Ferrari 458 new owner initial thoughts and ownership thread

Ferrari 458 new owner initial thoughts and ownership thread

Author
Discussion

fridaypassion

Original Poster:

8,846 posts

231 months

Thursday 6th August 2020
quotequote all
I'm liking the pricing I think I might sell mine!

dereksharpuk

179 posts

171 months

Thursday 6th August 2020
quotequote all
jsw777 said:
Rather high price for an Italia 2012, slightly above average mileage. But 458s are commanding strong money at present as buyers come out of lock-down. But it won't last as we move into the autumn and money become tight.

WCZ

10,645 posts

197 months

Thursday 6th August 2020
quotequote all
jsw777 said:
beautiful car and honestly I dont think it's a bad price

jsw777

43 posts

50 months

Thursday 6th August 2020
quotequote all
dereksharpuk said:
jsw777 said:
Rather high price for an Italia 2012, slightly above average mileage. But 458s are commanding strong money at present as buyers come out of lock-down. But it won't last as we move into the autumn and money become tight.
Same price as it was previously up for as I looked at it. Pretty sure Reg said he got 5k off that too when he bought it.

fridaypassion

Original Poster:

8,846 posts

231 months

Thursday 6th August 2020
quotequote all
JCT had knocked 5k off all of their 458 Stock. Seemed to do the job!

achaddy

35 posts

132 months

Thursday 6th August 2020
quotequote all
jsw777 said:
Looks like you’ve sold yours back to the dealer?
Sold it or sent it back rejected??

That's the million dollar question for anyone else interested.

WilliamWaiver

439 posts

48 months

Thursday 6th August 2020
quotequote all


Ferrari main dealer premium -

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202...

This car was up at Autostore Cambridge at £133k RETAIL for 6 months and its now reappeared at Ferrari main dealer for £150k ?
Wow, nice margin if you can get

fridaypassion

Original Poster:

8,846 posts

231 months

Saturday 17th October 2020
quotequote all
So a couple of months on and we've had some adventures! 2500 miles clocked up so I'm doing much more with this car than I did my previous Evora. I was always determined to enjoy it and really its getting used at every opportunity as it should be I guess!

So I had an invite to the challenge racing at Silverstone which was great I don't have any pics due to a phone change! But it was a crisp sunny day lots of Ferraris in attendance in the paddock.

Next up due to a bit of a quirk of fate it ended up going on a trip to the Ring! My track car is broken at the moment so I had a hire car booked for the trackday but couldn't resist making the journey in the 458. We normally do Hull Rotterdam from here in Yorkshire but due to the Covid restrictions we needed to do the Tunnel which is a bit of a trek basically 10 hours driving in the day. I have to say though much to my surprise the Ferrari is a superb GT car! I have cruise control on my car which was one of my only must have options having read feedback on the hyperactive gas pedal. It swallowed miles like a proper GT and I arrived at both ends of the trip feeling pretty fresh and really enjoyed the trip. Great reaction from people got egged on for a couple of flybys on the way down which I of course obliged!



Straight to ringfreaks to register



I did the trackday in one of rent4rings swifts but couldn't resist doing one lap in the 458. It's highly unlikely to ever return there so one half dry half wet lap was completed. Unfortunately a 430 Scud had a bit of a mishap right in front of me and the Nurburgring claimed another victim.



Soon it was time for the off and completed the trip home in 10 hours and again arrived feeling remarkably fresh. I do a lot of driving for work usually in my VW T5 and I usually feel really worn out after a similar length of time on that. Odd but no complaints!

Also got an invite to drive the new F8





This is probably not the place for a full review but I think it's a very different car to the 458. The 458 feels really raw against the newer car. The F8 has a far better ride but the engine and noise factor just kill the upgrade path for me unfortunately. I would be really interested to drive the 430 I suspect maybe in the future that might be something to look at as they are just such a good looking car. For now though I only have eyes for one Ferrari! Next week sees a couple of mods I'll leave those for the next installment!

fridaypassion

Original Poster:

8,846 posts

231 months

Tuesday 25th January 2022
quotequote all
Well I remembered I had an owners thread going so unfortunately this update is the last one as the car has now been sold!

I can't believe its over a year since I updated the thread but I had a great time with the 458. In 2021 the highlight was a trackday with RMA at Silverstone



The 458 is a bloody brilliant track car I know the majority of owners won't dream of doing so but you have to remember for all the fuss around the brand and the swanky showrooms and whatever that surrounds Ferrari the car is made by a race team so it should be unsurprising that it is actually geared towards track driving! Silverstone has a lot of run off so it felt pretty safe giving it some beans around there and getting to truly stretch the prancing horses legs was a memory I will treasure forever. The brakes really work properly when you get some good heat in them (and for a while after the day too) and the handling on track is amazing it really feels in its element on the track.

I had a surprise few laps of Blyton park as well just a few little sessions but even on a short twisty track like that the short gear ratios and punchy changes made it a brilliant experience again.

