Best smoker barges 1-5 large [Vol 21]

Best smoker barges 1-5 large [Vol 21]

Author
Discussion

Autobantz

26,074 posts

194 months

Saturday
quotequote all
Cheeky little update on the S600 now that I'm 3 weeks in...

Car was delivered. Drove it very gently home, expecting it to explode. Went on holiday. Came back expecting:

A) a lake of fluids on the garage floor;
B) collapsed suspension;
C) it not to start; or
D) all of the above

I'm happy/confused/terrified to report that it did none of the above. Garage was dry, suspension hadn't dropped a millimetre and it whirred into life on the button (exotic sounding starter motor and higher than expected idle is very money supermarket).

So far so good(ish).

Current Bork list that I have identified (*evident at purchase)

- 50-60mph wheel shimmy (offside front wheel is slightly bent, praying that this is the cause)
- *front active seats don't work
-spare wheel tyre valve is (inexplicably) split
- very minor weep of hydrocarbons from top of engine (suspect rocker gasket)

I could write a book on how it drives, but I'll compare it instead to Autobantz Snr's new 'M' 740d (the one with the MASSIVE GRILLE). That car to me drives like a big 5-series... And that's not a compliment. NVH levels are far higher than you'd expect, the damping feels unsophisticated and the ride is generally busy. Not unpleasant, but not what I expected either.

The old W221 by comparison (admidely a much more expensive car than the equivalent 7er would have been), drives like you'd expect of a big luxo-barge. It's eerily quiet, turbine smooth and delivers earth-stopping reserves of torque from nowhere. It also handles surprisingly well, too. The ABC suspension is remarkable; a marvel even now. If pushed for comparison, I'd say it drives like a Continental GT (never driven the Spur). And yet, the current gen BMW 7er is extremely popular out here. I have no idea why.



Going to stick it into the specialist for a full service and a once over. Wish me luck!

TyrannosauRoss Lex

30,967 posts

192 months

Saturday
quotequote all
Autobantz said:
Cheeky little update on the S600 now that I'm 3 weeks in...

Car was delivered. Drove it very gently home, expecting it to explode. Went on holiday. Came back expecting:

A) a lake of fluids on the garage floor;
B) collapsed suspension;
C) it not to start; or
D) all of the above

I'm happy/confused/terrified to report that it did none of the above. Garage was dry, suspension hadn't dropped a millimetre and it whirred into life on the button (exotic sounding starter motor and higher than expected idle is very money supermarket).

So far so good(ish).

Current Bork list that I have identified (*evident at purchase)

- 50-60mph wheel shimmy (offside front wheel is slightly bent, praying that this is the cause)
- *front active seats don't work
-spare wheel tyre valve is (inexplicably) split
- very minor weep of hydrocarbons from top of engine (suspect rocker gasket)

I could write a book on how it drives, but I'll compare it instead to Autobantz Snr's new 'M' 740d (the one with the MASSIVE GRILLE). That car to me drives like a big 5-series... And that's not a compliment. NVH levels are far higher than you'd expect, the damping feels unsophisticated and the ride is generally busy. Not unpleasant, but not what I expected either.

The old W221 by comparison (admidely a much more expensive car than the equivalent 7er would have been), drives like you'd expect of a big luxo-barge. It's eerily quiet, turbine smooth and delivers earth-stopping reserves of torque from nowhere. It also handles surprisingly well, too. The ABC suspension is remarkable; a marvel even now. If pushed for comparison, I'd say it drives like a Continental GT (never driven the Spur). And yet, the current gen BMW 7er is extremely popular out here. I have no idea why.



Going to stick it into the specialist for a full service and a once over. Wish me luck!
That's fantastic! Could it be that the new 7er is on basic suspension, and a higher spec example on air would be better?

Have you got a reader's ride thread going?

Autobantz

26,074 posts

194 months

Saturday
quotequote all
TyrannosauRoss Lex said:
That's fantastic! Could it be that the new 7er is on basic suspension, and a higher spec example on air would be better?

Have you got a reader's ride thread going?
Cheers!

Haven't done a reader's wives thing yet, but I'll stick something up. If anything, it'll be a cathartic means of articulating my spreadsheet of doom.

