Coronavirus = empty roads

Coronavirus = empty roads

Author
Discussion

Speed Badger

1,108 posts

69 months

Thursday 26th March
quotequote all
kiethton said:
The answer is then to just go shopping further away/near where you need to be...

I needed to get the summer tyres for the Exige so went to get them from the garage in Orpington, 6 miles away, but made sure I stopped by the offy to get a drink for that evening so I could evidence shopping.

Then after fitting the tyres, to make sure all was ok, needing to give the car a proper run and craving the pies, we drove to Morrisons in Crowborough to get them.

We're currently out of ice cream in the house, considering driving the long way to Camber/Hastings to get some this weekend. May then be able to combine it with some exercise and take a walk down the beach. If the car gets banned I'd just do the same on the push bike anyway
You would be doing a good job on spreading yourself around as much as you can. Guessing someone else is using the family brain cell this week?

The Moose

19,342 posts

161 months

Thursday 26th March
quotequote all
kiethton said:
The answer is then to just go shopping further away/near where you need to be...

I needed to get the summer tyres for the Exige so went to get them from the garage in Orpington, 6 miles away, but made sure I stopped by the offy to get a drink for that evening so I could evidence shopping.

Then after fitting the tyres, to make sure all was ok, needing to give the car a proper run and craving the pies, we drove to Morrisons in Crowborough to get them.

We're currently out of ice cream in the house, considering driving the long way to Camber/Hastings to get some this weekend. May then be able to combine it with some exercise and take a walk down the beach. If the car gets banned I'd just do the same on the push bike anyway
How dumb do you have to be?

Chubbyross

479 posts

37 months

Thursday 26th March
quotequote all
I just can’t understand the mentality of some idiots. Stay at home means just that. You can go for a walk/cycle/jog locally but that’s it. Anything else is just plain selfishness and/or stupidity.

This is the reality of what it can be like. And he was lucky and survived.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/26/this...

smartypants

43,387 posts

121 months

Thursday 26th March
quotequote all
Has to be another troll!

Limpet

3,680 posts

113 months

Thursday 26th March
quotequote all
So many in our society seem to have a very hard time differentiating between a convenient journey, and an essential journey. I can't work out if it's selfishness or stupidity. Or both.

I learned on a team call this morning that a 44 year old colleague, with no underlying health conditions is currently in ICU fighting Covid-19. He's on a ventilator, and his condition is deteriorating. I'm not sure how many more of these cases have to be all over the news, and how many more graphic footage has to come from places like Italy before the thick and selfish who can't or won't inconvenience themselves to follow simple instructions, finally get it.

If by going out and about unnecessarily, you just put yourself at risk, I'd be thinking crack on. Natural selection, and all that. But you're not just putting yourself at risk.

smartypants

43,387 posts

121 months

Thursday 26th March
quotequote all
Chubbyross said:
I just can’t understand the mentality of some idiots. Stay at home means just that. You can go for a walk/cycle/jog locally but that’s it. Anything else is just plain selfishness and/or stupidity.

This is the reality of what it can be like. And he was lucky and survived.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/26/this...
It’s getting around the time of year that grass needs to be cut. My Mum is on her own since my Dad died and it’s my duty to cut the grass for her (3/4 of an acre, so a fair plot). Even if I could justify saying that I don’t even go near her and I am solely turning up, cutting the grass and going home who am I hurting? That’s not the deal... we need to try and be as stoic as possible in believing that staying at home means staying at home. Can’t believe how obnoxious and selfish people can be to think it doesn’t apply to them or they invent some grey area bullst.


Shnozz

21,163 posts

223 months

Thursday 26th March
quotequote all
Limpet said:
So many in our society seem to have a very hard time differentiating between a convenient journey, and an essential journey. I can't work out if it's selfishness or stupidity. Or both.
I agree. This arbitrary approach to activities outside of the home is unsurprising but saddening.

I have many friends in Spain who are pleading for people in the UK to isolate now before we end up in a similar situation. Seeing in their press the hospital corridors full of dying people lying on the floor without rooms, without beds and without ventilators is a sobering reflection of what happens when a healthcare system is overrun. As was listening to a Spanish radio station last night (usually an upbeat station) that was taken up with calls in from listeners seeking requests and giving tributes to lost friends and family.

kiethton

11,299 posts

132 months

Thursday 26th March
quotequote all
The Moose said:
kiethton said:
The answer is then to just go shopping further away/near where you need to be...

I needed to get the summer tyres for the Exige so went to get them from the garage in Orpington, 6 miles away, but made sure I stopped by the offy to get a drink for that evening so I could evidence shopping.

