997 GTS to V12 Vantage - Talk me out of it

997 GTS to V12 Vantage - Talk me out of it

Author
Discussion

DMC2

1,346 posts

156 months

Monday 9th September
quotequote all
A V12 Vantage is a great experience car. Sounds amazing. Incredible 'old school' engine, great character.

But... it is heavy, the gear change is pants, the handling is average at best and they have fragile build quality. It is not a hard core drivers car, just felt like a slightly modern classic car from the 80s to me. Although women love them because they get to imagine you are James Bond.

If you want a big GT to pootle about it then it is great. I only had mine for about six months for the reasons above, then went back to Porsche where I belong.

DJMC

2,499 posts

48 months

Monday 9th September
quotequote all
Don't buy a British car. It'll be crap and your feet will get wet.

I had a DB7 for a year, wet feet, fixed, wet feet, fixed, wet feet, bye bye.

I know two people who bought Vantages and neither kept them very long. One had an insurmountable gearbox problem, the other was underwhelmed by the gearbox in his special edition model.

I find myself muttering "poor sod" whenever I see an Aston now. Nice to look at, but not to own.

franki68

6,876 posts

166 months

Monday 9th September
quotequote all
Don’t ask this question on a Porsche forum and expect a balanced answer.

Slippydiff

10,485 posts

168 months

Monday 9th September
quotequote all
franki68 said:
Don’t ask this question on a Porsche forum and expect a balanced answer.
On the contrary, I think all the answers thus far have been amazingly balanced.
Let us not forget, when the V8 Vantage was launched, the then CEO of Aston heralded it as an equal of the legendary 911 (or indeed a 911 beater).
Whilst it may have been a quantum leap forward for Aston over the models that proceeded it, a 911 beater it was not, in any way shape or form (and most certainly not as a “drivers” car).

franki68

6,876 posts

166 months

Monday 9th September
quotequote all
Slippydiff said:
On the contrary, I think all the answers thus far have been amazingly balanced.
Let us not forget, when the V8 Vantage was launched, the then CEO of Aston heralded it as an equal of the legendary 911 (or indeed a 911 beater).
Whilst it may have been a quantum leap forward for Aston over the models that proceeded it, a 911 beater it was not, in any way shape or form (and most certainly not as a “drivers” car).
And ask the same question on the Aston forum and you will get completely opposite answers to those posted here.

alscar

617 posts

158 months

Monday 9th September
quotequote all
For a bit more balance I owned a 997 GTS for 2 years which I changed over to a Aston SP10 ( V8S ).This I then swapped to a V12S.
During this time I also owned a 997 GT3.The GTS and both Astons were daily drivers - GTS was a go kart in comparison but either Aston felt far more special.Both Astons got hooned - I never found handling or keeping up a problem.Yes the Porsche will almost certainly be cheaper to run ( i include the GT3 in this ) and certainly more reliable and maybe better built but that's not all there is to car ownership. - an Aston is more decision of heart.I would never describe them as fragile but I would suggest they have niggles which you either accept or don't.For anyone that hasn't actually driven the automated manual V12S I would say give it a go but it will take a little time to get used to it - a toe curl is all that is needed when driving casually and no lift when on it.If noise is an issue then replacing the secondary Cats with quicksilver straight through pipes works a treat.
Fixed price servicing applicable to both but obviously the Porsche is only every 2 years.
Dealers less of a lottery with Aston and if you want to buy something new and " special " then you can without indulging in the games that OPC's'play.
All first world problems and good luck with your decision.

Slippydiff

10,485 posts

168 months

Monday 9th September
quotequote all
franki68 said:
Slippydiff said:
On the contrary, I think all the answers thus far have been amazingly balanced.
Let us not forget, when the V8 Vantage was launched, the then CEO of Aston heralded it as an equal of the legendary 911 (or indeed a 911 beater).
Whilst it may have been a quantum leap forward for Aston over the models that proceeded it, a 911 beater it was not, in any way shape or form (and most certainly not as a “drivers” car).
And ask the same question on the Aston forum and you will get completely opposite answers to those posted here.
Quite possibly, but it doesn't change the ever growing list of individuals who've bought a Vantage after 997 ownership, and quickly realised the error of their ways (their words, not mine) or the numerous 911 owners who thought they'd take an Aston for a test drive only to find it lacking in the various/numerous aspects they'd hoped it would excel in.

