Formula E 2018/19

Formula E 2018/19

Author
Discussion

ajprice

Original Poster:

16,325 posts

140 months

Tuesday 13th November 2018
quotequote all
First race is December 15th, it's been announced that BBC will have live coverage online/red button/iPlayer, and something on a BBC channel too. This is as well as the live races being shown on Youtube. Whether they take the world feed or have their own coverage and presenters is all TBC.

https://www.autosport.com/fe/news/140014/bbc-to-sc...

telecat

8,505 posts

185 months

Tuesday 13th November 2018
quotequote all
Just shows the lack of interest really. No Pay TV platform is interested and the FTA channels don't reckon they'll get enough viewers.

Kraken

1,072 posts

144 months

Tuesday 13th November 2018
quotequote all
Not really. What other new motorsport series is there that gets mainstream coverage? All of those that do have been around for decades and built up an audience when the only way to watch was on traditional TV.

It's a very different world now.

telecat

8,505 posts

185 months

Tuesday 13th November 2018
quotequote all
Kraken said:
Not really. What other new motorsport series is there that gets mainstream coverage? All of those that do have been around for decades and built up an audience when the only way to watch was on traditional TV.

It's a very different world now.
It is but this started on ITV, went to ITV2 and ITV4 then Channel 5 and then Spike5 and they all ditched it. It's not picked up viewers and even with manufacturers joining in and F1 known drivers it does not seem they want to watch it.

knowitall

61 posts

51 months

Tuesday 13th November 2018
quotequote all
Kraken said:
Not really. What other new motorsport series is there that gets mainstream coverage?
Formula E isnt really 'new' is it? It's going into its 5th season and well established.

Kraken

1,072 posts

144 months

Wednesday 14th November 2018
quotequote all
It's new compared to every other motorsport series that is on TV. They've all been around for decades.

I can't think of any motorsport series established in the last 20, 30 or even 40 years that has mainstream or even any terrestrial coverage in it's own right.

Mr_Thyroid

1,729 posts

171 months

Wednesday 14th November 2018
quotequote all
telecat said:
Kraken said:
Not really. What other new motorsport series is there that gets mainstream coverage? All of those that do have been around for decades and built up an audience when the only way to watch was on traditional TV.

It's a very different world now.
It is but this started on ITV, went to ITV2 and ITV4 then Channel 5 and then Spike5 and they all ditched it. It's not picked up viewers and even with manufacturers joining in and F1 known drivers it does not seem they want to watch it.
Or maybe Formula E sees the BBC as the best platform for increasing their audience. If it's on a st channel a lot of people will assume it's st. I know I'm guilty of that. I'll watch it because it's on the BBC.

Also the product has changed - Gen2 cars - faster, better looking, and no more mid-race car swaps. I'm looking forward to it.

HustleRussell

16,673 posts

104 months

Wednesday 14th November 2018
quotequote all
I'll give it a good go just like I have every season

Gen 2 cars may begin to make this a credible race series

I'm also going to have my annual Formula E moan, better tracks and fewer gimmicks please.

Gary C

5,129 posts

123 months

Wednesday 14th November 2018
quotequote all
Every time i have caught FE, its been on some st, narrow town centre track which has made the racing itself acutely boring, let alone sounding like a bed frame being pushed down a cobbled street.

Need better tracks to start with. Some noise from the motor would be nice, at least have a cooling fan howling.

AlexRS2782

5,503 posts

157 months

Wednesday 14th November 2018
quotequote all
Mr_Thyroid said:
Or maybe Formula E sees the BBC as the best platform for increasing their audience. If it's on a st channel a lot of people will assume it's st. I know I'm guilty of that. I'll watch it because it's on the BBC.

Also the product has changed - Gen2 cars - faster, better looking, and no more mid-race car swaps. I'm looking forward to it.
Yep, for me with it moving to the BBC (even if it's just online / red button based) it will be far easier to follow the races this season & know when it's on.

The last couple of years that Viacom (C5) had the coverage was dire - they barely ran any promotion / ads, so without checking the FE site or setting an alert you'd generally not even be aware when it was being broadcast, especially when sometimes it wasn't even clear which channel it was on as at times it was split between C5, 5Star & 5Spike.

FE is obviously aimed towards a younger market hence the YouTube tie-in's. I believe this season they're even using YouTube personalities & influencers for presenting duties etc. I'm certainly not in the younger age bracket that FE are aiming for / marketing at but i enjoy the racing so by adding the BBC online / RB coverage it gives them a guaranteed fixed broadcast slot in the UK market for those who aren't using YouTube, etc, so i can see why they've done it.

Edited by AlexRS2782 on Wednesday 14th November 18:34

REALIST123

11,574 posts

97 months

Thursday 15th November 2018
quotequote all
Kraken said:
It's new compared to every other motorsport series that is on TV. They've all been around for decades.

I can't think of any motorsport series established in the last 20, 30 or even 40 years that has mainstream or even any terrestrial coverage in it's own right.
Really? Caterhams, VW Cup, F Jedi. ELMS. There are a number.

Truth is that any series can get airtime if someone pays for it. Which is what FE are doing.

Graham

16,300 posts

228 months

Thursday 15th November 2018
quotequote all
telecat said:
Just shows the lack of interest really. No Pay TV platform is interested and the FTA channels don't reckon they'll get enough viewers.
Not sure about lack of interest their World wide figures are good and ahead of their own target.