Then after fitting the tyres, to make sure all was ok, needing to give the car a proper run and craving the pies, we drove to Morrisons in Crowborough to get them.

We're currently out of ice cream in the house, considering driving the long way to Camber/Hastings to get some this weekend. May then be able to combine it with some exercise and take a walk down the beach. If the car gets banned I'd just do the same on the push bike anyway
How dumb do you have to be?
Its odds and probabilities which are minuscule for all that I have and am likely to come in contact with. When in the car its only me and the Mrs and we're sleeping on top of each other daily. Hence, there is relatively little external contact here....

We are also both also 95% certain we've had it already, albeit very mildly. We both commute into town everyday, used the tubes regularly and had a few days of fluctuating temperatures, taste loss and aches a few weeks back, although it we both weren't great we still went to work (thinking it was just a time of year thing) and got by.....

The media have really drummed up mass hysteria really

Edited by kiethton on Thursday 26th March 13:07

smartypants

43,387 posts

121 months

Thursday 26th March
quotequote all
kiethton said:
Its odds and probabilities which are minuscule for all that I have and am likely to come in contact with. When in the car its only me and the Mrs and we're sleeping on top of each other daily. Hence, there is relatively little external contact here....

We are also both also 95% certain we've had it already, albeit very mildly. We both commute into town everyday, used the tubes regularly and had a few days of fluctuating temperatures, taste loss and aches a few weeks back, although it we both weren't great we still went to work (thinking it was just a time of year thing) and got by.....
I think we've just found ground zero rofl

Think of the probability if you like...... stayed at home?

kiethton

11,299 posts

132 months

Thursday 26th March
quotequote all
smartypants said:
kiethton said:
Its odds and probabilities which are minuscule for all that I have and am likely to come in contact with. When in the car its only me and the Mrs and we're sleeping on top of each other daily. Hence, there is relatively little external contact here....

We are also both also 95% certain we've had it already, albeit very mildly. We both commute into town everyday, used the tubes regularly and had a few days of fluctuating temperatures, taste loss and aches a few weeks back, although it we both weren't great we still went to work (thinking it was just a time of year thing) and got by.....
I think we've just found ground zero rofl

Think of the probability if you like...... stayed at home?
It'd be splitting hairs when considering risk levels, or equivalent to not riding motorbikes again given the potential for death.

I don't have a garden and live in a 580sqft flat with a 2sqm balcony - its not conduative to being outside in your own home. Everybody is comfortable with their own level of risk, the chances I'll take are different to others, don't like it you're welcome to stay at home.

smartypants

43,387 posts

121 months

Thursday 26th March
quotequote all
kiethton said:
It'd be splitting hairs when considering risk levels, or equivalent to not riding motorbikes again given the potential for death.

I don't have a garden and live in a 580sqft flat with a 2sqm balcony - its not conduative to being outside in your own home. Everybody is comfortable with their own level of risk, the chances I'll take are different to others, don't like it you're welcome to stay at home.
They are not telling you to stay at home for YOUR sake it is for the sake of the whole of the population. Just sit down and think if EVERYONE thought exactly like you. They are telling people to stay at home so we don't all get the virus at the same time, they need to flatten the spread of infection so the NHS can keep on top of it.

Being in a flat is tough, that is why you're allowed to go for a walk/run/cycle once a day. Use it. Think outside the box for the other times.

TwistingMyMelon

5,721 posts

157 months

Thursday 26th March
quotequote all
Fckin hell. I cant believe that someone thinks that changing tyres on a toy car, buying ice cream and going for a beach walk are essential journeys!

Limpet

3,680 posts

113 months

Thursday 26th March
quotequote all
kiethton said:
Everybody is comfortable with their own level of risk, the chances I'll take are different to others, don't like it you're welcome to stay at home.
And there is the massive hole in your logic and argument.

It isn't only YOU being subjected to an increased level of risk by you going out and about. The chances you are taking are not just with your own health or life. Far from it.

As I mentioned earlier, I found out today that a 44 year old colleague with no underlying complications is lying in an ICU bed, on a ventilator, and is in a very serious condition with this virus. Others have mild symptoms and recover without medical attention. A 21 year old girl died this week. If you infect someone else, you have no idea what their outcome will be. The way you minimise the risk is to stay at home. So how is it acceptable to do anything else?

One thing this crisis has drawn into sharp focus is just how incredibly self absorbed some people are, and how unable they are to absorb the information about how this virus is transmitted, and the potential consequences of it, and adjust their behaviour accordingly. The headline facts aren't difficult to understand. My six year old niece gets it!

