Footbrake/Handbrake in Drive on Automatic

Footbrake/Handbrake in Drive on Automatic

Author
Discussion

Higgs boson

899 posts

117 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
juice said:
PH User said:
Blinded by a brake light??
Revved up like a deuce
Another runner in the night

getmecoat
Oh Mann, you're the Boss!

P5BNij

8,474 posts

70 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
Higgs boson said:
juice said:
PH User said:
Blinded by a brake light??
Revved up like a deuce
Another runner in the night

getmecoat
Oh Mann, you're the Boss!
I wonder if the auto box in question has P-R-N-D-5-4-3-2-1....?

Deranged Rover

975 posts

38 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
littleredrooster said:
The manufacturer ZF specifically says not to use neutral when at a standstill. Leaving it in D is fine, footbrake or parking brake - your choice.
Interesting. My car has a ZF auto box and the manual specifically states that you should not leave it in D when at a standstill for a longer period

yellowbentines said:
Nobody will be blinded. Some people will say they are being blinded, but they really aren't, they'll be just fine.
Have you ever sat behind someone in a queue because of an accident whilst they sit on their foot brake for 45 minutes? That’s right - FORTY FIVE fking minutes?? Well I have and, no, I wasn’t blinded but I went to bed with a splitting headache and the three little white blobs in my vision took a day or so to fade.

wst

3,374 posts

125 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
Deranged Rover said:
Have you ever sat behind someone in a queue because of an accident whilst they sit on their foot brake for 45 minutes? That’s right - FORTY FIVE fking minutes?? Well I have and, no, I wasn’t blinded but I went to bed with a splitting headache and the three little white blobs in my vision took a day or so to fade.
Forgive me, but you are probably in possession of a functioning neck and/or eyes that can turn, so could have looked in another direction.

There is also the interesting notion that your experience there was atypical and doesn't actually apply to the conversation at hand. It's like when someone goes "flying is the safest motorised transport around", you can mention this or that crash, which did happen and were severe, but still don't invalidate the point due to being so uncommon.

ClaphamBoxS

189 posts

28 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
P5BNij said:
Higgs boson said:
juice said:
PH User said:
Blinded by a brake light??
Revved up like a deuce
Another runner in the night

getmecoat
Oh Mann, you're the Boss!
I wonder if the auto box in question has P-R-N-D-5-4-3-2-1....?
My handle says Clapham but i’m really from the USA so...Greetings from Asbury Park New Jersey!!!

StuntmanMike

11,671 posts

115 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
juice said:
PH User said:
Blinded by a brake light??
Revved up like a deuce
Another runner in the night

getmecoat
rofl

Jaguar steve

7,194 posts

174 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
StuntmanMike said:
juice said:
PH User said:
Blinded by a brake light??
Revved up like a deuce
Another runner in the night

getmecoat
rofl
hehe

Footbrake to keep brake lights on then into neutral and handbrake once traffic behind has stopped so I'm not blinding everybody by the light.

When I can be arsed that is...

yellowbentines

4,538 posts

171 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
Deranged Rover said:
yellowbentines said:
Nobody will be blinded. Some people will say they are being blinded, but they really aren't, they'll be just fine.
Have you ever sat behind someone in a queue because of an accident whilst they sit on their foot brake for 45 minutes? That’s right - FORTY FIVE fking minutes?? Well I have and, no, I wasn’t blinded but I went to bed with a splitting headache and the three little white blobs in my vision took a day or so to fade.
Stop. Staring. At. It. wink



As said above that is not the norm, and not the typical scenario the OP was asking about.