RE: 2022 Mazda MX-5 (ND) | PH Review

RE: 2022 Mazda MX-5 (ND) | PH Review

Author
Discussion

Wren-went

280 posts

15 months

Thursday 12th May
quotequote all
As an ex 08 NC 1.8 owner I would be more than happy with a 1.5 ND if I was buying if someone else was buying me it well obviously it would be the 2.0 of all Generations I still think the NC is by far the best looker , wish around the time of the BBR mx5 Gt270 I would of had the money as they were £30,000 on the road with Mazda warranty think BBR and Mazda produced around 100 - maybe 150 but at the time they were fantastic value , can't even remember when they were on sale as I don't keep upto date with anything mx5 , I only got rid of mine as we couldn't go out as a family in it , now my daughter's in her 20s and left home maybe sometime I'll buy another.

As an ex owner at sometime everyone should have 1 they really are a great car.

cidered77

1,323 posts

174 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
Pro Bono said:
cidered77 said:
But - 30 grand now? i paid just under 25 after discounts.... inflation affects everything i guess, but does it put it in range of a lot of serious hot hatchbacks. which do compete with this car even if on paper they don't.
If someone wants a convertible then they've already decided they don't want a hatchback.
not for all - buyers never as binary as that, especially at volume.

my second car for example, doesn't need 4 seats, but does need to handle commuting and boring jobs around town, not be ridiculous on fuel, have a reasonable sized boot, etc. Means lots of cars come into play, convertible, hot hatches, used sports cars, etc etc. Roof or no roof isnt a big thing for me, personally.

horsemeatscandal

804 posts

81 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
cidered77 said:
not for all - buyers never as binary as that, especially at volume.
Have to agree on that. I have absolutely no requirements for a car other than that it's good. No commute, no kids, no dogs, etc. When I bought my MX5 I was also seriously considering an i20N but they weren't out at that point and I was impatient.

edo111s

195 posts

202 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
horsemeatscandal said:
Have to agree on that. I have absolutely no requirements for a car other than that it's good. No commute, no kids, no dogs, etc. When I bought my MX5 I was also seriously considering an i20N but they weren't out at that point and I was impatient.
interesting.
I dare say you are in a minority among MX5 owners.
I believe most of us were only looking for a sportscar and not considering mainstream cars as alternatives.

rjfp1962

5,324 posts

50 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
edo111s said:
horsemeatscandal said:
Have to agree on that. I have absolutely no requirements for a car other than that it's good. No commute, no kids, no dogs, etc. When I bought my MX5 I was also seriously considering an i20N but they weren't out at that point and I was impatient.
interesting.
I dare say you are in a minority among MX5 owners.
I believe most of us were only looking for a sportscar and not considering mainstream cars as alternatives.
I went from a 2016 Fiesta ST2 to a 2018 MX-5ND2 2 litre. Fiesta ST is a great little sports hatch, but for me no commute, wife, kids or pets to move about, the MX-5 is perfect for me and is all about fun...! biggrin

TameRacingDriver

15,267 posts

249 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
Last year I had an R53 Cooper S, and for what it was, I loved it. Punchy, good looking, and full of character. Yet the whole time I owned it, I missed having a RWD 2-seater sports car. For me, no conventional car, no matter how quick it is, can match something like an MX5 or similar for sheer fun.

Althebugman

8 posts

37 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
I’ve had 3 mx5s now and driven plenty more. I started in 1.8 mk1s and as others have said steering feel in any of the mx5s isn’t to write home about. I came from a 182 Clio and it was leagues ahead.

The ND is as an all rounder is fantastic, I looked at hatches and saloons (Octavia vrs) but couldn’t turn down the 1.5ND. Cheap tax, insurance and it’s averaging 43mpg driven spiritedly.

They’re not track cars and on country roads they’re a hoot without being overly crashy. They’re comfortable for long stints I’m 5ft 8 but wouldn’t want to be much bigger.

Everyone will always want more power but even the 1.5 has plenty when you look at what they weigh and it’s quite a flexible engine.

I personally think people read into reviews too much, go drive one you’ll be surprised

TameRacingDriver

15,267 posts

249 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
All of my MX5s have had better steering feel than the 182 I owned confused

Trevor555

3,459 posts

61 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
Until recently ordering a GR86, I was trying to decide what my last ever car would be for me to keep for the rest of my days.

I wanted it to be an Abarth 124, but reliability put me off owning one out of warranty.

So it was decided to be a used MX5 Recaro edition, with perhaps a visit to BBR shortly afterwards.

Great cars, soon to become extinct as a new purchase I'd think.

