SUV Hatred

Author
Discussion

Julian Scott

Original Poster:

43 posts

5 months

Sat here waiting for my new car to be delivered (F-Pace SVR). Or rather, initially waiting for the delivery driver to call to say he is an hour away.

I'm like a kid at Christmas, pretending to work, but actually looking at reviews and comments on this and other sites/forums.

This is the first SUV/4x4 I’ve owned, but not the first I’ve driven. I’m a big fan of the driving position and the drive of an SUV as much as the extra benefit the greater loadspace begets, but on this and other forums, the anti-SUV sentiment is prominent, especially to those who can’t demonstrate a specific and unequivocal need for such a car. Despite the car’s 5l supercharged V8, 542bhp and British credentials, am I set for a barrage of hatred and criticism?

BertBert

16,773 posts

192 months

Not if you don't tell anyone!

vikingaero

7,496 posts

150 months

Do you live anywhere where the Tyre Extinguishers have form for operating?

Brett748

675 posts

147 months

I like SUVs but I've never owned one. I'm put off by how disproportionately expensive they are compared to a saloon or estate, for example a 2017 540i Estate is about £30k and the equivalent X5 early £40s.

Limpet

5,591 posts

142 months

Just bought my first one - a 2011 XC90 D5

I really quite like it. It's a very soothing thing to drive. You quickly realise you're never racing anyone in it, and you're never going to drive it with anything approaching enthusiasm, so it calms you down as soon as you get in it.

I even like the high seating position smile

PistonTim

194 posts

120 months

I got myself a mini-SUV (BMW X1 xdrive) a few months ago and its brilliant, far better at literally everything than the Golf that went before it!

LimaDelta

5,324 posts

199 months

Julian Scott said:
Sat here waiting for my new car to be delivered (F-Pace SVR). Or rather, initially waiting for the delivery driver to call to say he is an hour away.

I'm like a kid at Christmas, pretending to work, but actually looking at reviews and comments on this and other sites/forums.

This is the first SUV/4x4 I’ve owned, but not the first I’ve driven. I’m a big fan of the driving position and the drive of an SUV as much as the extra benefit the greater loadspace begets, but on this and other forums, the anti-SUV sentiment is prominent, especially to those who can’t demonstrate a specific and unequivocal need for such a car. Despite the car’s 5l supercharged V8, 542bhp and British credentials, am I set for a barrage of hatred and criticism?
Which bit do you not need? For some reason not needing the SUV/4x4 part attracts more criticism than the not needing the 542bhp part. hehe

Good choice BTW, the hatred is mostly jealousy.

BoRED S2upid

17,623 posts

221 months

vikingaero said:
Do you live anywhere where the Tyre Extinguishers have form for operating?
Are these those loons that go around slashing SUV tyres? Mostly in London.

Good luck OP. It’s not for me I don’t need irrational hate for my car. You see it on the school run we’re lucky enough to walk to school but you see these massive SUVs parking on the pavement and parents giving them grief all the time.

Krikkit

24,449 posts

162 months

LimaDelta said:
Good choice BTW, the hatred is mostly jealousy.
Not necessarily.

SUVs tend to be worse-handling, less economical, pointlessly massive examples of otherwise good cars.

As a good example, the OP's incoming car - the F-pace SVR is a very cool machine, but it'd be even cooler if they just made an estate with the same dimensions internally etc.

The worst part about SUVs isn't the "premium" end, but the move to make every new car a crossover/4x4/SUV or whatever they should be called... Build a car that's objectively worse to follow fashion and keeping-up-with-the-Joneses. See also, massive alloys and stiff suspension.

Julian Scott

Original Poster:

43 posts

5 months

vikingaero said:
Do you live anywhere where the Tyre Extinguishers have form for operating?
Tyre Extinguishers?