The car had a service in June this was always going to be a twitchy moment but it went through with no issues and cost just over a grand so quite expensive for a fancy oil change but not bad for supercar I guess.

The other major thing on the car I changed the tyres from Super sports to PS4S...Oh my I wish I had done that earlier hat a totally transformation! The slightly choppy ride was gone the steering got more feel and grip improved even in the recent cold weather. If you have any other tyre on your 458 now immediately change them for PS4s!

So aside from those days out and an odd weekend away thats all that was really done last year. Covid spoilt a few plans of course but I still managed to clock up 4500 mils in my 18 months of ownership.

So why sell the car? Well it was a long time coming to the 458 market but the prices despite being flat whilst everyone was enjoying serious appreciation us Ferrari guys were sort of sat waiting for something to happen and at the turn of the year we started to see a decent uplift so the opportunity came to basically jump out of it for what I paid. Not a bad experience to have had a car like this and come out with ones shirt intact! The other consideration we have a 3 day Euro track trip planned for the summer and although the 458 is wonderful on track I think it's fair to say that 3 hard days on track would probably not be the best thing for it so I am currently looking for a GT3 to replace it.

So there we have it what a car is all I can say. This and the GT3 are the only cars of this level that interest me so I suspect in the future I might well have another 458. My only worry there is that I suspect that they are going to continue to go up and up in price possibly beyond my means! I always felt that for what you get for at the time I bought about £130k this is in my mind the last proper car Ferrari made. NA V8 with "that" gearbox ah its completely brilliant and it's been a privilege to own but onwards and upwards!


MingtheMerciless

434 posts

212 months

Wednesday 26th January 2022
quotequote all
Have just changed for PS4s so looking forward to scrubbing them a bit and seeing how they compare.

A nice ownership experience description thanks, it sounds like you got a lot out of it so what's to regret moving on? I agree on choices as the GT3 is the only other car that interests me. If I could run both I would.

fridaypassion

Original Poster:

8,846 posts

231 months

Wednesday 26th January 2022
quotequote all
MingtheMerciless said:
Have just changed for PS4s so looking forward to scrubbing them a bit and seeing how they compare.

A nice ownership experience description thanks, it sounds like you got a lot out of it so what's to regret moving on? I agree on choices as the GT3 is the only other car that interests me. If I could run both I would.
I would have loved both but I think for me that would have been a bit of a stretch and wouldn't want costs to spoil the enjoyment!.Still hunting for a GT3 as ever as soon as you start looking all the cars evaporate!

blueSL

629 posts

229 months

Friday 28th January 2022
quotequote all
I have a couple of GT3s and I switched them both from
Pilot Sport Cup 2 to PS4S at the end of last year which totally transformed the car. When the time comes to change the tyres on my 488 GTB and F8 Spider, I’ll be doing the same.

Gibbo205

3,572 posts

210 months

Monday 31st January 2022
quotequote all
blueSL said:
I have a couple of GT3s and I switched them both from
Pilot Sport Cup 2 to PS4S at the end of last year which totally transformed the car. When the time comes to change the tyres on my 488 GTB and F8 Spider, I’ll be doing the same.
Cup 2 tyres seriously limit a cars ability on the road in typical British climate, why so many people are keen on optioning them in unknown if your planning a lot of road use.

Even cold dry track days can be problematic with cup 2 tyres, can take 2-3 laps to get them working, that is on track where your pushing 10/10, you can't really drive like that on the road so cup 2 tyres rarely are at optimal operating window on a British road, apart from maybe the height of the Summer.

PS4S are vastly superior as a road tyre, you will have more grip 90% of the time.

If I keep my Exige I plan on buying another set of wheels which will be shod with PS4S and I will keep the Cup 2 tyres for dry only track days until they wear out and then probably fit something even stickier for track.

blueSL

629 posts

229 months

Tuesday 1st February 2022
quotequote all
Agree with that, the PS4S transform the driving experience and I will put them on my other cars at next tyre change. They are sold as occasional track use only compared to the sport cups but those are a nightmare in the wet and difficult to get up to temperature. There was no option when I bought my GT3s and I wish I had found out about them sooner.

fridaypassion

Original Poster:

8,846 posts

231 months

Tuesday 1st February 2022
quotequote all
The PS4 tyres were completely transformative over the Supersports. Better steering feel better ride better grip especially at low temps. Wish I had fitted them at the start of ownership rather than the end but hey ho!

Mark Stevens

165 posts

193 months

Sunday 20th March 2022
quotequote all
Enjoyed reading your experience, superb.

Currently looking for 458 myself however the days of a 130k well spec example has well & truly gone!