TyrannosauRoss Lex

30,967 posts

192 months

Saturday
quotequote all
Autobantz said:
TyrannosauRoss Lex said:
That's fantastic! Could it be that the new 7er is on basic suspension, and a higher spec example on air would be better?

Have you got a reader's ride thread going?
Cheers!

Haven't done a reader's wives thing yet, but I'll stick something up. If anything, it'll be a cathartic means of articulating my spreadsheet of doom.
I have one for my LS460, but it's decidedly dull because it's largely been fine hehe

I'd adore an S600, but my plums aren't big enough.

Autobantz

26,074 posts

194 months

Saturday
quotequote all
TyrannosauRoss Lex said:
my plums aren't big enough.
I'm about to find out if mine are... eek

QBee

19,068 posts

124 months

Saturday
quotequote all
Autobantz said:
TyrannosauRoss Lex said:
my plums aren't big enough.
I'm about to find out if mine are... eek
Suspect you might need nectarines instead of plums, but hope you don't. Good luck, it looks the business.

Bonefish Blues

20,853 posts

203 months

Saturday
quotequote all
It does. Not flashy, just the epitome of 'Get out of my way peasant, I've got another 400km of tarmac to crush before dinner' chic smile

Autobantz

26,074 posts

194 months

Saturday
quotequote all
Bonefish Blues said:
It does. Not flashy, just the epitome of 'Get out of my way peasant, I've got another 400km of tarmac to crush before dinner' chic smile
I've always wanted one in black.

This one's so black, it's got black leather roof lining.

Despite their commonality out here, a big black Merc Sonderklasse still carries an air of authority in the outside lane. Only my Land Cruiser matches it for rear view mirror dominance. And sadly, it's needed out here; lane discipline is otherwise nonexistent.


TyrannosauRoss Lex

30,967 posts

192 months

Saturday
quotequote all
Autobantz said:
Bonefish Blues said:
It does. Not flashy, just the epitome of 'Get out of my way peasant, I've got another 400km of tarmac to crush before dinner' chic smile
I've always wanted one in black.

This one's so black, it's got black leather roof lining.

Despite their commonality out here, a big black Merc Sonderklasse still carries an air of authority in the outside lane. Only my Land Cruiser matches it for rear view mirror dominance. And sadly, it's needed out here; lane discipline is otherwise nonexistent.
I'd absolutely love a V12 barge. I just worry that it'd financially ruin me when I should be paying off my mortgage hehe

Autobantz

26,074 posts

194 months

Saturday
quotequote all
TyrannosauRoss Lex said:
That's fantastic! Could it be that the new 7er is on basic suspension, and a higher spec example on air would be better?
Missed this bit, sorry.

I'm not au fait with the inner gubbins of obscure German cars any more (kids have dulled my brain), so I'm not sure if G11 7er is air sprung throughout, or whether this is reserved for the top models only.

Certainly, every S-class since 2006 has been air sprung or hydraulically so for the big bad versions.

But as a comparison, I once borrowed a steel sprung E65 730i with 265,000 KMs on it. By most metrics it was knackered (most of the toys didn't work / one door didn't open etc). And yet, it drove nicer than the G11....

Proposterous! I hear you shout. Well sure, a G11 steers sharper and actually has some damping (I'd wager the shocks in that old E65 were also shagged), but the E65 was quieter, smother and rode far, far better. All the things you want in a motorway muncher. And the seats with those split backrests... They were fabulous.

Make of that what you will. I find the latest 7er quite IKEA feeling. You can tell it's a big BMW with lots of bells and whistles (inc. ghastly key fob) and plenty of leather. But shut your eyes, and you'd struggle to tell it was the most expensive range of cars BMW makes.

And just in the interests of absolute fairness, I did drive an S350 W221 and that felt like a considerable step down in terms of cabin opulence (plastic dash etc) and engine NVH. But to ride in, it was almost every bit as plush as my big twelver as to make no difference.

Our friends in Munich need to dig their E32/38/65 7ers out of the museum and learn out to make a proper big BMW again (and incidentally i'm no stranger to the marque).

TyrannosauRoss Lex

30,967 posts

192 months

Saturday
quotequote all
Autobantz said:
TyrannosauRoss Lex said:
That's fantastic! Could it be that the new 7er is on basic suspension, and a higher spec example on air would be better?
Missed this bit, sorry.

