MSUK pulls the plug until at least the 30th April 2020

MSUK pulls the plug until at least the 30th April 2020

Author
Discussion

Drumroll

Original Poster:

2,383 posts

78 months

Tuesday 17th March
quotequote all
Well that's it until at least the end of April.

https://www.motorsportuk.org/motorsport-uk-covid-1...


ACU have also done the same.


Edited by Drumroll on Tuesday 17th March 14:34

LucyP

422 posts

17 months

Tuesday 17th March
quotequote all
End of May in Scotland, say the Scottish ACU.

LucyP

422 posts

17 months

Tuesday 17th March
quotequote all
BSB too, who run under their own rules. Silverstone test cancelled, and opening BSB round at Silverstone postponed until later in the year.

velocemitch

3,021 posts

178 months

Tuesday 17th March
quotequote all
I'm surprised they took so long.
Organisors have been having to take the difficult decisions themselves for past few weeks and MSUK were not really helping with daft stuff like non contact, self declaring scrutineering etc.

Kraken

1,539 posts

158 months

Wednesday 18th March
quotequote all
They were just following the government guidelines. As soon as the Government actually came out and said to avoid gatherings they pulled the plug.

If they had stopped meetings a couple of weeks ago I guarantee there would have been a load of people complaining that it was an over reaction. Damned if they do and damned if they don't. Following the official guidelines was the only sensible course in my book.

andy97

4,000 posts

180 months

Wednesday 18th March
quotequote all
MSVR have announced that testing and track days will continue but no spectators.
Not sure how briefings will be done and not sure how it complies with the request to limit non-essential travel and limit social gatherings.
I understand that circuits have their own medical staff, too, but if someone did require hospital treatment that doesn’t help the overall picture. Circuit medical staff could also probably get agency work supporting the NHS?
But what do I know?

Drumroll

Original Poster:

2,383 posts

78 months

Wednesday 18th March
quotequote all
The air ambulance was in at Cadwell on Sunday for a bike track day so that took up NHS resources, then there will be the hospital treatment.

Seems a bit selfish to me.

Edited by Drumroll on Wednesday 18th March 15:15

LucyP

422 posts

17 months

Wednesday 18th March
quotequote all
I think it's an irresponsible attitude of MSV and I'm surprised, given that Palmer was a doc in a former life. I suspect it will change pretty quickly as things get worse, which in fairness is what they also say.

They generally don't have their own full-time medics, or only 1. They mainly have people who work in the NHS, and work at circuits on days off.

MyVTECGoesBwaaah

725 posts

100 months

Wednesday 18th March
quotequote all
andy97 said:
MSVR have announced that testing and track days will continue but no spectators.
Not sure how briefings will be done and not sure how it complies with the request to limit non-essential travel and limit social gatherings.
I understand that circuits have their own medical staff, too, but if someone did require hospital treatment that doesn’t help the overall picture. Circuit medical staff could also probably get agency work supporting the NHS?
But what do I know?
Regarding briefings, Javelin at least have issued guidance which states they may take place elsewhere like outside and if you have attended the circuit recently you don't need to attend (Providing you sign your form stating this, or something to that effect).

grumpy52

4,471 posts

124 months

Thursday 19th March
quotequote all
LucyP said:
I think it's an irresponsible attitude of MSV and I'm surprised, given that Palmer was a doc in a former life. I suspect it will change pretty quickly as things get worse, which in fairness is what they also say.

They generally don't have their own full-time medics, or only 1. They mainly have people who work in the NHS, and work at circuits on days off.
I seem to remember that some time ago the ruling for the medical staff on rescue vehicles changed .
To be licensed as a paramedic you had to be a qualified paramedic in your general employment .
My GP surgery has a paramedic practitioner who is a paramedic on the rescue/incedent vehicle at motorbike meetings .
One A&E Trauma consultant encouraged young doctors to engage in the motorsport medical field as it gave excellent hands on experience.
Many only ever get to see trauma victims after they have been stabilised and packaged by ambulance crews .
Circuit medics will tell you it's never routine or predictable at race circuits . Think lightning strikes and child birth at different locations of the site at the same time !.

Drumroll

Original Poster:

2,383 posts

78 months

Thursday 19th March
quotequote all
grumpy52 said:
I seem to remember that some time ago the ruling for the medical staff on rescue vehicles changed .
To be licensed as a paramedic you had to be a qualified paramedic in your general employment .
My GP surgery has a paramedic practitioner who is a paramedic on the rescue/incedent vehicle at motorbike meetings .
One A&E Trauma consultant encouraged young doctors to engage in the motorsport medical field as it gave excellent hands on experience.
Many only ever get to see trauma victims after they have been stabilised and packaged by ambulance crews .
Circuit medics will tell you it's never routine or predictable at race circuits . Think lightning strikes and child birth at different locations of the site at the same time !.
Paramedic is a "protect title" which means to call your self a Paramedic you have to registered with the HCPC. (to maintain your registration you need to provide evidence you are still maintaining your skills)
Rescue units are not crewed by Paramedics (never have been), although there is usually a paramedic or doctor as part of the crew that attend an incident.

