Cayman R Chat

Author
Discussion

julian987R

3,361 posts

36 months

Thursday 12th May
quotequote all
Any R owners tempted by the new 997 987 PCCM+ ? ... and what are your thoughts to the announced specs?




AAAndy

666 posts

229 months

Thursday 12th May
quotequote all
julian987R said:
Any R owners tempted by the new 997 987 PCCM+ ? ... and what are your thoughts to the announced specs?



I'd certainly be interested in a genuine OEM upgrade for this. It would be great to get a decent touch screen carplay interface in the R, which was also OEM. Although I expect that it won't be cheap.

Where did you find this as I just had a poke around on the Porsche website and couldn't see it (but entitely possible I was looking in the wrong place).

Andyoz

2,550 posts

31 months

Thursday 12th May
quotequote all
Not mine but might be of interest...


julian987R

3,361 posts

36 months

Thursday 12th May
quotequote all
AAAndy said:
julian987R said:
Any R owners tempted by the new 997 987 PCCM+ ? ... and what are your thoughts to the announced specs?



I'd certainly be interested in a genuine OEM upgrade for this. It would be great to get a decent touch screen carplay interface in the R, which was also OEM. Although I expect that it won't be cheap.

Where did you find this as I just had a poke around on the Porsche website and couldn't see it (but entitely possible I was looking in the wrong place).
If you refer to my recent posts on this thread I include a link to the manual guide PDF

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&...


mr pg

1,813 posts

182 months

Thursday 12th May
quotequote all
Hope it works better than the one in my 996 at the moment. Won't play music on SD card, nor through USB. Map screen keeps freezing, and have to constantly power down/up again. Not sure if it needs a software update or factory reset.

Slippydiff

13,468 posts

200 months

Thursday 12th May
quotequote all
mr pg said:
Hope it works better than the one in my 996 at the moment. Won't play music on SD card, nor through USB. Map screen keeps freezing, and have to constantly power down/up again. Not sure if it needs a software update or factory reset.
I had a printer a bit like that.
Turns out it just needed a quick hardware update ...




The problem never occurred again.
smile

MrVert

4,132 posts

216 months

Thursday 12th May
quotequote all
hehe

julian987R

3,361 posts

36 months

Thursday 12th May
quotequote all
This might be of interest, an R with a 4.2L mod.

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1300632


Vincent-Vega

23 posts

Thursday 12th May
quotequote all
julian987R said:
This might be of interest, an R with a 4.2L mod.

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1300632
75,000 United States Dollar equals

61,471.87 Pound sterling

Seems an awful lot for a modified auto, probably got the wrong seats as well as its a US car.


biggrinbiggrinbiggrin

julian987R

3,361 posts

36 months

Thursday 12th May
quotequote all
Vincent-Vega said:
julian987R said:
This might be of interest, an R with a 4.2L mod.

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1300632
75,000 United States Dollar equals

61,471.87 Pound sterling

Seems an awful lot for a modified auto, probably got the wrong seats as well as its a US car.


biggrinbiggrinbiggrin
Ah was more if the engine mod was of interest rather than purchasing it....though to your point, R's go for a fair bit in the US.


squirdan

990 posts

124 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
Selling prices recently seem to have edged down but I do think the 987 R and spyder might be about to get properly recognised and adopted by Porsche people ….

I slightly know James Turner who runs Sports Purpose that sells 65 race cars and other super rare Porsches - based at Bicester - he is also in with Tuthills and I think had something to do with the 2 litre cup race series

He now has a red Spyder and loves it . Was of the view it’s a nailed on future classic

Equally I know Robert Barrie - a gentlemen racer and Porsche historian - seems to have acquired a 987 S black edition which is nearly an R… he said he thinks 987 and 997 are the next thing

Plenty of chat about the fact you could buy an honest 964 for £25k whereas now even tatty ones are £60

All I’m saying is a CR has the performance of a 964RS (or possibly better) - lots of cool details and limited numbers

As such I’m interested to see Porsche “experts” start to recognise how good they are and how much value they offer

These 2 both write in magazines etc etc - I wager it won’t be long … “911 World revisits one of the rarest and best Porsches of recent years” blah blah !

tracydeedance

730 posts

156 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
squirdan said:
Selling prices recently seem to have edged down but I do think the 987 R and spyder might be about to get properly recognised and adopted by Porsche people ….

