Oil advice and recommendations (Opie Oils)

Oil advice and recommendations (Opie Oils)

Author
Discussion

stuartw1

6 posts

20 months

Tuesday 12th February
quotequote all
opieoilman said:
Hi

Those three oils will be fine for it, although I would tend to go for a branded oil rather than an OEM one, just because they tend to be a bit better quality. Any of the 0w-30s or 5w-30s via this link are fine to use.

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-792-acea-c3-diesel-en...

The Fuchs GT1 are also good value oils.

Cheers

Tim
Awesome - thanks for the help

opieoilman

Original Poster:

4,306 posts

175 months

Tuesday 12th February
quotequote all
boabymeister said:
thumbupI doubt Lucas sell and advertise additives as not voiding warranty if that is not the case, they would be wide open to all sorts of litigation if they were misrepresenting the effects of their products.

Have used them for more years than I care to remember, at present the Audi A6 Le Mans and the wife's Range Rover get a litre added at every oil change, both run like the proverbial well oiled machine .....touch wood thumbup
Fair enough, but when one of our customers had an issue with his auto and we sent a sample of the oil off, the first thing they checked for was additives to see if the oil was contaminated.

boabymeister

6 posts

1 month

Tuesday 12th February
quotequote all
Not disputing your knowledge of the subject at all, just saying that Lucas state their products will not void warranty.

My default approach is to believe nothing the main stealers tell me, Land Rover claim the Range Rover box is sealed for life, any transmission shop worth the name will tell you it needs serviced and flushed around 75,000 miles. Just had the wife's Range rover's transmission serviced by Mackies in Glasgow, money well spent.


LUCAS OIL STABILISER 1 LITRE

Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabiliser "Oil Alone is Not Enough"

Lucas Oil Stabilizer is a 100% petroleum product formulated to eliminate dry starts and reduce friction, heat and wear. It allows motor oils a higher degree of lubricity which reduces oil consumption and operating temperatures. Use Lucas Oil Stabilizer in gear oil to stop leaks, reduce operating temperatures and increase the life of the gear oil. Since it is pure petroleum, it can safely blend with all other automotive lubricants, even synthetics, ATF and mineral oil. It keeps old engines alive and new engines new.

Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer is the number one heavy duty and high performance oil supplement. It eliminates dry starts and resists thermal breakdown for total protection in new engines. It stops smoking, knocking, and oil consumption in worn engines and adds lubricity for more MPG. It lowers oil temperatures and stops leaks. Use it in any manual transmission or differential to stop wear, leaks, heat, noise and hard shifting.

Will not void new car warranties. Since it is pure petroleum, it safely blends with all petroleum products, including synthetics.

opieoilman

Original Poster:

4,306 posts

175 months

Tuesday 12th February
quotequote all
Hi

I've just checked the datasheet of that product. At 100C, it is 110 cSt, so very thick. The first ATF datasheet I clicked on is the Millers SP III and at 100C, that is 6 cSt, so way thicker. Even if you mixed a litre of the additive with 5 litres of ATF, it's still going to have a massive impact on the viscosity of the ATF, when just a few cSt can affect how the box operates.

I've emailed ZF and I'll wait for their reply (they are the only gearbox manufacturer that we deal with directly).

tiffx19

128 posts

92 months

Tuesday 12th February
quotequote all
Thanks Opieoilman, I'll be ordering some soon, just cannot understand the reason why it is advised against using synthetic 3309. Why would mineral 3309 be better for this box? Seems strange that Saabs depend so much on fully synth engine oil, but owners advise against fully synthetic transmission oil! Surely if it's 3309 spec then it will work whatever the base.
Advertisement

opieoilman

Original Poster:

4,306 posts

175 months

Wednesday 13th February
quotequote all
I have no idea and I'm not sure that it's AW that say not to use synthetic. I've never seen anything on any of my databases to say that an AW box can't use a synthetic, they just want a 3309 (or now AW-1) spec oil. I think it's likely to have come from a forum where someone has either

1. used a synthetic that didn't meet 3309, but wouldn't admit it
2. used an oil that claimed to meet 3309 but didn't.
3. has a faulty gearbox

A few people then read it, repeat it and it then becomes a thing associated with the AW boxes.

