GT3 to 458

GT3 to 458

Author
Discussion

Brewster Green

Original Poster:

11 posts

2 months

Saturday 8th May
quotequote all
Hi All

I have just sold my GT3 991.2, great car but I did not find it fun.

I am thinking of a 458, I am however worried about the "right" price for colours, seats, extras and mileage as there seems to be such a big range. I found in the GT3 I would pull up at traffic lights and someone in a Ford ST would try and race me, I really disliked that image.

The question is have you experienced any negative feedback, and thoughts on spec and current retail prices?

Thanks in advance

rat rod

2,446 posts

32 months

Saturday 8th May
quotequote all
Sorry ,can't help you with your questions but just in intrigued by your nick name Brewster green,

Had a Bentley in Brewster green , Are you connected with Rolls or Bentley,

Just being nosy ,scratchchin

fridaypassion

5,607 posts

195 months

Saturday 8th May
quotequote all
Interesting I was thinking of a 991.2 after the Fez but I feel I should have had a GT3 first. I have driven a GT3 before and it has none of the ragged edges that define the 458. The 458 is obviously quicker the gearbox is quicker and better the noise is better but the ride and chassis are not!

Cheib

20,543 posts

142 months

Saturday 8th May
quotequote all
Brewster Green is also a popular Porsche PTS colour....although not seen any GT3’s in that spec in this country. For me with cars it’s so much about how you use them....458 and GT3 are both great cars but both offer very different experiences.

rat rod

2,446 posts

32 months

Saturday 8th May
quotequote all
Cheib said:
Brewster Green is also a popular Porsche PTS colour....although not seen any GT3’s in that spec in this country. For me with cars it’s so much about how you use them....458 and GT3 are both great cars but both offer very different experiences.
Learn something every day ,teacher See very few Porsches in green, the ones i have seen look great ,

A refreshing change from the norm.

Was also thinking about going back to Porsche,replace one of the Ferrari's with something a bit more usable ,

Got to be a manual, The air cooled cars are getting older and more expensive so thought i'd give a water cooled one a try,

Seem better value for money plus need to do some miles in it so not a collectors piece.

Maybe a Gen 2 997 or do they do a manual 991, scratchchin

Taffy66

4,662 posts

69 months

Saturday 8th May
quotequote all
I owned both concurrently(both now sold) and like Cheib said very different cars. The 458 rides much better especially in 'bumpy mode' but the GT3 has more grip in corners(wider Cup 2s). I felt the 458 was a fair bit faster in a straight line but the GT3's PCCBs were superior in all aspects especially when cold. The 458 garners more attention from the public but it was the GT3 boy racers wanted to chase. A lot of this was due to my GT3 being Racing yellow and my 458 in a subdued Grigio Silverstone.
The racing seats in the 458 had much harder cushions but was still hugely supportive and comfy on long trips. Perceived build quality is higher in the GT3 but in reality after much use the 458 is pretty much bomb proof even the interior materials. The 458 is ultra sensitive to having the correct geo and the best tyres. I fitted a set of K1 MP4Ss to my 458 and they transformed the car for the better and was truly astonishing in the wet, much much better than the GT3 in similar conditions.
The steering feel was much better in the GT3 as was throttle modulation. Both were equally quick revving.
I liked both equally and for someone coming out of a 991.2GT3 then a nice 458 is a logical and different alternative.

av185

13,723 posts

94 months

Saturday 8th May
quotequote all
Both cars attract the usual chavs innits wanting to challenge you to no avail of course and both are colour sensitive to this sort of behaviour.

458 far less focused as a drivers car and not just down to the auto gearbox. Great car if a touch dated but holding well residually. Width on a b road can be an issue. Not so the GT3.

Would rate the GT3s PDKs gearbox over the F1 in the 458. Similarly the masterpiece GT3 engine which is one of the best if not the best. The 991.2 manual gearbox is obvs the best for driver interaction.

Both great cars without question but the 992.1 GT3 is the outstanding one and the pick of the two as it will be remembered long after the 458 fades away.

DT398

1,663 posts

115 months

Saturday 8th May
quotequote all
On the other hand, the 458 is a huge event compared with any GT3 and it’s something of a kind that simply won’t be made by Ferrari ever again.

Might not be the best and the fastest F car anymore but it still has an epic V8 that hits 9k rpm, has a chaotic but somehow endearing driver interface and will put a smile on your face just sitting in the garage.

Sensible step up from a GT3 imho and will be remembered and valued for some time to come. The 991 GT3 will be remembered until everyone has a 992 (more or less). All imho of course.

And to answer the OP’s question, the reaction is overwhelmingly positive in my experience. As for spec, get the one you like, you will at least enjoy losing a bit of money in the process!

