The 718 GT4 might be arriving sooner than you think!

The 718 GT4 might be arriving sooner than you think!

Author
Discussion

Twinfan

3,112 posts

40 months

Tuesday 7th November 2017
quotequote all
Indeed! Here's the back, must be before they'd come up with the new exhaust and diffuser...


cmoose

43,081 posts

165 months

Tuesday 7th November 2017
quotequote all
I personally wouldn't read much if anything into the visible exhaust tips on these mules.

I would not conclude, for instance, that similar looking exhaust tips and spacing to the a 991.2 Carrera means the car has the 3.0 turbo engine. The tips and their spacing etc are a cosmetic consideration and the exhaust system in a 718 will be completely bespoke even if it uses the same lump as the 991.2.

Phooey

9,139 posts

105 months

Tuesday 7th November 2017
quotequote all
Fokker said:
By 4.0 they mean a 4 litre version of the current 3.8 so not the motorsport one, That's what my masseuse told me anyway...
I don't see the point. 3.8 makes upto 430hp anyhow and no way the GT4 will get over the full 430. My bet is on 3.8 400hp. Can't see Porsche throwing unnecessary money at the £65k GT4 when they have all the parts on the shelf to already better the last one.

Anyway, it's all speculation and part of the fun smile

Fokker

3,209 posts

158 months

Tuesday 7th November 2017
quotequote all
Phooey said:
I don't see the point. 3.8 makes upto 430hp anyhow and no way the GT4 will get over the full 430. My bet is on 3.8 400hp. Can't see Porsche throwing unnecessary money at the £65k GT4 when they have all the parts on the shelf to already better the last one.

Anyway, it's all speculation and part of the fun smile
Every facelift GT car has come with a 200cc increase. Porsche are predictable! I agree the 3.8 with power kit would be excellent.
I was told it was a 4 litre hence.

Yidwann

677 posts

146 months

Tuesday 7th November 2017
quotequote all
Will I be able to buy one?!
Advertisement

cmoose

43,081 posts

165 months

Tuesday 7th November 2017
quotequote all
Phooey said:
I don't see the point. 3.8 makes upto 430hp anyhow and no way the GT4 will get over the full 430. My bet is on 3.8 400hp. Can't see Porsche throwing unnecessary money at the £65k GT4 when they have all the parts on the shelf to already better the last one.
I agree 100% about 4.0 being pointless. I'd far rather see more power from a 3.8 than a 4.0 with a similar 'detuned' character to the 3.8.

But then you could apply that to the old GT4 and wonder why they didn't make it with a smaller capacity higher revving engine instead of a detuned 3.8. I think in the end because if it had been, say, 3.4 but the same 385PS output (or frankly even more than 385PS) as the 3.8, it would have been seen as 'just' a 3.4. And 3.8 is better than 3.4 because obvs etc.

Person A: What's the engine?
Person B: It's a 3.4.
Person A: The same as the S? That's crap.
The End

So I can easily see the new GT4 being some kind of 4.0 because 4.0 is now all the rage and if it's 3.8 it will be the same as the previous car and that's just st because 4.0 is obviously better than 3.8.

GT4P

3,648 posts

121 months

Tuesday 7th November 2017
quotequote all
Fokker said:
Every facelift GT car has come with a 200cc increase. Porsche are predictable! I agree the 3.8 with power kit would be excellent.
I was told it was a 4 litre hence.
996 to 997.1 both 3.6!
997.2 to 991.1 both 3.8!
Agree with the moose a 3.8 would be better than a choked 4.0

Edited by GT4P on Tuesday 7th November 17:00

gtsralph

665 posts

80 months

Tuesday 7th November 2017
quotequote all
GT4P said:
996 to 997.1 both 3.6!
997.2 to 991.1 both 3.8!
Looking forward to 2025!

Fokker

3,209 posts

158 months

Tuesday 7th November 2017
quotequote all
GT4P said:
996 to 997.1 both 3.6!
997.2 to 991.1 both 3.8!
Agree with the moose a 3.8 would be better than a choked 4.0

Edited by GT4P on Tuesday 7th November 17:00
Aha, I said every facelift...

996 - 3.4 to 3.6
997 - 3.6 to 3.8
991 - 3.8 to 4.0

The 718 is effectively a mild refresh apart form the turbo bks.

isaldiri

4,008 posts

104 months

Tuesday 7th November 2017
quotequote all
Fokker said:
Aha, I said every facelift...

996 - 3.4 to 3.6
997 - 3.6 to 3.8
991 - 3.8 to 4.0

The 718 is effectively a mild refresh apart form the turbo bks.
confused . When did the 996 mk1 gt3 have a 3.4l engine......?

The 997 and 991 have followed the Cup in capacity in the gen2 cars with enough cars being made to make it worth the trouble. This capacity increase is hardly set in stone. Without another application for the engine, imo 4.0 on the gt4 and 4.2 on the rs is v unlikely.

Fokker

3,209 posts

158 months

Tuesday 7th November 2017
quotequote all
isaldiri said:
confused . When did the 996 mk1 gt3 have a 3.4l engine......?

