Tell us your driving secret - it's safe with us

Tell us your driving secret - it's safe with us

Author
Discussion

D7Cup

122 posts

116 months

Sunday 25th September
quotequote all
I absolutely love the citroen Ami and I'll be putting down an order very soon.

markymarkthree

1,513 posts

154 months

Sunday 25th September
quotequote all
gravitygravy said:
I always try to stick to speed limits and my default speed on the motorway is 60mph.

Edited by gravitygravy on Sunday 25th September 11:03
Good luck mixing it with all towing vehicles including Class ones on the motorway. rolleyes

biggbn

16,146 posts

203 months

Sunday 25th September
quotequote all
porsche9Martin said:
45 years ago I used to help the milkman out on his round and lusted after some of the cars on peoples drives ( fast or gorgeous). I now have 5 cars, Boxster,rs6,Alfa gtv cup,156 v6 mr2 mk1 and love every one for different reasons ( mostly noise they make)
I can’t believe we will all be ‘helping the milkman out’ in our future cars.
This forum is called pistonheads not battery heads.
Probably not related to this thread but at least I’ve got it off my chest??
I'm a car enthusuaist, the method of propulsion has no bearing on that.

TomHowrad

129 posts

150 months

Sunday 25th September
quotequote all
I sold my Clio 172 in 2018, bought it back in 2021 after spending the whole time pining after it.

I prefer driving our 2016 Mazda3. 2.2 diesel.

Captain Smerc

2,728 posts

99 months

Sunday 25th September
quotequote all
biggbn said:
porsche9Martin said:
45 years ago I used to help the milkman out on his round and lusted after some of the cars on peoples drives ( fast or gorgeous). I now have 5 cars, Boxster,rs6,Alfa gtv cup,156 v6 mr2 mk1 and love every one for different reasons ( mostly noise they make)
I can’t believe we will all be ‘helping the milkman out’ in our future cars.
This forum is called pistonheads not battery heads.
Probably not related to this thread but at least I’ve got it off my chest??
I'm a car enthusuaist, the method of propulsion has no bearing on that.
Well said that man.

Jeenyus161

294 posts

78 months

Sunday 25th September
quotequote all
I don't want to own a fancy car. I am glad other people do, I just couldn't be arsed worrying about it.

I have a 10yr old skoda superb and a 14yr old mx5. I've looked after both, but they are not exactly thrilling.

I love what they enable. The skoda does the family thing so unbelievably well, it has been one of the best purchases I've ever made. Had it 6 years now and will just drive it until it gives up.

The mx5 is such good fun to thrash around! I don't care if I barely break 80, that it'll never win a concourse ribbon or make strange men at petrol stations want to be my friend.

I drive them, appreciate them and am left to do so completely by myself. Lovely!

GibsonSG

264 posts

94 months

Sunday 25th September
quotequote all
I had a Megane 275 Cup S and due to various reasons (unreliability, having two hillclimb cars, needing to transport ageing parents) I sold it and bought a Juke Nismo RS. I much prefer it as a daily, so much so that I've done 75k in it and don't especially want to move it on yet. There, I've said it

smiller147

60 posts

75 months

Sunday 25th September
quotequote all
Two secrets jump to mind, the first is that I find cars fitted with lane follow assist (the one you can take your hands off the steering wheel) systems really enjoyable to drive when in the mood for it on a long journey. It's not just the convenience or easy but find pleasure in technology working so seamlessly

Secondly, I genuinely fear a world where the UK had autobahns or even 100mph speed limits

biggbn

16,146 posts

203 months

Sunday 25th September
quotequote all
GibsonSG said:
I had a Megane 275 Cup S and due to various reasons (unreliability, having two hillclimb cars, needing to transport ageing parents) I sold it and bought a Juke Nismo RS. I much prefer it as a daily, so much so that I've done 75k in it and don't especially want to move it on yet. There, I've said it
I really like these. What's the mpg like used daily?

Ibmarkprior

46 posts

61 months

Sunday 25th September
quotequote all
In heavy crawling stop/start motorway traffic, I take great pleasure in finding a steady speed (e.g 5mph) and seeing how long I can roll before needing to brake.