I'm not au fait with the inner gubbins of obscure German cars any more (kids have dulled my brain), so I'm not sure if G11 7er is air sprung throughout, or whether this is reserved for the top models only.

Certainly, every S-class since 2006 has been air sprung or hydraulically so for the big bad versions.

But as a comparison, I once borrowed a steel sprung E65 730i with 265,000 KMs on it. By most metrics it was knackered (most of the toys didn't work / one door didn't open etc). And yet, it drove nicer than the G11....

Proposterous! I hear you shout. Well sure, a G11 steers sharper and actually has some damping (I'd wager the shocks in that old E65 were also shagged), but the E65 was quieter, smother and rode far, far better. All the things you want in a motorway muncher. And the seats with those split backrests... They were fabulous.

Make of that what you will. I find the latest 7er quite IKEA feeling. You can tell it's a big BMW with lots of bells and whistles (inc. ghastly key fob) and plenty of leather. But shut your eyes, and you'd struggle to tell it was the most expensive range of cars BMW makes.

And just in the interests of absolute fairness, I did drive an S350 W221 and that felt like a considerable step down in terms of cabin opulence (plastic dash etc) and engine NVH. But to ride in, it was almost every bit as plush as my big twelver as to make no difference.

Our friends in Munich need to dig their E32/38/65 7ers out of the museum and learn out to make a proper big BMW again (and incidentally i'm no stranger to the marque).
Very interesting thoughts, and a surprise to hear the E65 was more refined and quiet.

21st Century Man

38,278 posts

228 months

Saturday
quotequote all
TyrannosauRoss Lex said:
I'd absolutely love a V12 barge. I just worry that it'd financially ruin me when I should be paying off my mortgage hehe
Stuck record:

Get a Century, cheap as chips to run, nicely appreciating in value too now.

/Stuck record.

4:30

https://youtu.be/9DDWCSE84MM

Autobantz

26,074 posts

194 months

Saturday
quotequote all
TyrannosauRoss Lex said:
Very interesting thoughts, and a surprise to hear the E65 was more refined and quiet.

Great cars, extremely well engineered, but utterly hopeless electrics and fragile engines (not unique to the 7er).

Autobantz

26,074 posts

194 months

Saturday
quotequote all
21st Century Man said:
Stuck record:

Get a Century, cheap as chips to run, nicely appreciating in value too now.

/Stuck record.
Thought about one of these but parts are not quite as abundant as they are for a Corolla.

TyrannosauRoss Lex

30,967 posts

192 months

Saturday
quotequote all
Autobantz said:
TyrannosauRoss Lex said:
Very interesting thoughts, and a surprise to hear the E65 was more refined and quiet.

Great cars, extremely well engineered, but utterly hopeless electrics and fragile engines (not unique to the 7er).
I had a 745i, yes....they aren't reliable!

TyrannosauRoss Lex

30,967 posts

192 months

Saturday
quotequote all
21st Century Man said:
TyrannosauRoss Lex said:
I'd absolutely love a V12 barge. I just worry that it'd financially ruin me when I should be paying off my mortgage hehe
Stuck record:

Get a Century, cheap as chips to run, nicely appreciating in value too now.

/Stuck record.

4:30

https://youtu.be/9DDWCSE84MM
Pity they don't have a 500+bhp engine though smile

21st Century Man

38,278 posts

228 months

Saturday
quotequote all
Autobantz said:
21st Century Man said:
Stuck record:

Get a Century, cheap as chips to run, nicely appreciating in value too now.

/Stuck record.
Thought about one of these but parts are not quite as abundant as they are for a Corolla.
That's certainly the case for the older V8, nothing is available, but that's not the case for the V12, everything is available. I've had no problems obtaining parts, as long as I can provide the part number my local Toyota dealer can order in and is usually cheaper than Amayama/Megazip from Japan. Used parts are also fairly easy to source too, though there are shipping/duty/vat costs on top.

21st Century Man

38,278 posts

228 months

Saturday
quotequote all
TyrannosauRoss Lex said:
Pity they don't have a 500+bhp engine though smile
Yes, the 330 odd bhp is adequate though, just.

Bonefish Blues

20,853 posts

203 months

Saturday
quotequote all
Is that output also subject to the traditional Japanese underestimate?

21st Century Man

38,278 posts

228 months

Saturday
quotequote all
280 quoted, about 330 actual.