RE: Mercedes S-Class (W220) | Shed of the Week

RE: Mercedes S-Class (W220) | Shed of the Week

Author
Discussion

aaron_2000

4,632 posts

50 months

Saturday 12th June
quotequote all
hxc_ said:
That looks like a f***ing disaster!
It came from Bradford, it was pretty neglected. If the paint had been decent I would've probably given it some care but it was tatty so I just ran it as a shed. It was bulletproof in fairness

big_rob_sydney

2,786 posts

161 months

Saturday 12th June
quotequote all
stickleback123 said:
Now that's what a W220 looks like in my mind. fked suspension, massive aftermarket alloys, knackered paint, chav tints, upbadging, dopey exhaust. Extra credit for having the smallest engine hehe

I see so many like that I wonder if it was an optional styling pack, like a slightly more tasteless version of the current "AMG Line" which is the only way you can order a W223 S-Class in the UK.
Yes, the "chav pack" strikes again...

Equus

11,371 posts

68 months

Saturday 12th June
quotequote all
Alex_225 said:
For £1,500 it's a hell of a car for the money. The 320 diesel would be the 3.2 inline six that was in my old E Class. Yes it's a bit of a chugger but it's an excellent engine and seemingly better on fuel than the V6 diesel that followed.

If you're prepared for a few rough edges and knowing there'll be features that at some point may cease to work but it keeps going it could be a great car for a few years.

The bulk of my driving is spent up and down the M25, M3 and M4 and I opted for the next generation S Class. Still in my eyes a total bargain but it hasn't been the cheapest to run. Thank goodness for the warranty!

I had a couple of this generation - an S320 and and S500.

Lovely cars to drive, when they were working, but amongst the least reliable I've owned (...and that's coming from the perspective of multiple 1960's Lotus ownership). Both ultimately developed very expensive-to-fix engine (and transmission, on the S500) issues that caused me to trade them on to a dealer PDQ.

njw1

1,661 posts

78 months

Saturday 12th June
quotequote all
milesr3 said:
What I meant was that it’s reached the point where it is worth so little relative my perceived value of it. It still drives like a (very good) £70k car. If I still needed to ‘commute’ 300+ miles in a day then I’d keep it because it’s the perfect tool for the job.

At some point I’ll put it in the classifieds and someone else can put it to use.
Ah, I've had a few cars like that, worth more to me than what someone would actually pay for it. smile

otolith

45,074 posts

171 months

Sunday 13th June
quotequote all
pSyCoSiS said:
S320 CDI is more than adequate to waft along and be decent on fuel. S320 petrol is a smoother and more responsive engine, which obviously sounds better than the agricultural clatter of the OM648 diesel.
I assume that the S class is quieter, but even on the E class you only get the “your minicab has arrived” experience from diesel V6 from the outside. Nasty emissions aside (and they stink, even with MOT friendly emissions), I can’t think of anywhere diesel is less offensive than with six or eight cylinders in something bargey enough that the engine room is somewhere else on the (metaphorical) ship. If you want your Merc to make a nice noise you really want the petrol V8, but if you’re happy with it being smooth and quiet enough the V6 soot chucker is fine.

otolith

45,074 posts

171 months

Sunday 13th June
quotequote all
Alex_225 said:
For £1,500 it's a hell of a car for the money. The 320 diesel would be the 3.2 inline six that was in my old E Class.
Think at that age it’s probably the 3.0 V6 that replaced it in the later E320.

alabbasi

1,430 posts

54 months

Sunday 13th June
quotequote all
I run a 2005 S55 AMG as a daily (split daily since I bought my E320CDI). Aside from the odd ABC hose blowing up every so often, it's ben super reliable. HP:$ ratio can't be beaten.

aaron_2000

4,632 posts

50 months

Sunday 13th June
quotequote all
otolith said:
Alex_225 said:
For £1,500 it's a hell of a car for the money. The 320 diesel would be the 3.2 inline six that was in my old E Class.
Think at that age it’s probably the 3.0 V6 that replaced it in the later E320.
W220's had the straight 6, makes a good noise for a diesel and has a lot of grunt. Not the smoothest engine though although it wasn't bad

otolith

45,074 posts

171 months

Sunday 13th June
quotequote all
Interesting that it was still running the old engine after the rest of the range had binned it - but then the model was about to be replaced.

Chestrockwell

2,444 posts

124 months

Monday 14th June
quotequote all
Crazy to think 2005 Honda accords go for the same amount of money as this!

aaron_2000

4,632 posts

50 months

Monday 14th June
quotequote all
otolith said:
Interesting that it was still running the old engine after the rest of the range had binned it - but then the model was about to be replaced.
It was a bulletproof engine and probably didn't make sense to redesign for a new engine when it was a few years from replacement anyway. I prefer it to the petrols because of the low down torque

otolith

45,074 posts

171 months

Monday 14th June
quotequote all
Yes, the E class got the V6 diesel a little before a mid-life facelift around 2005. Seems odd the flagship not getting the newest engine but not worth it at end of life.

