Looking at 458, some questions...

Looking at 458, some questions...

Author
Discussion

Gibbo205

Original Poster:

2,172 posts

145 months

Monday 11th February
quotequote all
Hi there

Looking at a 458 from Ferrari, still can't decide on colour, its a choice of black, red or yellow, any advice here?

Car is a 2011 car with 14k miles and reckon I can get it around 135k.
It has buckets, carbon interior/wheel
satnav
tracker
Forged wheels

Front disc wear is 7%, rear is 9% (assume rear wears more due to traction control?)

Car has had 4 owners. 2yr warranty, set of new PS4S fitted all round.

Worrying things are, it has no lift but Ferrari advice is should be fine as the 458 sits higher than competing cars such as Huracan and GT3.


Well priced, or should I be pushing for lower, lastly should black be avoided or is it a good colour or should I stick with classic red or go more daring and get a yellow one.......

Can you get a clutch wear report on 458 or was that only on the older F1 gear boxes?

MrVert

2,860 posts

177 months

Monday 11th February
quotequote all
Prices have dropped, you'd have been paying 145-150k for that 6 months ago, however there is a feeling prices may be slightly squeezed further so there may be a deal to be had.

Sounds like the perfect spec, I didn't have nor need lift in two years and 4k miles. It does sit higher at the front so it shouldn't be a problem unless you have a steep entry point to your driveway.

Black suits the car brilliantly, however like all black cars keeping it looking good is a PITA...plus check for swirl marks as black is terrible for showing them..

I had a Grigio Silverstone one (see profile) which looked fab and different depending on light conditions however it's a little subdued for many.

I wanted a yellow one but there were none for sale when I was looking. Looks absolutely fab in Giallo, however you will probably have to pay more...or possibly compromise on mileage / spec.

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/...


Gibbo205

Original Poster:

2,172 posts

145 months

Monday 11th February
quotequote all
MrVert said:
Prices have dropped, you'd have been paying 145-150k for that 6 months ago, however there is a feeling prices may be slightly squeezed further so there may be a deal to be had.

Sounds like the perfect spec, I didn't have nor need lift in two years and 4k miles. It does sit higher at the front so it shouldn't be a problem unless you have a steep entry point to your driveway.

Black suits the car brilliantly, however like all black cars keeping it looking good is a PITA...plus check for swirl marks as black is terrible for showing them..

I had a Grigio Silverstone one (see profile) which looked fab and different depending on light conditions however it's a little subdued for many.

I wanted a yellow one but there were none for sale when I was looking. Looks absolutely fab in Giallo, however you will probably have to pay more...or possibly compromise on mileage / spec.

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/...
I do like that car, but I feel they are gambling on the colour regarding price.

Spec wise its no better than one I am looking out, its just yellow and registered later so younger and has some service pack left, not sure the yellow is worth the 20k plus premium over the black one which arguably has nicer wheels too.

Maybe I shall try and squeeze the black one down to 130k, they can only say no.

MrVert

2,860 posts

177 months

Monday 11th February
quotequote all
You're right...it's lovely but not at 20k more. Service pack is indeed very handy to have, I didn't spend a penny on servicing, or anything actually, in two years. However if you're negotiating hard this will go some way towards servicing costs thumbup

One more thing....definitely get one with bucket seats, I found them very comfortable on long journeys and you sit lower in the car. They're the best seats I've had in any car and look beautiful.

Gibbo205

Original Poster:

2,172 posts

145 months

Monday 11th February
quotequote all
MrVert said:
You're right...it's lovely but not at 20k more. Service pack is indeed very handy to have, I didn't spend a penny on servicing, or anything actually, in two years. However if you're negotiating hard this will go some way towards servicing costs thumbup

One more thing....definitely get one with bucket seats, I found them very comfortable on long journeys and you sit lower in the car. They're the best seats I've had in any car and look beautiful.
Already decided on buckets, I found them comfier than the regular seats plus they are like around 20kg lighter per seat, combined with forged wheels your talking pretty much 50kg weight saving.

