RE: Audi RS e-tron GT | UK Review

RE: Audi RS e-tron GT | UK Review

Author
Discussion

Evanivitch

8,793 posts

86 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
BlackWidow13 said:
2.4 tonnes. That is a lot of tonnes.
The RS7 is over 2 tonnes too! Lightweight isn't part of the target market.

steveb8189

345 posts

155 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
fantheman80 said:
Jon_S_Rally said:
Wheels are shocking though. So many EVs seem to have really awful wheels.
Yeah why is this? Wonder if its to help the quinola brigade when they see it parked up. "This is nice Josh, wonder if its electric. Oh it is you can tell by the gash wheels.' All tryng to be too scifi...
It's for aero purposes but I don't know how much difference it actually makes. On a bike a disk wheel can reduce drag by up to 10% - even more so when there is a cross wind.

Maldini35

2,702 posts

152 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
whp1983 said:
First EV I actually want... very nice.

Want to see how these depreciate... see if it’s like an RS6 and it becomes more do-able in 3-4 years.

I also wonder if manufacturers will focus on weight reduction a little in future.
I agree it’s a handsome car but will you want one in 4 years time?
Will the battery be past it’s best?
Will the range be creeping down each month?

I don’t know the answers to these questions but I’m not sure anybody else does either.

Is this a £130k car that needs a new battery pack after 8 years?

Perhaps the battery pack can be easily and cheaply replaced? I don’t know.

Again, I don’t know and I’m not interested enough to go searching for answers...yet.
Perhaps after a few years and they hit the £50k mark I might be more curious.

Before I’m flamed I should add that I’m not anti EV but these are genuine concerns that I have.

Otherwise, all I see is a reclothed Taycan that weighs 2.3 tonnes and cost £110-130k.
Pretty car but hardly moving the game on.






kambites

61,031 posts

185 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
hornbaek said:
The end of the ICE is coming nearer - fast.
Probably true, but this car isn't going to have much effect either way on it. Cars in the £100k+ price bracket just aren't really relevant to the market as a whole.

kambites

61,031 posts

185 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
Maldini35 said:
Will the battery be past it’s best?
It will certainly have lost range, but if Audi have done their job properly it should still be very usable. If you look at figures for the model-S (the only comparable car which has been on the market long enough to have such things), the average car has around 93% of its range left after 100k miles and still over 90% at 150k miles (by which point most ICE cars in the UK have been scrapped anyway in the current market).

Edited by kambites on Wednesday 3rd March 08:54

cerb4.5lee

18,467 posts

144 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
I thought adding lightness was always important in a drivers car, whereas now adding heaviness is important for a drivers car. I find it fascinating how times have changed for sure.

It is mad to think that I used to give the E92 M3 loads of stick for weighing 1650kg. I didn't realise how lucky I was to have a performance car that only weighed 1650kg! biggrin

nigelsanderson

3 posts

154 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
BlackWidow13 said:
2.4 tonnes. That is a lot of tonnes.

3.3s 0-60. That is a lot of shove to move those tonnes.

Must have quite an appetite for pads, discs and tyres.

Nice looking. Better looking than the Taycan IMO but it’s all subjective.
It will have regenerative braking so most of the braking will be done by the motor. Discs and pads will therefore last well. Tyres probably not so much.

braddo

7,507 posts

152 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
kambites said:
It will certainly have lost range, but if Audi have done their job properly it should still be very usable. If you look at figures for the model-S (the only comparable car which has been on the market long enough to have such things), the average car has around 93% of its range left after 100k miles and still over 90% at 150k miles (by which point most ICE cars in the UK have been scrapped anyway in the current market).

Edited by kambites on Wednesday 3rd March 08:54
Interesting to know - impressive.

Maldini35

2,702 posts

152 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
kambites said:
It will certainly have lost range, but if Audi have done their job properly it should still be very usable. If you look at figures for the model-S (the only comparable car which has been on the market long enough to have such things), the average car has around 94% of its range left after 100k miles.
That’s good to know thumbup

loveice

614 posts

211 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
I wish Audi would simply reuse its RSQ concept car from film i Robot. It was such a clean design that would suit an electric supercar perfectly.

ChrisCh86

194 posts

8 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
This looks great, and I love the interior.

But I don't think I could get over how behind the drivetrain tech & efficiency is compared to Tesla. If I were in the market, I don't think I could overlook this.

Hopefully in the next few years they'll be able to close the gap and increase the range significantly!

hornbaek

3,380 posts

199 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
Maldini35 said:
whp1983 said:
First EV I actually want... very nice.

