2010 R8, how to open exhaust valve on startup every time?

2010 R8, how to open exhaust valve on startup every time?

Author
Discussion

Mario149

Original Poster:

7,445 posts

110 months

Monday 9th July
quotequote all
I've had a search on the interwebs, but can't seem to find the specific answer to my question. When cold, the car starts with the exhaust valve open - I understand this is to get the cats up to temp asap? But then obvs starts with them closed subsequent times (unless they're cold again?).

Assuming it's not damaging to the car, is there a way to get it to start with the valves open every time? I quite like the sound and don't really have neighbours to worry about smile

NeilC4S

136 posts

167 months

Monday 9th July
quotequote all
As far as I am aware it does always start with the valves open. The difference in noise between the first start is to do with the cold start programme. That part can be mapped out of the Ecu. Not sure how you would have it mapped in to do it every time.

Trev450

5,556 posts

104 months

Monday 9th July
quotequote all
Speak to Ricky at RE Performance in Swindon. If it can be done he will know how.

PompeyReece

301 posts

21 months

Monday 9th July
quotequote all
If you pop over to R8talk.com, someone has detailed the process on there.

Will need to search for the post but it’s definitely on there.

Mario149

Original Poster:

7,445 posts

110 months

Thursday 12th July
quotequote all
Thanks all
Advertisement

m4tti

3,888 posts

87 months

Thursday 12th July
quotequote all
Don’t faff about. Get a capristo exhaust. You can then drive with the valves constantly open or closed.

It’s probably the single best mod you can do.

Trev450

5,556 posts

104 months

Thursday 12th July
quotequote all
m4tti said:
Don’t faff about. Get a capristo exhaust. You can then drive with the valves constantly open or closed.

It’s probably the single best mod you can do.
I would have to agree with this but am somewhat biased since this is what I have fitted to mine. biggrin A bit more costly than doing the 'valves permanently open' mod though.

PompeyReece

301 posts

21 months

Friday 13th July
quotequote all
Trev450 said:
m4tti said:
Don’t faff about. Get a capristo exhaust. You can then drive with the valves constantly open or closed.

It’s probably the single best mod you can do.
I would have to agree with this but am somewhat biased since this is what I have fitted to mine. biggrin A bit more costly than doing the 'valves permanently open' mod though.
I've been thinking about this but hearing a lot of owners rave about Top Gear exhausts based in Poole.

Price wise they seem a lot cheaper and I can't recall reading a negative comment regarding quality/service. This is the one for the pre-face lift v8 and comes with a key fob for opening and closing exhausts.

https://www.topgear.co.uk/audi-r8-v8-4-2-valved-f1...

Technically I'm struggling to see a difference between this and more expensive units apart from different exhaust notes and maybe weight?

Trev450

5,556 posts

104 months

Friday 13th July
quotequote all
It does look excellent value and I would certainly consider one if I didn't already have a system fitted.

BlackR8

54 posts

9 months

Friday 13th July
quotequote all
I would highly recommend the Larini Clubsport system, it is epic and totally transforms the Audi R8 IMO.

As for keeping the valves open, I may be wrong but believe it is simply a vaccum hose which you detach from the exhaust and cap it off with a golf tee or the like and you will have your valves open permanently.

Nano2nd

2,956 posts

188 months

Friday 13th July
quotequote all
PompeyReece said:
I've been thinking about this but hearing a lot of owners rave about Top Gear exhausts based in Poole.

Price wise they seem a lot cheaper and I can't recall reading a negative comment regarding quality/service. This is the one for the pre-face lift v8 and comes with a key fob for opening and closing exhausts.

https://www.topgear.co.uk/audi-r8-v8-4-2-valved-f1...

Technically I'm struggling to see a difference between this and more expensive units apart from different exhaust notes and maybe weight?
also been looking at these, would like to hear one in a flesh though...

does anyone have an idea on a what cost fitting an exhaust comes to? looks like you have to remove quite a bit of the rear of the car on the you tube video i watched, i'm pretty handy with the spanners but it did look quite a job

BlackR8

54 posts

9 months

Friday 13th July
quotequote all
i got a quote from PCW the guy who does the OEM exhaust mods (popular with BMW M3 owners) and he said £500 most of which is labour due to the amount of work involved in getting the Exhaust off and then put back on.

Trev450

5,556 posts

104 months

Friday 13th July
quotequote all
The rear bumper has to be removed before you can begin to change the exhaust. Iirc, it's about 8 hours labour.

funbobby

1,387 posts

190 months

Friday 13th July
quotequote all
i did the mod to keep valve open takes about 20-30 mins but is very simple but took my time, wont make much difference and im prob going to go for a capristo set up, an r8 specialist i spoke to said he had a couple of problems with the topgear stuff and sticking valves so put me off a bit but im sure they are fine but if there was a problem they are a long way from me!

NeilC4S

136 posts

167 months

Friday 13th July
quotequote all
I have a topgear v10 exhaust and am one of those that had a valve that stuck. I had great service from Topgear they did all they could to fix it even though I had it fitted elsewhere. I expected them to wriggle out since I had the exhaust delivered and fitted closer to home.

It was a pain going down to them in the west country but they gave me a courtesy car and I made a trip to Beaulieu.

The exhaust looks well built otherwise and is good for the price.

Neil

Nano2nd

2,956 posts

188 months

Saturday 14th July
quotequote all
NeilC4S said:
I have a topgear v10 exhaust and am one of those that had a valve that stuck. I had great service from Topgear they did all they could to fix it even though I had it fitted elsewhere. I expected them to wriggle out since I had the exhaust delivered and fitted closer to home.

It was a pain going down to them in the west country but they gave me a courtesy car and I made a trip to Beaulieu.

The exhaust looks well built otherwise and is good for the price.

Neil
how do you find it sounds compared to the standard car?

NeilC4S

136 posts

167 months

Sunday 22nd July
quotequote all
Closed is very quiet practically stock which was important to me. Open its is loud not lambo loud. Tbh I can't tell the difference between all the after market exhausts I think the material has a notable effect stainless versus titanium. If you fancy a trip to South London you are welcome to listen to it.

Neil