The new 718 Gt4/Spyder are here!

The new 718 Gt4/Spyder are here!

Author
Discussion

R5PCN

47 posts

13 months

Sunday 8th September
quotequote all
23wn_4f2 said:
Would you mind posting a picture once you have the reflective vinyl plate on, I’ll be getting my GT4 PPF’ed and wouldn’t mind doing that myself...
Yes of course, will do ????
[/quote


Many thanks...

Kazandy37

96 posts

71 months

Sunday 8th September
quotequote all
So, who has gone for Buckets (if either version) vs the 18 ways? Thinking specifically for the Spyder, as assume on GT4 most would go buckets.
I can’t decide and need to lock down in the next few days.

Bedlamater

108 posts

43 months

Sunday 8th September
quotequote all
Kazandy37 said:
So, who has gone for Buckets (if either version) vs the 18 ways? Thinking specifically for the Spyder, as assume on GT4 most would go buckets.
I can’t decide and need to lock down in the next few days.
Gone for 918 buckets. Have them on my GT4 and love them, but appreciate they’re not everyone’s cup of tea. They also look wicked!

notsomadmick

125 posts

105 months

Monday 9th September
quotequote all
Bedlamater said:
Kazandy37 said:
So, who has gone for Buckets (if either version) vs the 18 ways? Thinking specifically for the Spyder, as assume on GT4 most would go buckets.
I can’t decide and need to lock down in the next few days.
Gone for 918 buckets. Have them on my GT4 and love them, but appreciate they’re not everyone’s cup of tea. They also look wicked!
In case it helps, this was my take on seats in a previous post - but I do realise we are all different:

Had the same dilemma:
So went to my OPC and actually spent time testing 18-ways, folding buckets & 918 buckets. To be honest it depends what matters most to you.

They all have strengths and weaknesses.
The 918 buckets look the best. But I am 6 feet tall and 11 stone 7, (40-inch chest) - so find my torso slops around a little bit; from side to side when pressing on. Also, the seat pan is slightly too short to support the back of my legs. And the seating position is very upright - which doesn't bother me, but will bother some people. Also, when set to their lowest position, the 918s go nice and low. The 918s are not heated - but that is a detail.

The folding buckets are a little bit more comfortable and less upright, and can be heated - BUT you can't lower them - and that (for me) is a big downside. Usefully, they can be folded if you need rear access - good in a GT3 w/o cage, but irrelevant in a Spyder. (Might be a good option if you are not too tall.)

18-ways: Many on this forum will give them a 'so so' press - but set up properly they are a damn good seat. They go slightly lower than even the 918s - which for me is a preference. I can get the back-rest in the perfect spot for the mood I am in (i.e. cruising or pressing on.) The seat pan can be extended to suit longer or shorter-legged people. Then when you crank the torso bolsters tight - I didn't 't slop side to side at all.
The leg bolsters are not as snug as the buckets - but not a million miles off when fully tightened. Finally they folded and can be heated if it matters

Eventually, I went with the 18-ways, because they were just more versatile.
You may find it could limit resale - but I bought the car for ME - not the 2nd owner.


thelostboy

3,469 posts

170 months

Monday 9th September
quotequote all
Boxster7 said:
Wow... i didnt realise they were coming so quickly..... Mine is due early Nov, which I believe is the 1st of 2 GT4's my OPC is getting this year.
Are you getting GT4 or Sypder ???
I went to my OPC today and the system said mine was to be finished by the 25th Nov.

Seems they have made all the Spyders first then!

R5PCN

47 posts

13 months

Monday 9th September
quotequote all
Just got to Silverstone and thankfully the 718 GT4 is here...smile

Twinfan

3,980 posts

49 months

Monday 9th September
quotequote all
Cool - any pics? Looking forward to your review smile

AJB88

4,201 posts

116 months

Monday 9th September
quotequote all
R5PCN said:
Just got to Silverstone and thankfully the 718 GT4 is here...smile
Experience centre or dealer?

Twinfan

3,980 posts

49 months

Monday 9th September
quotequote all
AJB88 said:
Experience centre or dealer?
R5PCN said:
NickUSA said:
RSVP911 said:
Just a heads up - I’ve just received my PEC invite email for the 718 Spyder - car arrives there mid October - first free booking was Sat Oct 26th.

Hope this helps smile
23rd October here (GT4)
I had my invite for the GT4 a couple of weeks ago and I’m going on the 9th September which was the first available...
My spec lockdown date is 2nd September...

Mad Scientist

174 posts

24 months

Tuesday 10th September
quotequote all
R5PCN said:
Just got to Silverstone and thankfully the 718 GT4 is here...smile
Come on man! What’s the news?!

Or do they make you sign a gagging order?!

NickUSA

531 posts

112 months

Wednesday 11th September
quotequote all
Mad Scientist said:
R5PCN said:
Just got to Silverstone and thankfully the 718 GT4 is here...smile
Come on man! What’s the news?!

Or do they make you sign a gagging order?!
Obviously did or didn't hand it back biggrin

Mad Scientist

174 posts

24 months

Friday 13th September
quotequote all
Well. I’ve driven it.

The one at PEC is the yellow pre production vehicle they had at Goodwood.

This is obviously my opinion only, but I did have a very good squirt in my 981 GT4 at the weekend to make as good a comparison as I could....

First off, obviously, from outside it is much quieter. Inside however, with the exhaust valves open it is just as loud, albeit a very different noise. It’s a smoother sounding engine, but with a deeper growl as the revs rise. Virtually no overrun burble now, but overall I was pleased. I’m sure this will be a little more subdued sounding at light throttle/slower speeds.

