Aston Martin F1 Team

Aston Martin F1 Team

Author
Discussion

Rappa

568 posts

236 months

phumy

5,083 posts

203 months

Thursday 10th September 2020
quotequote all
Vettel coming into the AM team had been bandied around for weeks now and was made official around 9am this morning, are you living under a rock.

Cold

11,112 posts

56 months

Friday 11th September 2020
quotequote all
This venture is nothing more than a sticker job. The Aston Martin team will be as much Aston Martin as Lotus were Lotus a few years ago.

TR-Spider

246 posts

44 months

Friday 11th September 2020
quotequote all
Cold said:
This venture is nothing more than a sticker job. The Aston Martin team will be as much Aston Martin as Lotus were Lotus a few years ago.
I agree - even worse than the cringy DTM Aston-Lookalike.

leerandle

672 posts

73 months

Friday 11th September 2020
quotequote all
I don't watch as much F1 as I used too, but as an AM owner, it will add more interest into the racing from next year on seeing Aston Martins on the track.

Also, its nice to see another 'british' team on the grid.

I was a mclaren fan, but will now be drawn between the two teams.

Anything that gives Aston a bigger profile globally and possibly more stability must be a good thing

EVR

1,211 posts

26 months

Friday 11th September 2020
quotequote all
Disclaimer: last time I watched the F1, Senna and Mansell were there.

I kind of know that Aston used to do something with Red Bull Racing?

Can I ask for a summary on which engine will they use, the team etc?

leerandle

672 posts

73 months

Friday 11th September 2020
quotequote all
EVR said:
Disclaimer: last time I watched the F1, Senna and Mansell were there.

I kind of know that Aston used to do something with Red Bull Racing?

Can I ask for a summary on which engine will they use, the team etc?
I believe they will be using the Mercedes engine and the team will be lance stroll (daddies the owner) and vettel.

I totally agree its not like the good old days.....but it will bring in some new viewers and interest.

MO55

2,030 posts

133 months

Friday 11th September 2020
quotequote all
Jon39 said:

We are bound to be discussing the re-entry of Aston Martin into Formula One racing, so perhaps now is a good time to begin.

Sergio Perez has this week announced, that he will be leaving Racing Point at the end of the present season. He did have a contract to drive for the team until the end of 2022. Four times world champion, Sebastian Vettel will be driving for Aston Martin next season, alongside Lance Stroll, son of the team owner Lawrence Stroll.

Aston Martin raced in F1 during 1959 and 1960 as a factory team, building their own cars. The timing of their entry into the sport at that time was unfortunate, because cars were changing from front engine to mid-engine configuration. The front engine Aston Martin quickly became uncompetitive and so the team withdrew from single seater racing.

The entry next year is on a different basis. Although being referred to as a factory team, it is more akin to the Aston Martin name being adopted by Racing Point F1 Team, an existing Formula One racing team.

Timeline of the team, based throughout at premises in Silverstone UK :-

1991 Jordan Grand Prix
2006 Midland F1 Racing
2007 Spyker F1
2008 Force India
2018 Racing Point Force India
2019 Racing Point

What colour scheme might be selected for the 2021 cars?

The 1959 Aston Martin DBR4 Formula One car.






Edited by Jon39 on Thursday 10th September 22:47
Jon great opener from you, thank you. clap

Isn't that DBR4 utterly gorgeous. Aston Martin Racing green would be my choice for the F1 cars,,,, pink in motorsport seems out of place, or maybe is just me. Delighted to see Seb has signed up for 'our' team, a fantastically capable driver, has that Hamilton ability to dig one out for pole, a gritty never say die attitude and an anglophile to his fingertips,,,, exciting times ahead for sure.

NFC 85 Vette

3,156 posts

202 months

Friday 11th September 2020
quotequote all
BWT's presence on the Racing Point car had a requirement for the pink colour scheme, and I believe they maybe stepping aside at the end of the year.

As a factory Aston Martin, it's likely to have a relatively pure and simple looking livery (Stirling Green and Lime Essence as per the AMR cars perhaps) - if they fancy something more traditional, Racing Green as shown above may be the answer.

In the practical sense of what makes a team a 'factory' team, F1's one of those industries that uses TUPE a fair bit, where the staff are the same but the name above the door changes every few years. The Racing Point factory at Silverstone is in spitting distance of the AMR Stowe facility, and the intention is to have some crossover between the F1 operation and the mid-rear engine cars. Essentially a more robust, long term version of the tie-up with Red Bull AT for the Valkyrie.

It's no less of a factory term than Mercedes really (which was Brawn, and before that - Honda), the only thing lacking for absolute 'purity' is probably the engine, typically a factory team have their own engine - but the AMG power unit is the best available. Years ago there was talk about AM entering F1 as an engine supplier; that of course didn't happen - and it's probably a good outcome. The engines have never been as complex as they are now, and the R&D involved in producing a competitive engine is significant.