Look at what's happening in Italy, and that's with a healthcare system with many times the reserve capacity of our own NHS. 7,500 people dead, who this time last month were probably going about their business as normal. And that healthcare system is now on it arse and unable to cope, meaning outcomes for others further down the chain are even less certain as basic treatment and care becomes even harder to provide.

Edited by Limpet on Thursday 26th March 13:49

Chubbyross

479 posts

37 months

Thursday 26th March
quotequote all
smartypants said:
kiethton said:
It'd be splitting hairs when considering risk levels, or equivalent to not riding motorbikes again given the potential for death.

I don't have a garden and live in a 580sqft flat with a 2sqm balcony - its not conduative to being outside in your own home. Everybody is comfortable with their own level of risk, the chances I'll take are different to others, don't like it you're welcome to stay at home.
They are not telling you to stay at home for YOUR sake it is for the sake of the whole of the population. Just sit down and think if EVERYONE thought exactly like you. They are telling people to stay at home so we don't all get the virus at the same time, they need to flatten the spread of infection so the NHS can keep on top of it.

Being in a flat is tough, that is why you're allowed to go for a walk/run/cycle once a day. Use it. Think outside the box for the other times.
Unfortunately some people don’t have the cognitive capacity to think outside their own selfish sphere. It’s very, very sad.

berlintaxi

8,153 posts

125 months

Thursday 26th March
quotequote all
kiethton said:
The media have really drummed up mass hysteria really
Tell that to all the families grieving loved ones.rolleyes

Alextodrive

230 posts

27 months

Thursday 26th March
quotequote all
TwistingMyMelon said:
Fckin hell. I cant believe that someone thinks that changing tyres on a toy car, buying ice cream and going for a beach walk are essential journeys!
Thing is, they know they aren't. Nobody is that stupid. Everybody had to go through some form of education in the UK.

They just think they're better than everyone else and the rules dont apply to them, so they come up with nonsense excuses for behaving in a way fortunately the majority of the country doesn't.

They know the risks of their actions are minimal, and they also know scaled up to 60 million people, those small risks become substantial and would continue to inadvertently spread the virus.

What amazes me, is that some people think this is all some sort of game. And I've heard nonsense like, people die all the time, the common cold kills loads of people. As if the fact that we all die eventually and there are other diseases that kill people, somehow justifies all these people that are dying from Covid-19. Like the 21 year old girl with no underlying health conditions a couple of days ago.

Truly embarrassing view to hold.

rainmakerraw

1,077 posts

78 months

Thursday 26th March
quotequote all
North Yorks Police set up road blocks to limit drivers' movements:
https://news.sky.com/story/live-560-000-volunteers...

Note it's a 'breaking news' page, yes the URL looks wrong but it's correct as of posting.

Edit: For when it inevitably falls off the bottom of the breaking news page, text is reproduced below:



North Yorkshire police are bringing in measures to stop people going outdoors

The force will be using checkpoints in the region to ask drivers if their journey is essential.

Assistant Chief Constable Mike Walker, said: "The new and significant restrictions announced by the Prime Minister on Monday evening spell out very clearly what each and every one of us must do to save lives. The message is clear and the warning stark. Stay at home, save lives.

"These are the lives of the people we know and love. Our partners, mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, children, grandparents.

"You may never be in such a position again where your simple actions will lead directly to saving lives."

The force also said the checkpoints would be random and unannounced.

Edited by rainmakerraw on Thursday 26th March 14:35

swanny71

1,934 posts

161 months

Thursday 26th March
quotequote all
kiethton said:
The answer is then to just go shopping further away/near where you need to be...

I needed to get the summer tyres for the Exige so went to get them from the garage in Orpington, 6 miles away, but made sure I stopped by the offy to get a drink for that evening so I could evidence shopping.

Then after fitting the tyres, to make sure all was ok, needing to give the car a proper run and craving the pies, we drove to Morrisons in Crowborough to get them.

We're currently out of ice cream in the house, considering driving the long way to Camber/Hastings to get some this weekend. May then be able to combine it with some exercise and take a walk down the beach. If the car gets banned I'd just do the same on the push bike anyway
Tool

Johnnytheboy

19,370 posts

138 months

Thursday 26th March
quotequote all
Christ, PH is a nest of sanctimony these days.

If you must take your car out for a spin, be sure to be carrying some bags for life and be pointing vaguely towards a food shop of some sort. wink

PorkInsider

3,980 posts

93 months

Thursday 26th March
quotequote all
swanny71 said:
Tool
Sums it up.