Cam Belt (Audi Q5)

Cam Belt (Audi Q5)

Author
Discussion

Fairynuff

Original Poster:

12 posts

13 months

Thursday 26th March
quotequote all
Audi Q5, 2015, 23k miles.

Do I really need the cam belt changing after just 23k?

blue_haddock

809 posts

25 months

Thursday 26th March
quotequote all
It will be say 100k Or 5 years as the rubber degrades over time.

You don't have to get it done but it's at your own risk

Schermerhorn

3,851 posts

147 months

Thursday 26th March
quotequote all
100k or 5 years

Whatever comes first

WonkeyDonkey

1,026 posts

61 months

Thursday 26th March
quotequote all
No audi just state these service intervals as they love a good laugh

S1KRR

12,548 posts

170 months

Thursday 26th March
quotequote all
Fairynuff said:
Audi Q5, 2015, 23k miles.

Do I really need the cam belt changing after just 23k?
Presumably you believe that the rubber in the cambelt doesn't degrade and wont possibly fail taking out the engine.

For what £350ish you want to risk the engine in your £20K car?

Up to you I suppose laugh

bluezedd

751 posts

40 months

Thursday 26th March
quotequote all
If you're the sort to leave it, at least have a look at the condition of the belt all the way round to see what it looks like. If you aren't the sort to do this, you might as well just get a garage to replace it espeically if you will end up keeping the car long term.

Looking at my friends cambelt would have definitely saved him from engine failure. Instead I've ended up with the car for parts. It could go back on the road if I replace the rockers, but what am I going to do with 3 running cars. The parts in reserve have paid off already.

You'll need to look up what a new and old belt looks like, where to find cracks etc though because it can be hard to spot otherwise.

EDIT: If it's a £20k car, just get it changed at the interval and don't bother doing what I suggested. I'm used to buckets and sheds.


Edited by bluezedd on Thursday 26th March 15:10

crankedup

23,811 posts

201 months

Thursday 26th March
quotequote all
I certainly wouldn’t even think it over, it’s a no brainier to change the belt imo. The other aspect is when you come to sell the car on, looking at the service record I would ask as a prospective buyer
‘when did you last change the timing belt’? Answer it’s out of date makes me wonder what else has been skimped on.

MDMA .

5,781 posts

59 months

Thursday 26th March
quotequote all
S1KRR said:
Fairynuff said:
Audi Q5, 2015, 23k miles.

Do I really need the cam belt changing after just 23k?
Presumably you believe that the rubber in the cambelt doesn't degrade and wont possibly fail taking out the engine.

For what £350ish you want to risk the engine in your £20K car?

Up to you I suppose laugh
On the flip side, MrsMDMA says it's all a con by the manufacturers. Her 2005 VW Golf (bought brand new) is still on the original belt. 15 years old now, no problems. Inspected every year by the same garage that services/MOT's it and no wear to it.

bluezedd

751 posts

40 months

Thursday 26th March
quotequote all
crankedup said:
I certainly wouldn’t even think it over, it’s a no brainier to change the belt imo. The other aspect is when you come to sell the car on, looking at the service record I would ask as a prospective buyer
‘when did you last change the timing belt’? Answer it’s out of date makes me wonder what else has been skimped on.
Yup I completely agree. Once I realised the value of the car, I had to edit my post to say just to change it.

thiscocks

2,358 posts

153 months

Thursday 26th March
quotequote all
MDMA . said:
S1KRR said:
Fairynuff said:
Audi Q5, 2015, 23k miles.

Do I really need the cam belt changing after just 23k?
Presumably you believe that the rubber in the cambelt doesn't degrade and wont possibly fail taking out the engine.

For what £350ish you want to risk the engine in your £20K car?

Up to you I suppose laugh
On the flip side, MrsMDMA says it's all a con by the manufacturers. Her 2005 VW Golf (bought brand new) is still on the original belt. 15 years old now, no problems. Inspected every year by the same garage that services/MOT's it and no wear to it.
Must be good pulley bearings then

carinaman

15,803 posts

130 months

Thursday 26th March
quotequote all
There's a niche in the Insurance market for Cambelt Lottery Insurance Cover?

Rather than pay to have the cambelt and associated ancillaries changed you pay the money to an Insurance Company instead and when the belt fails the Insurance Co. pays out for the replacement engine?

