812 spider - how available are they?

812 spider - how available are they?

Author
Discussion

AndrewD

Original Poster:

6,953 posts

230 months

Tuesday 10th September
quotequote all
As thread title - are dealers calling round people trying to fill allocation or are they difficult to get hold of?

cgt2

1,333 posts

134 months

Tuesday 10th September
quotequote all
Very limited initially and prefence given to people with previous purchases.

But then so were 812's when announced and there are plenty around now. Although not limited edition it is limited by production span.

Edited by cgt2 on Tuesday 10th September 21:46

seawise

1,508 posts

152 months

Wednesday 11th September
quotequote all
Plenty of initial demand from current customer base is my understanding, but would have thought they'd take your order and you'd would get an allocation towards the back end of the production run. Personally I think it's a bit too similar to the coupe, so I will stick.

Edited by seawise on Wednesday 11th September 08:58

willy wombat

373 posts

94 months

Wednesday 11th September
quotequote all
Personally I'm a little bit lost as to the point of it. The 812 I get, but a spider version? If you want a Ferrari spider for touring surely the Portofino ticks the box or am I missing something?

Doofus

10,018 posts

119 months

Wednesday 11th September
quotequote all
willy wombat said:
Personally I'm a little bit lost as to the point of it. The 812 I get, but a spider version? If you want a Ferrari spider for touring surely the Portofino ticks the box or am I missing something?
Isn't it just the case that Ferrari can build whatever they want and customers will buy it whether or not they want one, just so that they can be allowed to buy whatever comes next?


MDL111

3,817 posts

123 months

Wednesday 11th September
quotequote all
willy wombat said:
Personally I'm a little bit lost as to the point of it. The 812 I get, but a spider version? If you want a Ferrari spider for touring surely the Portofino ticks the box or am I missing something?
A V12 - have no interest in a Portofino but would consider this one

garystoybox

247 posts

63 months

Wednesday 11th September
quotequote all
MDL111 said:
A V12 - have no interest in a Portofino but would consider this one
This exactly. I was never a convertible fan until I tried 488 GTB vs 488 Spider back to back. The increased vocal delights being much greater than I expected and this being for a turbo. What a N/a V12 must sound like without a roof! That said, I wonder if it will be a little more muted due to the engine not being sited a few inches behind your ears? Also not convinced that it looks as good as the 812 hard top imo.

cgt2

1,333 posts

134 months

Wednesday 11th September
quotequote all
Probably also the last N/A V12 convertible by Ferrari if not any manufacturer as even Lamborghini now appear to be going hybrid for the future.

I was literally hours away from buying a 575 Superamerica some years back until I became aware of the roof cracking issue but trust me, a front engined Ferrari V12 with no roof is an epic recipe and completely unlike any V8, from a sonic and experiential basis it is quite unique. I still remember a drive I took in the 575 all these years later.

Nijius Maximus

582 posts

57 months

Wednesday 11th September
quotequote all
willy wombat said:
Personally I'm a little bit lost as to the point of it. The 812 I get, but a spider version? If you want a Ferrari spider for touring surely the Portofino ticks the box or am I missing something?
I'm sorry what?

You're comparing the V8 turbo charged Portofino sports car to the NA 6.5l V12 8,900rpm full on supercar / super GT which sounds absolutely insane? And you don't see the point of being able to experience that F1 exhaust note in all its glory with the roof off?!

I was invited to Fiorano today to view it and absolutely loved it... cool In fact there was an 812 coupe on track today and it sounded amazing. Great hospitality by the way and a beautiful car:



As to the OP's question: my understanding is that those with a good history will be more likely to get one...

willy wombat

373 posts

94 months

Wednesday 11th September
quotequote all
I stand corrected!

footsoldier

1,450 posts

138 months

Wednesday 11th September
quotequote all
Looks great, and I’ll be amazed if you can’t get one after the initial rush.

topboss

333 posts

199 months

Thursday 12th September
quotequote all
Personally don’t think they’ll be too hard to get hold of once the initial hype has quietened down.

I know my local dealer is struggling with its customer base, those that would normally buy pretty much everything going have started putting the road blocks up which has opened the door for others.

I was invited along to the launch with a few others that wouldn’t be classified as ‘VIP’ customers so the net even at the first hurdle has been spread a little wider.


WCZ

7,167 posts

140 months

Thursday 12th September
quotequote all
topboss said:
I know my local dealer is struggling with its customer base, those that would normally buy pretty much everything going have started putting the road blocks up which has opened the door for others.

I was invited along to the launch with a few others that wouldn’t be classified as ‘VIP’ customers so the net even at the first hurdle has been spread a little wider.
this, things have changed a little over the last year or so, just so many models and plans for many more.

PGN6

123 posts

89 months

Thursday 12th September
quotequote all
I love the look of this but unsure whether any dealer would take a deposit? Any suggestions welcome!!

cgt2

1,333 posts

134 months

Thursday 12th September
quotequote all
PGN6 said:
I love the look of this but unsure whether any dealer would take a deposit? Any suggestions welcome!!
They are taking deposits. Happy to give you a contact at HR Owen by pm. Pricing due to be confirmed in a couple of weeks.

PGN6

123 posts

89 months

Thursday 12th September
quotequote all
cgt2 said:
They are taking deposits. Happy to give you a contact at HR Owen by pm. Pricing due to be confirmed in a couple of weeks.
Thanks , have sent you a pm

marky1

794 posts

142 months

Friday 13th September
quotequote all
Nijius Maximus said:
I'm sorry what?

You're comparing the V8 turbo charged Portofino sports car to the NA 6.5l V12 8,900rpm full on supercar / super GT which sounds absolutely insane? And you don't see the point of being able to experience that F1 exhaust note in all its glory with the roof off?!

I was invited to Fiorano today to view it and absolutely loved it... cool In fact there was an 812 coupe on track today and it sounded amazing. Great hospitality by the way and a beautiful car:



As to the OP's question: my understanding is that those with a good history will be more likely to get one...
Will it sound insane with that GPF though.....

WCZ

7,167 posts

140 months

Friday 13th September
quotequote all
marky1 said:
Will it sound insane with that GPF though.....
no

fistofsteel

48 posts

90 months

Saturday 14th September
quotequote all
What is the likely duration of the production run for these? 2-3 years? I’d be very interested in placing a deposit with a view to a build slot at the end of the run, but not in a position to fund it in the next 12 months or so. No previous Ferrari history so aside from the deposit I wouldn’t display any characteristics to distinguish me from a dreamer!

martinvantage

316 posts

125 months

Thursday 3rd October
quotequote all
I suspect there will be more available than dealers would wish. It’s a lovely car but 812 owners may baulk at cost to change. Too many cars being released to quickly for a slow market.
The product though is still brilliant in my humble view