Race the Sun 2019

Author
Discussion

Johner

Original Poster:

29 posts

24 months

Sunday 3rd March
quotequote all
Anyone thinking about 'raceing the sun' this year?

Leave Lands End at sunset and get to Ness Point in Lowestoft before sunrise
June 21st is a Friday, so, if previous years are anything to go by, there will be some doing it Friday and some over the weekend.

It's a good couple of days, tiring and about 900 miles (for me), but great fun

I'm planning to do it again, maybe with SWMBO this year.

John

superchargedctr

240 posts

103 months

Sunday 3rd March
quotequote all
I could be up for this, any plans where/when to meet?

Edited by superchargedctr on Monday 4th March 00:28

Johner

Original Poster:

29 posts

24 months

Monday 4th March
quotequote all
Last year, we met up in the car park at Lands End

Cost is £5 (or was it £7? I wish my memory worked) if you arrive before 17.00hr, it's free after that.

If there are enough people interested here, a list can be generated, otherwise, just add a post to say you'll be there.

John

Zilla

3 posts

44 months

Friday 8th March
quotequote all
Yup., Thinking about doing it this year. Normally on a Euro road trip on that date but for once I'm free.

Might stay local(ish) the night before to maximize sleep.

Johner

Original Poster:

29 posts

24 months

Friday 8th March
quotequote all
Zilla said:
Yup., Thinking about doing it this year. Normally on a Euro road trip on that date but for once I'm free.

Might stay local(ish) the night before to maximize sleep.
We did just that last year, travelled via Plymouth and had a lazy drive down to LE on the 21st

John
Advertisement

Johner

Original Poster:

29 posts

24 months

Friday 8th March
quotequote all
There's plenty of time yet, but, if we get 5 or 6 interested forumites, I'll get a list started here.

Note
We booked our accomodation in Plymouth early ( April, I think) it was not a problem.
If you plan to stay within 30 or so miles of LE, booking earlier than that was the advice received last year

John

ToooomStuff

18 posts

60 months

Tuesday 14th May
quotequote all
Contemplating this.
Have looked into doing this a few time in the past but never found someone stupid enough to join!
Always been put off with driving the entire distance in one on my own however, last year I drove from Newquay to near Brighton overnight with only 2 pee stops on the hard shoulder after no sleep.
So it doesn’t seem quite as daunting as before.
My Mini can do about 300 to a tank motorway driving so would only need one stop about m25 area. Definitely more achievable than I previously thought!

No ideas for a name

421 posts

27 months

Wednesday 15th May
quotequote all
I had sort of decided not to do it this year, but oddly found myself checking this forum tonight... just to see what might be happening.

Now not sure - a really good run. Might not be the same without 'mad' Dave giving a motorcycle escort through Suffolk!
John, were you in the Porsche last year?


No ideas for a name

421 posts

27 months

Wednesday 15th May
quotequote all
Johner said:
Last year, we met up in the car park at Lands End

Cost is £5 (or was it £7? I wish my memory worked) if you arrive before 17.00hr, it's free after that.
Close...

Don't ask why I still have the parking ticket.

Johner

Original Poster:

29 posts

24 months

Wednesday 15th May
quotequote all
No ideas for a name said:
I had sort of decided not to do it this year, but oddly found myself checking this forum tonight... just to see what might be happening.

Now not sure - a really good run. Might not be the same without 'mad' Dave giving a motorcycle escort through Suffolk!
John, were you in the Porsche last year?
Yes, the Boxster
Binned that a couple of months ago, now have an SL500

John

Johner

Original Poster:

29 posts

24 months

Wednesday 15th May
quotequote all
No ideas for a name said:
Close...

Don't ask why I still have the parking ticket.
I won't ask, I may not like the answer . . . . .it's the sort of randomness I suffer from

John

Johner

Original Poster:

29 posts

24 months

Saturday
quotequote all
Well
The good news is, I've now received definitive details of our June itinerary from SWMBO.

It is our wedding anniversary on the 16th June.
This year, we are going away to celebrate, getting home late on the 19th.

As a result, I won't be doing the run this year.

Good luck to everyone who decides to have a go.

John