One last question, I assume the 458 just has a regular AGM or acid battery, so should it fail a replacement can be had from Halfords for around £200 and not £3000 like Mclaren charge for a battery?
Advertisement

MrVert

2,860 posts

177 months

Monday 11th February
quotequote all
A quick google found this, so yes it looks like you're correct.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/458-batt...


garystoybox

145 posts

55 months

Monday 11th February
quotequote all
Surprised that people think prices have softened; they most definitely haven’t for Rosso Corsa cars with black interiors. I sold my 2012, 14k with standard full electric seats, no carbon (apart from the wheel) back to main dealer end December for £133k. They sold the car within 4 days for £147k. Black, yellow, Grigio, Scuderia are in significantly less demand and priced accordingly.
If anything prices have firmed and there are very few 2012 onwards Rosso cars on the market.

Gibbo205

Original Poster:

2,172 posts

145 months

Monday 11th February
quotequote all
garystoybox said:
Surprised that people think prices have softened; they most definitely haven’t for Rosso Corsa cars with black interiors. I sold my 2012, 14k with standard full electric seats, no carbon (apart from the wheel) back to main dealer end December for £133k. They sold the car within 4 days for £147k. Black, yellow, Grigio, Scuderia are in significantly less demand and priced accordingly.
If anything prices have firmed and there are very few 2012 onwards Rosso cars on the market.
Is Rosso the deep metallic red? If so lovely colour and yeah don't see many for sale, quote a few flat bright red cars for sale, but I'd rather black or yellow over regular red, but Rosso red I think would be easy if thats the deep metallic red.

ben5575

1,696 posts

159 months

Monday 11th February
quotequote all
MrVert said:
I wanted a yellow one but there were none for sale when I was looking. Looks absolutely fab in Giallo, however you will probably have to pay more...or possibly compromise on mileage / spec.

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/...
Just saying but you're not allowed to buy that one. That needs to remain unsold until I can afford it wink

She's a beauty isn't she cloud9

Taffy66

1,948 posts

40 months

Monday 11th February
quotequote all
I bought a 458 Italia just before Xmas.Its a late 2011 car in Grigio Silverstone and Nero roof and mirrors with 17K miles..I did about a year's research to find my ideal spec as they vary enormously..The standard stereo is awful so the JBL Hi-Fi is very desirable IMO..Its also a wide car so the optional folding mirrors are essential and to a lesser extent the Photochromatic mirrors which can be switched off.
Make sure its got the Alcantara/leather headlining as the standard fabric looks less than classy..
The 458 underwent a software and suspension upgrade about the same time the 7 year free service plan was introduced which was sometime middle 2011..Cars after this date are more sought after and should command a premium.
Nero Daytona was one of the most common colours on the 458 which should mean a bigger choice although they seem to sell for less money compared to Red or GS.

W4NTED

422 posts

152 months

Monday 11th February
quotequote all
Wouldn't be seen dead in a red Ferrari biggrin

Shouts out - I won the lottery IMHO

If you want one black or Yellow a better choice....I went with Black and love it - gets nothing but positive attention,

W4NTED

422 posts

152 months

Monday 11th February
quotequote all
Gibbo205 said:
Hi there

Looking at a 458 from Ferrari, still can't decide on colour, its a choice of black, red or yellow, any advice here?

Car is a 2011 car with 14k miles and reckon I can get it around 135k.
It has buckets, carbon interior/wheel
satnav
tracker
Forged wheels

Front disc wear is 7%, rear is 9% (assume rear wears more due to traction control?)

Car has had 4 owners. 2yr warranty, set of new PS4S fitted all round.

Worrying things are, it has no lift but Ferrari advice is should be fine as the 458 sits higher than competing cars such as Huracan and GT3.


Well priced, or should I be pushing for lower, lastly should black be avoided or is it a good colour or should I stick with classic red or go more daring and get a yellow one.......

Can you get a clutch wear report on 458 or was that only on the older F1 gear boxes?
Is this car at Stratstone Manchester? Its been unsold for over 8 months now - fk knows why!

Gibbo205

Original Poster:

2,172 posts

145 months

Monday 11th February
quotequote all
W4NTED said:
Is this car at Stratstone Manchester? Its been unsold for over 8 months now - fk knows why!
Yep that is it, that is good for thought. Has it always been up at 139k, maybe just asking too much?
It seemed to drive fine.

