Jet Fighter?

Author
Discussion

dxbtiger

3,811 posts

105 months

Wednesday 18th July
quotequote all
Finally saw one of these on the road over the weekend, in what I believe they call Fistral blue?

Incredible presence in the flesh, looks like a car from the future.


RSbandit

277 posts

64 months

Wednesday 18th July
quotequote all
that is the absolute nuts, not sure why so many people detracted from the looks of the 720S..I think it moves the game on quite substantially in terms of exterior design...570S beautiful car too.

BlackR8

54 posts

9 months

Thursday 19th July
quotequote all
That is absolutely stunning. I think the colour choice is spot on and really suits the lines of the 720s. Congrats!

justin220

3,712 posts

136 months

Thursday 19th July
quotequote all
RSbandit said:
that is the absolute nuts, not sure why so many people detracted from the looks of the 720S..I think it moves the game on quite substantially in terms of exterior design...570S beautiful car too.
Totally agree. Looks like a space ship!

RSbandit

277 posts

64 months

Friday 20th July
quotequote all
so was getting a spare key programmed for my Vantage today and was chatting to my contact at the dealer about cars and how much I liked the current McLaren line up...so he asks if I fancied a spin in their 720S demo (they have a McLaren showroom close by), is the pope catholic hell yeah!! So get there and someone else has already gone out in the demo car! All was not lost however as their 570GT was an able substitute so got to take it for a blast, my first time driving a McLaren and boy can that thing shift..the 720S must have truly mind bending pace if the 570 was anything to go by. Lovely interior and driving position, great feel to the brake pedal as well... once I tire of the V12 I think a 570 will be the next car for me for sure
Advertisement

LotusJas

Original Poster:

528 posts

163 months

Saturday 21st July
quotequote all
Thanks guys smile

I agree, it does look like a spaceship or fighter jet. Glass canopy around the driver enhances that feeling too, as does the speed and power of course.

I think the looks were initially a shock to people, especially when seen only in pics. I was unsure of it myself initially. But when I saw one in the metal it looked so much more impressive than any pics.

Brake pedal has the feel of an unservo'd car, which I love. And steering feedback is very Lotus like - again an excellent thing for any car.

Edited by LotusJas on Saturday 21st July 22:53

jimmyslr

661 posts

205 months

Saturday 21st July
quotequote all
LotusJas said:
Thanks guys smile

I agree, it does look like a spaceship or fighter jet. Glass canopy around the driver enhances that feeling too, as does the speed and power of course.

I think the looks were initially a shock to people, especially when seen only in pics. I was unsure of it myself initially. But when I saw one in the metal it looked so much more impressive than any pics.

Brake pedal has the feel of an unservo's car, which I love. And steering feedback is very Lotus like - again an excellent thing for any car.
^ this

I didn't like the photos originally. I went to test drive a 570, saw a 720 in the flesh whilst I was there and thought "wow". I keep looking at them and might go there soon. Just need to take a view on the direction of travel of prices and my appetite for depreciation.

Beautiful car OP.

RamboLambo

4,754 posts

102 months

Saturday 21st July
quotequote all
The 720S does not photo well and looks a lot better in the flesh, that said its no looker even though it has grown on me a little.

Don't doubt its ability which are more akin HYPERcar but the looks are very marmite. McLaren seem to be more about function over form.
The 600LT looks mean but still not what I would call sexy and the Senna is hideous in the looks department but goes like roger rabbit

The best looking car within in the range thus far is unquestionably the 675LT spider IMHO

mickv

54 posts

23 months

Sunday 22nd July
quotequote all
Which orange is that? It looks stunning in the sun. I’m looking at a Ventura orange 570 spider but don’t think Ventura is quite as fiery as this?

Gameface

3,841 posts

9 months

Sunday 22nd July
quotequote all
RamboLambo said:
The best looking car within in the range thus far is unquestionably the 675LT spider IMHO
You are so transparent.

woppum

1,112 posts

118 months

Sunday 22nd July
quotequote all
RamboLambo said:
The 720S does not photo well and looks a lot better in the flesh, that said its no looker even though it has grown on me a little.

Don't doubt its ability which are more akin HYPERcar but the looks are very marmite. McLaren seem to be more about function over form.
The 600LT looks mean but still not what I would call sexy and the Senna is hideous in the looks department but goes like roger rabbit

The best looking car within in the range thus far is unquestionably the 675LT spider IMHO
I think the 720 looks great. Couple of pics of my two cars




RamboLambo

4,754 posts

102 months

Sunday 22nd July
quotequote all
Gameface said:
You are so transparent.
biggrin

Senna inbound lol

Edited by RamboLambo on Sunday 22 July 11:57

RamboLambo

4,754 posts

102 months

Sunday 22nd July
quotequote all
woppum said:
I think the 720 looks great. Couple of pics of my two cars



Admittedly the specially blended red works well with the black details but then again for the price I would expect it to.

Like I say the car is a grower but it seems colour sensitive and very HYPERcar in shape/design. If the 12C was ahead of its time that is definitely the case for the 720S. Some may like it straight away whilst others may need time to adjust their eyes and expectations. Its almost Ford Sierra from Cortina again

BTW whilst I love McLaren I'm not a fan of a lot of HYPERcars because of their "wacky, kit car" looks.

andyvdg

1,465 posts

215 months

Sunday 22nd July
quotequote all
I think the car is a stunning design and pretty. I could only see this once I got accustomed to the headlight area as it is so radically different to anything else that has come before. It’s one of the things that has drawn me to the marque for the first time. And I also think it’s one of the few cars that looks great in any colour!

LotusJas

Original Poster:

528 posts

163 months

Sunday 22nd July
quotequote all
Rambo, I do actually think the 720S is utterly stunning, with hypercar looks and performance. But I agree pictures do not do it justice.

Although when you become familiar with its looks in the metal, the pic also start to make more "visual sense" and start to appeal.

Mick, it is Azores orange. Really comes alive in the sun.

Woppum, I like that red smile

Andy, you pretty much summed it up. It is very radically different, and in a good way smile

LotusJas

Original Poster:

528 posts

163 months

Monday 23rd July
quotequote all
I took some pics in my garage smile






















woppum

1,112 posts

118 months

Tuesday 24th July
quotequote all
LotusJas said:
I took some pics in my garage smile





















Your car looks fab !

RamboLambo

4,754 posts

102 months

Tuesday 24th July
quotequote all
LotusJas said:
I took some pics in my garage smile





















Sweet. Mind you I'm getting a headache looking at the chess board twice with the mirrors. Hate to think what its like physically inside there lol

LotusJas

Original Poster:

528 posts

163 months

Tuesday 24th July
quotequote all
Thanks Woppum smile


Rambo, it's positively psychedelic biggrin Don't step in there after having some "special" mushrooms wink

hunter 66

1,908 posts

152 months

Tuesday 24th July
quotequote all
So when is the wife getting the sitting room back ??