CABC

4,776 posts

78 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
Althebugman said:
I’ve had 3 mx5s now and driven plenty more. I started in 1.8 mk1s and as others have said steering feel in any of the mx5s isn’t to write home about. I came from a 182 Clio and it was leagues ahead.
Wow.

humphra

351 posts

69 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
Pro Bono said:
cidered77 said:
But - 30 grand now? i paid just under 25 after discounts.... inflation affects everything i guess, but does it put it in range of a lot of serious hot hatchbacks. which do compete with this car even if on paper they don't.
If someone wants a convertible then they've already decided they don't want a hatchback.
That's the way I think. I want a convertible for a very specific reason, so I'm not going to look at any fixed roof cars, no matter how tempted. Even as I second car I think, "what if I'm in the fixed roof car and it turns out to be a great day to have the roof down?". But then I'm weird like that smile

stickleback123

8,726 posts

166 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
CABC said:
Althebugman said:
I’ve had 3 mx5s now and driven plenty more. I started in 1.8 mk1s and as others have said steering feel in any of the mx5s isn’t to write home about. I came from a 182 Clio and it was leagues ahead.
Wow.
Putting aside how different configurations suit different driving styles...

When you look at the raw ingredients - low weight chassis with your arse nearly over the rear axle, vast majority of the mass inside the wheelbase (NC and ND are front-mid engined), double wishbones at the front, multilink rear, lots of nice aluminium suspension parts, right wheel drive with the diff rigidly mounted to the gearbox/engine for nice sharp throttle response vs an well set up but ultimately built down to a low price FWD hatchback with struts and a torsion beam driving the front wheels

It'd be pretty tragic if Mazda couldn't develop a RWD sports car platform from the ground up and not come up with something more dynamically competent than an improved version of a FWD supermini; it's more of a surprise the Clio is as good as it is rather than is is that someone should consider the MX5 to be better.

HXP2022

1 posts

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
Had a MK1 ( NA) 1992 vintage for about 20 years was reluctant to upgrade to a MK2 or MK3 but after driving the MK4 2.0 l I did finally.

Great car has all the qualities of the MK1 but in a more sophisticated manner. Biggest gripe - no glove box in the passenger footwell and if that is my biggest gripe then it must be a good car. Enough performance for use on normal roads without trying too hard , wouldn't want any more as use it as a daily car as well as for weekend fun. My Golf is left sitting on the drive most days. So fun to drive and if using the performance 38 mpg a more gentle approach 42 mpg.

Edited by HXP2022 on Saturday 14th May 17:35


Edited by HXP2022 on Saturday 14th May 17:36

biggbn

13,201 posts

197 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
Wren-went said:
As an ex 08 NC 1.8 owner I would be more than happy with a 1.5 ND if I was buying if someone else was buying me it well obviously it would be the 2.0 of all Generations I still think the NC is by far the best looker , wish around the time of the BBR mx5 Gt270 I would of had the money as they were £30,000 on the road with Mazda warranty think BBR and Mazda produced around 100 - maybe 150 but at the time they were fantastic value , can't even remember when they were on sale as I don't keep upto date with anything mx5 , I only got rid of mine as we couldn't go out as a family in it , now my daughter's in her 20s and left home maybe sometime I'll buy another.

As an ex owner at sometime everyone should have 1 they really are a great car.
What are the NC models like on fuel?

Scotter

86 posts

72 months

Sunday 15th May
quotequote all
biggbn said:
What are the NC models like on fuel?
I averaged 30mpg for the 5 years I had my last NC 2 litre,not much deviation on that figure.
Current ND 2 RF I’m averaging less,for good reason…

Edited by Scotter on Sunday 15th May 08:57

coppice

7,295 posts

121 months

Sunday 15th May
quotequote all
I have an ND 1 , which averaged 41mpg however I drove it . After being giving a good seeing to by Roddison Motorsport I now get 45mpg on gentle motorway runs and 38-ish when driving con brio on country roads. The car was transformed by lowering , geo , PS4s and remapping /exhaust manifold work . And a Royal steering wheel to replace the horrid OE wheel.

Pflanzgarten

227 posts

2 months

Sunday 15th May
quotequote all
There’s a ND1 Recaro edition in that stunning metallic red on autotrader at the minute, kitted out with the BBR 190 kit.

I keep looking at it, I don’t need another roadster but it just looks so right to my eyes.

glazbagun

12,624 posts

174 months

Sunday 15th May
quotequote all
Om said:
Which spoon reviewed this? Compact sports car is too small, has manual rather than electric controls and the small engined version that revs to heaven with 0-60 in under 8.5s is considered glacial... When the reviewer becomes the story then...
yes The big deal with the new 184 engine wasn't simply the power boost but the extra revs. Previously some reviewers preferred the character of the 1.5 to the old 2.0

edo111s

195 posts

202 months

Sunday 15th May
quotequote all
coppice said:
I have an ND 1 , which averaged 41mpg however I drove it . After being giving a good seeing to by Roddison Motorsport I now get 45mpg on gentle motorway runs and 38-ish when driving con brio on country roads. The car was transformed by lowering , geo , PS4s and remapping /exhaust manifold work . And a Royal steering wheel to replace the horrid OE wheel.
Can you please post a pic of the steering wheel?
I’d love a replacement one as long as that keeps all buttons working

coppice

7,295 posts

121 months

Sunday 15th May
quotequote all


Voila