Handling has improved. It’s better balanced somehow and seems to settle out in corners when pushed even better than the 981.

Turn in is noticeably sharper, which is saying something as the last one wasn’t exactly sluggish. Just seems even more chuckable and “darty” to me.

Engine.......is in my opinion fantastic. It pulls hard all the way to 8k, whereas my 981 starts to get out of steam over 6500rpm. You can definitely feel the extra power, but at PEC you never really get up to high enough speeds to really feel the difference. Excited to get the 718 onto a proper track.

The other noticeable step on is the extra torque really pulls it out of slower corners and makes a big difference. This definitely helps make the longer gearing feel that bit better, but I’ve never personally had much issue with the gearing anyway.

Clutch is lighter, but that is good news for my sciatic nerve! Steering felt as well weighted to me.

Overall feels like it’s just moved up a notch, definite evolution but not night and day.

I’m excited to get mine and really enjoy it.

Boxster7

246 posts

52 months

Friday 13th September
quotequote all
Mad Scientist said:
Well. I’ve driven it.

The one at PEC is the yellow pre production vehicle they had at Goodwood.

This is obviously my opinion only, but I did have a very good squirt in my 981 GT4 at the weekend to make as good a comparison as I could....

First off, obviously, from outside it is much quieter. Inside however, with the exhaust valves open it is just as loud, albeit a very different noise. It’s a smoother sounding engine, but with a deeper growl as the revs rise. Virtually no overrun burble now, but overall I was pleased. I’m sure this will be a little more subdued sounding at light throttle/slower speeds.

Handling has improved. It’s better balanced somehow and seems to settle out in corners when pushed even better than the 981.

Turn in is noticeably sharper, which is saying something as the last one wasn’t exactly sluggish. Just seems even more chuckable and “darty” to me.

Engine.......is in my opinion fantastic. It pulls hard all the way to 8k, whereas my 981 starts to get out of steam over 6500rpm. You can definitely feel the extra power, but at PEC you never really get up to high enough speeds to really feel the difference. Excited to get the 718 onto a proper track.

The other noticeable step on is the extra torque really pulls it out of slower corners and makes a big difference. This definitely helps make the longer gearing feel that bit better, but I’ve never personally had much issue with the gearing anyway.

Clutch is lighter, but that is good news for my sciatic nerve! Steering felt as well weighted to me.

Overall feels like it’s just moved up a notch, definite evolution but not night and day.

I’m excited to get mine and really enjoy it.
Great review, thanks for sharing....
Looking forward to getting mine early November:-)

thelostboy

3,469 posts

170 months

Friday 13th September
quotequote all
Excellent!

I read EVO's review the other day and they were mightily impressed, giving the impression it is an improvement.

What is interesting is people have been quick to complain about lack of noise, but although a tad quieter, the EVO writer described it as a sublime engine.

Can't wait to experience it for myself!

Mad Scientist

174 posts

24 months

Friday 13th September
quotequote all
Drove current 981 this morning and it really feels flat at the top now. Noticeably more sluggish! It also feels and sounds much rougher. Hard to describe, but new engine feels silky and really wants to rev.


thistimenextyear

236 posts

94 months

Friday 13th September
quotequote all
Thanks Mad Scientist for the review - it sounds great

I had been underwhelmed with the reports on the external sounds but if there is a nice engine note from inside like you have said, that is where i'm sat, so that's where it matters for me when i'm driving

Bedlamater

108 posts

43 months

Saturday 14th September
quotequote all
Bedlamater said:
23wn_4f2 said:
Bedlamater said:
Anyone gone for Gentian Blue on either their GT4 or Spyder? Need to lock my spec in my Monday on my Spyder and I think I’m going to do it!!
Gentian on a 992 Cab with Crayon leather looks absolutely stunning in the flesh - probably the best combinations I've seen. In the soon to come dreary weather, it may not look as good however I wouldn't let that stop me.
What interior would you go for and PCCBs?
No PCCBs but I am choosing black callipers. Black rims, black & grey interior... Of course I may completely change mind by this evening..







[thumb]https://thumbsnap.com/s/yBtmVqak.jpg[/thu9mb]
So I sacked off the 918s in the end and went for the heated buckets with silver inserts. Stuck with the Gentian Blue and satin black rims... Very nearly went all silver which looks great also, but Gentian just pipped it..



bigmowley

562 posts

121 months

Saturday 14th September
quotequote all
Nice write up madscientist thanks for that. Delighted to hear that it's got a decent engine at last. I got a bit of stick when I compared my 981 GT4 engine to a diesel! The engine was the worst bit of that car IMHO.

My car, Spyder this time, is in build 20th Sept with a due at dealer date of end October.

I've gone a bit overboard on spec but I don't care about resale value and l build it for me.
Carrara white, Spyder interior with red hood, PCCB, Burmeister, folding buckets - as heated seats are a must on a rag top for me, LED lights, plus all the other myriad of bits that should be standard! £92K OTR.

Not a track car this one, just for pottering about plus some Euro trips. Interesting to see what pans out over the production lifetime of the car. Hopefully a less extreme tyre fitment will be available later and I would have gone PDK if it had been available.

Looking forward to adding it to the fleet driving

Mrsnoopy

30 posts

48 months

Does anyone know why lizard green seat belts are now on the configurator for the gt4??

Twinfan

3,980 posts

49 months

No lizard there now, just red/yellow/silver/crayon/blue.