996 GT3 - is now the time to buy?

996 GT3 - is now the time to buy?

Author
Discussion

T-bagger

Original Poster:

321 posts

145 months

Tuesday 21st November 2017
quotequote all
Hi All

Seeing 996 GT3s dipping below the £60k mark, is now the time to buy? Surely they won’t get much cheaper?
Hankered for one since selling my 996.2 Carrera a few years back and wondering if they’ll drop much further. Not necessarily looking for an investment, rather a car I can use for weekend fun without pouring money down the drain should I need to move it on some day.

All thoughts welcome.

Cheers.

GT03ROB

7,314 posts

162 months

Wednesday 22nd November 2017
quotequote all
The time to buy was when they were dipping into the low 30s!!! smile

Dammit

2,973 posts

149 months

Wednesday 22nd November 2017
quotequote all
We're heading for a big recession- wait until next year when the banks have left.

n12maser

303 posts

33 months

Wednesday 22nd November 2017
quotequote all
i see them dipping a bit lower next year once the economy (likely) gets in real trouble.

fancy a black 996 gt3 mk2 myself but can't sell my 993 carrera as so attached the thing + most of my driving is bumpy b-road not track

Porsche911R

16,494 posts

206 months

Wednesday 22nd November 2017
quotequote all
GT03ROB said:
The time to buy was when they were dipping into the low 30s!!! smile
This, I sold mine for £38k !
Advertisement

boxsey

3,358 posts

151 months

Wednesday 22nd November 2017
quotequote all
I was tempted by the one that didn't sell at Silverstone auctions (available now for £55K I believe) but was then informed that it's a CatD (there was nothing in the ad about this).

LaSource

2,229 posts

149 months

Wednesday 22nd November 2017
quotequote all
Leaving economic predictions aside, for me the 996 GT3 provides a unique experience (compared to later variants) and they don't make any more like it. So if you find a nice one that is right for you, then waiting may mean not finding that right car later on. That is the challenge with buying a limited car on the used market.

If you are not too fussy and any 996 will do (comfort/CS, buckets/no buckets, silvers/bright colours, high/low mileage, repaired/not repaired) then yes, maybe waiting may provide an even lower priced opportunity. In my case I was looking for some specific items - a bright coloured, straight, factory clubsport, <30k miles, etc, and ended up buying a lovely <20k miles red one this summer because I knew I'm unlikely to find the same car again next year or the year after.



SignalGruen

593 posts

141 months

Wednesday 22nd November 2017
quotequote all
Either bide you time or put some cheeky bids in - a lot of cars in PH ads have been hanging around for a while. Only one that I saw sell quickly recently was the Paul Stevens SY CS with above average miles but priced sensibly at sub-£60k.

Steve Rance

4,928 posts

172 months

Wednesday 22nd November 2017
quotequote all
LaSource said:
Leaving economic predictions aside, for me the 996 GT3 provides a unique experience (compared to later variants) and they don't make any more like it. So if you find a nice one that is right for you, then waiting may mean not finding that right car later on. That is the challenge with buying a limited car on the used market.

If you are not too fussy and any 996 will do (comfort/CS, buckets/no buckets, silvers/bright colours, high/low mileage, repaired/not repaired) then yes, maybe waiting may provide an even lower priced opportunity. In my case I was looking for some specific items - a bright coloured, straight, factory clubsport, <30k miles, etc, and ended up buying a lovely <20k miles red one this summer because I knew I'm unlikely to find the same car again next year or the year after.
Good advice. The 996GT3 is one one the very best all time drivers cars. Probably the best drivers cars of the entire GT range and undervalued on that basis in my opinion. If you want one, it’s a shrewd buy. Search the number of threads on here predicting bubbles bursting. It’s been predicted for years. Prices of GT cars always drop this time of year and there’s a few nice ones about. I’d buy the very best car that I could afford right now

Porsche911R

16,494 posts

206 months

Wednesday 22nd November 2017
quotequote all
Steve Rance said:
Good advice. The 996GT3 is one one the very best all time drivers cars. Probably the best drivers cars of the entire GT range and undervalued on that basis in my opinion. If you want one, it’s a shrewd buy. Search the number of threads on here predicting bubbles bursting. It’s been predicted for years. Prices of GT cars always drop this time of year and there’s a few nice ones about. I’d buy the very best car that I could afford right now
It may well be one of the best , But you always say only if you intend to go on track with them.

most if any see tracks now days.

browngt3

633 posts

152 months

Wednesday 22nd November 2017
quotequote all
Sold my 996.2 GT3 to make way for new 991.2GT3. Have to say I wish I was able to keep it as they really are special cars. So alive and involving, some might say nervous. The new car is better in every way but lacks that analogue liveliness. Old and new would complement each other perfectly.

