RE: MOTs given automatic six-month extension

RE: MOTs given automatic six-month extension

Author
Discussion

A1VDY

2,130 posts

81 months

Tuesday 31st March
quotequote all
If the dvsa don't update your mot and you can't tax it just use it as normal (as far as you're allowed to). The govt have issued this extension, if they haven't implemented it it's not your problem..

gord115

61 posts

134 months

Tuesday 31st March
quotequote all
A1VDY said:
If the dvsa don't update your mot and you can't tax it just use it as normal (as far as you're allowed to). The govt have issued this extension, if they haven't implemented it it's not your problem..
It is my problem if I am fined for having no tax surely!

DuraAce

3,431 posts

114 months

Tuesday 31st March
quotequote all
manracer said:
DuraAce said:
The due date will be updated approx 7 days before expiry.
Plenty of time. No need to worry.
My sons car expires tomorrow (1st April), its not been updated yet.
You don't think that the system is perhaps under a lot of pressure at the moment? Give them a chance.

One of mine expires in a few weeks but if my journey was 'absolutely necessary' then I wouldn't hesitate to use my car if the mot has expired.

gord115

61 posts

134 months

Tuesday 31st March
quotequote all
I will keep a close eye on it, thanks everyone.

66mpg

476 posts

61 months

Tuesday 31st March
quotequote all
The MOT on my Yaris runs from 01/03 so every year I have to start thinking about on 01/02. Not my favourite time of the year to be mucking about underneath a car. This will not change with the extensions.

My MR2 is due 01/07 so will be extended, potentially to 01/01, leaving me to prepare the car from 01/12. I think I’ll be getting it tested as soon as I can, hopefully before 01/10.

Nimby

2,279 posts

104 months

Tuesday 31st March
quotequote all
Ours would have expired yesterday - was extended to 30th September mid-afternoon.

MRichards99

253 posts

82 months

Tuesday 31st March
quotequote all
MRichards99 said:
According to the gov website:

Gov Website said:
Your MOT expiry date will usually be updated on the day your MOT is due to expire. However, it might be done up to a few days before.

You can check your MOT history to see when your MOT expiry date has been extended. Keep checking back if your new expiry date is not showing yet.
Mine expires on 3rd April and they haven't updated it. Not sure why it's taking so long, are they doing it manually?? I wouldn't worry about it, it's all over the media should a police officer be interested in the matter.
Update at 12:20 - mine has been extended to 3rd October 2020 smile

Buster73

3,879 posts

107 months

Tuesday 31st March
quotequote all
Going to be a very busy period for MOT’s in 6 months time , there’ll be plenty caught out.

Jimmy Recard

16,592 posts

133 months

Tuesday 31st March
quotequote all
Buster73 said:
Going to be a very busy period for MOT’s in 6 months time , there’ll be plenty caught out.
No busier than now would normally be, surely?

V8fan

3,349 posts

222 months

Tuesday 31st March
quotequote all
Buster73 said:
Going to be a very busy period for MOT’s in 6 months time , there’ll be plenty caught out.
No, because all the ones due in September will get an extension too. And all the ones due in April will have until October etc... It's why it has been brought in to last for 12 months. Somebody actually thought that one through!

There's nothing to stop you getting it done earlier once a few more MoT stations are back open, I'm sure plenty will.

Athlon

4,056 posts

160 months

Tuesday 31st March
quotequote all
V8fan said:
Buster73 said:
Going to be a very busy period for MOT’s in 6 months time , there’ll be plenty caught out.
No, because all the ones due in September will get an extension too. And all the ones due in April will have until October etc... It's why it has been brought in to last for 12 months. Somebody actually thought that one through!

There's nothing to stop you getting it done earlier once a few more MoT stations are back open, I'm sure plenty will.
I don't think so, they are on weekly adjustments until we return to normal, if that happens at Easter then it will stop. Then in 6 months we will have all the cars on due date plus the extensions..we will be busy !

V8fan

3,349 posts

222 months

Tuesday 31st March
quotequote all
This must be about the fifth time I've put this link up. It was announced as a measure that was going to be in place for 12 months. How much s**t do you think it would cause if they arbitrarily stopped it at 7 days notice??

The new law will be introduced on 30 March when it will come into immediate effect for 12 months.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52036333

If you're an MoT tester how do you not know this?

If you don't believe the BBC article, how about the government online website?

https://www.government-online.net/vehicle-owners-t...

