Oil advice and recommendations (Opie Oils)

Oil advice and recommendations (Opie Oils)

Author
Discussion

dodgepot

203 posts

78 months

Thursday 17th January
quotequote all
opieoilman said:
Hi

Is it just going to get road use or track time?

Cheers

Tim
Fast road 99% of time very occasional track use

opieoilman

Original Poster:

4,294 posts

174 months

Monday 21st January
quotequote all
Hi

Sorry for the delay.

I would use a 10w-50, 15w-50 or 20w-50. A 10w-50 would give better cold flow and as all the 10w-50s that we have are high end synthetics, they will give the best all round protection. 15w-50 offers less cold start protection than a 10w-50, but it's not a bad option. 20w-50 gives the least cold start protection, but it's the traditional choice for a kent engine, so well proven and there are a variety of things to pick from. Fuchs Pro S/R, Millers CFS/CFS NT+, Red Line, Motul 300V and Gulf Competition are the top end ester based oils. Amsoil doesn't have the ester content, but it's still a top end oil. Millers Classic Sport and Fuchs Classic Racelube are good semi-synthetic oils. The Valvoline VR1 is a really good performance mineral oil. The other mineral oils are suitable as standard options for it.

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-647-engine-oil-by-gra...

Cheers

Tim

dodgepot

203 posts

78 months

Monday 21st January
quotequote all
Many thanks for the reply Tim

20/50 would have been my start point just from my old cortina days but you have given a number of options there, so i'll take my time and look carefully at the info available and make a decision then

BenLowden

1,379 posts

115 months

PH Marketing Bloke

Thursday 24th January
quotequote all
Hi Tim,

Can you recommend engine and gearbox for my Megane please? I had some Fuchs Titan Race Pro S Ester Full Synthetic from you last year for my Clio so would like to use the same for my Megane.

Make: Renault
Model: Megane 250
Year: 2011
Engine type: 2.0 turbo petrol, F4RT
Modifications: Induction, exhaust, intercooler, map (otherwise standard engine) 321hp 360lb ft
Driving style: Daily and track
What recommendation are you looking for? Engine and gearbox

opieoilman

Original Poster:

4,294 posts

174 months

Friday 25th January
quotequote all
Hi

The Pro S is ideal for the engine.

You need a 75w-80 for the gearbox and the best proven options are the Red Line MTL, Fuchs Sintofluid or Amsoil MTF. The Millers TRX 75w-80, Castrol Syntrans V-FE, Gulf Syngear FE and Motul Motylgear are good alternatives.

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-670-75w-80-75w-85-mtf...

Cheers

Tim
Advertisement

BenLowden

1,379 posts

115 months

PH Marketing Bloke

Friday 25th January
quotequote all
Thanks Tim, much appreciated. Will get an order placed soon!

jagnet

2,716 posts

140 months

Monday 28th January
quotequote all
Hi Tim,

Do you know if Millers have any plans to introduce a slightly thinner NT+ gearbox oil in the future? I'm currently using the 75w90 which is great once it's got a little warmth into it (no noise, slick gear changes, etc), but from cold I do get some whine for the first few minutes on chilly mornings (Saab 9-5 Aero).

If not, what are your thoughts on blending it 50/50 with 0w20 NT+ to bring cSt@40 down from 113 to a more reasonable 77ish (16.5 -> 12.15 @ 100)? I notice that their EE oil is similarly viscous at lower temperatures.

I'd quite like to keep the benefits of the NT+ oils for efficiency and longevity. I'm assuming there must be quite a few 'boxes for which the 75w90 is a bit too viscous so I don't know if this is something that others have tried?

Bumblebee7

410 posts

13 months

Tuesday 29th January
quotequote all
Hi Tim,

What oil would you recommend for a 2.2 ictdi Civic (2007)? Have been using 5W-30 for a while now and wondering what brand would be best and if I should use different grade? Manual also suggests 0W-30 and I'm not sure what would be best for the car. Driving will be mainly short city runs (4 miles each way) and the occasional long drive 300 miles+. What do you think of Millers diesel additive, is it worth it? I did previously only fill up with premium diesel but have stopped recently as I was unsure of the benefit. Sorry for the list of questions and thank you!

opieoilman

Original Poster:

4,294 posts

174 months

Friday 1st February
quotequote all
jagnet said:
Hi Tim,

Do you know if Millers have any plans to introduce a slightly thinner NT+ gearbox oil in the future? I'm currently using the 75w90 which is great once it's got a little warmth into it (no noise, slick gear changes, etc), but from cold I do get some whine for the first few minutes on chilly mornings (Saab 9-5 Aero).