covboy

2,361 posts

132 months

Friday 20th March
quotequote all
grumpy52 said:
I seem to remember that some time ago the ruling for the medical staff on rescue vehicles changed .
To be licensed as a paramedic you had to be a qualified paramedic in your general employment .
My GP surgery has a paramedic practitioner who is a paramedic on the rescue/incedent vehicle at motorbike meetings .
One A&E Trauma consultant encouraged young doctors to engage in the motorsport medical field as it gave excellent hands on experience.
Many only ever get to see trauma victims after they have been stabilised and packaged by ambulance crews .
Circuit medics will tell you it's never routine or predictable at race circuits . Think lightning strikes and child birth at different locations of the site at the same time !.
Probably talking MSUK requirements for permit events. Not sure Testing carries the same requirements

Drumroll

Original Poster:

2,383 posts

78 months

Friday 20th March
quotequote all
Track days and test days are not being permitted events, the clubs who run them and the circuits can basically put on what provisions they like. So you might get half a dozen paid marshals, a paramedic and an ambulance (if your lucky) and that could be it.


Regardless of the resources at the circuit, if something does go wrong it will take mean an extra strain on the NHS and possibly the fire brigade (if a driver is trapped) and in the worst case scenario the police.

Edited by Drumroll on Friday 20th March 15:19

Kraken

1,539 posts

158 months

Saturday 21st March
quotequote all
In that case everywhere should close down and people should stay in bed all day.

People are boating, mountain climbing, flying, cycling etc etc. Why single out track days as a bad thing?

There's plenty of things people are doing at home, such as diy,drinking, smoking, taking drugs etc that are just as likely to lead to a "strain" on the emergency services when they go wrong.

I'm all for being sensible but officials are already saying social distancing will have to be in place for a year so people have to be able to do things otherwise we'll have a raft of other issues when it's all over.

Drumroll

Original Poster:

2,383 posts

78 months

Saturday 21st March
quotequote all
Not totally disagreeing with you, the differance is that track days are an organised event, where going out for a bike ride etc isn't.

LucyP

422 posts

17 months

Saturday 21st March
quotequote all
"There's plenty of things people are doing at home, such as diy,drinking, smoking, taking drugs etc that are just as likely to lead to a "strain" on the emergency services when they go wrong."

Not really. Have a look at the list of Screwfix closures. DIY is effectively out. There was a report in the papers this morning of people queuing across a Tesco car park at 5am, and all the pubs and clubs are closed, so it's quite hard to buy beer and cigarettes. Taking drugs is the only risk left, as you can guarantee that the drug dealers will still deliver!

And just ask a hospital medic what hospitals are like at the moment, and you will think very carefully about taking any risks. You really wouldn't want to be there with something simple like a broken wrist from hitting the tyre barrier on your trackday, at the moment.

Kraken

1,539 posts

158 months

Saturday 21st March
quotequote all
Plenty of places to get DIY items. I've been having stuff delivered every day no problem at all. Builders merchants are all still open. Have you been to a garden centre lately? They're heaving with OAPs getting their plants.

Rockatansky

1,515 posts

145 months

Saturday 21st March
quotequote all
Drumroll said:
Track days and test days are not being permitted events, the clubs who run them and the circuits can basically put on what provisions they like. So you might get half a dozen paid marshals, a paramedic and an ambulance (if your lucky) and that could be it.


Regardless of the resources at the circuit, if something does go wrong it will take mean an extra strain on the NHS and possibly the fire brigade (if a driver is trapped) and in the worst case scenario the police.

Edited by Drumroll on Friday 20th March 15:19
I can't speak for other circuits, but I know a little about my local one.

On any track day you'll get a team of at least nine fully trained marshals, a fully equipped medical centre with two paramedics for car events and four for bikes.

The numbers were crunched very recently, and it was found that 0.3% of bike trackday participants had to be transferred to the NHS for further care or assistance, 0% of car participants.

The guy delivering your takeaway tonight is more likely to be a potential strain on the NHS.

andy97

4,000 posts

180 months

Saturday 21st March
quotequote all
Rockatansky said:
I can't speak for other circuits, but I know a little about my local one.

On any track day you'll get a team of at least nine fully trained marshals, a fully equipped medical centre with two paramedics for car events and four for bikes.

The numbers were crunched very recently, and it was found that 0.3% of bike trackday participants had to be transferred to the NHS for further care or assistance, 0% of car participants.

The guy delivering your takeaway tonight is more likely to be a potential strain on the NHS.
Sure, but if the track day wasn’t going ahead then those medical people could be redeployed to the local GP surgery, A&E, care home or in the community.

Pericoloso

43,857 posts

121 months

Saturday 21st March
quotequote all
There's a track day at Bedford on Monday apparently still on.

My mate is going ,it's an alternative to his Spa and Ring trip this weekend.