Anyone know this car?

Anyone know this car?

Author
Discussion

isaldiri

4,496 posts

109 months

Tuesday 14th May
quotequote all
fridaypassion said:
Yeah the pace is just on another level in the 570 I'd be surprised if 20mph was all the difference maybe plus VAT!

Yes it's a tempting proposition the 570 I see a lot of parallels with McLaren and Lotus. Punchy pricing. Not the obvious choice in their given markets etc. I have a feeling that McLarens will bed in over the coming years they certainly have a good product in the 570. Confidence will grow if they look after people on warranty issues. Kind of the opposite to what Porsche are doing right now.

I have to say for all the reading up and YouTube videos my hesitation is no reflection on any doubts over McLaren and how they are making things and treating customers. I suspect I'll end up in one I don't think I'll be able to resist it but it will be when the right car turns up.

Plan C is getting the 460 and final drive mods done on the Evora. 100bhp less but no lag.... could be interesting.
get the gearbox linkage upgraded if not already done and the ohlins ttx on the evora imo. That'd make a bigger difference than power increase. I've been in a evora 430 with the ohlins and the car was almost spookily good. The Mclaren does a lot of things very well but it will not imo be a better driving/handling car than the Lotus.

fridaypassion

Original Poster:

4,438 posts

169 months

Wednesday 15th May
quotequote all
isaldiri said:
fridaypassion said:
Yeah the pace is just on another level in the 570 I'd be surprised if 20mph was all the difference maybe plus VAT!

Yes it's a tempting proposition the 570 I see a lot of parallels with McLaren and Lotus. Punchy pricing. Not the obvious choice in their given markets etc. I have a feeling that McLarens will bed in over the coming years they certainly have a good product in the 570. Confidence will grow if they look after people on warranty issues. Kind of the opposite to what Porsche are doing right now.

I have to say for all the reading up and YouTube videos my hesitation is no reflection on any doubts over McLaren and how they are making things and treating customers. I suspect I'll end up in one I don't think I'll be able to resist it but it will be when the right car turns up.

Plan C is getting the 460 and final drive mods done on the Evora. 100bhp less but no lag.... could be interesting.
get the gearbox linkage upgraded if not already done and the ohlins ttx on the evora imo. That'd make a bigger difference than power increase. I've been in a evora 430 with the ohlins and the car was almost spookily good. The Mclaren does a lot of things very well but it will not imo be a better driving/handling car than the Lotus.
Yeah that might be something to look at Ohlins are always good news. I do quite like the standard setuo though its certainly what i would call firm but fair.

Sarnie yes I did indeed buy your Cayman. Looks like another visit may be in order! I literally emailed my contact at Leeds to look out fir a ventura or green one.

I'd be interested to know details on yours. MSO = £££ though right? biggrin

Sarnie

6,046 posts

150 months

Wednesday 15th May
quotequote all
fridaypassion said:
Yeah that might be something to look at Ohlins are always good news. I do quite like the standard setuo though its certainly what i would call firm but fair.

Sarnie yes I did indeed buy your Cayman. Looks like another visit may be in order! I literally emailed my contact at Leeds to look out fir a ventura or green one.

I'd be interested to know details on yours. MSO = £££ though right? biggrin
MSO = Money Saving Option

laughlaugh

Drop me a line! smile

nw942

260 posts

46 months

Wednesday 15th May
quotequote all
Rocketreid said:
fridaypassion said:
So I had a good run in one courtesy of MacLeeds. The performance is truly staggering very impressive. I was surprised how much turbo lag there was I guess you would kind of drive around that. Its just the initial spool up the actual boost is very well managed.

I loved everything about the car (570s spider) it's just the steering for me that isn't quite there. I am spoilt with the Lotus the steering is something they should really be selling to McLaren!

I'm in perculation mode at the moment. I'm not a straightliner type really so the tactility is more important for me and the chassis and ride of the 570 are very very good. Steering is a touch too light and im not sure there's that much detail there.

I am fussy I know. I drove a GT4 and was a bit neutral on that as well. Lotus make a truly underrated and unappreciated product in the 4XX series of Evoras and all for the price of furst year depreciation on some of the Maccas.

Might do another year in the 410. Might sell it and look to get a good circa 100k 570 Ideally from the Leeds dealership. Those are the two options at the moment. I think 2 years in a 570 might see me to the next gen Lotus cars. That will be an interesting fight if they ever get their plans into action.

Too much choice these days! I do like stuff that's bang for buck though and the 570 at the real used and pre reg new prices are unbeatable for the performance you get. Anyone selling A ventura orange one call me!
They are very different cars.

I often drive my Exige Cup 430 which admittedly is a bit more hardcore than the Evora back to back and even on track. The McLaren is very grown up and just less frantic and faster although it hasn’t got the pure ness of the Lotus.

What I think is the Evora is closer to a McLaren than many people realise in handling terms although it lacks the extra grunt and on a track like Silverstone is 20 mph slower on the straights.
Timely thread for me as I was going to change my Exige V6 for a 430. But clearly the Evora GT430 and 570 are in the mix too.

I drove an Exige 410 and Evora GT410 at Hethel a short time ago. The Exige just felt like a faster version of what I have so a 430 will be another step up again. In comparison the Evora felt very soft and the steering was very light - note that I had just got out of the Exige so perhaps a bit unfair on the Evora.

Does a Evora GT430 feel a lot different to the 410?
Does a 570 feel closer to an Evora or an Exige?

On the subject of steering was the 570 similar to your Cayman R? Did it improve when you started pushing on a bit?

Clearly I need to go and take some test drives, but just interested in people's views.


Edited by nw942 on Wednesday 15th May 12:37


Edited by nw942 on Wednesday 15th May 12:39

fridaypassion

Original Poster:

4,438 posts

169 months

Wednesday 15th May
quotequote all
Exige V6 steering is very heavy. Obviously being unassisted and with the track width and tyres size/type they use they are I personally think past the point where they would actually benefit from having power assistance.

The GT430 is essentially the same as a GT410 or in my case a Sport 410. It has a wing and some expensive Ohlins dampers that's literally it. The regular 400 is the real steal of the range as none of the Evora range is really a damper swap away from eachother. The Sport 410/GT cars get the carbon which is a nice touch and makes it feel a bit more premium.

The steering on the 570 is significantly lighter than the Evora. The Lotus is fully hydraulic whereas I believe the 570 is hydraulic but does have some degree of electrical assistance too?

The Cayman R was like whewn you pushed on the steering became less communicative. Odd as my old S was superb on the steering. GT4 I find a bit on the vague side again the faster you are going the less feedback you seem to get. Why can't anyone make proper steering I don't understand!

Edited by fridaypassion on Wednesday 15th May 17:03

Advertisement

isaldiri

4,496 posts

109 months

Wednesday 15th May
quotequote all
fridaypassion said:
The Lotus is fully hydraulic whereas I believe the 570 is hydraulic but does have some degree of electrical assistance too?
Mclaren's power steering is hydraulic assistance with the fluid driven by an electric pump rather than by the engine. It's not really getting any electric assistance at all.

fridaypassion

Original Poster:

4,438 posts

169 months

Wednesday 15th May
quotequote all
isaldiri said:
Mclaren's power steering is hydraulic assistance with the fluid driven by an electric pump rather than by the engine. It's not really getting any electric assistance at all.
Interesting thanks for the clarification. I wasn't sure on the term "electro hydraulic"