LMC18 - Parade Laps - Helmets?

LMC18 - Parade Laps - Helmets?

Author
Discussion

TimLambert7

Original Poster:

574 posts

53 months

Thursday 14th December 2017
quotequote all
Hi all,

I went to the 2016 LMC and did the parade lap and loved it. Went ahead and booked my car plus 2 friends car's for the 2018 parade laps only to be told:

'Oh and by the way, all drivers and passengers will require a crash helmet.'

This has come from 1st Tickets who are doing club bookings for PH.

Must be new for this year. Anyone know anything about it? Is it real; open/closed face, etc. It came as a shock to me as I don't own a helmet and neither do the other 2.

Thanks in advance

dig123

323 posts

44 months

Thursday 21st December 2017
quotequote all
I have a lid for myself but not passenger. Be interesting to see what they do, are they going to check you have a current lid FIA approved or do they not care?

RickRob

42 posts

41 months

Thursday 21st December 2017
quotequote all
I would expect the level of enforcement of that rule will depend on whether the car is British or French!

jonby

4,737 posts

85 months

Friday 22nd December 2017
quotequote all
RickRob said:
I would expect the level of enforcement of that rule will depend on whether the car is British or French!
where it's made or where it's registered ? :-)

ToxicEliseLeMans

14 posts

64 months

Sunday 24th December 2017
quotequote all

Nothing is required at LE MANS CLASSIC for Parade or VIP laps : no helmet, no FIA lid. It is not considered as trackday.

Happy Christmas from France
Advertisement

allojon

282 posts

119 months

Sunday 24th December 2017
quotequote all
With what authority do you have to publicly announce this?

The organisers, Peter Auto, state quite clearly, and even highlighted in red on the booking form, :-
'Le port du casque est obligatoire.
Wearing a helmet is mandatory.'

ToxicEliseLeMans

14 posts

64 months

Tuesday 26th December 2017
quotequote all

Please no misunderstanding. Cars of official "Parade" ( Youtube : Le Mans Classic 2016 - Parade BMW 1, 2, 3 ) and "VIP" ( Youtube : Le Mans, grand circuit Lotus Exige S2 - Youtube : Le mans classic 2016 Tour VIP club lotus france ) are without helmet.

Other session are with helmet.



Longers

4,338 posts

156 months

Saturday 30th December 2017
quotequote all
ToxicEliseLeMans said:
Please no misunderstanding. Cars of official "Parade" ( Youtube : Le Mans Classic 2016 - Parade BMW 1, 2, 3 ) and "VIP" ( Youtube : Le Mans, grand circuit Lotus Exige S2 - Youtube : Le mans classic 2016 Tour VIP club lotus france ) are without helmet.
Helmets were not mandatory at the Le Mans Classic in 2016 but they will be in 2018.

This year was the first that the organisers insisted on helmets being worn for anyone going onto the circuit at any of their events.

At the Spa Classic in May I was asked to provide 10 cars to take a group of VIPs round the track for a couple of laps. EVERY VIP of the 20 we took was given a helmet.

dig123 said:
I have a lid for myself but not passenger. Be interesting to see what they do, are they going to check you have a current lid FIA approved or do they not care?
No helmet = no passenger. They will not check the quality of the helmet because it's impossible with such a large numbers taking part (it is up to each person to assess the quality of their head I suppose!) but they will stop you if anyone in the car is not wearing one.

Cheers,
L'rs

TimLambert7

Original Poster:

574 posts

53 months

Friday 5th January
quotequote all
Longers said:
ToxicEliseLeMans said:
Please no misunderstanding. Cars of official "Parade" ( Youtube : Le Mans Classic 2016 - Parade BMW 1, 2, 3 ) and "VIP" ( Youtube : Le Mans, grand circuit Lotus Exige S2 - Youtube : Le mans classic 2016 Tour VIP club lotus france ) are without helmet.
Helmets were not mandatory at the Le Mans Classic in 2016 but they will be in 2018.

This year was the first that the organisers insisted on helmets being worn for anyone going onto the circuit at any of their events.

At the Spa Classic in May I was asked to provide 10 cars to take a group of VIPs round the track for a couple of laps. EVERY VIP of the 20 we took was given a helmet.

dig123 said:
I have a lid for myself but not passenger. Be interesting to see what they do, are they going to check you have a current lid FIA approved or do they not care?
No helmet = no passenger. They will not check the quality of the helmet because it's impossible with such a large numbers taking part (it is up to each person to assess the quality of their head I suppose!) but they will stop you if anyone in the car is not wearing one.

Cheers,
L'rs
Thanks for confirming this.

Are there any rules or guidance on the type of helmet (open/closed) or particular certification it needs?

Cheers

Longers

4,338 posts

156 months

Friday 5th January
quotequote all
The helmets are not checked and, unlike a formal trackday, it does not matter if it is closed or open faced. The only requirement is that all drivers and passengers wear a helmet.

However I think a cycle helmet might be pushing things a bit far... hehe