RE: 2022 Porsche 911 Targa 4 GTS | PH Review

RE: 2022 Porsche 911 Targa 4 GTS | PH Review

Author
Discussion

Tin Hat

1,124 posts

186 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
Harrypop said:
I really like targas, open air without the exposure of a full convertable, but I'd prefer a manual lift out panel personally as oppose to the complexity and weight of Porsche's system - I'm sure the majority of buyers would disagree of course. Is the rear deck on the targa a completely different shape to the coupes or is there a difference to the rear passenger accommodation between the two? I'm just wondering how the internal space to store the roof is gained.
Does the targa get the extra 2 seats, it’s tricky to see from these photos?

HighwayStar

3,620 posts

121 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
P. ONeill said:
topboss said:
Lovely looking and would tick pretty much all boxes if the wind buffeting wasn’t so bad with the roof down.
Why don’t they just do a folding tin top? It works well for BMW and Merc.
They’ve ditched folding tin tops… canvas for BMWs Z4, 4 series cabs and Mercs new SL…

Harrypop

2,461 posts

99 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
Tin Hat said:
Does the targa get the extra 2 seats, it’s tricky to see from these photos?
They definitely have four seats but I'm not sure if the rear space and body line is exactly the same as the coupe. I suppose the real thing that am wondering is that if the shape of the Targa and the coupe do happen to be the same, and yet there is space to store the roof panel in the targa, what it taking up that dead space in the coupe?

ate one too

2,509 posts

123 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
Harrypop said:
Tin Hat said:
Does the targa get the extra 2 seats, it’s tricky to see from these photos?
They definitely have four seats but I'm not sure if the rear space and body line is exactly the same as the coupe. I suppose the real thing that am wondering is that if the shape of the Targa and the coupe do happen to be the same, and yet there is space to store the roof panel in the targa, what it taking up that dead space in the coupe?
The Targa's rear seats are much bigger and have more legroom and the folding roof goes where the engine used to be, because all 991/992 Targas are now front engined. wink

Edited by ate one too on Saturday 14th May 16:50

jbforce10

352 posts

152 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
Harrypop said:
They definitely have four seats but I'm not sure if the rear space and body line is exactly the same as the coupe. I suppose the real thing that am wondering is that if the shape of the Targa and the coupe do happen to be the same, and yet there is space to store the roof panel in the targa, what it taking up that dead space in the coupe?
I'd assume a rear parcel shelf and some air.

jbforce10

352 posts

152 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
No photos of it in this article with the roof on. A quick Google search and I understand why....

https://www.pcarmarket.com/static/media/uploads/ga...

https://c8.alamy.com/comp/2J3NXRE/2021-porsche-911...

Harrypop

2,461 posts

99 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
jbforce10 said:
I'd assume a rear parcel shelf and some air.
That would be my assumption too, it just seems strange that there would be any wasted space back there.

JohnnyUK

294 posts

55 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
We certainly love our Betty Blue! cloud9



bluemason

785 posts

100 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all



Yes please

MissChief

6,301 posts

145 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
So what's the history of the Targa alluded to in the article? Some sort of legislative quirk it says?

JohnnyUK

294 posts

55 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
MissChief said:
So what's the history of the Targa alluded to in the article? Some sort of legislative quirk it says?
I *think* it was a fear that the US would ban full convertibles, so the Targa was a beautiful compromise.

Maxym

1,485 posts

213 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
I think the Targas are ugly and have always been so. I’m no fan of the 992 either.

The Targa seems a ridiculous way of getting a bit of open roof. Just get a (much better looking) coupe with a sunroof. Job done.

Demonix

273 posts

189 months

Sunday 15th May
quotequote all
Would definitely prefer a manually removable roof panel and a bag to pop it in befor stowing it in the frunk, the additional weight and complexity added by the roof moving mechanism appears to have blunted a perfectly good 911.

wpa1975

3,458 posts

91 months

Sunday 15th May
quotequote all
Always liked the targa top 911, just looks right

British Beef

1,785 posts

142 months

Sunday 15th May
quotequote all
Harrypop said:
I really like targas, open air without the exposure of a full convertable, but I'd prefer a manual lift out panel personally as oppose to the complexity and weight of Porsche's system - I'm sure the majority of buyers would disagree of course. Is the rear deck on the targa a completely different shape to the coupes or is there a difference to the rear passenger accommodation between the two? I'm just wondering how the internal space to store the roof is gained.
I agree.

The Targo in the 993, 996 and 997, just had the large sliding glass roof, which I think was the best compromise between simplicity and open motoring.

These things look like big bills waiting to happen, once the alignment slips out by 1 or 2 mm.

Harrypop

2,461 posts

99 months

Sunday 15th May
quotequote all
British Beef said:
I agree.

The Targo in the 993, 996 and 997, just had the large sliding glass roof, which I think was the best compromise between simplicity and open motoring.

These things look like big bills waiting to happen, once the alignment slips out by 1 or 2 mm.
Yeah; I prefered that solution too, even when it's closed you still get the benefit of the light coming into the cabin. I would always go for a panoramic roof than not if given the choice.

ballans

324 posts

82 months

Sunday 15th May
quotequote all
Harrypop said:
Yeah; I prefered that solution too, even when it's closed you still get the benefit of the light coming into the cabin. I would always go for a panoramic roof than not if given the choice.
The Targa roof on on the 996/7 was a big panoramic glass panel that slid back. Made the interior a very nice place to be.
Gave lots of of (expensive) trouble which is probably why they are a bit unloved now. Unlike the 70/80s versions which seem to have really picked up in popularity.

People on PH generally don’t like sunroofs but I’m also a big fan. Had one on my 997 and got a big sliding panoramic one on my 5 series. Expensive option but well worth it.

ajap1979

5,760 posts

164 months

Sunday 15th May
quotequote all
topboss said:
Lovely looking and would tick pretty much all boxes if the wind buffeting wasn’t so bad with the roof down.
Is this still an issue on the 992? I know 991.1 cars were bad, but I thought they’d fixed it for 991.2 Targas?

JohnnyUK

294 posts

55 months

Sunday 15th May
quotequote all
ajap1979 said:
topboss said:
Lovely looking and would tick pretty much all boxes if the wind buffeting wasn’t so bad with the roof down.
Is this still an issue on the 992? I know 991.1 cars were bad, but I thought they’d fixed it for 991.2 Targas?
Our 991.2 Targa has a small aerofoil on the top of the windscreen. We don't have any wind problems. laugh

sean ie3

657 posts

113 months

Sunday 15th May
quotequote all
I'd prefer a roof the same as the 997 Targa 4S retaining the coupe shape and having a big glass sunroof, pretty cool when you see one, although I do like the Targa hoop which works best on the older 911's.