Kraken

1,072 posts

144 months

Friday 16th November 2018
quotequote all
REALIST123 said:
Kraken said:
It's new compared to every other motorsport series that is on TV. They've all been around for decades.

I can't think of any motorsport series established in the last 20, 30 or even 40 years that has mainstream or even any terrestrial coverage in it's own right.
Really? Caterhams, VW Cup, F Jedi. ELMS. There are a number.

Truth is that any series can get airtime if someone pays for it. Which is what FE are doing.
Few have their own dedicated regular programming on mainstream (five channels) TV and none are shown live to my knowledge. Apples and pears.

Dark85

342 posts

92 months

Saturday 17th November 2018
quotequote all
Gary C said:
Every time i have caught FE, its been on some st, narrow town centre track which has made the racing itself acutely boring, let alone sounding like a bed frame being pushed down a cobbled street.

Need better tracks to start with. Some noise from the motor would be nice, at least have a cooling fan howling.
Are they not using the full layout Monaco this season? That should be interesting. I've not paid it too much mind in previous years but with more manufacters getting involved and no more silly mid race car swapping I'll try and give this season a fair chance.

Teddy Lop

1,492 posts

11 months

Saturday 17th November 2018
quotequote all
telecat said:
Kraken said:
Not really. What other new motorsport series is there that gets mainstream coverage? All of those that do have been around for decades and built up an audience when the only way to watch was on traditional TV.

It's a very different world now.
It is but this started on ITV, went to ITV2 and ITV4 then Channel 5 and then Spike5 and they all ditched it. It's not picked up viewers and even with manufacturers joining in and F1 known drivers it does not seem they want to watch it.
I'm surprised with some of the drunge that seemingly does draw enough people on so many of the zillions of TV channels that some live racing can't snag a few viewers. Hey I've even watched a bit myself for want of anything better to do, starting the season as the F1 closes is a shrewd move.

There's some interesting drivers this season though, and without the mickey mouse car change too I might give it a chance. Shame about the noise, sorry for the obligatory noise moan but the things remind me of ultrasonic dog/cat repellers that only teenagers and me can hear. Wasn't it steven Spielberg who said 90% of a movie was in the soundtrack?

REALIST123

11,574 posts

97 months

Saturday 17th November 2018
quotequote all
Kraken said:
REALIST123 said:
Kraken said:
It's new compared to every other motorsport series that is on TV. They've all been around for decades.

I can't think of any motorsport series established in the last 20, 30 or even 40 years that has mainstream or even any terrestrial coverage in it's own right.
Really? Caterhams, VW Cup, F Jedi. ELMS. There are a number.

Truth is that any series can get airtime if someone pays for it. Which is what FE are doing.
Few have their own dedicated regular programming on mainstream (five channels) TV and none are shown live to my knowledge. Apples and pears.
I can't think of any motorsport series established in the last 20, 30 or even 40 years that has mainstream or even any terrestrial coverage in it's own right.

Where did you say ‘live’?
Caterhams have been regularly aired on C4 in recent years, as have others.

If you want apples or pears ask for them at the beginning.

StevieBee

7,815 posts

199 months

Tuesday 20th November 2018
quotequote all
telecat said:
Just shows the lack of interest really. No Pay TV platform is interested and the FTA channels don't reckon they'll get enough viewers.
The business model of Formula E is different to F1. It guarantees manufacturers and sponsors free-to-air TV in key territories and, IIRC, does not charge the broadcasters for the rights to broadcast, though the broadcasters have to commit to a certain level of commitment in terms of airtime, promotion and resource so they still have to 'bid' for it.

Worth remembering too that F1 began in 1950 (notwithstanding the Grand Prix period before this) and took until the mid to late 80s before it enjoyed widespread and regular TV coverage, despite the efficient, technical means of coverage existing from the mid 60s.

There is growing interest in Formula E and not just in the UK. I think the mistake many traditional motor racing fans make is to consider it as a rival to F1 - which it isn't. It's just a different series in the same way WEC, BTCC, Rallying or Indy is. For those brought up on a diet of Castrol R and V8, V10s or whatever, it may not yet light any fires but with an open mind, you do find a series that's rather interesting and there has been some great racing.


kambites

57,205 posts

165 months

Tuesday 20th November 2018
quotequote all
HustleRussell said:
Gen 2 cars may begin to make this a credible race series
yes I think it's going to feel much more like a traditional single-seater racing series without the car swap, although as you say it has other problems as well. I don't think we're seeing to see them move away from Mickey Mouse street circuits, even F1 is moving towards them.

StevieBee

7,815 posts

199 months

Tuesday 20th November 2018
quotequote all
kambites said:
Mickey Mouse street circuits
As I understand it, the aim is that for the Gen3 cars, they will be able to move to traditional circuits - though think Brands Indy rather than Silverstone.

The street circuits are designed to give the impression of higher speed.

AlexRS2782

5,503 posts

157 months

Tuesday 11th December 2018
quotequote all
Thought i'd bump this as it's this weekend.

If you can't watch the race live via the BBC red button / website - Quest appear to have gained the rights to the UK highlights package and will be showing a condensed package later on the same day as the race - most likely once the EFL highlights have finished.