The sense of achievement when that one odd space in a car park, that’s diagonal or away from other spaces or one space between posts etc so your isolated away from door dings, is available to park in, is immense.

Most of my online passwords are car colour names I’ve previously owned car e.g. Peugeot Vert Maori metallic

When you see a vehicle on the road identical to one you used to own, I smile and feel so self righteous knowing everything about the vehicle, even tho that other driver has no idea.

I genuinely hate the phrase, Nice Car Mate, whatever car you own of course you think it’s ‘nice’, presumably that’s why you bought it.

DavidWearsPrada

48 posts

121 months

Sunday 25th September
quotequote all
I drive a lot of miles, pride myself on driving quickly but very politely, probably over politely. However, there are certain roundabouts, certain junctions, whereby on occasion I drive like a heartbroken teenager; for absolutely no reason, not in a particular hurry, not in a bad mood, just overtake everyone (albeit safely) and drive off wondering why I just did that.

I also don't wave if someone 'lets' me through but there was clearly enough room for us both to get through the gap. Sometimes raise my index finger slightly off the wheel at the very most.





5s Alive

855 posts

17 months

Sunday 25th September
quotequote all
Ibmarkprior said:
The sense of achievement when that one odd space in a car park, that’s diagonal or away from other spaces or one space between posts etc so your isolated away from door dings, is available to park in, is immense.
hehe I nearly always manage to find one.

The sense of frustration when - I can reverse park dead centre and parallel park a few inches from the kerb but I just can't get into the centre or parallel to the kerb when parking front first. Aaarrgh!


Zedboy

757 posts

194 months

Sunday 25th September
quotequote all
porsche9Martin said:
.... This forum is called pistonheads not battery heads...
Thank you..+1 ... the very reason I bought another new manual petrol car this year.

Caddyshack

6,327 posts

189 months

Sunday 25th September
quotequote all
markymarkthree said:
gravitygravy said:
I always try to stick to speed limits and my default speed on the motorway is 60mph.

Edited by gravitygravy on Sunday 25th September 11:03
Good luck mixing it with all towing vehicles including Class ones on the motorway. rolleyes
I have driven a 7.5t horse lorry for 5 hrs of motorway driving today, I am limited to 56/57mph and the amount of wallys at 55 in lane 1 was astounding, I had to keep pulling out and slowly crawl past. It’s either that or drop back and live with their speed but then you get articulated lorries right up yer chuff and I prefer to have a decent safety bubble around us. The big artics have to struggle past the 55 mph dawdlers too.

I am guessing there are more of them now that petrol is more expensive?


If you are getting overtaken by big lorries when on the motorway then you are probably driving too slowly.

CloudStuff

3,294 posts

87 months

Sunday 25th September
quotequote all
I’m too much of an “un-co” to heal’n’toe.

GibsonSG

264 posts

94 months

Sunday 25th September
quotequote all
biggbn said:
GibsonSG said:
I had a Megane 275 Cup S and due to various reasons (unreliability, having two hillclimb cars, needing to transport ageing parents) I sold it and bought a Juke Nismo RS. I much prefer it as a daily, so much so that I've done 75k in it and don't especially want to move it on yet. There, I've said it
I really like these. What's the mpg like used daily?
It's averaged 38 mpg consistently. I do a lot of motorway work so that might help those numbers. Small fuel tank so you are filling up a lot. Also, it's been incredibly reliable, just needed a free software download by the dealer to the radio to stop it cutting out periodically. It's comfy and a bit quirky. Reminds me a bit of my old Subarus

smallpaul

1,861 posts

119 months

Sunday 25th September
quotequote all
I've never changed a cambelt deliberately.

underwhelmist

1,737 posts

117 months

Monday 26th September
quotequote all
On my bike I very often have no idea what gear I'm in, and frequently go for the up-shift to the non-existent 6th.

The Hitman

2,592 posts

193 months

Monday 26th September
quotequote all
I've never owned a RWD car

underwhelmist

1,737 posts

117 months

Monday 26th September
quotequote all
smallpaul said:
I've never changed a cambelt deliberately.
How do you change a cambelt accidentally? smile