I have just had a look at the Aisin site and the oil they list for our boxes is a synthetic (Aisin Premium ATF 6) is a synthetic.

https://www.be.aisin-europe.com/en-gb/products/aut...



opieoilman

Original Poster:

4,306 posts

175 months

Wednesday 13th February
quotequote all
boabymeister said:
Not disputing your knowledge of the subject at all, just saying that Lucas state their products will not void warranty.

My default approach is to believe nothing the main stealers tell me, Land Rover claim the Range Rover box is sealed for life, any transmission shop worth the name will tell you it needs serviced and flushed around 75,000 miles. Just had the wife's Range rover's transmission serviced by Mackies in Glasgow, money well spent.


LUCAS OIL STABILISER 1 LITRE

Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabiliser "Oil Alone is Not Enough"

Lucas Oil Stabilizer is a 100% petroleum product formulated to eliminate dry starts and reduce friction, heat and wear. It allows motor oils a higher degree of lubricity which reduces oil consumption and operating temperatures. Use Lucas Oil Stabilizer in gear oil to stop leaks, reduce operating temperatures and increase the life of the gear oil. Since it is pure petroleum, it can safely blend with all other automotive lubricants, even synthetics, ATF and mineral oil. It keeps old engines alive and new engines new.

Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer is the number one heavy duty and high performance oil supplement. It eliminates dry starts and resists thermal breakdown for total protection in new engines. It stops smoking, knocking, and oil consumption in worn engines and adds lubricity for more MPG. It lowers oil temperatures and stops leaks. Use it in any manual transmission or differential to stop wear, leaks, heat, noise and hard shifting.

Will not void new car warranties. Since it is pure petroleum, it safely blends with all petroleum products, including synthetics.
Hi

Just heard back from ZF.

ZF Tech Support said:
ZF does not approve any additives for transmission oil, transmissions found with additive in the oil would have their warranty void.

All approved products relating to transmission oil can be found in the oil list TE-ML-11 a link to which can be found below.

https://www.zf.com/global/media/en_zf/lubricantsli...

I hope that this helps.
I would go with what ZF say, it's their box. It would be interesting to see where Lucas stand with that as ZF are saying that the warranty would be void, but Lucas say it won't affect warranties.

tiffx19

128 posts

92 months

Wednesday 13th February
quotequote all
Brilliant, thank you. Just as I thought- couldn't understand why if it was 3309 spec that it wouldn't be suitable..

_4ndy_

41 posts

19 months

Thursday 14th February
quotequote all
Hi Opieoilman,

Which ATF fluid would you recommend for the auto box in a MY13 Mitsubishi Shogun? I believe it's an Aisin gearbox, which is renowned for being very pernickety with which fluid is used.

Thanks,
Andy.

HustleRussell

15,950 posts

99 months

Thursday 14th February
quotequote all
Odd. Everyone lists a 5w-40 or even a 5w-30 for the 6L Seat Ibiza 1.4 100bhp but according to the handbook both are wrong for our climate and a 50 or even 60 grade oil is recommended?

Is this why this one is consuming oil?


opieoilman

Original Poster:

4,306 posts

175 months

Thursday 14th February
quotequote all
_4ndy_ said:
Hi Opieoilman,

Which ATF fluid would you recommend for the auto box in a MY13 Mitsubishi Shogun? I believe it's an Aisin gearbox, which is renowned for being very pernickety with which fluid is used.

Thanks,
Andy.
Hi Andy

Can you let me know the details of the model please? Just want to check I get it right.

Cheers

Tim

opieoilman

Original Poster:

4,306 posts

175 months

Thursday 14th February
quotequote all
HustleRussell said:
Odd. Everyone lists a 5w-40 or even a 5w-30 for the 6L Seat Ibiza 1.4 100bhp but according to the handbook both are wrong for our climate and a 50 or even 60 grade oil is recommended?

Is this why this one is consuming oil?

Hi

What year is your car? Done many miles? Does it get driven hard? Is it in the UK? How much oil is it burning in 1000 miles?

Cheers

Tim

HustleRussell

15,950 posts

99 months

Thursday 14th February
quotequote all
opieoilman said:
HustleRussell said:
Odd. Everyone lists a 5w-40 or even a 5w-30 for the 6L Seat Ibiza 1.4 100bhp but according to the handbook both are wrong for our climate and a 50 or even 60 grade oil is recommended?

Is this why this one is consuming oil?