Want to see how these depreciate... see if it’s like an RS6 and it becomes more do-able in 3-4 years.

I also wonder if manufacturers will focus on weight reduction a little in future.
I agree it’s a handsome car but will you want one in 4 years time?
Will the battery be past it’s best?
Will the range be creeping down each month?

I don’t know the answers to these questions but I’m not sure anybody else does either.

Is this a £130k car that needs a new battery pack after 8 years?

Perhaps the battery pack can be easily and cheaply replaced? I don’t know.

Again, I don’t know and I’m not interested enough to go searching for answers...yet.
Perhaps after a few years and they hit the £50k mark I might be more curious.

Before I’m flamed I should add that I’m not anti EV but these are genuine concerns that I have.

Otherwise, all I see is a reclothed Taycan that weighs 2.3 tonnes and cost £110-130k.
Pretty car but hardly moving the game on.
I completely agree with your post and I am definitely not an EV evangelist BUT - shouldn’t you really ask the question whether the traditional V8 ICE has a future in 5 years time? Today’s EV might have lost 50% of their value and will be overtaken by new tech, but the quicker that happens the more the traditional ICE will disappear. I’m turning very bearish on ICE. There are just too many forces moving against it.

TyrannosauRoss Lex

26,773 posts

176 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
Terminator X said:
R8 prices so is it competing with the R8? Can't see the weight but may have missed it.

I absolutely hate EV however this has certainly piqued my interest eek

TX.

Edit - 2,347kg yikes
The R8 isn't touted as a GT car, it's a sports car. This is a GT car, so perhaps more akin to, say, an RS7 or a Bentley CGT.

Panjy

141 posts

110 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
I like the look of that, definately better looking than the Porsche alternative.

Refreshing to see that they realise we don't all want a SUV with van type proportions too!

TyrannosauRoss Lex

26,773 posts

176 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
Maldini35 said:
whp1983 said:
First EV I actually want... very nice.

Want to see how these depreciate... see if it’s like an RS6 and it becomes more do-able in 3-4 years.

I also wonder if manufacturers will focus on weight reduction a little in future.
I agree it’s a handsome car but will you want one in 4 years time?
Will the battery be past it’s best?
Will the range be creeping down each month?

I don’t know the answers to these questions but I’m not sure anybody else does either.

Is this a £130k car that needs a new battery pack after 8 years?

Perhaps the battery pack can be easily and cheaply replaced? I don’t know.

Again, I don’t know and I’m not interested enough to go searching for answers...yet.
Perhaps after a few years and they hit the £50k mark I might be more curious.

Before I’m flamed I should add that I’m not anti EV but these are genuine concerns that I have.

Otherwise, all I see is a reclothed Taycan that weighs 2.3 tonnes and cost £110-130k.
Pretty car but hardly moving the game on.
RE "I'm not sure anyone does" is not true. I'm pretty sure at least the manufacturers of the batteries know. Looks like some of the Teslas that have been on the market are still doing well after well over 100k miles, even 150k miles so I wouldn't be concerned about it.

kambites

61,031 posts

185 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
hornbaek said:
I completely agree with your post and I am definitely not an EV evangelist BUT - shouldn’t you really ask the question whether the traditional V8 ICE has a future in 5 years time? Today’s EV might have lost 50% of their value and will be overtaken by new tech, but the quicker that happens the more the traditional ICE will disappear. I’m turning very bearish on ICE. There are just too many forces moving against it.
yes My Elise isn't going anywhere, but it's got to the point for our family car usage where I just don't see the point in internal combustion anymore.

MrGeoff

358 posts

136 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
BlackWidow13 said:
Must have quite an appetite for pads, discs and tyres.
At that weight and level of power/torque it will devour tyres at an insane rate.

kambites

61,031 posts

185 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
MrGeoff said:
At that weight and level of power/torque it will devour tyres at an insane rate.
Less so than an equivalent ICE car would because the ability to avoid wheel slip on an EV is so much better, but yes if you use the performance it's going to eat tyres.

It's "only" a quarter of a tonne heavier than an RS6.

DaveyBoyWonder

1,080 posts

138 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
Audi have nailed it with the design of this. I love it. The price, less so. But I'm not in a position to go and buy a £100k ICE car anyway.

AlexS

1,443 posts

196 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
MrGeoff said:
BlackWidow13 said:
Must have quite an appetite for pads, discs and tyres.
At that weight and level of power/torque it will devour tyres at an insane rate.
Tyres, possibly. Pads and disks much less so as the bulk of the slowing down with be via the regenerative braking.