Quiet one this year?

Quiet one this year?

Author
Discussion

stubert_

7 posts

24 months

Wednesday 15th May
quotequote all
I haven't been for a couple of years now so I am really looking forward to my 7th Le Mans. Our group was always small ranging from 5 down to 2 over the years. 3 of us going this year so about average for us.
As other people have said lets hope the knobheads are the ones staying at home this year.

SimoN138

184 posts

173 months

Wednesday 15th May
quotequote all
18 years on the bounce for me and going on my tod again this year. started in big groups but now enjoy 4 days of solitude with racing and beer (heaven!).

over the years there have been great battles up and down the classes ... i don't think there has ever been a race which could be described as 'boring' ... and this year will hopefully be the same (as long as you accept top two steps might be #7 and #8) ... it would be ace to see an LMP2 get third, but i don't think the ACO will let them get that close on pace to even a limping non-HY P1.

a few less people might not be a bad thing for traffic and toilet queues ... maybe some have been put off by the escalating cost (€9 for a beer!) ... and some by the 'super' season silliness ... it's their loss imo.

29 days 'till departure and counting ... smile

//j17

3,174 posts

164 months

Wednesday 15th May
quotequote all
SimoN138 said:
it would be ace to see an LMP2 get third, but i don't think the ACO will let them get that close on pace to even a limping non-HY P1.
I was think more from, umm, 'natural attrition' and 'scenic detours' than from outright pace. Still a little dissapointed we didn't have JCDC #38 on the top step back in 2017 - though I do grudgingly accept it was an impressive fight-back by Porsche #2.

chasingracecars

1,463 posts

38 months

Wednesday 15th May
quotequote all
//j17 said:
I was think more from, umm, 'natural attrition' and 'scenic detours' than from outright pace. Still a little dissapointed we didn't have JCDC #38 on the top step back in 2017 - though I do grudgingly accept it was an impressive fight-back by Porsche #2.
This just beat me to it. Soo close to an LMP win but a mighty comeback!

cn7k7

19 posts

85 months

Wednesday 15th May
quotequote all
I thought last year felt quieter until the start! I think the die hard always turn up, my first year was 1981.

The numbers in groups certainly go up and down....this year we are 8, biggest Year was 2010 with 26, the ones that always attend love endurance racing and then you have others coming to have a look or just a boys weekend.

Without Kristensen the Danish continent diminished. 1988 - 1990 had huge UK presence with Jag and the French come out if it’s sunny but don’t buy grandstand tickets.

I do think beer costs have put people off from the ‘village’ and tend to drink more back at the campsites or off site.....we certainly do, only bought one Guinness last year! The other element is shocking food quality and pricing, again back at campsite or off site.

I do think the uncertainty around Brexit has put some people off during the typical booking season of the summer and autumn before, I ended up getting a green card and international drivers permit just in case.

It’s seems cyclical but enjoy whilst we still have petrol because without that noise I won’t be going

See you all in a few weeks
Advertisement
Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
Last year was my first Le Mans and I did it solo. This year I'm returning with a friend so my 'group' has doubled in size! Can't wait!!

Toyota will obviously be 1 and 2 barring a major mechanical problem or crash. I can see why that might put some people off the idea of attending but the race still has enough interest for me in the other (3 or 4!) classes... Rebellion v SMP... 20 car LMP2 scrap... Porsche v Ferrari v Ford v BMW v Corvette v Aston Martin... and as certain as things seem to be you just never know what's going to happen! A downpour could wipe out a quarter of the field, the Toyotas might get assulted by an AM Ferrari, a mechanic might forget to tighten a wheel nut, a tyre could go pop on the Mulsanne... Toyota didn't manage a 1-2 in the last round of the WEC afterall!

Whatever happens will be awesome, and the trip is about so much more than just the race.

Storer

4,929 posts

156 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
HangarStraight said:
Whatever happens will be awesome, and the trip is about so much more than just the race.
As much as I enjoy the racing, LeMans is about way more!

I will really miss it this year ☹️

delta0

1,122 posts

47 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
HangarStraight said:
Last year was my first Le Mans and I did it solo. This year I'm returning with a friend so my 'group' has doubled in size! Can't wait!!

Toyota will obviously be 1 and 2 barring a major mechanical problem or crash. I can see why that might put some people off the idea of attending but the race still has enough interest for me in the other (3 or 4!) classes... Rebellion v SMP... 20 car LMP2 scrap... Porsche v Ferrari v Ford v BMW v Corvette v Aston Martin... and as certain as things seem to be you just never know what's going to happen! A downpour could wipe out a quarter of the field, the Toyotas might get assulted by an AM Ferrari, a mechanic might forget to tighten a wheel nut, a tyre could go pop on the Mulsanne... Toyota didn't manage a 1-2 in the last round of the WEC afterall!

Whatever happens will be awesome, and the trip is about so much more than just the race.
You sound like someone that has been going to Le Mans for a decade. So true Toyota could easily be wiped out and there is so much more happening with the other groups. I love how this race is 4 groups in 1.

chopper602

1,489 posts

164 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
I've never been to 'Le Mans' although I have been to other 24 hour races, can't see the appeal of this one. I *do* fancy the Nurburgring 24 hour race though as I have been to the 'ring plenty of times before - wonder if the German event is taking away some of the usual French customers?

(I find Germany generally cheaper and cleaner than France)
delta0 said:
You sound like someone that has been going to Le Mans for a decade.
Well I've been following the race for a while, even though last year was my 'debut' at the event itself.... and ever since I've been counting down the days until this year's race! I'm taking along a friend who has never been before, but has always wanted to go. As much as I loved doing it solo last year I cannot wait to share the experience this time... watching and hearing the cars scream through Indianapolis and into Arnage surrounded by trees as the light fades... just magical.

I'm sure everyone has their own personal reasons why going to Le Mans is special for them - I definitely have mine - and I doubt very much that any two people's experiences will be exactly the same!

lowdrag

9,553 posts

154 months

My first event was when Jackie Ickx in the GT40 beat the Porche 908 by 100 metres, so that shows you how far back I go! But though I live but 5 miles from Mulsanne bend I shan't be going, except perhaps to the golf club and watch from the roof of the club house on Saturday night. I have resigned my press passes because it is getting more and more difficult to find great places for photography; Mulsanne is a no-go area now because it is "too dangerous". The entry to Indianapolis has also been declared a no-go area and they have extended the red paint on the inside of the barriers everywhere. In fact, the only reason I'll go will be to see the GT class. It is the only decent racing left. And I can watch it far better at the Casque restaurant (try it sometime) supping a beer and eating a meal in comfort while sitting in the courtyard watching the ginormous screen. Or at home.

wsn03

574 posts

42 months

HangarStraight said:
I'm sure everyone has their own personal reasons why going to Le Mans is special for them - I definitely have mine - and I doubt very much that any two people's experiences will be exactly the same!
Excuse for 5 days away from the family...in France...with great sounding cars...what's not to love?