Hi

What year is your car? Done many miles? Does it get driven hard? Is it in the UK? How much oil is it burning in 1000 miles?

Cheers

Tim
It's a '58' plate so late 6L shape with 90k miles. I don't know how much oil it gets through but the owner is having to top up regularly.

It's only doing 5,000 miles a year with most journeys being shortish.

It's had 10w-40 semi in it most recently but it looks like there are better options out there.

ErbzNdBuds

1 posts

1 month

Thursday 14th February
quotequote all
Make:Ford
Model:focus
Year:54
Engine type: 1.8 petrol
Modifications: none
Driving style: normal-well spirited.
140k miles looking for engine oil recommendations.

boabymeister

6 posts

1 month

Thursday 14th February
quotequote all
opieoilman said:
boabymeister said:
Not disputing your knowledge of the subject at all, just saying that Lucas state their products will not void warranty.

My default approach is to believe nothing the main stealers tell me, Land Rover claim the Range Rover box is sealed for life, any transmission shop worth the name will tell you it needs serviced and flushed around 75,000 miles. Just had the wife's Range rover's transmission serviced by Mackies in Glasgow, money well spent.


LUCAS OIL STABILISER 1 LITRE

Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabiliser "Oil Alone is Not Enough"

Lucas Oil Stabilizer is a 100% petroleum product formulated to eliminate dry starts and reduce friction, heat and wear. It allows motor oils a higher degree of lubricity which reduces oil consumption and operating temperatures. Use Lucas Oil Stabilizer in gear oil to stop leaks, reduce operating temperatures and increase the life of the gear oil. Since it is pure petroleum, it can safely blend with all other automotive lubricants, even synthetics, ATF and mineral oil. It keeps old engines alive and new engines new.

Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer is the number one heavy duty and high performance oil supplement. It eliminates dry starts and resists thermal breakdown for total protection in new engines. It stops smoking, knocking, and oil consumption in worn engines and adds lubricity for more MPG. It lowers oil temperatures and stops leaks. Use it in any manual transmission or differential to stop wear, leaks, heat, noise and hard shifting.

Will not void new car warranties. Since it is pure petroleum, it safely blends with all petroleum products, including synthetics.
Hi

Just heard back from ZF.

ZF Tech Support said:
ZF does not approve any additives for transmission oil, transmissions found with additive in the oil would have their warranty void.

All approved products relating to transmission oil can be found in the oil list TE-ML-11 a link to which can be found below.

https://www.zf.com/global/media/en_zf/lubricantsli...

I hope that this helps.
I would go with what ZF say, it's their box. It would be interesting to see where Lucas stand with that as ZF are saying that the warranty would be void, but Lucas say it won't affect warranties.
Thanks m8, I know ZF recommend Lifeguard 5, however they are still saying boxes are sealed and good for life, I did ask them what constituted life, obviously not the question they were expecting, also saw a few of the Jag boys discussing ZF too, seems to be a good subject for discussion.

Waiting on an answer as to why Lucas claim no warranty voiding, spoke to their techie chap this morning and extremely helpful he was, said he will come back after conferring with the high heid yins. However he agreed the literature says no warranty voiding.

Thanks again, appreciated.

opieoilman

Original Poster:

4,306 posts

175 months

Friday 15th February
quotequote all
HustleRussell said:
It's a '58' plate so late 6L shape with 90k miles. I don't know how much oil it gets through but the owner is having to top up regularly.

It's only doing 5,000 miles a year with most journeys being shortish.

It's had 10w-40 semi in it most recently but it looks like there are better options out there.
I've not heard of many oil consumption issues with that engine, so I wonder if there is a problem with that particular car. Pretty much all the ones we deal with use 5w-30 or 5w-40 and I can't think of anyone mentioning high oil consumption with those.

Due to the irregular molecule sizes in a semi-synthetic, they often burn off quicker than a synthetic, so I would try a 5w-40 next.

Cheers

Tim

opieoilman

Original Poster:

4,306 posts

175 months

Friday 15th February
quotequote all
boabymeister said:
opieoilman said:
boabymeister said:
Not disputing your knowledge of the subject at all, just saying that Lucas state their products will not void warranty.

My default approach is to believe nothing the main stealers tell me, Land Rover claim the Range Rover box is sealed for life, any transmission shop worth the name will tell you it needs serviced and flushed around 75,000 miles. Just had the wife's Range rover's transmission serviced by Mackies in Glasgow, money well spent.