The 997 and 991 have followed the Cup in capacity in the gen2 cars with enough cars being made to make it worth the trouble. This capacity increase is hardly set in stone. Without another application for the engine, imo 4.0 on the gt4 and 4.2 on the rs is v unlikely.
Ok rumbled on the 996 but the 997 and 991 both had 200cc increases. My butler says it's 4 litre and he's reliable. That info has come from the factory.

Smile, its all good banter smile I hope it looks as good as the old one or I'll have to keep the old one and flip the new one back to the dealer.



GT4P

3,648 posts

121 months

Tuesday 7th November 2017
quotequote all
With emissions future set in stone I would hazard a quess cc is only going to get smaller albeit via turbo or hybrid! Perhaps what we are seeing is a road going Cayman clubsport with the 991.2 engine without the turbo perhaps bored out to a 3.2!

Carl_Manchester

4,630 posts

198 months

Tuesday 7th November 2017
quotequote all
Fokker said:
I'll have to keep the old one and flip the new one back to the dealer.

GT4P

3,648 posts

121 months

Tuesday 7th November 2017
quotequote all
Just been reading up on current Porsche engine bore and stroke sizes (9a2 3.0l b6 and 2.5/2.0l b4)all share the same stroke and 3.0/2.0 have same bore whereas 2.5 has a bigger bore ,they also all share same internals.So using off the shelf parts con rods,Pistons etc Porsche could quiet easily build a na f6 3725cc engine, could this be the future gt4 engine?

Fokker

3,209 posts

158 months

Tuesday 7th November 2017
quotequote all
Carl_Manchester said:
Fokker said:
I'll have to keep the old one and flip the new one back to the dealer.
smile

cmoose

43,081 posts

165 months

Tuesday 7th November 2017
quotequote all
GT4P said:
With emissions future set in stone I would hazard a quess cc is only going to get smaller albeit via turbo or hybrid! Perhaps what we are seeing is a road going Cayman clubsport with the 991.2 engine without the turbo perhaps bored out to a 3.2!
GT4P said:
Just been reading up on current Porsche engine bore and stroke sizes (9a2 3.0l b6 and 2.5/2.0l b4)all share the same stroke and 3.0/2.0 have same bore whereas 2.5 has a bigger bore ,they also all share same internals.So using off the shelf parts con rods,Pistons etc Porsche could quiet easily build a na f6 3725cc engine, could this be the future gt4 engine?
Doesn't make much sense.

The MA2 in the latest Carrera is essentially a turbo version of the MA1 from the 9x7.2 and 9x1.1. Can't get my head around the idea of taking the MA1, modifying it for turbocharging, then taking the turbos off, as opposed to just using the closely related MA1 which is already optimised for nasp induction. Plus I think there's absolutely zero chance of the next GT4 being 3.2. All the other GT cars are getting bigger, not smaller, regardless of emissions penalties.

GT4P

3,648 posts

121 months

Wednesday 8th November 2017
quotequote all
cmoose said:
Doesn't make much sense.

The MA2 in the latest Carrera is essentially a turbo version of the MA1 from the 9x7.2 and 9x1.1.
But it is not,different crank ,con rods,Pistons for starters plus the obvious shorter stroke and smaller bores! Hence why make the old 3.8 MA1 for the new gt4 with its different components when they can make up an engine using the current parts ie bore out the f6 3.0 to the same bore as the f4 2.5
keeping the crank and con rods of the 3.0. Thus keeping costs down by sharing common components across the current 911/cayster range!
http://www.porscheboost.com/content.php?6933-A-tec...

Edited by GT4P on Wednesday 8th November 07:48

Porsche911R

15,845 posts

201 months

Wednesday 8th November 2017
quotequote all
Fokker said:
Ok rumbled on the 996 but the 997 and 991 both had 200cc increases. My butler says it's 4 litre and he's reliable. That info has come from the factory.

Smile, its all good banter smile I hope it looks as good as the old one or I'll have to keep the old one and flip the new one back to the dealer.
997.2 3.8
991.1 3.8

cmoose

43,081 posts

165 months

Wednesday 8th November 2017
quotequote all
GT4P said:
But it is not,different crank ,con rods,Pistons for starters plus the obvious shorter stroke and smaller bores!
That doesn't contradict what I said - the MA2 is not a new engine, it's a development of the MA1 - a turbo version of that engine, which was a new engine. Moreover, all of those parts you mention were specified for a turbo application, not a naturally aspirated application. As were all the changes for the MA2. At the very least you'd have to change some of them back again just to regain a naturally aspirated compression ratio. It makes no sense - all you'd be doing is trying to get back to the MA1.

Fokker

3,209 posts

158 months

Wednesday 8th November 2017
quotequote all
Porsche911R said:
Fokker said:
Ok rumbled on the 996 but the 997 and 991 both had 200cc increases. My butler says it's 4 litre and he's reliable. That info has come from the factory.

Smile, its all good banter smile I hope it looks as good as the old one or I'll have to keep the old one and flip the new one back to the dealer.
997.2 3.8
991.1 3.8
You're a bit late to the party here David. That's already been covered and I said facelifts. The 991 was not a 997 facelift.