We will never see the likes of them again so if you can get a good one go for it. Your money will be safe too.

GT3cs

1,110 posts

182 months

Wednesday 22nd November 2017
quotequote all
Porsche911R said:
GT03ROB said:
The time to buy was when they were dipping into the low 30s!!! smile
This, I sold mine for £38k !
I bought my Guards Red Club sport for £28k !!

Porsche911R

16,494 posts

206 months

Wednesday 22nd November 2017
quotequote all
GT3cs said:
I bought my Guards Red Club sport for £28k !!
I remember the RS were only £60k for about 3 years running.

I also tuned down a very over priced RHD 964 RS for £37k back in the day !

if only we all knew......

MDL111

3,444 posts

118 months

Wednesday 22nd November 2017
quotequote all
Life is short, I would buy one if I could afford it.

I don't see why the 996 should not at some point trade at similar (or higher) price levels compared to later variants - as posted above it is analogue and a relatively simple car. I have no numbers to back this up top of my head, but would also assume it is relatively rare compared to the subsequent variants. I would get a 996.1 if you are looking at future value potential - the first one of a series - a 2.7 RS is also not exactly a rare car and look where those trade nowadays

In the short run there might be a correction though in the UK due to the economic uncertainty (or - by now maybe - certainty of a rather uninspiring economic outlook)

Steve Rance

4,928 posts

172 months

Wednesday 22nd November 2017
quotequote all
Porsche911R said:
It may well be one of the best , But you always say only if you intend to go on track with them.

most if any see tracks now days.
That is a shame, the early GT3’s are not a one size fits all car like the later ones. They are very tactile And intense things.

GT03ROB

7,314 posts

162 months

Wednesday 22nd November 2017
quotequote all
Porsche911R said:
GT3cs said:
I bought my Guards Red Club sport for £28k !!
I remember the RS were only £60k for about 3 years running.

I also tuned down a very over priced RHD 964 RS for £37k back in the day !

if only we all knew......
When I bought my guard red GT3 there was only about 6 or 7k price difference between a GT3 & a GT3 RS..... if only I'd known....

Porsche911R

16,494 posts

206 months

Wednesday 22nd November 2017
quotequote all
MDL111 said:
Life is short, I would buy one if I could afford it.

I don't see why the 996 should not at some point trade at similar (or higher) price levels compared to later variants -
because the money and collectors are always after the RS cars as now can be seen at >£200k

MDL111

3,444 posts

118 months

Wednesday 22nd November 2017
quotequote all
Porsche911R said:
MDL111 said:
Life is short, I would buy one if I could afford it.

I don't see why the 996 should not at some point trade at similar (or higher) price levels compared to later variants -
because the money and collectors are always after the RS cars as now can be seen at >£200k
we are talking GT3 though and not RS and it is also the only generation that did not have an RS (996.1 - but from memory a CS variant as opposed to just a "trim" option)

Edit: and your above reason does not exclude that a 996 trades at the same level as 997 or 991

Digga

26,773 posts

224 months

Wednesday 22nd November 2017
quotequote all
I just don't think it bettered - and I bought a 997, not a 996 GT3 - for ultimate 'feel', fun and feedback.

The reason I went 997 instead were very simple; first I prefer the looks, slightly, second, like La Source, I wanted a very good, low mileage, Club Sport car (mines still done less than 29k miles) but unlike La Source, I did not quite have the budget that would require - good, low mileage Club Sport 996 cars seem to cost more than 997.1.

Aside from being fussy about getting 'the' right car, I do think it possible that prices for both 996 and 997 GT3s might drop next year but, equally, could easily counfound predictions and rise again.

T-bagger

Original Poster:

321 posts

145 months

Wednesday 22nd November 2017
quotequote all
Thanks all for your advice. Coming from owners that have been through the purchase process this is invaluable. Plenty of food for thought (aswell as regrets of missing then boat - £28k!!!!) and things to mull over. I’ll be taking the plunge, just a case of when.
Any other advice or comments always welcome, I’ll update the thread with any progress as you all seem a friendly bunch &#128512;

Cheers