LUCAS OIL STABILISER 1 LITRE

Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabiliser "Oil Alone is Not Enough"

Lucas Oil Stabilizer is a 100% petroleum product formulated to eliminate dry starts and reduce friction, heat and wear. It allows motor oils a higher degree of lubricity which reduces oil consumption and operating temperatures. Use Lucas Oil Stabilizer in gear oil to stop leaks, reduce operating temperatures and increase the life of the gear oil. Since it is pure petroleum, it can safely blend with all other automotive lubricants, even synthetics, ATF and mineral oil. It keeps old engines alive and new engines new.

Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer is the number one heavy duty and high performance oil supplement. It eliminates dry starts and resists thermal breakdown for total protection in new engines. It stops smoking, knocking, and oil consumption in worn engines and adds lubricity for more MPG. It lowers oil temperatures and stops leaks. Use it in any manual transmission or differential to stop wear, leaks, heat, noise and hard shifting.

Will not void new car warranties. Since it is pure petroleum, it safely blends with all petroleum products, including synthetics.
Hi

Just heard back from ZF.

ZF Tech Support said:
ZF does not approve any additives for transmission oil, transmissions found with additive in the oil would have their warranty void.

All approved products relating to transmission oil can be found in the oil list TE-ML-11 a link to which can be found below.

https://www.zf.com/global/media/en_zf/lubricantsli...

I hope that this helps.
I would go with what ZF say, it's their box. It would be interesting to see where Lucas stand with that as ZF are saying that the warranty would be void, but Lucas say it won't affect warranties.
Thanks m8, I know ZF recommend Lifeguard 5, however they are still saying boxes are sealed and good for life, I did ask them what constituted life, obviously not the question they were expecting, also saw a few of the Jag boys discussing ZF too, seems to be a good subject for discussion.

Waiting on an answer as to why Lucas claim no warranty voiding, spoke to their techie chap this morning and extremely helpful he was, said he will come back after conferring with the high heid yins. However he agreed the literature says no warranty voiding.

Thanks again, appreciated.
Hi

It's an odd one and when the ZF boxes cost thousands, I would be very careful. Let me know what they say, I'm curious about this.

I spoke to ZF about the lifetime fill thing and they said that is not what they recommend. I'm not sure about the 5HP, but he said the 6HP and 8HP should have the oil changed at 60k. They advise the car manufacturers of that, but that is not passed on to the customer. After all, when the car is out of warranty, it's not their problem and not having to service the autobox reduces running costs, making them more appealing to fleet managers.

Cheers

Tim

opieoilman

Original Poster:

4,306 posts

175 months

Friday 15th February
quotequote all
ErbzNdBuds said:
Make:Ford
Model:focus
Year:54
Engine type: 1.8 petrol
Modifications: none
Driving style: normal-well spirited.
140k miles looking for engine oil recommendations.
Hi

I would use a 5w-30 oil

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-653-5w-30.aspx

The best ones there are the Fuchs/Silkolene Pro S, Motul 300V, Mobil ESP, Castrol Edge, Shell Helix Ultra ECT, Millers XF, Fuchs GT1 and Red Line, but the Motul Eco-Energy, Mobil Super 3000, Shell Helix HX7 AF/AG and Fuchs XTR are good cheaper alternatives.

Cheers

Tim

HustleRussell

15,950 posts

99 months

Friday 15th February
quotequote all
opieoilman said:
I've not heard of many oil consumption issues with that engine, so I wonder if there is a problem with that particular car. Pretty much all the ones we deal with use 5w-30 or 5w-40 and I can't think of anyone mentioning high oil consumption with those.

Due to the irregular molecule sizes in a semi-synthetic, they often burn off quicker than a synthetic, so I would try a 5w-40 next.

Cheers

Tim
Thank you

I think it’s probably been through three litres or so since its last service 14,000 miles ago in summer 2016(!) so not massive oil consumption.

I have bked owner for exceeding service interval big time.

opieoilman

Original Poster:

4,306 posts

175 months

Friday 15th February
quotequote all
Hi

Ah, that's not too bad at all, a litre per 5000 miles is nothing at all to worry about. Also, if the oil in there is 3 years old, it's probably ruined and burning off easily.

Cheers

Tim