Sheepshanks

24,400 posts

86 months

Monday 14th June
quotequote all
otolith said:
Yes, the E class got the V6 diesel a little before a mid-life facelift around 2005. Seems odd the flagship not getting the newest engine but not worth it at end of life.
I've no idea but it might simply be down to not wanting to change multiple components across multiple models at the same time.

IIRC the emissions regs were tightening around then so dpfs were need to comply and it's around then that the gearbox changed from 5 to 7 speed.

Alex_225

4,416 posts

168 months

Monday 14th June
quotequote all
Equus said:
I had a couple of this generation - an S320 and and S500.

Lovely cars to drive, when they were working, but amongst the least reliable I've owned (...and that's coming from the perspective of multiple 1960's Lotus ownership). Both ultimately developed very expensive-to-fix engine (and transmission, on the S500) issues that caused me to trade them on to a dealer PDQ.
Yes, it's been an interesting first 12 months with the W221. Fortunately most of the known issues these cars have, presented themselves within the warranty period.

Speed senor failed, all replaced. EGR valve failed, replaced. Gearbox conductor plate, replaced. Leaking valve from airmatic, replaced. That lot came to around £2k.

The first MOT cost me £1,200 although that did include two tyres so knock £300 off for those. Amp needed to be refurbished, such a common issue I found a guy who's started offering this as a service so there's £400. Tail light LED was £130ish.

So yeah not cheap but totally worth it in my eyes, it's probably the best car I've ever driven for a long distances.

stickleback123

8,045 posts

156 months

Monday 14th June
quotequote all
Alex_225 said:
Yes, it's been an interesting first 12 months with the W221. Fortunately most of the known issues these cars have, presented themselves within the warranty period.

Speed senor failed, all replaced. EGR valve failed, replaced. Gearbox conductor plate, replaced. Leaking valve from airmatic, replaced. That lot came to around £2k.

The first MOT cost me £1,200 although that did include two tyres so knock £300 off for those. Amp needed to be refurbished, such a common issue I found a guy who's started offering this as a service so there's £400. Tail light LED was £130ish.

So yeah not cheap but totally worth it in my eyes, it's probably the best car I've ever driven for a long distances.
I've been running a W221 for a little under a year now, and if I didn't DIY things and have access to a genuine MB computer for software updates and diagnostic it would absolutely eat money. Mine is a V12 so has the old 5G box, so luckily I dodge the various 7G issues, but it's a perpetual and seemingly neverending series of niggles and issues ranging from broken pneumatic hoses for the seats to a failing ignition module (£1500 part from MB, £590 remanufactured from the US).

As you say it's a fantastic car for long distances when though.

MadDog1962

830 posts

129 months

Monday 14th June
quotequote all
Just over 6 months left on the MoT, which it passed without advisories on 9th January. The mileage doesn't look too crazy for a diesel.

I bet it's sold already.

CDP

6,938 posts

221 months

Monday 14th June
quotequote all
E36Ross said:
I realllllllllly like these, Problem is in Ireland it's €1,800 a year to tax a 320.
Wow, but your roads must be pristine.

Grivas22

1 posts

1 month

Tuesday 15th June
quotequote all
I ran one of these for 4 years and about 40,000 miles. Moved it on for a MB R Class which seemed unwanted by the Lexus dealer who had taken it in PX.

The W220 was a cracking car. Well appointed with Xenons and a sunroof, it lacked nothing to enhance the general smugness of having a rather superior car. Averaged 40 mpg throughout the time I had it, with no faults or repairs. Tyres (40,000) and brake pads (never need to change the originals) lasted extremely well for a large car. No corrosion on my 2005 car - I believe the MB rust era was for cars built between 1998 and 2003 - which coincided with their partnership with another company).

I have always regretted selling it, but the need for more flexible accommodation and 4x4 seemed to be priorities at the time. (I now have a Skoda Kodiaq which ticks all the boxes, averages 42.5 mpg and has all the comfort and reliability of the W220, plus much more flexible accommodation.)

CDP

6,938 posts

221 months

Tuesday 15th June
quotequote all
Chestrockwell said:
Crazy to think 2005 Honda accords go for the same amount of money as this!
I'm guessing Honda Accords are probably a safer bet for a motorist on a tight budget.

aaron_2000

4,632 posts

50 months

Wednesday 16th June
quotequote all
CDP said:
I'm guessing Honda Accords are probably a safer bet for a motorist on a tight budget.
If you bought one on coils then you could run it pretty much on a shoestring. Even the Airmatic is cheap to fix if you work on it yourself