I slightly know James Turner who runs Sports Purpose that sells 65 race cars and other super rare Porsches - based at Bicester - he is also in with Tuthills and I think had something to do with the 2 litre cup race series

He now has a red Spyder and loves it . Was of the view it’s a nailed on future classic

Equally I know Robert Barrie - a gentlemen racer and Porsche historian - seems to have acquired a 987 S black edition which is nearly an R… he said he thinks 987 and 997 are the next thing

Plenty of chat about the fact you could buy an honest 964 for £25k whereas now even tatty ones are £60

All I’m saying is a CR has the performance of a 964RS (or possibly better) - lots of cool details and limited numbers

As such I’m interested to see Porsche “experts” start to recognise how good they are and how much value they offer

These 2 both write in magazines etc etc - I wager it won’t be long … “911 World revisits one of the rarest and best Porsches of recent years” blah blah !
I would agree about the 987 especially any limited edition models great value for the money considering the now prices of models such as the 964 and 996 GT3 beyond a lot of people's budgets now .
Now being recognised will push demand up and that demand increases prices.
Just my opinion of course as long term owner of various models
Have fun.

MrVert

4,132 posts

216 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
I’d agree…had lots of different Porsche’s over the years..987 3.4, 993 Turbo, 997 GT3, 993 Targa, 997 Carrera, 997 R, 991 GTS, Tutthilll ‘74 Backdate and a few others…

For fun on the road, the R and Spyder are at the top of the tree for me. All the others have been great to own and drive but the size, poise and sheer usability of the little 987’s make them perfect for my driving style and the roads around me.

Great little sports cars and a complete antidote to todays overblown, overpowered, over tech’d, numb (in comparison) cars available new.


Slippydiff

13,468 posts

200 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
squirdan said:
Selling prices recently seem to have edged down but I do think the 987 R and spyder might be about to get properly recognised and adopted by Porsche people ….

I slightly know James Turner who runs Sports Purpose that sells 65 race cars and other super rare Porsches - based at Bicester - he is also in with Tuthills and I think had something to do with the 2 litre cup race series

He now has a red Spyder and loves it . Was of the view it’s a nailed on future classic

Equally I know Robert Barrie - a gentlemen racer and Porsche historian - seems to have acquired a 987 S black edition which is nearly an R… he said he thinks 987 and 997 are the next thing

Plenty of chat about the fact you could buy an honest 964 for £25k whereas now even tatty ones are £60

All I’m saying is a CR has the performance of a 964RS (or possibly better) - lots of cool details and limited numbers

As such I’m interested to see Porsche “experts” start to recognise how good they are and how much value they offer

These 2 both write in magazines etc etc - I wager it won’t be long … “911 World revisits one of the rarest and best Porsches of recent years” blah blah !
Finding another Porsche that has similar or equal performance to a 964 RS isn’t overly difficult, my guess is a Gen 2 987 Boxster or Cayman would be fulfil that brief, however you’ll not get close to the driving experience provided by the older car, nor indeed the tactility or engagement.
As for the R being anything like as “special” as the RS, it doesn’t come close I’m afraid.

tracydeedance

730 posts

156 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
MrVert said:
I’d agree…had lots of different Porsche’s over the years..987 3.4, 993 Turbo, 997 GT3, 993 Targa, 997 Carrera, 997 R, 991 GTS, Tutthilll ‘74 Backdate and a few others…

For fun on the road, the R and Spyder are at the top of the tree for me. All the others have been great to own and drive but the size, poise and sheer usability of the little 987’s make them perfect for my driving style and the roads around me.