If not, what are your thoughts on blending it 50/50 with 0w20 NT+ to bring cSt@40 down from 113 to a more reasonable 77ish (16.5 -> 12.15 @ 100)? I notice that their EE oil is similarly viscous at lower temperatures.

I'd quite like to keep the benefits of the NT+ oils for efficiency and longevity. I'm assuming there must be quite a few 'boxes for which the 75w90 is a bit too viscous so I don't know if this is something that others have tried?
Hi

Sorry for the delay.

I've asked if they would be bringing out a 75w-80 NT+ gear oil and they said they'd consider it, but nothing so far. It's a shame as so many cars want a 75w-80.

Yes, using the 0w-20 to reduce the viscosity isn't a bad idea, the only thing is engine oils are resistant against combustion byproducts more than the shearing action of gears, so it won't last as long. You might be better mixing it with some ATF, okay, you'd lose some of the benefit of the Nanodrive, but it would be a more suited oil to the application.

Cheers

Tim

opieoilman

Original Poster:

4,294 posts

174 months

Friday 1st February
quotequote all
Bumblebee7 said:
Hi Tim,

What oil would you recommend for a 2.2 ictdi Civic (2007)? Have been using 5W-30 for a while now and wondering what brand would be best and if I should use different grade? Manual also suggests 0W-30 and I'm not sure what would be best for the car. Driving will be mainly short city runs (4 miles each way) and the occasional long drive 300 miles+. What do you think of Millers diesel additive, is it worth it? I did previously only fill up with premium diesel but have stopped recently as I was unsure of the benefit. Sorry for the list of questions and thank you!
Hi,

I'd stick with 5w-30.

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-653-5w-30.aspx

The best ones there are the Fuchs/Silkolene Pro S, Motul 300V, Mobil ESP, Castrol Edge, Shell Helix Ultra ECT, Millers XF, Fuchs GT1 and Red Line, but the Motul Eco-Energy, Mobil Super 3000, Shell Helix HX7 AF/AG and Fuchs XTR are good cheaper alternatives.

I've used the Ecomax and in my old car (Volvo V70 D5), it was very noticeable. There was a small increase in mpg compared to just normal diesel, but the main thing it did was help the engine run smoother and pull better. I've recently changed car to a Saab 9-3 1.9tid, and I'm still on my first tank of diesel in that, so haven't compared it with and without the Ecomax.

Millers EE oils really help with economy as well. I changed the oil and filter in the Volvo (no other changes and the use stayed the same) from a good synthetic 5w-30 to the EE Longlife C3 5w-30 and the mpg went from 38 to 42. My Saab has been serviced with Gulf, so it's got decent oil in it, but I'm likely to put the EE in that when it needs a service.

Cheers

Tim

Bumblebee7

410 posts

13 months

Friday 1st February
quotequote all
opieoilman said:
Bumblebee7 said:
Hi Tim,

What oil would you recommend for a 2.2 ictdi Civic (2007)? Have been using 5W-30 for a while now and wondering what brand would be best and if I should use different grade? Manual also suggests 0W-30 and I'm not sure what would be best for the car. Driving will be mainly short city runs (4 miles each way) and the occasional long drive 300 miles+. What do you think of Millers diesel additive, is it worth it? I did previously only fill up with premium diesel but have stopped recently as I was unsure of the benefit. Sorry for the list of questions and thank you!
Hi,

I'd stick with 5w-30.

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-653-5w-30.aspx

The best ones there are the Fuchs/Silkolene Pro S, Motul 300V, Mobil ESP, Castrol Edge, Shell Helix Ultra ECT, Millers XF, Fuchs GT1 and Red Line, but the Motul Eco-Energy, Mobil Super 3000, Shell Helix HX7 AF/AG and Fuchs XTR are good cheaper alternatives.

I've used the Ecomax and in my old car (Volvo V70 D5), it was very noticeable. There was a small increase in mpg compared to just normal diesel, but the main thing it did was help the engine run smoother and pull better. I've recently changed car to a Saab 9-3 1.9tid, and I'm still on my first tank of diesel in that, so haven't compared it with and without the Ecomax.