Have you found a GT3 yet?

fridaypassion

Original Poster:

8,846 posts

231 months

Sunday 20th March 2022
quotequote all
Hi Mark yes after a fair bit of searching I did get a GT3

It was a toss up between a 99.2 GT3 or a .1 RS. I wanted a full spec clubsport/lift/pccb car and finding one proved pretty hard to say how many cars there are on the market. In the end I figured the RS at the same sort of money was probably a no brainer and it removed the risk of further upgraditis!

So a trip to Portmouth later I got this



16 plate 3RS with just under 13k on the clock full spec car the only thing its missing is some parking sensors but have soon got used to that.

Comparisons against the 458 well its tough. The 458 was an awesome car and a huge pair of boots to fill. It's not as much of an event it's fair to say but the steering and ride are better on the 911. You really have to wind the 911 up to get to the peachy bit of the performance but it is incredible when it's up there. The composure on road is fantastic and doesn't really match the "too stiff for the road" comments I have seen an almost all GT3 reviews. I have been on track with it already Donington Park where it proved to be a very quick and capable car (no spoilers there) Interestingly despite me driving at no more than 810ths it still came within 3 seconds of the laptime of my "proper" track car a 400BHP VX220 which I was amazed by.

So the GT3 is a very capable machine I love the look of them. The exhaust is a bit too quiet but I do have a centre box delete to put on that it came with so that should add to the theatre a bit when thats on. The whole change was prompted by a summer Ring and Spa trip that the 911 will be far more suited to than the 458 would have been. I will see how we go but honestly I'm thinking of going back to a 458. A truly special car thats just crazy against the pretty sensible 911. It's a tough one as the 911 has surprised at how good a road car it is the steering is pretty decent for an electric rack and the ride is very composed. It's fair to say the jury is out presently I can only afford one of them so will see how this year plays out and where values go. I got a good buy with the 911 and could probably get a bit more than I paid for it but the 458 values are on a real charge at the moment and its that's factor I need to watch. I always felt that the 458 was stupid value at 130. Decent ones are already heading towards 140/150. The big thing for me with the 458 is just the warranty cost. It's really very well priced with the Porsche stuff (and they actually cover stuff) but the F warranty is very expensive and basically useless. Maybe just man up and run a self funded pot?

WCZ

10,645 posts

197 months

Monday 21st March 2022
quotequote all
once you've got a 458 it's yours and then at least you don't have to worry about being priced out of the market in the future

Mark Stevens

165 posts

193 months

Monday 21st March 2022
quotequote all
The RS looks spot on, a totally different experience.

Well today after a while trying to find the perfect spec I’ve finally found one & purchased it. I had to act quickly before it was put on the market. I’m over the moon.

fridaypassion said:
Hi Mark yes after a fair bit of searching I did get a GT3

It was a toss up between a 99.2 GT3 or a .1 RS. I wanted a full spec clubsport/lift/pccb car and finding one proved pretty hard to say how many cars there are on the market. In the end I figured the RS at the same sort of money was probably a no brainer and it removed the risk of further upgraditis!

So a trip to Portmouth later I got this



16 plate 3RS with just under 13k on the clock full spec car the only thing its missing is some parking sensors but have soon got used to that.

Comparisons against the 458 well its tough. The 458 was an awesome car and a huge pair of boots to fill. It's not as much of an event it's fair to say but the steering and ride are better on the 911. You really have to wind the 911 up to get to the peachy bit of the performance but it is incredible when it's up there. The composure on road is fantastic and doesn't really match the "too stiff for the road" comments I have seen an almost all GT3 reviews. I have been on track with it already Donington Park where it proved to be a very quick and capable car (no spoilers there) Interestingly despite me driving at no more than 810ths it still came within 3 seconds of the laptime of my "proper" track car a 400BHP VX220 which I was amazed by.

So the GT3 is a very capable machine I love the look of them. The exhaust is a bit too quiet but I do have a centre box delete to put on that it came with so that should add to the theatre a bit when thats on. The whole change was prompted by a summer Ring and Spa trip that the 911 will be far more suited to than the 458 would have been. I will see how we go but honestly I'm thinking of going back to a 458. A truly special car thats just crazy against the pretty sensible 911. It's a tough one as the 911 has surprised at how good a road car it is the steering is pretty decent for an electric rack and the ride is very composed. It's fair to say the jury is out presently I can only afford one of them so will see how this year plays out and where values go. I got a good buy with the 911 and could probably get a bit more than I paid for it but the 458 values are on a real charge at the moment and its that's factor I need to watch. I always felt that the 458 was stupid value at 130. Decent ones are already heading towards 140/150. The big thing for me with the 458 is just the warranty cost. It's really very well priced with the Porsche stuff (and they actually cover stuff) but the F warranty is very expensive and basically useless. Maybe just man up and run a self funded pot?

fridaypassion

Original Poster:

8,846 posts

231 months

Monday 21st March 2022
quotequote all
What did you buy Mark a 458?

I'm looking at options at the moment. I have a couple of other cars I could move to make a 458 work. Just need to hide it from the wife!