IMO, the driver pairing is solid. Stroll's far more capable than the internet believes him to be - he's amassed a good points haul this year and his race craft improves with each race. He might have got into F1 through money and not raw talent, but many have (Lauda bought his way in remember), but he's justifying his seat with his performances now, not by what his surname is.

Seb - he divides opinion. Some believe he's a washed up has been, others believe he needed a fresh start and he's been left out in the cold at Ferrari (which is accurate, they have no time for him and the car's a turd now it's running legally). During seasons where he's had a fidgety car under him, he's struggled. Give him a car like this year's Racing Point, and he's still box office. Lewis Hamilton rates Seb very highly - to my mind that's a more valid endorsement than the frequent belittling of his efforts you may read on PistonHeads. By most measures, he's the 3rd most successful driver in F1 history. Like Hamilton, if you give him good equipment, he'll get results.

Next year the budget cap comes in, and the Jordan / Force India / Racing Point operation has always been the most cost effective team on the grid for earning points per dollar of spend. It's an incredibly exciting team for Aston Martin - Stroll isn't in F1 just to be an also ran, he's quickly and effectively assembled some very good jigsaw pieces and it's started to click into place. It'll be interesting to see should it prove successful, if it switches more Aston owners onto F1.

Penelope Stopit

8,550 posts

75 months

Friday 11th September 2020
quotequote all
NFC 85 Vette said:
It'll be interesting to see should it prove successful, if it switches more Aston owners onto F1.
It will be interesting to see if it switches more F1 fans to being Aston owners

oilit

1,706 posts

144 months

Friday 11th September 2020
quotequote all
Penelope Stopit said:
It will be interesting to see if it switches more F1 fans to being Aston owners
That is more important for the survival of AM surely?

mat205125

16,169 posts

179 months

Friday 11th September 2020
quotequote all
oilit said:
Penelope Stopit said:
It will be interesting to see if it switches more F1 fans to being Aston owners
That is more important for the survival of AM surely?
This will be great for Aston and their brand

Much more useful (however expensive) than being an occasional forgettable sticker on a Red Bull

DickyC

39,911 posts

164 months

Friday 11th September 2020
quotequote all
I wonder if they'll make anything of their Grand Prix centenary in 2022. There can't be that many teams left able to say that.

It's just they weren't very successful in 1922.

Jon39

Original Poster:

8,244 posts

109 months

Friday 11th September 2020
quotequote all

NFC 85 Vette said:
It's no less of a factory team than Mercedes really (which was Brawn, and before that - Honda), .....

Some 'pub quiz' type trivia Jon.

The Mercedes-Benz Grand Prix Limited company (number 00787446) was incorporated on the 9th January 1964, as Tyrrell Racing Organisation Limited. There have been quite a few name changes since then.

You may recall, Tyrrell became F1 World Champions (beating Ferrari) with cars built in two ex-army wooden sheds, joined end to end.
The wooden building still remains today in rural Surrey, standing beside a more modern factory, which was used later by the team. It was all done by a handful of skilled people, some help from Ford (Walter Hayes, later Chairman of Aston Martin), oh and Jackie Stewart. In those days, most of the cars had the same engine, which could be purchased from Cosworth.





Jon39

Original Poster:

8,244 posts

109 months

Friday 11th September 2020
quotequote all

DickyC said:
I wonder if they'll make anything of their Grand Prix centenary in 2022. There can't be that many teams left able to say that.

It's just they weren't very successful in 1922.

What a great idea.
Wonder if Mr Stroll has studied the early Aston Martin racing history?

Can you imagine todays races being 500 miles long!
Surprising that anyone finished in those days.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1922_French_Grand_...



PS. I think both of the Aston-Martin cars which took part, still exist.





Edited by Jon39 on Friday 11th September 11:40

JonnyCJ

962 posts

20 months

Friday 11th September 2020
quotequote all
I have to say, this has re-kindled my interest in F1. I'll actually be rooting for a team/drivers now, which is something that I haven't done since Damo Hill days.

8Speed

552 posts

32 months

Friday 11th September 2020
quotequote all
NFC 85 Vette said:
BWT's presence on the Racing Point car had a requirement for the pink colour scheme, and I believe they maybe stepping aside at the end of the year.

As a factory Aston Martin, it's likely to have a relatively pure and simple looking livery (Stirling Green and Lime Essence as per the AMR cars perhaps) - if they fancy something more traditional, Racing Green as shown above may be the answer.

In the practical sense of what makes a team a 'factory' team, F1's one of those industries that uses TUPE a fair bit, where the staff are the same but the name above the door changes every few years. The Racing Point factory at Silverstone is in spitting distance of the AMR Stowe facility, and the intention is to have some crossover between the F1 operation and the mid-rear engine cars. Essentially a more robust, long term version of the tie-up with Red Bull AT for the Valkyrie.

