RE: MOTs given automatic six-month extension

RE: MOTs given automatic six-month extension

Monday 29th June

MOT testing back from 1st August - update

Six-month auto-extension is up; if you're test is due in August or later, best get one booked!



Time moves fast in the world of coronavirus legislation. It seems like only a month ago that the government extended MOTs to discourage non-essential travel - when actually that news came at the end of March. But then quite a lot has happened since then...

So, the latest MOT news is that if your yearly ticket is due at any time from 1st August then it will have to get done. That's obviously quite different to the automatic six-month extension that, at one point, was suggested to run until 2021. The change comes as more people are back on the road (probably sooner than expected) and the danger is in travel taking place with unsafe cars. It's believed that more than 90 per cent of UK garages are now functional and testing capacity is around 70 per cent, so there shouldn't be too much by way of a delay to content with.

The gov.uk website states, of course, that anyone self-isolating or living with someone displaying symptoms should not have their vehicle MOT'd. Otherwise it's business as usual, with a new MOT able to keep the old renewal date as long as it's done within a month before. And, for now, that's the only update we have - but expect one or two more soon!



ORIGINAL STORY, AS REPORTED 25/03/2020:
Cars with MOTs due from the 30th March will get an automatic six-month extension in a bid to prevent the spread of coronavirus. The new legislation, which doesn't include cars due for an MOT before the date, is intended to reduce the number of people visiting stations, thereby reducing person-to-person contact. It includes three-year-old cars up for their first MOT, as well as vans and motorbikes, allowing people to continue using private transport instead of forcing them into infection hotspots like buses and trains.

"We must ensure those on the frontline of helping the nation combat COVID-19 are able to do so," said the UK's Transport Secretary, Grant Shapps. "Allowing this temporary exemption from vehicle testing will enable vital services such as deliveries to continue, frontline workers to get to work, and people to get essential food and medicine. Safety is key, which is why garages will remain open for essential repair work."

The UK Government has stressed that drivers should do their upmost to ensure cars remain in roadworthy condition. It said that it's working with insurers and the police to ensure those who cannot update MOTs due before the 30th March - if they're self-isolating, for example - are "not unfairly penalised for things out of their control". But for those without licences hoping to pass their driving tests in the coming weeks, all tests have been suspended for up to three months.


Since Boris Johnson's announcement on Monday, road rules have limited journeys to only those absolutely necessary, such as trips to the shops or for those who cannot work from home. Several road restrictions have been lifted to ease the financial strain on keyworkers, with London temporarily lifting its Congestion Charge and Ultra Low Emission Zone regulations from the start of this week. Certain private car park companies have even waved their fees for hospital staff. It's all in a bid to reduce people's use of public transport services.

For those wanting to double check that their car's MOT due date has been automatically extended, you can do so on the government's MOT history website here, but bear in mind it may take a few days to show the changes. Failing that, for those without a car but access to a bicycle, the classification of bike repair shops as an essential service may come as welcome respite - while the spring sunshine's around, that is.

Author
Discussion

themule

Original Poster:

33 posts

33 months

Wednesday 25th March
quotequote all
phew!

michaeldouglas72

27 posts

90 months

Wednesday 25th March
quotequote all
Meanwhile supermarket shopping trolleys are used by multiple people every day without sanitation, fresh fruit and veg on open display, checkout staff without protection, postal workers, delivery drivers and a multitude others, all with many times more social interaction than your average Joe, go about their daily business without a mask or gloves in sight.

The whole country has ground to halt, costing goodness knows what in the long run, (have you checked your pension fund today?) and yet we are missing blatantly obvious possible transmission opportunities.

Heck, we live in the countryside and my wife won't let the boys out on their bikes more than once a day! Let's hope some bright-spark comes up with a vaccine sharpish before we all end up on benefits.

camel_landy

3,291 posts

141 months

Wednesday 25th March
quotequote all
Which is great but...

Mine expires on the 28th and was booked in for a test. BoJo made his announcement Monday and the garage I was booked in with promptly cancels all tests and closes for business until further notice.

I'm now caught in no-mans-land of being unable to get a test in before my MOT runs out and outside of the criteria for automatic extension. rolleyes

Pity they didn't set the date to include from BoJo's announcement.

M

Lord.Vader

3,178 posts

97 months

Wednesday 25th March
quotequote all
Annoying as one of mine is due 03/04 ... not sure what to do to be honest as no one locally seems open!

V8fan

3,515 posts

226 months

Wednesday 25th March
quotequote all
Why did they all close? MoT stations working around here. Key workers need a legal vehicle to go to work in. Main dealers have shut but small garages working, if they can get spares.

They've taken steps, no customers allowed beyond a barrier 2m from the desk. Nobody allowed inside the workshop. Tea and coffee stuff taken away, no access to the toilets. Tried to get my bike in to get, basically 18 months MoT (already expired) but they're all full til after Monday. frown

V8fan

3,515 posts

226 months

Wednesday 25th March
quotequote all
Lord.Vader said:
Annoying as one of mine is due 03/04 ... not sure what to do to be honest as no one locally seems open!
Why annoying? You now don't have to MoT it until 3rd October!