Great little sports cars and a complete antidote to todays overblown, overpowered, over tech’d, numb (in comparison) cars available new.
Fully agree about the size power poise of a 987 in today's world for a great fun sports car without being OTT in any form R . Spyder . Sport design any of the range really .
As said already for the budget of various 987s hard to beat.
Enjoy.

Resto157

29 posts

71 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
Hi guy’s,

Looking for some advise on purchasing an R, new to the world of Porsche and wanted to know what common issues to look for? If there are any big ticket service items or common issues that need to be addressed etc.

What are servicing costs like at a specialist?

Are there any specialist that offer a pre sale inspection?

Cheers
Adam

squirdan

990 posts

124 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
MrVert said:
I’d agree…had lots of different Porsche’s over the years..987 3.4, 993 Turbo, 997 GT3, 993 Targa, 997 Carrera, 997 R, 991 GTS, Tutthilll ‘74 Backdate and a few others…

For fun on the road, the R and Spyder are at the top of the tree for me. All the others have been great to own and drive but the size, poise and sheer usability of the little 987’s make them perfect for my driving style and the roads around me.

Great little sports cars and a complete antidote to todays overblown, overpowered, over tech’d, numb (in comparison) cars available new.
Did you have the lime green 74/5 car ? Like a 2.7 mfi impact bumper ? They built this for me . Was lovely but by the time I’d paid Tuthills I was virtually bankrupt !





squirdan

990 posts

124 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
Resto157 said:
Hi guy’s,

Looking for some advise on purchasing an R, new to the world of Porsche and wanted to know what common issues to look for? If there are any big ticket service items or common issues that need to be addressed etc.

What are servicing costs like at a specialist?

Are there any specialist that offer a pre sale inspection?

Cheers
Adam
Relatively bullet proof
Some niggly items eg coolant crossover pipes, rotted radiators, tired dampers etc
Gearshift cables can also go
Some say underbraked as standard
Exhaust valves / connections rust

No generic engine or box issues with these

Rpm, JZM, Ashgood, 9e are all specialists who know them inside out. I had a minor service done at Porsche recently for £650

They can be warrantied so consider that if a car you find has full OPC history

Spec is key:

Carbon buckets
PSE
Manual
Spyder wheels
Climate
Sports chrono
Sports steering wheel

We can point you in the direction of a veritable “investment” car in green for £60k if you are mad or loaded

Or like everyone else you’ll prob end up with a white one for £40-45k because that’s the right money and there are more white than any other colour


Edited by squirdan on Saturday 14th May 15:17

squirdan

990 posts

124 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
Slippydiff said:
Finding another Porsche that has similar or equal performance to a 964 RS isn’t overly difficult, my guess is a Gen 2 987 Boxster or Cayman would be fulfil that brief, however you’ll not get close to the driving experience provided by the older car, nor indeed the tactility or engagement.
As for the R being anything like as “special” as the RS, it doesn’t come close I’m afraid.
And neither does the cost at about 33pc !

MrVert

4,132 posts

216 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
squirdan said:
MrVert said:
I’d agree…had lots of different Porsche’s over the years..987 3.4, 993 Turbo, 997 GT3, 993 Targa, 997 Carrera, 997 R, 991 GTS, Tutthilll ‘74 Backdate and a few others…

For fun on the road, the R and Spyder are at the top of the tree for me. All the others have been great to own and drive but the size, poise and sheer usability of the little 987’s make them perfect for my driving style and the roads around me.

Great little sports cars and a complete antidote to todays overblown, overpowered, over tech’d, numb (in comparison) cars available new.
Did you have the lime green 74/5 car ? Like a 2.7 mfi impact bumper ? They built this for me . Was lovely but by the time I’d paid Tuthills I was virtually bankrupt !

Yes, that’s the one




When this was built it was still ‘sensible’ money…circa £85k ish from memory. Fantastic car, many many smiles per mile, the sound absolutely sublime on Jenvey throttle bodies, pops, bangs, the lot from the SS Dansk exhaust.