Coronavirus = empty roads

Coronavirus = empty roads

Author
Discussion

Vickers_VC10

5,519 posts

157 months

Thursday 26th March
quotequote all
smartypants said:
kiethton said:
Its odds and probabilities which are minuscule for all that I have and am likely to come in contact with. When in the car its only me and the Mrs and we're sleeping on top of each other daily. Hence, there is relatively little external contact here....

We are also both also 95% certain we've had it already, albeit very mildly. We both commute into town everyday, used the tubes regularly and had a few days of fluctuating temperatures, taste loss and aches a few weeks back, although it we both weren't great we still went to work (thinking it was just a time of year thing) and got by.....
I think we've just found ground zero rofl

Think of the probability if you like...... stayed at home?
Ground zero as in peak ?

Rashman

87 posts

120 months

Thursday 26th March
quotequote all
Interesting...
BBC were just answering people’s questions and someone asked if they could go for a drive.
The answer was basically:
If you observe the isolation advice and aren’t going to come into contact with people and it would help your sanity by getting out of the house for a drive, then it shouldn’t be a problem.

No joke.
This was just said on the BBC news while answering viewers questions.

I for one would like to go for a drive.
Car hibernates for the best part of half the year and I desperately want to take it out.

It has much fuel in it.
I would leave my house in the car, drive and then come back home.
No contact with anyone.

I honestly can’t see the problem with this.

V8fan

2,937 posts

220 months

Thursday 26th March
quotequote all
North Yorkshire police do. Starting random road checks:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-y...

Boosted LS1

18,660 posts

212 months

Thursday 26th March
quotequote all
kiethton said:
smartypants said:
kiethton said:
Its odds and probabilities which are minuscule for all that I have and am likely to come in contact with. When in the car its only me and the Mrs and we're sleeping on top of each other daily. Hence, there is relatively little external contact here....

We are also both also 95% certain we've had it already, albeit very mildly. We both commute into town everyday, used the tubes regularly and had a few days of fluctuating temperatures, taste loss and aches a few weeks back, although it we both weren't great we still went to work (thinking it was just a time of year thing) and got by.....
I think we've just found ground zero rofl

Think of the probability if you like...... stayed at home?
It'd be splitting hairs when considering risk levels, or equivalent to not riding motorbikes again given the potential for death.

I don't have a garden and live in a 580sqft flat with a 2sqm balcony - its not conduative to being outside in your own home. Everybody is comfortable with their own level of risk, the chances I'll take are different to others, don't like it you're welcome to stay at home.
Agreed. If you don't get close to anybody then there really isn't the chance of infection either way.

sharepointalex

111 posts

59 months

Thursday 26th March
quotequote all
Rashman said:
Interesting...
BBC were just answering people’s questions and someone asked if they could go for a drive.
The answer was basically:
If you observe the isolation advice and aren’t going to come into contact with people and it would help your sanity by getting out of the house for a drive, then it shouldn’t be a problem.

No joke.
This was just said on the BBC news while answering viewers questions.

I for one would like to go for a drive.
Car hibernates for the best part of half the year and I desperately want to take it out.

It has much fuel in it.
I would leave my house in the car, drive and then come back home.
No contact with anyone.

I honestly can’t see the problem with this.
BBC News on TV or radio?

A lot of conflicting opinions here from the press vs police. Completely agree the necessary vs unnecessary journeys point and being out and especially driving like a d*** means the risk of an RTA and then putting load on the NHS etc.

Maybe the BBC and the police should have a chat! This is conflicting advice and I'm not sure quoting the BBC is going to cut it if I'm out for a drive.

sharepointalex

111 posts

59 months

Thursday 26th March
quotequote all
To be honest I think the majority of the road blocks have come about due to people wanting to go out for spirited drives and general driving like d****s with a huge risk on the NHS load.

Nightmare

4,932 posts

236 months

Thursday 26th March
quotequote all
V8fan said:
North Yorkshire police do. Starting random road checks:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-y...
Which means that if he was going for a circular drive that the only point of ANY possible risk would be when he was stopped by, and spoke to, a policeman!