Krikkit

19,557 posts

139 months

Thursday 26th March
quotequote all
MDMA . said:
On the flip side, MrsMDMA says it's all a con by the manufacturers. Her 2005 VW Golf (bought brand new) is still on the original belt. 15 years old now, no problems. Inspected every year by the same garage that services/MOT's it and no wear to it.
There's always an outlier, doesn't mean it's not useful for the rest.

Hope the Golf has a non interference setup.

HustleRussell

18,492 posts

118 months

Thursday 26th March
quotequote all
MDMA . said:
On the flip side, MrsMDMA says it's all a con by the manufacturers. Her 2005 VW Golf (bought brand new) is still on the original belt. 15 years old now, no problems. Inspected every year by the same garage that services/MOT's it and no wear to it.
What sort of mechanic will sign off a cam belt for a 15th year based on a visual inspection?

Plate spinner

14,531 posts

158 months

Friday 27th March
quotequote all
I have a general theory on cambelts...

If it’s attached to a car you like or is expensive to you, then it’ll fail catastrophically shortly after the manufacturer recommended you have it changed.

If it’s attached to a shed that owes you nothing and you’ve already decided the next eventual buyer is the scrap man, then it’ll last pretty much forever.

Twig62

571 posts

54 months

Friday 27th March
quotequote all
HustleRussell said:
MDMA . said:
On the flip side, MrsMDMA says it's all a con by the manufacturers. Her 2005 VW Golf (bought brand new) is still on the original belt. 15 years old now, no problems. Inspected every year by the same garage that services/MOT's it and no wear to it.
What sort of mechanic will sign off a cam belt for a 15th year based on a visual inspection?
Pretty much every car we see which comes in with a broken cam belt shows no sign of wear or deterioration on the belt. Personally unless the car is an absolute shed I wouldn't leave a cam belt any longer than 5 years or 50,000 miles. Each to their own though of course !

ruprechtmonkeyboy

995 posts

45 months

Friday 27th March
quotequote all
Twig62 said:
HustleRussell said:
MDMA . said:
On the flip side, MrsMDMA says it's all a con by the manufacturers. Her 2005 VW Golf (bought brand new) is still on the original belt. 15 years old now, no problems. Inspected every year by the same garage that services/MOT's it and no wear to it.
What sort of mechanic will sign off a cam belt for a 15th year based on a visual inspection?
Pretty much every car we see which comes in with a broken cam belt shows no sign of wear or deterioration on the belt. Personally unless the car is an absolute shed I wouldn't leave a cam belt any longer than 5 years or 50,000 miles. Each to their own though of course !
This. Anyone who says they can tell the condition of a belt by 'looking at it' is not to be listened to!

Belle427

4,846 posts

191 months

Friday 27th March
quotequote all
HustleRussell said:
MDMA . said:
On the flip side, MrsMDMA says it's all a con by the manufacturers. Her 2005 VW Golf (bought brand new) is still on the original belt. 15 years old now, no problems. Inspected every year by the same garage that services/MOT's it and no wear to it.
What sort of mechanic will sign off a cam belt for a 15th year based on a visual inspection?
Someone who shouldn't be anywhere near a car.

Sheepshanks

21,571 posts

77 months

Friday 27th March
quotequote all
Got this coming up shortly on wife’s Tiguan - car will be just under 30,000 miles.

It’s got the latest EA288 engine and a big thing was made at this engine’s release that the belt is ‘lifetime’ - yet VW UK is adamant it must be changed at 5yrs.

Plate spinner

14,531 posts

158 months

Friday 27th March
quotequote all
Sheepshanks said:
Got this coming up shortly on wife’s Tiguan - car will be just under 30,000 miles.

It’s got the latest EA288 engine and a big thing was made at this engine’s release that the belt is ‘lifetime’ - yet VW UK is adamant it must be changed at 5yrs.
Well of course they are!!

It would be interesting for somebody to research the servicing policy across 6 or 7 global markets.

If it’s the same belt but different importers have different scheduling, then I think we can safely assume it’s a racket.

Ste372

368 posts

45 months

Friday 27th March
quotequote all
Visual inspection of the belt is pointless.

It's usually one of the guides or tensioner that gives up and then throws/breaks the belt as the engine eats its self.

Or a favourite vw one is waterpump seizing & stripping the teeth off the belt.

Any sheds i have its cambelt roulette. Anything I can't afford to outright replace with a month's wages. I Replace the belt as soon as I purchase the car