What's the largest routine service bill you've ever had?

What's the largest routine service bill you've ever had?

Author
Discussion

Countdown

29,889 posts

159 months

Tuesday 23rd February
quotequote all
SidewaysSi said:
PrinceRupert said:
I didn't pay it, but the Tuscan I am buying has a receipt for £9.5k which includes £8.4k on an engine rebuild.
Definitely routine service work on a Tuscan smile
Beaten to it biggrin

Cobnapint

6,864 posts

114 months

Tuesday 23rd February
quotequote all
Main stealers didn't get their name for no reason. Routine maintenance is such a piss take, most of the stuff on a major service checklist is just bks. Check function of horn. FFS. Check condition of wipers. Etc.
And at the end of the day, a BMW/Porsche/Audi all have their engine oil removed in exactly the same way a Ford Fiesta does. The brakes are bled the same way, the oil filter changed in the same manner, and the air filters will all be in a black plastic boxes with metal release clips.
Yet for some reason, top end cars cost more to work on. It's ridiculous.
And that's before the daylight robbery of washer bottle fluid and paying for the 'technician' to wash his hands afterwards.

Chlorothalonil

3,545 posts

164 months

Tuesday 23rd February
quotequote all
L322 TDV8 Range Rover turbo replacement on one side, and a coolant pipe. £3700 at a main dealer. Local garages wouldn't touch it and the local specialist everyone raves about has ****ed up on a previous car so I won't use them again. Was off the road a week but it's a cracking car and a keeper so will just "forget" the extortionate cost.

Pistonheader101

1,418 posts

70 months

Tuesday 23rd February
quotequote all
Chlorothalonil said:
L322 TDV8 Range Rover turbo replacement on one side, and a coolant pipe. £3700 at a main dealer. Local garages wouldn't touch it and the local specialist everyone raves about has ****ed up on a previous car so I won't use them again. Was off the road a week but it's a cracking car and a keeper so will just "forget" the extortionate cost.
Invest in some tools for the job and you’ll be saving £££ left right and centre. L322 aren’t majorly complex to work on

Eyersey1234

2,138 posts

42 months

Tuesday 23rd February
quotequote all
£936 on my Focus. Full service, cambelt, auxiliary belt, water pump and sump.

snowen250

1,037 posts

146 months

Tuesday 23rd February
quotequote all
Mk1 Eunos failed its MOT in November on the dreaded rusty sills.

While it was there having that done decided i may as well get loads more done while the roads are manky anyway:

Sills fixed so can pass MOT
Bubbling arches fixed
Two new front wings (rusty)
Rust removed from round front screen
Also a new front screen, cos why not?
Full respray (same shade as before so slightly cheaper)
New BOFI racing De-cat pipe.
New 20mm spacers all round to improve the stance.
Wheels (Watanabe RS 3 piece) refurbished and now Gold. They were 20p pieces, so this was a hell of a job for someone.

total cost just over 3.5K. On a bloody MX5. That had a full engine rebuild with extra goodies only 2 years ago.

No, i don't understand it either.

Muzzer79

4,340 posts

150 months

Tuesday 23rd February
quotequote all
£1600

2017 BMW 5 Series

Major service & 4 x new tyres.

Squirrelofwoe

2,876 posts

139 months

Tuesday 23rd February
quotequote all
snowen250 said:
Mk1 Eunos failed its MOT in November on the dreaded rusty sills.

While it was there having that done decided i may as well get loads more done while the roads are manky anyway:

Sills fixed so can pass MOT
Bubbling arches fixed
Two new front wings (rusty)
Rust removed from round front screen
Also a new front screen, cos why not?
Full respray (same shade as before so slightly cheaper)
New BOFI racing De-cat pipe.
New 20mm spacers all round to improve the stance.
Wheels (Watanabe RS 3 piece) refurbished and now Gold. They were 20p pieces, so this was a hell of a job for someone.

total cost just over 3.5K. On a bloody MX5. That had a full engine rebuild with extra goodies only 2 years ago.

No, i don't understand it either.
That sounds bloody good value for what was done!

Granted it's a lot to spend on an MX5, but ignoring that point it seems pretty decent biggrin

snowen250

1,037 posts

146 months

Tuesday 23rd February
quotequote all
Squirrelofwoe said:
snowen250 said:
Mk1 Eunos failed its MOT in November on the dreaded rusty sills.

While it was there having that done decided i may as well get loads more done while the roads are manky anyway:

Sills fixed so can pass MOT
Bubbling arches fixed
Two new front wings (rusty)
Rust removed from round front screen
Also a new front screen, cos why not?
Full respray (same shade as before so slightly cheaper)
New BOFI racing De-cat pipe.
New 20mm spacers all round to improve the stance.
Wheels (Watanabe RS 3 piece) refurbished and now Gold. They were 20p pieces, so this was a hell of a job for someone.

total cost just over 3.5K. On a bloody MX5. That had a full engine rebuild with extra goodies only 2 years ago.

