Jaguar xjc 4.2

Author
Discussion

CharlesdeGaulle

11,069 posts

128 months

Thursday 7th November
quotequote all
RobXjcoupe said:
Do you have any ideas for a different design? It’s quite difficult choosing tbh
In general I prefer the original styles, but can you take any inspiration from craigjm's thread? Maybe too avant-garde?

RobXjcoupe

Original Poster:

1,674 posts

39 months

Thursday 7th November
quotequote all
CharlesdeGaulle said:
RobXjcoupe said:
Do you have any ideas for a different design? It’s quite difficult choosing tbh
In general I prefer the original styles, but can you take any inspiration from craigjm's thread? Maybe too avant-garde?
Original styles are quite a solid wheel in design. The big xk8 wheels I currently have are Jaguar but obviously a modern looking wheel. BBS crossspoke styles are a right pain to keep clean and that is the reason I’m not keen but they are a classic design.

These are period in design but the 5 stud jag pcd doesn’t fit nicely between 8 spokes and I already have these on a Griffith.

Nincompoop

187 posts

133 months

Thursday 7th November
quotequote all
RobXjcoupe said:
Nincompoop said:
I do like the six spokers more than the fives, Rob.

The father of a chum of mine ran a lovely Series 1 XJ for years and had painted Wolfraces on it, which looked remarkably good. May be a cheaper (and period) option for you?
Slot mags are a little too solid a design to show the rear disc conversion but I see where you are coming from. smile
Understand.

Although I have often wondered whether an enterprising fellow with access to a suitable mill could open out the slots a bit (or a lot!)

scratchchin

RobXjcoupe

Original Poster:

1,674 posts

39 months

Thursday 7th November
quotequote all
Nincompoop said:
RobXjcoupe said:
Nincompoop said:
I do like the six spokers more than the fives, Rob.

The father of a chum of mine ran a lovely Series 1 XJ for years and had painted Wolfraces on it, which looked remarkably good. May be a cheaper (and period) option for you?
Slot mags are a little too solid a design to show the rear disc conversion but I see where you are coming from. smile
Understand.

Although I have often wondered whether an enterprising fellow with access to a suitable mill could open out the slots a bit (or a lot!)

scratchchin
Yes it’s very possible to do that, when I started this project I was going to make my own wheel centres to fit in a two piece wheel using BBS barrels. I had already modified a set of 5 stud BBS bmw wheels to a 4 stud Ford fit changing centrebore and offset to suit. That was my test to then go about making my own centres.


What with the impending doom of plant closure creeping ever closer and the lads here jumping ship as and when they find new jobs, I don’t have the time to setup and take my time to machine things accurately for myself. This evening I’m on a 12hr shift and it’s literally just me in the toolroom for the whole plant covering any possible production breakdowns. It’s why I’ve had to choose to buy a set of readymade wheels now rather than make my own frown.
Just to show what I did are a few pictures of the modified bbs wheels I did as a test using my old focus estate. I even made new stainless steel extended wheel nuts due to the fitting of a fitted concentric spacer so as the 81/2 rear width cleared the inner arch. So most things are possible, I unfortunately just don’t have the time left in this toolroom to start and finish a wheel project anymore.






Edited by RobXjcoupe on Friday 8th November 02:37

Nincompoop

187 posts

133 months

Thursday 7th November
quotequote all
You're a talented chap, Rob!

Here's to prolonging your stay to the last minute so you can take advantage of the toolroom as much as possible (y)

RobXjcoupe

Original Poster:

1,674 posts

39 months

Thursday 7th November
quotequote all
Nincompoop said:
You're a talented chap, Rob!