9 years on and nothing (including the protagonists) changes ... :

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&...

I'll allow you to provide links from the Aston forums for "balance" smile

franki68

6,876 posts

166 months

Monday 9th September
quotequote all
Slippydiff said:
Quite possibly, but it doesn't change the ever growing list of individuals who've bought a Vantage after 997 ownership, and quickly realised the error of their ways (their words, not mine) or the numerous 911 owners who thought they'd take an Aston for a test drive only to find it lacking in the various/numerous aspects they'd hoped it would excel in.

9 years on and nothing (including the protagonists) changes ... :

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&...

I'll allow you to provide links from the Aston forums for "balance" smile
Because I’ve nothing better to do than trawl an Internet forum to prove a point ?
Big difference between a v12 vantAge and a v8 and the op was asking about the v12 and I think me having had 12 Porsche’s and 1 Aston tell you what I think ,but I acknowledge my bias .

Edited by franki68 on Monday 9th September 20:25

Slippydiff

10,485 posts

168 months

Monday 9th September
quotequote all
franki68 said:
Because I’ve nothing better to do than trawl an Internet forum to prove a point ?
Big difference between a v12 vantAge and a v8 and the op was asking about the v12 and I think me having had 12 Porsche’s and 1 Aston tell you what I think ,but I acknowledge my bias .
Bit tetchy today ?
On the basis you felt compelled to respond to my post, and a quick Google search immediately threw up the thread I provided a link to, I figured (clearly incorrectly) you might enter into the spirit of things ...

PH, Pithy Humour counts ... biggrin

But I digress, if the likes of Bamford Rose went over and above their current V8V packages to provide a more focused V8, ie some carefully thought out road use friendly suspension upgrades in addition to their exhaust manifold/cats/lightweight flywheel/remap on a 4.7 litre engined car, I'd happily revisit a V8 Vantage.
Whilst I can see the obvious allure of the V12 version, I'm doubtful anyone would make a genuinely tactile, engaging, sweet handling car that could hold a candle to a 997 GTS, with such a heavy lump of metal shoehorned in front of the driver.

smile



David W.

1,421 posts

154 months

Monday 9th September
quotequote all
Slippydiff said:
Thought I’d give an AM V8 Vantage a try after coming out of numerous 996/997 GT3’s.
I went with what I was led to believe was a “special” more sporty version, an N400 in this Zanzibar-esque hue :

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.carmagazine.co....

I read the various road tests and forum threads and went on the road test looking for a change and with an open mind.

Let’s just say the road test was short, this despite me wanting to like the car, it fell so short of my expectations and lacked what I wanted, there was little point driving it any longer than 20 minutes.

Engine : Allegedly 400 horsepower in this iteration................................


original car’s woeful performance, it did nothing for the car’s handling dynamics ...


Edited by Slippydiff on Monday 9th September 11:31
I’m with SD on this. I made the mistake of buying a V8 400N spec and keeping the 911 too.
Nothing on the Aston came up to the Porsche despite upgrading clutch, flywheel, steering and suspension. Cabin switch feel, ergonomics, all very disappointing too.
Got out of it after 16 months and haven't missed it for a second.
Pretty cars and a fab brand image, thats all.
I suspect I’d like the way the new vantage drives but couldn’t live with that mouth.

David W.