No, i don't understand it either.
That sounds bloody good value for what was done!

Granted it's a lot to spend on an MX5, but ignoring that point it seems pretty decent biggrin
I supplied the new wings myself, so i did save some money from this bill there. But yeah not bad! I'd like to point out if failed in November and arrived home today though! So they have taken time over it.

But it does look fantastic.....

Deranged Rover

898 posts

37 months

Tuesday 23rd February
quotequote all
£2000-ish on a 2004 Range Rover L322 4.4V8 for new valley gaskets, water pumps, radiator and gearbox oil/water heat exchanger.

8 months later I was looking at £3000 for a gearbox overhaul and new torque converter so sold the thing.

Squirrelofwoe

2,876 posts

139 months

Tuesday 23rd February
quotequote all
Deranged Rover said:
£2000-ish on a 2004 Range Rover L322 4.4V8 for new valley gaskets, water pumps, radiator and gearbox oil/water heat exchanger.

8 months later I was looking at £3000 for a gearbox overhaul and new torque converter so sold the thing.
Every few months I find myself looking at these to replace my 2004 Honda Accord estate - fortunately, the regularity of these kind of posts have so far kept me on the straight and narrow - thank you!

In my mind the idea of an L322 Range Rover to trailer our 2 TVRs to & from their winter services sounds wonderful, but I know the reality would be financial meltdown.

I still want one though.


Dr Interceptor

6,059 posts

159 months

Tuesday 23rd February
quotequote all
I know the OP says no bodywork, but it was essential. I bought a classic Mini in 2016 at auction and subsequently had it tested.

"Needs new front floors" was the verdict. Started the work, and new front floors turned into new wings, new front panel, sills, floors, repairs to the rear quarters, a rear subframe, a respray and a lot of new trim parts.

I think the final bill was around £6-7000 (I try not to remember). But I guess that's a full service on a Mini.

vikingaero

5,514 posts

132 months

Tuesday 23rd February
quotequote all
c. £2,200 I think.

On my R55 N14 Clubman Cooper S. It was just a sick little car at that time:

Camchain kit including tensioners and water pump
Reseal oil pan (which also meant a service)
Reseal automatic transmission oil pan (which meant new automatic trans fluid and filter/strainer)
Plastic valve cover
Rear calipers
Front & rear brakes and pads
Drive belt, one pulley and tensioner
Replacement coolant expansion tank
Leaking thermostat housing

And about 3 weeks after that bill, it went back for £300 of more work.

The French engine was a complete piece of junk. It's put me off French cars and MINIs for life. Whenever I see people in MINIs, I just think "You poor sod". MINI - The British Alfa Romeo

DaveH23

2,828 posts

133 months

Tuesday 23rd February
quotequote all
eliot said:
Usually less than £200 because i can unscrew an oil filter, change air/cabin filters and spray some grease on the door hinges myself.
Likewise but that's just the standard pricing from the garage I use.

Maybe £250. Can't remember what they charge for a Major Service and MOT. I tend to put it in for a Major every year. Think they do a basic fluid service for around £70.

valiant

5,397 posts

123 months

Tuesday 23rd February
quotequote all
Not the highest but in relation to what the car was worth is probably up there in routine servicing stuff.

Fiat Stilo worth about £1500 at the time.

Big service inc cam belt and two new mid range tyres came to just over £900.

Sold the car a few months later cry


Jasandjules

65,750 posts

192 months

Tuesday 23rd February
quotequote all
2.8k on my C Class. That did include tyres but worst of all was £700 for a fecking sensor. A sensor which if the car did not have it would not start....

Speed Badger

1,395 posts

80 months

Tuesday 23rd February
quotequote all
Mine was at Kwik-Fit. Spent £850 on Tyres, an exhaust and an air con recharge.

I wouldn't have minded, but I'd only gone in to ask for directions...

HustleRussell

18,899 posts

123 months

Tuesday 23rd February
quotequote all
Jasandjules said:
2.8k on my C Class. That did include tyres but worst of all was £700 for a fecking sensor. A sensor which if the car did not have it would not start....
Crankshaft position?

Every day a journey

173 posts

1 month

Tuesday 23rd February
quotequote all
Back in 1998 a mate got hit with a £12,500 on a 12 month old DB7 that he'd owned for all of six months. eek

BoE inflation calculator now shows that as £22,500


Jasandjules

65,750 posts

192 months

Tuesday 23rd February
quotequote all
HustleRussell said:
Jasandjules said:
2.8k on my C Class. That did include tyres but worst of all was £700 for a fecking sensor. A sensor which if the car did not have it would not start....
Crankshaft position?
Nope it was the sensor that measures ad-blue. The car thinks there is none and so it gives you about 200 miles to get it repaired or it won't start.....It appears to be a common problem.