Here's to prolonging your stay to the last minute so you can take advantage of the toolroom as much as possible (y)
Thank you, you just just made my year smile

Nincompoop

187 posts

133 months

Thursday 7th November
quotequote all
I have a little fibreglass Ford Pop project and a couple of series Land Rovers on the go - which make me utterly miserable at times. Your prepping/fabbing/good attitude give me constant inspiration, Rob. Keep at it beer

RobXjcoupe

Original Poster:

1,674 posts

39 months

Thursday 7th November
quotequote all
Nincompoop said:
I have a little fibreglass Ford Pop project and a couple of series Land Rovers on the go - which make me utterly miserable at times. Your prepping/fabbing/good attitude give me constant inspiration, Rob. Keep at it beer
smile trust me I get fed with constant rust, seized bolts, flipping imperial sizes at that. Most of it is quite simple to repair or overhaul but it’s the amount that needs to be done. Little and often and gradually the pile of grot reduces while the pile of clean shiny working stuff increases. Believe or not this is a budget build. I try to show all I do in detail so readers can think it’s possible to do things themselves, mechanical stuff mainly.
The wife thinks I’m nuts but appreciates what goes into it. My Daughter is quickly growing up and I’ve promised it will be ready for her prom before the a levels and uni kick in. I seem to be the only dad that drives old cars as she tells me politely lol
This evening all is quite with production. No issues on assembly which finishes at 10pm, crank shaft making line is fully automated and is usually good unless a cutter goes bang.
Just been making a couple of stainless steel replacement sheet metal parts for the heater matrix box. Welding area all locked up so can’t finish those bits tonight.

CharlesdeGaulle

11,069 posts

128 months

Friday 8th November
quotequote all
I hope I'm not being too blunt or indelicate, but what happens to you when the place closes? Do you have somewhere else to go or will you be made redundant? A tragic loss of skills, regardless. Will you be able to work with similar facilities elsewhere or do you have to finish the project before the facility goes?

RobXjcoupe

Original Poster:

1,674 posts

39 months

Friday 8th November
quotequote all
CharlesdeGaulle said:
I hope I'm not being too blunt or indelicate, but what happens to you when the place closes? Do you have somewhere else to go or will you be made redundant? A tragic loss of skills, regardless. Will you be able to work with similar facilities elsewhere or do you have to finish the project before the facility goes?
Currently I don’t have another job to go to once I’m made redundant. I need to finish this project before this facility closes.
Obviously I’m applying for new work, hopefully doing something similar but if push comes to shove and i have to clean toilets then so be it.
I don’t owe anything so a job to cover utility bills and food is all I need. The guy repairing the actual car body has offered me a job if I get stuck so not too bad smile
Toolmaking is a dying trade, more so the larger automotive type with which my experience is with. Even Jaguar Land Rover uses sub contracted press shops. When the Range Rover sport was new 2005 half of that tooling went to an Italian firm who then subcontracted it to a polish firm. I was one of a few lads desperately trying to get inspection signed off panels so the tooling could be put into production at the then Ford Dagenham press shop. The Dagenham tooling operations did a lot of modifications to get it running perfectly. Both of those places shut in 2013 due to being too costly for the business. Now people buy Fords built in India or Romania, but still pay the premium price?! Go figure? Probably keeps the German Ford plants open by offsetting there huge costs.
I personally think we need a budget British branded car on the road to create the manufacturing jobs again. Undercut the German and the Asian built cars. The government have an opportunity with brexit by pulling out of Europe and simply taxing all non U.K. built car sales to give a British budget brand a possible start.
There said my bit smile

CharlesdeGaulle

11,069 posts

128 months

Friday 8th November
quotequote all
RobXjcoupe said:
I personally think we need a budget British branded car on the road to create the manufacturing jobs again. Undercut the German and the Asian built cars. The government have an opportunity with brexit by pulling out of Europe and simply taxing all non U.K. built car sales to give a British budget brand a possible start.
There said my bit smile
I wouldn't disagree but, sadly, think that train left the station long ago.