Gibbo205

Original Poster:

2,172 posts

145 months

Monday 11th February
quotequote all
Taffy66 said:
I bought a 458 Italia just before Xmas.Its a late 2011 car in Grigio Silverstone and Nero roof and mirrors with 17K miles..I did about a year's research to find my ideal spec as they vary enormously..The standard stereo is awful so the JBL Hi-Fi is very desirable IMO..Its also a wide car so the optional folding mirrors are essential and to a lesser extent the Photochromatic mirrors which can be switched off.
Make sure its got the Alcantara/leather headlining as the standard fabric looks less than classy..
The 458 underwent a software and suspension upgrade about the same time the 7 year free service plan was introduced which was sometime middle 2011..Cars after this date are more sought after and should command a premium.
Nero Daytona was one of the most common colours on the 458 which should mean a bigger choice although they seem to sell for less money compared to Red or GS.
Good to know.
This is a 2011 car, but I think it is before the change as sales guy informed me its running the older ECU or engine tune as its very noticeable from a noise perspective being quite a bit louder and more pops/gurgles on over run, he said in 2012 onward they tamed that down a little.

Also said 2012 newer had different brake setup as i commented on long pedal and he said in 2012 onwards they made them feel more assisted.

Would be good to know more about the suspension upgrade though, what was changed?

Taffy66

1,948 posts

40 months

Monday 11th February
quotequote all
I was under the impression that these software updates coincided with the introduction of the 7 year service plan..However i'm not 100% on this and i should check on mine..Mine is 10/11 registered and doesn't seem to have the pops from the exhaust which was present on earlier cars..
The suspension changes i believe involve both software and hardware changes..It apparently resulted in making the 458 less spiky on the limit in terms of snap oversteer.I hope a more knowledgeable owner than myself will clarify this as i'm as interested in this as you are.

W4NTED

422 posts

152 months

Monday 11th February
quotequote all
Gibbo205 said:
W4NTED said:
Is this car at Stratstone Manchester? Its been unsold for over 8 months now - fk knows why!
Yep that is it, that is good for thought. Has it always been up at 139k, maybe just asking too much?
It seemed to drive fine.
I doubt the price alone would have kept that car unsold as many came and went in this price bracket in the same time. Has to be something deeper! Tread carefully.

garystoybox

145 posts

55 months

Monday 11th February
quotequote all
Taffy66 said:
I was under the impression that these software updates coincided with the introduction of the 7 year service plan..However i'm not 100% on this and i should check on mine..Mine is 10/11 registered and doesn't seem to have the pops from the exhaust which was present on earlier cars..

The suspension changes i believe involve both software and hardware changes..It apparently resulted in making the 458 less spiky on the limit in terms of snap oversteer.I hope a more knowledgeable owner than myself will clarify this as i'm as interested in this as you are.
The Stratstone black car seems a decent but basic spec car, to be fair it’s probably just that black to many just doesn’t show the shape/curves as well as other colours imo. Also lack of interior carbon other than wheel. No mention of leather headlining- standard very cheap looking. No lift, but you don’t need it anyway. From memory (having owned both pre and post upgraded cars) pre Feb 2012 cars had standard electric steering wheel adjustment and I think folding mirrors as standard - whereas need to spec optional mirrors on newer cars to get this feature. Missing front and rear (especially) parking sensors a pain if using daily. Having had both, I wouldn’t worry about the standard stereo, the JBL in mine was equally woeful!

The Feb 2012 cars onwards had both hardware and software updates, some but not all of which can be retrofitted to earlier cars at a cost of a few £k. This was a reaction to the Mclaren launch and led to more sensors to marginally improve handling (you would never tell unless at 10/10`s back to back on track). Ride was slightly softened in Sport model; gearbox software changed to be quicker and smoother in all modes (earlier cars engineered to give more of a aritificial thump in the back in race mode). I found my 2011 car to be a pita to hold at a steady smooth speed on the motorway... the throttle twitchinees in all modes (even wet) should never have been signed off. This seemed to improve by 50% in upgraded cars but still a pain! As mentioned already, earlier cars have more overrun pops in race mode... but imo this just sounds a bit manufactured and embarrassing when tootling around in a 30 zone.
If a weekend toy i’d definitely consider an earlier car at the right price, but if putting on a few more miles then I think an upgraded later car is better for the extra £8-10k it might cost.