ARHarh

579 posts

59 months

Thursday 26th March
quotequote all
Boosted LS1 said:
kiethton said:
smartypants said:
kiethton said:
Its odds and probabilities which are minuscule for all that I have and am likely to come in contact with. When in the car its only me and the Mrs and we're sleeping on top of each other daily. Hence, there is relatively little external contact here....

We are also both also 95% certain we've had it already, albeit very mildly. We both commute into town everyday, used the tubes regularly and had a few days of fluctuating temperatures, taste loss and aches a few weeks back, although it we both weren't great we still went to work (thinking it was just a time of year thing) and got by.....
I think we've just found ground zero rofl

Think of the probability if you like...... stayed at home?
It'd be splitting hairs when considering risk levels, or equivalent to not riding motorbikes again given the potential for death.

I don't have a garden and live in a 580sqft flat with a 2sqm balcony - its not conduative to being outside in your own home. Everybody is comfortable with their own level of risk, the chances I'll take are different to others, don't like it you're welcome to stay at home.
Agreed. If you don't get close to anybody then there really isn't the chance of infection either way.
But it wont be like that people will get out to visit a shop, toilet or something. This will just give people an excuse. Stay at home. Its not only about passing on infections its about all the other services that you will/may need.

Boosted LS1

18,660 posts

212 months

Thursday 26th March
quotequote all
What powers have the police got to enforce anything and would it be unlawful ifn they asserted themselves? Even they don't seem organised from force to force. I've just had a 2 hour walk around a nearby lake. Hardly saw anybody and wasn't closer then 20 yards to those who I did. Sitting in the sun was very calming and it's incredibly quiet apart from bird song. It's 3 paces to reach my car so contamination just won't happen at any time.

smartypants

43,387 posts

121 months

Thursday 26th March
quotequote all
ARHarh said:
But it wont be like that people will get out to visit a shop, toilet or something. This will just give people an excuse. Stay at home. Its not only about passing on infections its about all the other services that you will/may need.
And the fact that if everyone decided to go to that nice secluded place it is not nice and secluded any more. In your house you are GUARANTEED to be alone or only with family members. That's the whole point.

We'll have a proper lockdown soon I'm sure because we're obviously too thick as a nation.


psi310398

6,035 posts

155 months

Thursday 26th March
quotequote all
Boosted LS1 said:
What powers have the police got to enforce anything and would it be unlawful ifn they asserted themselves? Even they don't seem organised from force to force. I've just had a 2 hour walk around a nearby lake. Hardly saw anybody and wasn't closer then 20 yards to those who I did. Sitting in the sun was very calming and it's incredibly quiet apart from bird song. It's 3 paces to reach my car so contamination just won't happen at any time.
The wording for legislation to confiscate and crush cars already exists. How long would it take to add the text to the relevant lock down regulations?

And then apply it a couple of times to the knobs who think the rules don't apply to them at a time like this? With or without the driver insidesmile...

Superleg48

855 posts

85 months

Thursday 26th March
quotequote all
How clear does it have to be:

Stay at Home unless it is essential to leave the house.
Do not undertake non essential journeys.

So, fancying going for a bit of a drive fits into which of the above exactly?

Really, it is remarkable how many utter self-entitled plums spend their time working out loopholes to the most urgent request the Nation has had to fulfil in years as a collective effort to try to prevent this country descending into the same state as Italy, Spain etc.

It also appears you cannot reason with these fools, as they all know best and couldn’t give two fks about the impact their actions may have on other people, given the carefully calculated infinitesimal risk that they are so expertly positioned to assess.

I despair, I really do.






Chubbyross

479 posts

37 months

Thursday 26th March
quotequote all
smartypants said:
ARHarh said:
But it wont be like that people will get out to visit a shop, toilet or something. This will just give people an excuse. Stay at home. Its not only about passing on infections its about all the other services that you will/may need.
And the fact that if everyone decided to go to that nice secluded place it is not nice and secluded any more. In your house you are GUARANTEED to be alone or only with family members. That's the whole point.

We'll have a proper lockdown soon I'm sure because we're obviously too thick as a nation.
Exactly. And all because selfish tools thought they were somehow exempt from the government’s orders to stay at home. Some people really are stupid beyond belief.

thedugmaster

1,093 posts

111 months

Thursday 26th March
quotequote all
TCX said:
kiethton said:
The answer is then to just go shopping further away/near where you need to be...