It's no less of a factory term than Mercedes really (which was Brawn, and before that - Honda), the only thing lacking for absolute 'purity' is probably the engine, typically a factory team have their own engine - but the AMG power unit is the best available. Years ago there was talk about AM entering F1 as an engine supplier; that of course didn't happen - and it's probably a good outcome. The engines have never been as complex as they are now, and the R&D involved in producing a competitive engine is significant.

IMO, the driver pairing is solid. Stroll's far more capable than the internet believes him to be - he's amassed a good points haul this year and his race craft improves with each race. He might have got into F1 through money and not raw talent, but many have (Lauda bought his way in remember), but he's justifying his seat with his performances now, not by what his surname is.

Seb - he divides opinion. Some believe he's a washed up has been, others believe he needed a fresh start and he's been left out in the cold at Ferrari (which is accurate, they have no time for him and the car's a turd now it's running legally). During seasons where he's had a fidgety car under him, he's struggled. Give him a car like this year's Racing Point, and he's still box office. Lewis Hamilton rates Seb very highly - to my mind that's a more valid endorsement than the frequent belittling of his efforts you may read on PistonHeads. By most measures, he's the 3rd most successful driver in F1 history. Like Hamilton, if you give him good equipment, he'll get results.

Next year the budget cap comes in, and the Jordan / Force India / Racing Point operation has always been the most cost effective team on the grid for earning points per dollar of spend. It's an incredibly exciting team for Aston Martin - Stroll isn't in F1 just to be an also ran, he's quickly and effectively assembled some very good jigsaw pieces and it's started to click into place. It'll be interesting to see should it prove successful, if it switches more Aston owners onto F1.
Interesting stuff as always NFC.
The only thing I don't agree on with you is the choice of Vettel instead of Perez.
We all know that F1 is a cut-throat business but ditching Perez after all he's done for the team is a disgrace imo. I think Vettel can do well if the car suits him but he can't drive round problems that a car may have & he's not a real racer (by that I mean mixing it up in mid-field) like the very best of them. He's suffered in comparison to quality team mates when they've joined him (e.g. Ricciardo, Leclerc).
Personally I think swapping Perez for Vettel is a poor choice - time will tell.

DickyC

39,911 posts

164 months

Friday 11th September 2020
quotequote all
Jon39 said:

What a great idea.
Wonder if Mr Stroll has studied the early Aston Martin racing history?

Can you imagine todays races being 500 miles long!
Surprising that anyone finished in those days.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1922_French_Grand_...



PS. I think both of the Aston-Martin cars which took part, still exist.
Indeed, one is in private hands, known as Green Pea, and was raced for years by Neil Murray (of VSCC and AMOC) I believe his son has it now and the other is at Beaulieu.

LTP

854 posts

78 months

Friday 11th September 2020
quotequote all
One thought on Vettel and Stroll; Seb has, since he started winning world championships, made it obvious that he considers himself the No.1 driver in any team, and is usually paired with drivers that accept that. Look what happened to him when he was paired with a racy newcomer with talent and a point to prove in Leclerc. So I wonder how that will go down if daddy’s little boy has to be the No.2? Or if Seb isn’t given the No.1 privileges? I can see tensions arising.

Mr.Tremlini

1,097 posts

67 months

Friday 11th September 2020
quotequote all
I follow F1, not frantically but I try and watch most qualifications and races, because it`s motorsport, and I enjoy motorsport. Moan and groan all you want about it being boring or predictable, F1 is still the perceived pinnacle, and regardless of Hamilton`s invincibility in recent years there are still exciting races (last weekend at Monza case in point) and typically there are some which are wagon trains, but there we go, that`s sport with all it`s fun and foibles. I`d rather watch that than a bunch of footballers kicking a ball back and forth for the same length of time as a race, only to witness a 0-0 draw. ("But is was a wonderful performance defensively...") Each to their own.

Regardless of if I think endurance racing is a better format and image for the company, F1 will propel AM to millions that don`t really know the company or notice the branding on the RBR cars. This can`t be bad, and I wish them every success.

There`s always been, and still is, a lot of bitterness it seems, about Lance Stroll and money and opportunity coming via his father. Sure, it seems he was hugely responsible for Lance`s seat at Williams, but so what, I am sure there are plenty of Aston Martin drivers out there that have their cars due to the grace of old money or the family coffers.

The guy is solid and consistent. He gets points on the board, and he`s not frequently careening around bouncing off barriers or other cars like Grosjean or Maldonado. He won F3 in 2016, so he`s clearly no mug behind the wheel. In 2017, his first year in F1, he drove as well as his vastly experienced team mate Massa, finishing just 3 points shy. That year he was also the second youngest to ever podium in F1.

The pay-driver thing has always been around, in some shape or form. Hamilton was financed by McLaren back to his karting days, Vettel was supported by Red Bull via their driver program, Perez brings his personal sponsors to the party, Telmex, Claro and what not. The gentleman drivers like Aston Martin Racing`s Paul Dalla Lana pays a small mint to have his seat in the Vantage at WEC. This is how the game works.