Legislation will be introduced on March 30 and will come into immediate effect for 12 months, following a short consultation with key organisations.

Edited by V8fan on Tuesday 31st March 22:04

Athlon

4,056 posts

160 months

Tuesday 31st March
quotequote all
V8fan said:
This must be about the fifth time I've put this link up. It was announced as a measure that was going to be in place for 12 months. How much s**t do you think it would cause if they arbitrarily stopped it at 7 days notice??

The new law will be introduced on 30 March when it will come into immediate effect for 12 months.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52036333

If you're an MoT tester how do you not know this?

If you don't believe the BBC article, how about the government online website?

https://www.government-online.net/vehicle-owners-t...

Legislation will be introduced on March 30 and will come into immediate effect for 12 months, following a short consultation with key organisations.

Edited by V8fan on Tuesday 31st March 22:04
Where in my direct from the DVSA info at any point does it state this will be for 12 months?

What are the changes?

Vehicles that have MOTs due from 30/3, will have their date moved 6 months forward – so tests due on 30 March 2020 will become due on 30 September 2020, and so on.

How long will this continue? *
The government will keep this under review to manage the spread of COVID-19.

How will it work?

DVSA will start moving MOT expiry dates automatically in the MOT system from 30/3. This will initially be done in a few batches, so that after a few days they are working 7 days ahead. That will mean, say, that every Tuesday – the following Tuesday's tests are moved 6 months ahead.

ash73

17,701 posts

175 months

Tuesday 31st March
quotequote all
Athlon said:
How will it work?
Seems clear to me, they're establishing a process to extend all MoTs expiring that week every week, by 6 months, and they'll stop doing it as soon as the crisis is over. That could be any time in the next 12 months.

So whenever the crisis officially ends an MoT due that week will be extended 6 months, an MoT the following week won't.

Athlon

4,056 posts

160 months

Tuesday 31st March
quotequote all
ash73 said:
Athlon said:
How will it work?
Seems clear to me, they're establishing a process to extend all MoTs expiring that week every week, by 6 months, and they'll stop doing it as soon as the crisis is over. That could be any time in the next 12 months.

So whenever the crisis officially ends an MoT due that week will be extended 6 months, an MoT the following week won't.
Haha ! I know that, that was part of a direct quote that was a q&a on the MOT scheme smile

A1VDY

2,130 posts

81 months

Tuesday 31st March
quotequote all
classic1952 said:
Mine is due on the 28th March and being a Caterham was booked with a Caterham specialist 18 miles away, who is now closed. Earliest I can get anywhere is 30th March. Why was this not effective immediately?
Any mot garage can mot a Caterham, you don't need a specialist to do it, any place you're able to book with can do it..


ro250

499 posts

11 months

Wednesday 1st April
quotequote all
ash73 said:
Athlon said:
How will it work?
Seems clear to me, they're establishing a process to extend all MoTs expiring that week every week, by 6 months, and they'll stop doing it as soon as the crisis is over. That could be any time in the next 12 months.

So whenever the crisis officially ends an MoT due that week will be extended 6 months, an MoT the following week won't.
Which then leaves someone with 7 days to MOT their car as they were thinking it was being extended.

Hopefully they will announce in good advance (say 3 months) that vehicles from date x will no longer get the extension to allow people to plan.

South tdf

923 posts

149 months

Wednesday 1st April
quotequote all
Will get the people who like a perfect MOT frothing at the mouth as the MOT entry for my car shows the mileage as “unreadable” and the following advisory

“Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
COVID-19 6 MONTH EXTENSION”

V8fan

3,349 posts

222 months

Wednesday 1st April
quotequote all
ro250 said:
Which then leaves someone with 7 days to MOT their car as they were thinking it was being extended.

Hopefully they will announce in good advance (say 3 months) that vehicles from date x will no longer get the extension to allow people to plan.
You mean like, maybe, all MoTs that expire before 30/03/21?

People seem unwilling to believe the government's own website saying it will be for 12 months.

InitialDave

6,550 posts

73 months

Wednesday 1st April
quotequote all
Between the government site and the DVSA information, I'm reading it as the policy will be in place for 12 month to allow them to do it, but they're actioning it on a weekly basis for upcoming MOTs, and can choose to stop if they wish.

Without having seen the DVSA comments, I had assumed it would be everything within that 12 month period.

I'd have thought just a blanket update and be done with it would be better, or at least doing them a month ahead of expiry, when people would be able to get their MOT done anyway and tacked onto their original expiry.