992 Question - Sorry, really boring Finance one

992 Question - Sorry, really boring Finance one

Author
Discussion

Welshbeef

37,564 posts

143 months

Thursday 15th August
quotequote all
Dammit said:
I think I’m being quite optimistic- a pessimistic view would be that with the 80% reduction in imports we face in a crash out there’s no hope of importing something so unimportant as cars when we have food riots in every major city.
If you feel that way do you think spending £100k here and now which will carry that risk over the 31/10/19 is a smart move?

As for import duty the issue for Porsche is it will drive away the volume it is used to and geared to deliver at its factories. To cut down capacity or find new markets to replace said demand isn’t easy. As such it’s more likely they would suck up the hit or even consider building a production line here in the U.K.

Dammit

3,096 posts

153 months

Thursday 15th August
quotequote all
I think there needs to be a bit or realism on this- Porsche will never build a factory in the UK in order that UK customers don’t have to pay the UK government an import tariff on their cars.

If we do crash out then we won’t have any volume car manufacturers in this country within 3-5 years, let alone new ones coming in.

Welshbeef

37,564 posts

143 months

Thursday 15th August
quotequote all
Dammit said:
I think there needs to be a bit or realism on this- Porsche will never build a factory in the UK in order that UK customers don’t have to pay the UK government an import tariff on their cars.

If we do crash out then we won’t have any volume car manufacturers in this country within 3-5 years, let alone new ones coming in.
65-70m market place with tariffs to get in vs setting up a factory in that area to maximise market share + have govt support to boot.

Not much to dislike really unless the output of a production line dwarfs the demand of the country for that spec and pricing of a vehicle.

Schmed

1,147 posts

17 months

Thursday 15th August
quotequote all
Embrace the new reality Dammit, we’re out no deal Oct 31st. Denial never helps in the long run, embrace the change; it’s not all bad.

Possible case for Ze Gerrrmans buying their way in with a factory afterwards IF that’s required for easy market access, but by then you’ll be too busy enjoying your massively cheaper Mustang v8 or ‘Vette....


throt

1,978 posts

115 months

Friday 16th August
quotequote all
10k to get one over here. Those low mile 911s be worth millions won’t they , wink.

frozen-in-wiltshire

136 posts

29 months

Friday 16th August
quotequote all
Twinfan said:
Porsche APR is usually higher than you can get elsewhere, but 6.6% APR from them is pretty good. You can ask if they'll lower it, but I suspect that's as low as they'll go.

No harm in asking though.
This ^^^ - pretty fair all things considered

Dammit

3,096 posts

153 months

Friday 16th August
quotequote all
[quote=Schmed]Embrace the new reality Dammit, we’re out no deal Oct 31st. Denial never helps in the long run, embrace the change; it’s not all bad.

Possible case for Ze Gerrrmans buying their way in with a factory afterwards IF that’s required for easy market access, but by then you’ll be too busy enjoying your massively cheaper Mustang v8 or ‘Vette....

[/]

I suspect you are in for a rude surprise if we leave on the 31st when you look at how many of your pounds it takes to get a dollar.


johnny senna

3,955 posts

217 months

Friday 16th August
quotequote all
frozen-in-wiltshire said:
This ^^^ - pretty fair all things considered
Can’t see why anyone goes with 6.6% from Porsche when the likes of Clydesdale are doing 4.4%.

tuffer

8,520 posts

212 months

Friday 16th August
quotequote all
johnny senna said:
frozen-in-wiltshire said:
This ^^^ - pretty fair all things considered
Can’t see why anyone goes with 6.6% from Porsche when the likes of Clydesdale are doing 4.4%.
Because taking Porsche finance moves you up the pecking order to get a GT car rolleyesrolleyesrolleyes

SV_WDC

291 posts

34 months

Friday 16th August
quotequote all
Welshbeef said:
65-70m market place with tariffs to get in vs setting up a factory in that area to maximise market share + have govt support to boot.

Not much to dislike really unless the output of a production line dwarfs the demand of the country for that spec and pricing of a vehicle.
Getting slightly off topic, but car production factories can't just be built overnight.

This is the problem with US/China tariffs at the moment. Clothing manufacturers say they will consider elsewhere, but production can't just be moved that quickly/easily.

And 65-70m is not an addressable market for Porsche in the UK. It'll also likely shrink as people won't want to spend £100k on a 992 when we're in a recession. Used market might do well however.

johnny senna

3,955 posts

217 months

Friday 16th August
quotequote all
tuffer said:
Because taking Porsche finance moves you up the pecking order to get a GT car rolleyesrolleyesrolleyes
If only that were true smile