Cayman R Chat

Author
Discussion

Rsx Boy

49 posts

77 months

Friday 25th January
quotequote all
Jamie Summers said:
There is also a Brembo GT kit, which is a plug and play solution for the 987 front end. It uses 2-piece 350mm (or is it 355mm ??) rotors, twinned with the 4-pot calipers form a Ferrari F50 (amongst other applications). In combination with the GT3 MC, RS29s and race-spec fluid, this works quite nicely.
The rear is a bit trickier, I have a 996 GT3 disc and caliper set up, but it required a specially machined hub spacer to put the disc in the right place relative to the caliper mounting points.
I suspect that the rear upgrade is uneconomic and probably overkill (was done by Autofarm for previous owner) - I suspect a nice balance could be achieved by using a different combination of pads between front and rear, retaining the stock rear discs and calipers.
Anyway, the end result is a truly confidence inspiring brake feel - the car will stand on its nose all day long without a hint of fade or a long pedal.
With the TC turned off (as off as it can be) and with the level of grip provided by running Cup 2s on 19s, I don't find the PSM intrudes, and will allow enough of a slip angle to be entertaining.
Thanks Jamie.
May I ask the ball park $$$ on what the front setup cost and where you sourced the parts please ?
I'll PM you if you don't want to put figures in the public forum.

ClioTrophy55

179 posts

38 months

Sunday 27th January
quotequote all
Picked up my new R yesterday. Loving it so far. Here's a picture of it from above!


m33ufo

4,888 posts

169 months

Sunday 27th January
quotequote all
Think I saw it at JZM a week ago - easily recognised from the harnesses.

Looked lovely thumbup

Klippie

1,440 posts

83 months

Sunday 27th January
quotequote all
Seeing as there are not many R's around how many owners does your cars have...just out of interest.

frayz

1,012 posts

97 months

Monday 28th January
quotequote all
Personally I think it’s irrellevant to get into the hard/firm blah blah debate. The GT3MC in the R works wonders as many have fitted and really like it.
So if you like it and it works for you then who really cares if someone else doesn’t?

My personal CR is fitted with:
Girodisc 2 piece discs all round
Titanium shims
Pagid RS29s all round
GT3 MC
GT3 brake ducts
PF fluid

Having driven it on road and track, I personally think this is a superb setup for the money and won’t beaten till you go for the full on AP monoblock caliper/disc route.
Even vs PCCBs, I prefer the way my brakes feel and perform. The only thing I prefer on the PCCB car is weight advantage from the lighter disc, however I guess most of that is offset by the bigger, heavier 6 pot calipers.



Edited by frayz on Monday 28th January 05:37

Advertisement

Mogsmex

157 posts

173 months

Monday 28th January
quotequote all
frayz said:

Even vs PCCBs, I prefer the way my brakes feel and perform. The only thing I prefer on the PCCB car is weight advantage from the lighter disc, however I guess most of that is offset by the bigger, heavier 6 pot calipers.



Edited by frayz on Monday 28th January 05:37
you forgot the Yellow callipers are much much cooler and therefore make the car faster tongue out

frayz

1,012 posts

97 months

Monday 28th January
quotequote all
Mogsmex said:
you forgot the Yellow callipers are much much cooler and therefore make the car faster tongue out
This is true and unarguable... and the 6 pots look damn sexy biggrin

frayz

1,012 posts

97 months

Monday 28th January
quotequote all
ClioTrophy55 said:
Picked up my new R yesterday. Loving it so far. Here's a picture of it from above!

Such an achingly pretty thing. Congratulations on your purchase in clearly the best colour too.
Heres wishing you many happy miles in it smile

Slippydiff

10,090 posts

161 months

Monday 28th January
quotequote all
frayz said:
Personally I think it’s irrellevant to get into the hard/firm blah blah debate. The GT3MC in the R works wonders as many have fitted and really like it.
So if you like it and it works for you then who really cares if someone else doesn’t?

My personal CR is fitted with:
Girodisc 2 piece discs all round
Titanium shims
Pagid RS29s all round
GT3 MC
GT3 brake ducts
PF fluid

Having driven it on road and track, I personally think this is a superb setup for the money and won’t beaten till you go for the full on AP monoblock caliper/disc route.
Even vs PCCBs, I prefer the way my brakes feel and perform. The only thing I prefer on the PCCB car is weight advantage from the lighter disc, however I guess most of that is offset by the bigger, heavier 6 pot calipers.
I really don't think it's the "likers" that have an issue to be brutally honest ... as you've pointed out, many have done the mod and liked the results.

I ran AP's on my M3 CSL and a 1M Coupe, they were by far, waaay way better than ANY of the 996/997 GT3/GT3 RS/GT2 steel brakes (and Gen 1 997 PCCB's) I've owned (one you'd learnt how to modulate them) They also tend to be considerably lighter than pretty much any Porsche OE steel brakes, and as for the difference in weight over the hopeless boat anchors BMW elected to foist upon unwitting 1M Coupe and M3 CSL owners ....

PaulD86

751 posts

64 months

Monday 28th January
quotequote all
ClioTrophy55 said:
Picked up my new R yesterday. Loving it so far. Here's a picture of it from above!

That looks amazing! The correct colour and with the red harness... perfect. Wish mine had harnesses, I know they are probably more bother than they are worth but they are also massively cool. Enjoy the car man!