Millers EE oils really help with economy as well. I changed the oil and filter in the Volvo (no other changes and the use stayed the same) from a good synthetic 5w-30 to the EE Longlife C3 5w-30 and the mpg went from 38 to 42. My Saab has been serviced with Gulf, so it's got decent oil in it, but I'm likely to put the EE in that when it needs a service.

Cheers

Tim
Thanks Tim! Really appreciate the advice, will get some ordered soon.

jagnet

2,716 posts

140 months

Friday 1st February
quotequote all
opieoilman said:
You might be better mixing it with some ATF, okay, you'd lose some of the benefit of the Nanodrive, but it would be a more suited oil to the application.
Thanks, Tim. I didn't think about ATF and I've got some Millermatic DM in the garage already that I could use thumbup

opieoilman

Original Poster:

4,294 posts

174 months

Friday 1st February
quotequote all
Glad to help

stuartw1

6 posts

19 months

Friday 8th February
quotequote all
Have a fairly boring 2014 Mazda 6 2.2 Diesel (skyactive engine) 150BHP and has been serviced at the main dealer so far. Going to start servicing it myself. Car does about 10000 miles per year and regularly gets used on the motorway / around town. Currently has around 90k on the clock.

Oil recommended in manual is 0w30 or 5w30 C3. Oils I have seen recommended for it in various places are:

Shell Helix Ultra Professional AG
Shell Helix Ultra ECT
Mazda OEM Oil 5w30

Are there any real differences between going for 0w30 or 5w30 except for colder temperature starting? (unlikely to be an issue in the UK)
Is there much difference between the Shell recommendations above and Mazda OEM oil from ebay or any other oils that would be a better choice (both seem affordable though no point in wasting money). Thanks in advance

Edited by stuartw1 on Friday 8th February 17:06

opieoilman

Original Poster:

4,294 posts

174 months

Monday 11th February
quotequote all
Hi

Those three oils will be fine for it, although I would tend to go for a branded oil rather than an OEM one, just because they tend to be a bit better quality. Any of the 0w-30s or 5w-30s via this link are fine to use.

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-792-acea-c3-diesel-en...

The Fuchs GT1 are also good value oils.

Cheers

Tim

tiffx19

127 posts

91 months

Monday 11th February
quotequote all
Hi
I have a Saab 9-5 Aero HOT Auto, 2004 model with the 5 speed AW auto box. I will be changing the transmission oil soon but have seen various comments advising against fully synthetic 3309 ATF in these cars ? Any reason for this?

Cheers.

opieoilman

Original Poster:

4,294 posts

174 months

Tuesday 12th February
quotequote all
Hi

Yes, they are Aisin Warner boxes, so need the 3309 spec oil. If you don't use that and just put a dexron III ATF in, it will cook the oil and the box won't work properly. I've just bought a 9-3 tid auto and I suspect the previous owner has put Dexron III in there as it's going into limp mode when I put my foot down, it sort of hunts for gears and then gives up. I'm just waiting on a diagnostics checker to see what that says.

The Amsoil ATF, Motul Multi ATF, Red Line D4, Fuchs ATF4400, Gulf Multi Vehicle ATF, Castrol ATF Multi Vehicle or Millers Millermatic ATF SPIII all cover the 3309 spec.

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-1432-atf-automatic-tr...

Cheers

Tim

boabymeister

6 posts

Tuesday 12th February
quotequote all
Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabiliser Oil Treatment 1 Litre,excellent petroleum based oil treatment, will not void warranty.

opieoilman

Original Poster:

4,294 posts

174 months

Tuesday 12th February
quotequote all
It's not something that I will be putting in my gearbox, when autos are very sensitive to viscosity as well as friction modifiers etc. Putting additives in an auto is likely to void any warranty.

boabymeister

6 posts

Tuesday 12th February
quotequote all
thumbupI doubt Lucas sell and advertise additives as not voiding warranty if that is not the case, they would be wide open to all sorts of litigation if they were misrepresenting the effects of their products.

Have used them for more years than I care to remember, at present the Audi A6 Le Mans and the wife's Range Rover get a litre added at every oil change, both run like the proverbial well oiled machine .....touch wood thumbup