Julian Scott

Original Poster:

43 posts

5 months

Brett748 said:
I like SUVs but I've never owned one. I'm put off by how disproportionately expensive they are compared to a saloon or estate, for example a 2017 540i Estate is about £30k and the equivalent X5 early £40s.
Maybe, not sure what 500bhp+ V8 saloons/estates are any cheaper?

What The Deuces

509 posts

5 months

Krikkit said:
LimaDelta said:
Good choice BTW, the hatred is mostly jealousy.
Not necessarily.

SUVs tend to be worse-handling, less economical, pointlessly massive examples of otherwise good cars.

As a good example, the OP's incoming car - the F-pace SVR is a very cool machine, but it'd be even cooler if they just made an estate with the same dimensions internally etc.

The worst part about SUVs isn't the "premium" end, but the move to make every new car a crossover/4x4/SUV or whatever they should be called... Build a car that's objectively worse to follow fashion and keeping-up-with-the-Joneses. See also, massive alloys and stiff suspension.
I'm glad i dont give a fig about other peoples choices. it must be tiring.

Cool Car OP

Julian Scott

Original Poster:

43 posts

5 months

Limpet said:
Just bought my first one - a 2011 XC90 D5

I really quite like it. It's a very soothing thing to drive. You quickly realise you're never racing anyone in it, and you're never going to drive it with anything approaching enthusiasm, so it calms you down as soon as you get in it.

I even like the high seating position smile
Not sure the supercharged V8 will create the same calmness wink

Julian Scott

Original Poster:

43 posts

5 months

LimaDelta said:
Which bit do you not need? For some reason not needing the SUV/4x4 part attracts more criticism than the not needing the 542bhp part. hehe

Good choice BTW, the hatred is mostly jealousy.
Kind of all of it really, but then the same with every car I've owned.

The 542bhp is definitely 'need' though

jimKRFC

399 posts

123 months

Julian Scott said:
Tyre Extinguishers?
This bunch - https://www.tyreextinguishers.com/

Cause all sorts of chaos in Bristol.... https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/ty...

john41901

532 posts

47 months

Julian Scott said:
vikingaero said:
Do you live anywhere where the Tyre Extinguishers have form for operating?
Tyre Extinguishers?
Eco loon hippy fktards with a penchant for criminal damage…

Give those s a dose of poison! jail time…


Julian Scott

Original Poster:

43 posts

5 months

Krikkit said:
LimaDelta said:
Good choice BTW, the hatred is mostly jealousy.
Not necessarily.

SUVs tend to be worse-handling, less economical, pointlessly massive examples of otherwise good cars.

As a good example, the OP's incoming car - the F-pace SVR is a very cool machine, but it'd be even cooler if they just made an estate with the same dimensions internally etc.

The worst part about SUVs isn't the "premium" end, but the move to make every new car a crossover/4x4/SUV or whatever they should be called... Build a car that's objectively worse to follow fashion and keeping-up-with-the-Joneses. See also, massive alloys and stiff suspension.
I guess this is what I mean. Surely the same dimensions would just be an SUV? I'd need an e-class estate to get the same boot space and that would have a far bigger footprint?

Not sure the 'pointlessly massive' fits with the 'objectivity' either?


Julian Scott

Original Poster:

43 posts

5 months

jimKRFC said:
Julian Scott said:
Tyre Extinguishers?
This bunch - https://www.tyreextinguishers.com/

Cause all sorts of chaos in Bristol.... https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/ty...
Bloody hell.

QJumper

687 posts

7 months

Julian Scott said:
vikingaero said:
Do you live anywhere where the Tyre Extinguishers have form for operating?
Tyre Extinguishers?
Eco warriors who go around letting the air out tyres on SUV's.

BoRED S2upid

17,623 posts

221 months

QJumper said:
Julian Scott said:
vikingaero said:
Do you live anywhere where the Tyre Extinguishers have form for operating?
Tyre Extinguishers?
Eco warriors who go around letting the air out tyres on SUV's.
With a screwdriver.

Tyres tend to be expensive for SUVs.