I needed to get the summer tyres for the Exige so went to get them from the garage in Orpington, 6 miles away, but made sure I stopped by the offy to get a drink for that evening so I could evidence shopping.

Then after fitting the tyres, to make sure all was ok, needing to give the car a proper run and craving the pies, we drove to Morrisons in Crowborough to get them.

We're currently out of ice cream in the house, considering driving the long way to Camber/Hastings to get some this weekend. May then be able to combine it with some exercise and take a walk down the beach. If the car gets banned I'd just do the same on the push bike anyway
Big sense of entitlement there,till it's replaced by a raking cough
Agreed. It got very personal today, someone local who I've spoken to at the shops has sadly passed away of it. Same age as me, same number of kids as me, same number of grandkids, fit as can be, football coach for a local kids team.

Stay at home unless you absolutely need to go somewhere local for food or medical stuff, or you're a key worker.

Self employed will get financial help from tomorrow. No excuses now, everything non-urgent should be closed immediately.



Speed Badger

1,108 posts

69 months

Thursday 26th March
quotequote all
Kiethton I'm surprised you actually have the gumption to defend yourself in the face of the overwhelming evidence of how a virus spreads and the damage it is doing.

Also it must be hard to see your screen with that giant penis flopping about on your forehead.

berlintaxi

8,153 posts

125 months

Thursday 26th March
quotequote all
Chubbyross said:
smartypants said:
ARHarh said:
But it wont be like that people will get out to visit a shop, toilet or something. This will just give people an excuse. Stay at home. Its not only about passing on infections its about all the other services that you will/may need.
And the fact that if everyone decided to go to that nice secluded place it is not nice and secluded any more. In your house you are GUARANTEED to be alone or only with family members. That's the whole point.

We'll have a proper lockdown soon I'm sure because we're obviously too thick as a nation.
Exactly. And all because selfish tools thought they were somehow exempt from the government’s orders to stay at home. Some people really are stupid beyond belief.
Quite a few on here unfortunately.

V8fan

2,937 posts

220 months

Thursday 26th March
quotequote all
The UK government have tried to give the public a bit of credit, unlike Spain and Italy where areas of draconian enforcement have taken place. You can go out for a walk (but not in a big group), go to the shops, go to work if you can't do it at home and all possible precautions have been taken. This isn't a 'lockdown' as the press love to call it, but it soon will be if more idiots keep blatting about for larks. Try not being allowed out of your homes for anything at all without a permit...

This is Pistonheads, and there'll be time again for hooning, but not right now.

Edited by V8fan on Thursday 26th March 16:16

MXRod

1,510 posts

99 months

Thursday 26th March
quotequote all
OH has just been furloughed for the duration , That leaves the MX5 on the drive due to be MOTd , although that is deferred , VED not due to November , but insurance due mid May
No chance of getting it out topless for weeks , so SORN is the answer .
Some money back for unused VED , suspend insurance /revert to TPFT
So one less car on the road
Joy !!

Chubbyross

479 posts

37 months

Thursday 26th March
quotequote all
V8fan said:
The UK government have tried to give the public a bit of credit, unlike Spain and Italy where areas of draconian enforcement have taken place. You can go out for a walk (but not in a big group), go to the shops, go to work if you can't do it at home and all possible precautions have been taken. This isn't a 'lockdown' as the press love to call it, but it soon will be if more idiots keep blatting about for larks. Try not being allowed out of your homes for anything at all without a permit...

This is Pistonheads, and there'll be time again for hooning, but not right now.

Edited by V8fan on Thursday 26th March 16:16
This exactly. The government has tried to treat us like grownups by not enforcing a mandatory lockdown. Unfortunately there are some immature children who will end up spoiling it for everyone. Sadly this will involve a lot of deaths.

Stay at home, folks. Plenty of time to drive once this is over.

Johnnytheboy

19,370 posts

138 months

Thursday 26th March
quotequote all
Volunteer for the NHS as a driver, use your car of choice!

I'm going to use my weekend toy to deliver prescriptions rofl