It will come down to the frontal cortex and probably a bit of the limbic system about what we, as humans (and individuals) find attractive.

People don't go find beautiful women attractive and want to be seen with them because they themselves want to look beautiful. There's a part of our brain that just finds "stuff" more or less attractive. Whilst the metaphor may not stand to close examination, I think the principle is the same. Maybe not for everyone wink and some people may choose to think that people like the look of aggressive cars because they themselves want to look aggressive, but that simply isn't true for a huge amount of people.
I assume that the origins of desiring "beautiful" women is about producing strong, healthy offspring.

Desiring a car that looks potent, even if the looks are not relevant to its potency, or if the potency can even be utilised, is interesting.

Ps. I must admit that, at 42, I'm a little out of touch with what constitutes beautiful these days, though. I don't find orange skin painted and botoxed smooth, massive eyebrows, enormous eye lashes, pumped up lips and horizontal, solid breasts attractive. Maybe it's the same with cars?
For me it wouldn’t be about promoting any form of personal aggression towards others it is just a simple case of the more ‘aggressively’ styled cars looking more interesting. I do of course have a personal line drawn between interesting and trying too hard but, as with everything, that line will be different for different folks. I suppose the only problem is when the majority of folks idea of interesting becomes the same thing then by definition it is no longer particularly interesting , it is just normal.

TyrannosauRoss Lex

24,315 posts

164 months

Saturday 15th February
quotequote all
MC Bodge said:
I assume that the origins of desiring "beautiful" women is about producing strong, healthy offspring.

Desiring a car that looks potent, even if the looks are not relevant to its potency, or if the potency can even be utilised, is interesting.

Ps. I must admit that, at 42, I'm a little out of touch with what constitutes beautiful these days, though. I don't find orange skin painted and botoxed smooth, massive eyebrows, enormous eye lashes, pumped up lips and horizontal, solid breasts attractive. Maybe it's the same with cars?
I'm 31 and I don't find those features attractive either laugh

sasha320

453 posts

200 months

Sunday 16th February
quotequote all
I may have missed it, but what was the reason for going to the Audi Sport factory in Neckarsulm?

To my knowledge there are no public tours or showrooms to visit.

I may be wrong but just wondering.

A1VDY

1,611 posts

79 months

Sunday 16th February
quotequote all
MC Bodge said:
gigglebug said:
Personally I'd just say that in general there has been a shift to even low rung cars being more aggressively styled over the last 10 or so years. It appears to be what folks want hence S line, AMG line and M performance etc which provide the looks without the performance that many don't require/aspire to. It's probably the complete opposite of the wolf in sheep's clothing cars of yesteryear, now we have plenty of sheep in wolf's clothing which makes it harder for those who might not necessarily care too much to distinguish between them.



I see any number of this type of thing nowadays, not your normal 320D. Which I don't mind to be fair.
It is interesting and psychologists may be able to explain why people wish to project an "aggressive" image via their vehicle.
It's a council thing. The bigger the wheels the fatter the arches and angry depressing look the better.
This Aldi (Council) Estate is a classic example. It's a car for goofy types who actually think it looks good.
Once it's lost £100k in three years it then progresses further down the council scale into the real inner city sinkhole estates and ends up with a load of crap hanging from the rear view mirror, Lassa tyres, shopping list down the door end of the front wings and totally gangsta innit blacked out glass..



Gitwhoismiserable

663 posts

75 months

Sunday 16th February
quotequote all
A1VDY said:
It's a council thing. The bigger the wheels the fatter the arches and angry depressing look the better.
This Aldi (Council) Estate is a classic example. It's a car for goofy types who actually think it looks good.
Once it's lost £100k in three years it then progresses further down the council scale into the real inner city sinkhole estates and ends up with a load of crap hanging from the rear view mirror, Lassa tyres, shopping list down the door end of the front wings and totally gangsta innit blacked out glass..
It’s ok Andy, young council estate chaps have more money than you, let them crack on no need for the bitterness you’ll just give yourself the hump

TyrannosauRoss Lex

24,315 posts

164 months

Sunday 16th February
quotequote all
Gitwhoismiserable said:
A1VDY said:
It's a council thing. The bigger the wheels the fatter the arches and angry depressing look the better.
This Aldi (Council) Estate is a classic example. It's a car for goofy types who actually think it looks good.
Once it's lost £100k in three years it then progresses further down the council scale into the real inner city sinkhole estates and ends up with a load of crap hanging from the rear view mirror, Lassa tyres, shopping list down the door end of the front wings and totally gangsta innit blacked out glass..
It’s ok Andy, young council estate chaps have more money than you, let them crack on no need for the bitterness you’ll just give yourself the hump
Yep, indeed, it's really common that council estate types have enough income to get one of these laugh

Gitwhoismiserable

663 posts

75 months

Sunday 16th February
quotequote all
TyrannosauRoss Lex said:
Yep, indeed, it's really common that council estate types have enough income to get one of these laugh
Yeah if they work as hard as you they may be able to get up the earning ladder, I’m sure a few of the scum bags have made it as high as you in your ivory tower, try not to oppress them too much with your opinion

Blue62

4,409 posts

104 months

Sunday 16th February
quotequote all
It’s quite bizarre how threads derail on here these days, it’s an expensive, powerful car and not everyone’s cuppa. I thought the new A6 is a wide old beast until I saw my first C8 RS6 on the road last week, it is going to be even more of a struggle in some of our lovely 1960’s multi storey car parks! A wheel refurbisher’s dream.

TyrannosauRoss Lex

24,315 posts

164 months

Sunday 16th February
quotequote all
Gitwhoismiserable said:
TyrannosauRoss Lex said:
Yep, indeed, it's really common that council estate types have enough income to get one of these laugh
Yeah if they work as hard as you they may be able to get up the earning ladder, I’m sure a few of the scum bags have made it as high as you in your ivory tower, try not to oppress them too much with your opinion
I've never come across someone living in a council estate who drives a £100k car. I have seen people grow up in one who have become successful and got expensive cars. They tend not to continue living in a council estate once they've that much money though.