Akajak

831 posts

206 months

Saturday 8th May
quotequote all
av185 said:
Both cars attract the usual chavs innits wanting to challenge you to no avail of course and both are colour sensitive to this sort of behaviour.

458 far less focused as a drivers car and not just down to the auto gearbox. Great car if a touch dated but holding well residually. Width on a b road can be an issue. Not so the GT3.

Would rate the GT3s PDKs gearbox over the F1 in the 458. Similarly the masterpiece GT3 engine which is one of the best if not the best. The 991.2 manual gearbox is obvs the best for driver interaction.

Both great cars without question but the 992.1 GT3 is the outstanding one and the pick of the two as it will be remembered long after the 458 fades away.
Have you a GT3 by any chance

Cheib

20,543 posts

142 months

Saturday 8th May
quotequote all
rat rod said:
Cheib said:
Brewster Green is also a popular Porsche PTS colour....although not seen any GT3’s in that spec in this country. For me with cars it’s so much about how you use them....458 and GT3 are both great cars but both offer very different experiences.
Learn something every day ,teacher See very few Porsches in green, the ones i have seen look great ,

A refreshing change from the norm.

Was also thinking about going back to Porsche,replace one of the Ferrari's with something a bit more usable ,

Got to be a manual, The air cooled cars are getting older and more expensive so thought i'd give a water cooled one a try,

Seem better value for money plus need to do some miles in it so not a collectors piece.

Maybe a Gen 2 997 or do they do a manual 991, scratchchin
Manual 997 GTS is a lovely car....not many for sale because owners love them. Mid £60k's is the right number for one of them. It's one of those cars that is better than the sum of its parts. Just a little bit sportier than a regular 997 in terms of chassis and it has what is known as a Powerkit engine which makes an extra 30 bhp but crucially if you have a manual gives it a nicer and more rewarding top end. It's the marriage of the 6 speed gearbox and that engine that makes the car. It's not a GT3 mind.

rat rod

2,446 posts

32 months

Sunday 9th May
quotequote all
Cheib said:
Manual 997 GTS is a lovely car....not many for sale because owners love them. Mid £60k's is the right number for one of them. It's one of those cars that is better than the sum of its parts. Just a little bit sportier than a regular 997 in terms of chassis and it has what is known as a Powerkit engine which makes an extra 30 bhp but crucially if you have a manual gives it a nicer and more rewarding top end. It's the marriage of the 6 speed gearbox and that engine that makes the car. It's not a GT3 mind.
While looking though the classifieds i must admit to the gts turning my head but didn't know much about them,

that would be a good compromise between a standard 997 and a 991 ,

Prefer the size of the 997 , looks like it might be more agile but that might be my imagination.

Not sure i would want to pay the premium for a older GT3 but would rather go the whole hog dig deeper and get a GT3 RS

Thanks for the info ,very intersting about the gts,

supersport

3,328 posts

194 months

Sunday 9th May
quotequote all
rat rod said:
Cheib said:
Brewster Green is also a popular Porsche PTS colour....although not seen any GT3’s in that spec in this country. For me with cars it’s so much about how you use them....458 and GT3 are both great cars but both offer very different experiences.
Learn something every day ,teacher See very few Porsches in green, the ones i have seen look great ,

A refreshing change from the norm.

Was also thinking about going back to Porsche,replace one of the Ferrari's with something a bit more usable ,

Got to be a manual, The air cooled cars are getting older and more expensive so thought i'd give a water cooled one a try,

Seem better value for money plus need to do some miles in it so not a collectors piece.

Maybe a Gen 2 997 or do they do a manual 991, scratchchin
That new fangled water in a 911 will never catch on hehe


supersport

3,328 posts

194 months

Sunday 9th May
quotequote all
Akajak said:
av185 said:
Both cars attract the usual chavs innits wanting to challenge you to no avail of course and both are colour sensitive to this sort of behaviour.

458 far less focused as a drivers car and not just down to the auto gearbox. Great car if a touch dated but holding well residually. Width on a b road can be an issue. Not so the GT3.

Would rate the GT3s PDKs gearbox over the F1 in the 458. Similarly the masterpiece GT3 engine which is one of the best if not the best. The 991.2 manual gearbox is obvs the best for driver interaction.

Both great cars without question but the 992.1 GT3 is the outstanding one and the pick of the two as it will be remembered long after the 458 fades away.
Have you a GT3 by any chance
458 doesn’t have an F1 box, it’s one of those double clutch automatic thingies.

Comparing a bloatware 992 with a 458 is an odd thing to do, different generations. The 458 is a thing of beauty where as the 992 is a butt ugly monstrosity.

EvoSid

963 posts

30 months

Sunday 9th May
quotequote all
supersport said:
458 doesn’t have an F1 box, it’s one of those double clutch automatic thingies.