Mikee19

130 posts

54 months

Wednesday 25th March
quotequote all
Nice Clio Sam.

Lord.Vader

3,178 posts

97 months

Wednesday 25th March
quotequote all
V8fan said:
Lord.Vader said:
Annoying as one of mine is due 03/04 ... not sure what to do to be honest as no one locally seems open!
Why annoying? You now don't have to MoT it until 3rd October!
Idiot, I mis-read it as between now and the 30th!

eybic

9,212 posts

132 months

Wednesday 25th March
quotequote all
camel_landy said:
Which is great but...

Mine expires on the 28th and was booked in for a test. BoJo made his announcement Monday and the garage I was booked in with promptly cancels all tests and closes for business until further notice.

I'm now caught in no-mans-land of being unable to get a test in before my MOT runs out and outside of the criteria for automatic extension. rolleyes

Pity they didn't set the date to include from BoJo's announcement.

M
Garages are still open, maybe phone around to find one that is open.

nunpuncher

1,745 posts

83 months

Wednesday 25th March
quotequote all
Lord.Vader said:
Annoying as one of mine is due 03/04 ... not sure what to do to be honest as no one locally seems open!
Keh!

classic1952

7 posts

62 months

Wednesday 25th March
quotequote all
Mine is due on the 28th March and being a Caterham was booked with a Caterham specialist 18 miles away, who is now closed. Earliest I can get anywhere is 30th March. Why was this not effective immediately?

V8fan

3,515 posts

226 months

Wednesday 25th March
quotequote all
In BBC article:

"It is not being introduced immediately because the government said it must ensure regulations are legally sound before coming into force.

That means there will be a short consultation with key organisations before next Monday."


tombstone

195 posts

171 months

Wednesday 25th March
quotequote all
I'm open..MOTs and services as (almost) normal... A bit concerned on parts supply as I work on stuff from the 1940's to current day..lots of modified stuff too... But, so far, it's a workable situation.
I've always offered collection and delivery, and although I'm not really busy, the phone has been ringing...
Garages who've shut completely seem to be either suffering staff shortages or plainly have a big reserve in the bank...all the independents I know are open..with sensible precautions etc.

MG CHRIS

7,186 posts

125 months

Wednesday 25th March
quotequote all
V8fan said:
Why did they all close? MoT stations working around here. Key workers need a legal vehicle to go to work in. Main dealers have shut but small garages working, if they can get spares.

They've taken steps, no customers allowed beyond a barrier 2m from the desk. Nobody allowed inside the workshop. Tea and coffee stuff taken away, no access to the toilets. Tried to get my bike in to get, basically 18 months MoT (already expired) but they're all full til after Monday. frown
Because a lot of garages and main dealers have taken the sensible step to close. Don't forget most main dealers have anywhere between 10-100 or more members of staff its impossible to keep to social distancing rules. Also with dealers the showrooms are closed and with shortage of staff a lot cant keep open safely.

sjabrown

1,463 posts

118 months

Wednesday 25th March
quotequote all
Whilst not ideal does bail me out of a sticky situation as got MOT expiring in April but anticipating great difficulty getting one done (rural GP, hoping not to be but potential to be working continually and need car for work 8-6 every day)

Cads

180 posts

30 months

Wednesday 25th March
quotequote all
I have one booked for Sat morning although it doesn’t actually expire until 20th April or so.
Is there any point in getting it down now that it has the almost full 6 months extension??
It’s new to me, so am tempted to keep the appointment and get it looked over, I want the gearbox level checked and a few other minor things checked.
Just struggling to see the benefit in getting 12 months ticket right now.

rossub

2,917 posts

148 months

Wednesday 25th March
quotequote all
Wonder when the online records will be updated.

One of mine is due 16th April and still showing as due to run out shortly.

ro250

905 posts

15 months

Wednesday 25th March
quotequote all
Cads said:
I have one booked for Sat morning although it doesn’t actually expire until 20th April or so.
Is there any point in getting it down now that it has the almost full 6 months extension??
It’s new to me, so am tempted to keep the appointment and get it looked over, I want the gearbox level checked and a few other minor things checked.
Just struggling to see the benefit in getting 12 months ticket right now.
I guess the benefit is peace of mind it's roadworthy etc. On the flip side, it's going to be less acceptable as a reason to be out now. I'm pleased I got mine done as it's one less thing to think about now!

munk

177 posts

157 months

Wednesday 25th March
quotequote all
classic1952 said:
Mine is due on the 28th March and being a Caterham was booked with a Caterham specialist 18 miles away, who is now closed. Earliest I can get anywhere is 30th March. Why was this not effective immediately?
Because they need draw a line in the sand somewhere, 30th March is that line.

Is your Caterham really an essential vehicle?

stuart1944

127 posts

163 months

Wednesday 25th March
quotequote all
If a cars mot has expired will this effect the insurance.