Jamie Summers

303 posts

189 months

Monday 28th January
quotequote all
Rsx Boy said:
Thanks Jamie.
May I ask the ball park $$$ on what the front setup cost and where you sourced the parts please ?
I'll PM you if you don't want to put figures in the public forum.
Hi,
Not sure I'm afraid - it was already on the car when I bought it - but I seem to recall seeing the kit offered for c.£1,800 a few years back. I replaced the rotors which were about £250 each from memory....

frayz

1,012 posts

97 months

Monday 28th January
quotequote all
Slippydiff said:
I really don't think it's the "likers" that have an issue to be brutally honest ... as you've pointed out, many have done the mod and liked the results.

I ran AP's on my M3 CSL and a 1M Coupe, they were by far, waaay way better than ANY of the 996/997 GT3/GT3 RS/GT2 steel brakes (and Gen 1 997 PCCB's) I've owned (one you'd learnt how to modulate them) They also tend to be considerably lighter than pretty much any Porsche OE steel brakes, and as for the difference in weight over the hopeless boat anchors BMW elected to foist upon unwitting 1M Coupe and M3 CSL owners ....
Funny you say that, i ran full set of APs on both my Impreza and Mini GP. Nothing but great feedback for all of the AP kit ive owned in the past.
If i wasnt happy with the Rs braking performance, i wouldnt hesitate at fitting AP kit all round to that too smile

GregorFuk

492 posts

138 months

Monday 28th January
quotequote all
fray said:
The only thing I prefer on the PCCB car is weight advantage from the lighter disc, however I guess most of that is offset by the bigger, heavier 6 pot calipers.



Edited by frayz on Monday 28th January 05:37
Someone on Rennlist performed a very detailed weight comparison when converting a steel equipped car to PCCB and you are right. The weight savings of the PCCB disks are largely offset by the larger calipers to the point where the difference is measured in grams, not kilograms.

I have to laugh when people state that the difference in un-sprung mass transforms the steering of these cars. Smoke and mirrors comes to mind.



frayz

1,012 posts

97 months

Monday 28th January
quotequote all
GregorFuk said:
Someone on Rennlist performed a very detailed weight comparison when converting a steel equipped car to PCCB and you are right. The weight savings of the PCCB disks are largely offset by the larger calipers to the point where the difference is measured in grams, not kilograms.

I have to laugh when people state that the difference in un-sprung mass transforms the steering of these cars. Smoke and mirrors comes to mind.
As i suspected. I imagine the steering does feel different on the PCCB cars due to the lack of gyroscopic effect, however overall vehicle weight i agree will be negigable compared to a steel rotored car.
Slightly off topic but i remember fitting a set of forged Volk CE28N wheels to my impreza which were circa 7.5kg for an 18" wheel.
The difference in steering feel was instantly notcable as was the way the car picked up under power.

FTW

201 posts

114 months

Monday 28th January
quotequote all
The mass reduction of the carbon discs improves steering because the center of mass is closer to the steering axis. Less gyroscopics and that.

The bigger the discs the greater the influence, I'd imagine it to be fairly small on a 987 Cayman though.....

frayz

1,012 posts

97 months

Monday 28th January
quotequote all
FTW said:
The mass reduction of the carbon discs improves steering because the center of mass is closer to the steering axis. Less gyroscopics and that.

The bigger the discs the greater the influence, I'd imagine it to be fairly small on a 987 Cayman though.....
Agree, i imagine by time youre talking 991 GT3 monster 410mm jobbies, the effect is quite considerable.

GregorFuk

492 posts

138 months

Monday 28th January
quotequote all
FTW said:
The mass reduction of the carbon discs improves steering because the center of mass is closer to the steering axis. Less gyroscopics and that.

The bigger the discs the greater the influence, I'd imagine it to be fairly small on a 987 Cayman though.....
From the Rennlist post.




https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-forum/971809-9...


As for the weight of the components, here we go,

Front:
- PCCB calipers/pads (set): 11.9 kg
- Red calipers/pads (set): 9.1 kg
- PCCB disks (set): 11.4 kg
- Red disks (set): 18.4 kg

Rear:
- PCCB caliper/pads (set): 9.2 kg
- Red caliper/pads (set): 7.6 kg
- PCCB disks (set): 11.0 kg
- Red disks (set): 14.0 kg

Total weight - caliper/pads + disks
- PCCB: 43.5 kg
- Red: 49.1 kg

So, from an unsprung weight point of view, PCCB saves 5.6 kg total for all four corners. The PCCB front disks only weigh 62% of the front steel disks, but much of the saving is offset by the larger/heavier 6 pot calipers that comes with PCCB.




The undramatic weight saving is due to the the jump from 4 to 6 piston calipers on 987 model cars when going from steel to PCCB. You get a much better weight saving on a GT car as they use 6 piston callipers for both steel or PCCB.

lukeyboyuk

33 posts

32 months

Monday 28th January
quotequote all
I'm sure there was a topic on it recently but I cannot for the life of me find it. Did someone say that the short shift option on the R solved the problem with the gear linkage cables coming loose / snapping?

Jim1556

1,535 posts

94 months

Monday 28th January
quotequote all
I think that was the Cup cables...

frayz

1,012 posts

97 months

Monday 28th January
quotequote all
lukeyboyuk said:
I'm sure there was a topic on it recently but I cannot for the life of me find it. Did someone say that the short shift option on the R solved the problem with the gear linkage cables coming loose / snapping?
I’ve got the Numeric cables and shifter however not on the car. When I spoke to RPM Technik about this last they said they had not had a cable failure on a car running the OEM Porsche short shifter... hence the Numeric setup isn’t yet fitted