1,421 posts

154 months

Monday 9th September
quotequote all
franki68 said:
Don’t ask this question on a Porsche forum and expect a balanced answer.
I think there have been many honest “balanced” answers given from people who like me bought and wanted to like the product but didn't and given their reasons.

joinery80

312 posts

67 months

Monday 9th September
quotequote all
I've had a 997 gts PDK cab which was to be fair a great car and values at the time held up very well indeed. I now have a V12V which has a much heaver feel to it and isn't as nimble as the porsche but every time you get in the aston it blows you away just the smell of the leather and quality of interior is in a different league oh and the engine is amazing and the sound is mega. Would I go back to porsche one dayofcourse because they are brilliant cars but I would highly recommend the aston. Try test one with lightweight carbon seats as it adds to the occasion and surly gotta go manual too.
Good luck you will not be diserpointed

joinery80

312 posts

67 months

Monday 9th September
quotequote all

joinery80

312 posts

67 months

Monday 9th September
quotequote all

David W.

1,421 posts

154 months

joinery80

312 posts

67 months

Monday 9th September
quotequote all
Oh and check Clarksons V12v review says it all really

franki68

6,876 posts

166 months

Tuesday 10th September
quotequote all
Slippydiff said:
Bit tetchy today ?
On the basis you felt compelled to respond to my post, and a quick Google search immediately threw up the thread I provided a link to, I figured (clearly incorrectly) you might enter into the spirit of things ...

PH, Pithy Humour counts ... biggrin

But I digress, if the likes of Bamford Rose went over and above their current V8V packages to provide a more focused V8, ie some carefully thought out road use friendly suspension upgrades in addition to their exhaust manifold/cats/lightweight flywheel/remap on a 4.7 litre engined car, I'd happily revisit a V8 Vantage.
Whilst I can see the obvious allure of the V12 version, I'm doubtful anyone would make a genuinely tactile, engaging, sweet handling car that could hold a candle to a 997 GTS, with such a heavy lump of metal shoehorned in front of the driver.

smile
Search my posts on such matters ,I almost always advise people making such queries to try and make their own minds up by trying the vehicles in question .
And the v12 is a very different beast from the v8 so answers about the v8 are irrelevant to the question asked.


franki68

6,876 posts

166 months

Tuesday 10th September
quotequote all
David W. said:
I think there have been many honest “balanced” answers given from people who like me bought and wanted to like the product but didn't and given their reasons.
I haven’t accused anyone of dishonesty ,but asking a question on a Porsche forum over which car is better ..car ‘x’ or a Porsche is usually going to result in a majority of opinion in favour of the Porsche .
It’s not a criticism,it’s just what it is.
It’s like asking on the daily mail website if you should vote Tory or labour .
I’m fairly certain the same question asked over on the Aston forum will result in the Aston being the preferred choice.


Edited by franki68 on Tuesday 10th September 07:16

IMI A

6,889 posts

146 months

Tuesday 10th September
quotequote all


Got to be a contender for prettiest car ever - amazing wink

c4sman

Original Poster:

561 posts

99 months

Tuesday 10th September
quotequote all
joinery80 said:
I've had a 997 gts PDK cab which was to be fair a great car and values at the time held up very well indeed. I now have a V12V which has a much heaver feel to it and isn't as nimble as the porsche but every time you get in the aston it blows you away just the smell of the leather and quality of interior is in a different league oh and the engine is amazing and the sound is mega. Would I go back to porsche one dayofcourse because they are brilliant cars but I would highly recommend the aston. Try test one with lightweight carbon seats as it adds to the occasion and surly gotta go manual too.
Good luck you will not be diserpointed
Thanks for the above, and to all the other responses. As I do so few miles the above is why I think the V12V might tick the box. Also as the roads get more speed cameras and restrictive, I feel less inclined to enjoy the agility and capabilities of a Porsche, so something that is less dynamically capable doesn’t terrify me (although I got a huge buzz when I took my car around the PEC at silverstone biggrin).

I deliberately asked this on a Porsche forum, as I wanted the views from people who understand the Porsche brand as well as I think I do having owned 6 of their sports cars I’ve the last 14 years. I know the answers might be biased and so am I, but actually the debate on here seems well balanced.

I now need to find a suitable car to drive and feedback on next steps.