Enjoy your shopping and get one bought sharpish, great car the 458!

Edited by garystoybox on Monday 11th February 23:54

Taffy66

1,948 posts

40 months

Monday 11th February
quotequote all
garystoybox said:
The Stratstone black car seems a decent but basic spec car, to be fair it’s probably just that black to many just doesn’t show the shape/curves as well as other colours imo. Also lack of interior carbon other than wheel. No mention of leather headlining- standard very cheap looking. No lift, but you don’t need it anyway. From memory (having owned both pre and post upgraded cars) Feb 2012 cars onwards had standard electric steering wheel adjustment and I think folding mirrors as standard - whereas need to spec optional mirrors on newer cars to get this feature. Missing front and rear (especially) parking sensors a pain if using daily. Having had both, I wouldn’t worry about the standard stereo, the JBL in mine was equally woeful!

The Feb 2012 cars onwards had both hardware and software updates, some but not all of which can be retrofitted to earlier cars at a cost of a few £k. This was a reaction to the Mclaren launch and led to more sensors to marginally improve handling (you would never tell unless at 10/10`s back to back on track). Ride was slightly softened in Sport model; gearbox software changed to be quicker and smoother in all modes (earlier cars engineered to give more of a aritificial thump in the back in race mode). I found my 2011 car to be a pita to hold at a steady smooth speed on the motorway... the throttle twitchinees in all modes (even wet) should never have been signed off. This seemed to improve by 50% in upgraded cars but still a pain! As mentioned already, earlier cars have more overrun pops in race mode... but imo this just sounds a bit manufactured and embarrassing when tootling around in a 30 zone.
If a weekend toy i’d definitely consider an earlier car at the right price, but if putting on a few more miles then I think an upgraded later car is better for the extra £8-10k it might cost.

Enjoy your shopping and get one bought sharpish, great car the 458!
That's great info and just what i was after..My October 2011 458 has both the electric steering column adjustment and folding mirrors which makes me believe it was amongst the first updated cars..It also lacks the exhaust overrun pops.It might have had the software updates done at a later date however..
I find the folding mirrors and F/R parking sensors very useful on mine and wouldn't buy a 458 without them.
I agree the black Manchester 458 is pretty basic unless they omitted to mention some of the aforementioned 'nice to have' options. MIne has both the Carbon fiber rear splitter and front spoiler which are very nice..Luckily it also has every CF option inside including the door sills.
If this black one has the standard roof lining then it would hinder resale IMO.

Taaaaang

4,321 posts

124 months

Tuesday 12th February
quotequote all
Mine doesn't have nose lift.

I drive it daily in a city with some monster "road calming" measures and in and out of ridiculously designed car parks. Never had a single problem.

Potholes are the enemy, not speed bumps.

MrVert

2,860 posts

177 months

Tuesday 12th February
quotequote all
garystoybox said:
Surprised that people think prices have softened; they most definitely haven’t for Rosso Corsa cars with black interiors. I sold my 2012, 14k with standard full electric seats, no carbon (apart from the wheel) back to main dealer end December for £133k. They sold the car within 4 days for £147k. Black, yellow, Grigio, Scuderia are in significantly less demand and priced accordingly.
If anything prices have firmed and there are very few 2012 onwards Rosso cars on the market.
Since I sold, I've kept a keen eye on prices of 458's & other supercars, things are definitely on a downward trend. Same for top end houses etc etc, everything is either down a bit or very slow to move. I agree with you in that 458's seem more robust than many similar cars out there, because they're just such great cars. However the current financial climate worries do mean deals are more within reach than 12 months ago.

Out of interest, did you trade in for another car? I've found Ferrari do give you a decent bid to get the next car sold as part of the deal. I think they bid you very fairly.