Comparing a bloatware 992 with a 458 is an odd thing to do, different generations. The 458 is a thing of beauty where as the 992 is a butt ugly monstrosity.
I think he was comparing the 991 GT3 to the 458 but I do agree the 992 is pretty unappealing in the eye and pretty ugly when sat next to a 458

rat rod

2,446 posts

32 months

Sunday 9th May
quotequote all
supersport said:
That new fangled water in a 911 will never catch on hehe
Ha, Ha very funny biglaugh

MrVert

3,785 posts

206 months

Sunday 9th May
quotequote all
Had both GT3 & 458...you'll get way more attention in the 458...

Only had one negative reaction in 2 years though...and that was a 15 year old lad...bless hehe

There's nothing not to like about the 458, brilliant modern era super car, go-cart like handling, pinpoint steering, sounds amazing and is the best looking Ferrari since the 355 IMO.


Brewster Green

Original Poster:

11 posts

2 months

Sunday 9th May
quotequote all
rat rod said:
Sorry ,can't help you with your questions but just in intrigued by your nick name Brewster green,

Had a Bentley in Brewster green , Are you connected with Rolls or Bentley,

Just being nosy ,scratchchin
No problem, no connection with Bentley other than a fantastic factory tour.

Here is a GT3 touring in the PTS colour.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/brewster-green-...

Brewster Green

Original Poster:

11 posts

2 months

Sunday 9th May
quotequote all
Taffy66 said:
I owned both concurrently(both now sold) and like Cheib said very different cars. The 458 rides much better especially in 'bumpy mode' but the GT3 has more grip in corners(wider Cup 2s). I felt the 458 was a fair bit faster in a straight line but the GT3's PCCBs were superior in all aspects especially when cold. The 458 garners more attention from the public but it was the GT3 boy racers wanted to chase. A lot of this was due to my GT3 being Racing yellow and my 458 in a subdued Grigio Silverstone.
The racing seats in the 458 had much harder cushions but was still hugely supportive and comfy on long trips. Perceived build quality is higher in the GT3 but in reality after much use the 458 is pretty much bomb proof even the interior materials. The 458 is ultra sensitive to having the correct geo and the best tyres. I fitted a set of K1 MP4Ss to my 458 and they transformed the car for the better and was truly astonishing in the wet, much much better than the GT3 in similar conditions.
The steering feel was much better in the GT3 as was throttle modulation. Both were equally quick revving.
I liked both equally and for someone coming out of a 991.2GT3 then a nice 458 is a logical and different alternative.
Thanks Taffy for your comprehensive reply.

I put the GT3 on MPS4S's as I did not like the Cup 2's in the wet. I was certainly glad I did when I went to Millbrook on the wettest day in history last August.

Prior to my purchase of the GT3 I did loads of research, not one bad review. I had a couple of 911's prior and loved them, I thus thought the GT3 would be fantastic. Short test drives didn't really show me the car, I now worry I could make the same mistake with a 458.

I am just a average driver and I think I therefore really couldn't get the most from the car. I don't want more power, so I am not looking at the 458 as a performance improvement. I am interested in the replacement being more fun at slower speeds and touring Europe in comfort. I just want a smile on my face every time I drive it!


Thanks to everyone who has replied, I look forward to hearing more.

Cheib

20,543 posts

142 months

Sunday 9th May
quotequote all
rat rod said:
Cheib said:
Manual 997 GTS is a lovely car....not many for sale because owners love them. Mid £60k's is the right number for one of them. It's one of those cars that is better than the sum of its parts. Just a little bit sportier than a regular 997 in terms of chassis and it has what is known as a Powerkit engine which makes an extra 30 bhp but crucially if you have a manual gives it a nicer and more rewarding top end. It's the marriage of the 6 speed gearbox and that engine that makes the car. It's not a GT3 mind.
While looking though the classifieds i must admit to the gts turning my head but didn't know much about them,

that would be a good compromise between a standard 997 and a 991 ,

Prefer the size of the 997 , looks like it might be more agile but that might be my imagination.

Not sure i would want to pay the premium for a older GT3 but would rather go the whole hog dig deeper and get a GT3 RS

Thanks for the info ,very intersting about the gts,
997 and 991 is very similar in width. 991 has longer wheelbase and wider glasshouse so feels bigger. 991 Carrera or Carrera S feels more like a GT car than a Sports Car when you’re not pushing it....when you do push it then feels like a Sports Car. 997 feels more like a Sports Car all of the time to me.

Oilchange

7,147 posts

227 months

Sunday 9th May
quotequote all
supersport said:
Comparing a bloatware 992 with a 458 is an odd thing to do, different generations. The 458 is a thing of beauty where as the 992 is a butt ugly monstrosity.
hehe