BMW Z3 with Ferrari 250 SWB kit

BMW Z3 with Ferrari 250 SWB kit

Author
Discussion

kiseca

8,581 posts

180 months

Friday 1st May 2015
quotequote all
Certainly better, possibly faster depending what engine it has, but it won't sound as good and I'd expect the 250's steering to be far more communicative, and those are the kinds of things that make a difference when you aren't exploiting the acceleration, grip and braking advantages.

remkingston

472 posts

108 months

Friday 1st May 2015
quotequote all
So say a friend wanted one turn key. Where would I send my friend to?

sc0tt

17,170 posts

162 months

Friday 1st May 2015
quotequote all
remkingston said:
So say a friend wanted one turn key. Where would I send my friend to?
http://www.bmwpoweredkitcars.com/250SWB-kit/

GTRene

Original Poster:

11,863 posts

185 months

Sunday 3rd May 2015
quotequote all
they already made it better I saw, see new pictures (also changed in startpost), way better>>













put some classic style steering wheel in it and some wooden shift knob and maybe some classic sportseats
and you have a nice classic style looking car based on a reliable Z3 roadster.


DonkeyApple

39,418 posts

130 months

Sunday 3rd May 2015
quotequote all
It's the point at which those badges are added that for me the thing becomes ridiculous and the owners very sad.

Without any of the badges I think it's a good looking kit and a fun thing to do to an old, generic z3. Adding the badges instantly turns it into a figure of complete ridicule.

GTRene

Original Poster:

11,863 posts

185 months

Sunday 3rd May 2015
quotequote all
badges you don't have to take, or you can take them of, those are not such 'problem' (for some)
I would also change simple bits in the interior, like the steering wheel and shift knob and handbrake lever and the seats, to give it an even more classic feel.

you could even go crazy and do a V8 conversion or even a v12, but then it gets a bit nose heavy, but it fits if you want, even BMW made a (one) V12 Z3 ;-)
then take all the intake stuff of and put some carburators on? but thats a bit 'crazy' I guess biggrin



original it seems to look a bit like this>






OwenK

3,132 posts

156 months

Sunday 3rd May 2015
quotequote all
GTRene said:
they already made it better I saw, see new pictures (also changed in startpost), way better>>

That looks great fun! I'd have it. I've been thinking wistfully of classic cars lately and love the look but don't fancy mucking about with keeping them going. You're all being a bunch of pansies complaining about badges and stuff. The badges are part of the aesthetic and these things look oddly blank without them. (Maybe someone could make up a shiny chrome animal badge that looks right from a distance but up close it's a parody rather than an actual prancing horse, perhaps a prancing goat)
Look forward to seeing it finished.

e21Mark

14,318 posts

134 months

Sunday 3rd May 2015
quotequote all
As a way of building a fun car, from a cheap and readily available base car, I think it's great. As a supposed replica of an iconic Ferrari, I think it's pretty poor. The interior just doesn't work, let alone the styling issues with the body. I'd have one with BMW badges and an e39 M5's V8 though.

normalbloke

4,234 posts

180 months

Sunday 3rd May 2015
quotequote all
What are the legalities of building this and registering it? Does it fall into BIVA territory as technically( assuming the. Z3 IS monocoque based) it's falling foul of the 8 point debacle?

daytona365

1,773 posts

125 months

Monday 4th May 2015
quotequote all
Interesting idea, but sorely let down by THAT interior.

balls-out

3,045 posts

192 months

Monday 4th May 2015
quotequote all
Matt UK said:
With BMW roundels front and rear, that could look like smart. Just avoid sticking the prancing horse badges on...
What he said. BMW kit car "inspired by a classic Ferrari". I could like that very much.

EskimoArapaho

5,092 posts

96 months

Monday 4th May 2015
quotequote all
I quite like it. A bit of creative thought on a retro interior would make it perfect.

pingu393

4,295 posts

166 months

Monday 4th May 2015
quotequote all
DonkeyApple said:
It's the point at which those badges are added that for me the thing becomes ridiculous and the owners very sad.

Without any of the badges I think it's a good looking kit and a fun thing to do to an old, generic z3. Adding the badges instantly turns it into a figure of complete ridicule.
I agree with this. It is NOT a Ferrari, so it shouldn't have a Ferrari badge. It's one stage further down the "driver is a wker" path than putting an M badge on a 320d.

I've looked at the website and if it translated properly looks like they want 11,000 Euros + a donor car. It doesn't say whether you get the old panels and roof back. If so, you could probably offset £2,000. You might be able to get one for £6500 + a donor car.

It's a shame that the M Roadster is getting to be so valuable, as that would be my donor of choice. I couldn't justify making a kit car out of something that is not cheap-as-chips to start with.

R8Steve

4,150 posts

136 months

Monday 4th May 2015
quotequote all
daytona365 said:
Interesting idea, but sorely let down by THAT interior.
Agreed, that interior really lets it down. Not helped by the ferrari badge stuck over the BMW one on the steering wheel hurl

saaby93

27,463 posts

139 months

Monday 4th May 2015
quotequote all
normalbloke said:
What are the legalities of building this and registering it? Does it fall into BIVA territory as technically( assuming the. Z3 IS monocoque based) it's falling foul of the 8 point debacle?
Doesnt the Z3 have all bolt on external panels including the rear quarters? or do I have the wrong Beemer




Edited by saaby93 on Monday 4th May 15:15

pingu393

4,295 posts

166 months

Monday 4th May 2015
quotequote all
saaby93 said:
Doesnt the Z3 have all bolt on external panels including the rear quarters? or do I have the wrong Beemer
Yes, they are all bolt on.


saaby93

27,463 posts

139 months

Monday 4th May 2015
quotequote all
pingu393 said:
Yes, they are all bolt on.
The Cobra kit is reasonable too



http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tribute-Automotive-KOBRA...

£2,450 + £1,500 donor

Jayho

1,888 posts

131 months

Monday 4th May 2015
quotequote all
I rather like it. Echoing what everyone else is saying, it's a really beautiful tribute, but really dislike the fact it's all badged up. I'd much rather if it kept a soft top too, a bit of convertible fun, yes please. In a nice piano black or a "Eleanor grey" would be lovely. With a Nice "TT'es Mk1 1 Baseball glove style tan Interior would do me fine. Maybe side panels to make use of the original Z3 gills at the side too.

normalbloke

4,234 posts

180 months

Monday 4th May 2015
quotequote all
saaby93 said:
normalbloke said:
What are the legalities of building this and registering it? Does it fall into BIVA territory as technically( assuming the. Z3 IS monocoque based) it's falling foul of the 8 point debacle?
Doesnt the Z3 have all bolt on external panels including the rear quarters? or do I have the wrong Beemer




Edited by saaby93 on Monday 4th May 15:15
Thanks for that, I wasn't aware. Easy peasy then, although that's a Z1.

pingu393

4,295 posts

166 months

Monday 4th May 2015
quotequote all
A little vid I've just made to show how easy it is to do the panels on a Z3...

https://youtu.be/78LH6rRhSII