Good luck with the job search. I'd imagine that a man with your skills would be snapped-up in the classic car resto world. Alternatively, have you looked at the like of BAE Systems? They have a large engineering (and apprentice, although obvs not for you!) footprint.

tobinen

5,574 posts

93 months

Friday 8th November
quotequote all
I was thinking similarly to CdG though I know nothing of your industry. Could you go it alone and offer your skills via the classic car industry?

Good luck chap.

RobXjcoupe

Original Poster:

1,674 posts

39 months

Friday 8th November
quotequote all
tobinen said:
I was thinking similarly to CdG though I know nothing of your industry. Could you go it alone and offer your skills via the classic car industry?

Good luck chap.
I think people would only spend money with established firms rather than a one man band. To do what I do I would need a lathe and associated chucks, a Bridgeport mill with dividing head and adjustable vice, and a shot blast cabinet. Also all the cutters and drills per machine. Personally I would love to do that but realistically the initial cost of machines and fitting in the garage I would lose at least half my garage and then start touting for business lol sounds stressful already smile
I appreciate the thoughts, I really do

RobXjcoupe

Original Poster:

1,674 posts

39 months

Friday 8th November
quotequote all
Back to wheel style smile

Above the good ole 5 spoke in 18” diameter. A bit like the original revolution wheels 5 spoke and below I found these on the fleabay. Also 18” diameter with Aston db7 centres, which used a jag XJS suspension. Being 3 piece they can be rebuilt, changing width to 9j on the rears. The offsets are wrong at et14.5 compared to my et33 front and et35 rear so more possible modification machining. Maybe I should keep what I’ve got and get them polished or give them a chrome paint finish. Decisions eh?!

RobXjcoupe

Original Poster:

1,674 posts

39 months

Thursday 14th November
quotequote all
Had to repair the top panel of the interior heater box, well didn’t repair the panel I made a new one.


Rather grotty. The face you see bolts to the interior of the engine fire wall.

The securing screws were so badly corroded I had to drill the heads off


Inside however the actual heater radiator looked remarkably good. I will remove and inspect properly though.

So my work tinsmith didn’t have any suitable stainless steel sheet to make a new panel, even worse the tinsmith was on a few days vacation. So in my garage I had a stainless steel kitchen extraction fan chimney extension just sitting there. So took it to work and re-purposed it smile



RobXjcoupe

Original Poster:

1,674 posts

39 months

Thursday 14th November
quotequote all





I made new stainless securing studs as well but I can’t get the pictures to load up currently



Aluminati

513 posts

6 months

Thursday 14th November
quotequote all
RobXjcoupe said:
Back to wheel style smile

Above the good ole 5 spoke in 18” diameter. A bit like the original revolution wheels 5 spoke and below I found these on the fleabay. Also 18” diameter with Aston db7 centres, which used a jag XJS suspension. Being 3 piece they can be rebuilt, changing width to 9j on the rears. The offsets are wrong at et14.5 compared to my et33 front and et35 rear so more possible modification machining. Maybe I should keep what I’ve got and get them polished or give them a chrome paint finish. Decisions eh?!
The only acceptable wheel, is the Minilite.

waftycranker

54 posts

8 months

Thursday 14th November
quotequote all
Aluminati said:
The only acceptable wheel, is the Minilite.
No, no, no, no.

You want a deep dish split rim with black spokes. Those 6 spoke ones that the OP posted were the right kind of thing.

waftycranker

54 posts

8 months

Thursday 14th November
quotequote all
Top work though RobXJCoupe! Great to see the work of a skilled engineer. I’m currently seeking an XJ6 for a rolling restoration. I can ever seeing me going to the lengths you have but I want one to be my forever car. I want to do a million miles in it. I will start a thread when I get it.

English expat

3 posts

6 months

Friday 15th November
quotequote all
Pleasure to read from beginning to end. I also wish you well with the job hunting. The engineering trade has been losing good/fantastic people hand over fist for years.

Keep at it and although I don’t know your circumstances I would go in with the body man and offer a one stop shop between you.

Back to the Jag, I can’t wait to see it finished.