Taycan 4S Cross Turismo

Taycan 4S Cross Turismo

Author
Discussion

Beefmeister

16,294 posts

197 months

Tuesday 25th May
quotequote all
To all the people ordering the 21" wheels - when they say the range drops '-15 miles with the 21's over the 20's they really mean it. I drove two Turbos on a launch nack to back, one with 20s and one with 21's. On the same route the bigger wheels used 12 miles more range in identical conditions.

Given the somewhat meagre range (220 miles realistic in winter) on the CT 4S anyway, I'd be going for the 20 inch wheel in a heartbeat. It still looks fantastic!


ds666

1,707 posts

146 months

Tuesday 25th May
quotequote all
Why does the wheel size make such a big difference ? I imagine the rolling circumference is the same on both size wheels ??

Digga

33,042 posts

250 months

Tuesday 25th May
quotequote all
ds666 said:
Why does the wheel size make such a big difference ? I imagine the rolling circumference is the same on both size wheels ??
Don't know, but in any event, it does seem to be a well established 'fact'.

Taffy66

4,671 posts

69 months

Tuesday 25th May
quotequote all
ds666 said:
Why does the wheel size make such a big difference ? I imagine the rolling circumference is the same on both size wheels ??
Its the increased width compared to the 20''.. I still might change mine from 21'' down to 20'' as i live a long way from any extensive charger network.

CloudStuff

2,717 posts

71 months

Tuesday 25th May
quotequote all
I've gone for the 20's on mine (CT Turbo - code is PMRCU6U8)


MDL111

5,613 posts

144 months

Tuesday 25th May
quotequote all
I really like how these look and definitely need to test drive one at some point, but would you guys - esp the ones who have owned a Taycan, so have some first hand longer term experience - buy them if there was no tax benefit - i.e. if the choice is T4S CT at €112k base vs. 911 C2 at €108k base, would people really buy the Taycan? Every time I think about one, I then consider what else I could buy with that money (incl. used cars such as a 991 GT3 or any combination of other cars) at which point I scratch my head and think I must be slightly insane and close the configurator again....

Beefmeister

16,294 posts

197 months

Tuesday 25th May
quotequote all
ds666 said:
Why does the wheel size make such a big difference ? I imagine the rolling circumference is the same on both size wheels ??
Weight of wheel is the main one - it's rotational mass which is far worse, then there's the extra width of tyre too. The 20's I showed above have blanked-in faces so are quite aerodynamic, which reduced drag. The 21's are very open and cause more drag. These might only be small elements individually, but all add up to a 10 mile range difference.

The thing with an EV like the Taycan is, if you want to maximise range, everything counts. Driving with your windows down on a 50 mile country drive on a sunny day is likely to lose you an extra 10-15 miles range, for example.

Digga

33,042 posts

250 months

Tuesday 25th May
quotequote all
CloudStuff said:
I've gone for the 20's on mine (CT Turbo - code is PMRCU6U8)

If I weren't suck an idiot, those are exactly the wheels I would opt for, were I capable of avoiding the 21" elephant trap.

However, in my defence, the whole personal motivation for getting an EV is perhaps very different from that of others. My current mileage (even outside of lockdown) is now very low. I seldom make long trips. A good weekend is one where the company vehicle parks up on a Friday night and does not move a wheel because either I'm out hiking and mountain biking, or hooning in my fun ICE car.

My commute is so short that, in autumn, winter (and the st spring we're having) the vehicle's engine and passenger compartment don't even warm up until I'm almost half way. the journey is only 15 minutes by car, but hills and terrain mean that's over an hour by bike on the most direct route cross country and the roads are far too narrow to cycle safely.

Having a car I can pre-set to warm up and that has zero emissions and is easy to re-charge at home or work is a total no-brainer.

Taffy66

4,671 posts

69 months

Tuesday 25th May
quotequote all
I don't think there is any significant increase in wheel weight of the 21'' vs 20'' as the former is forged and the latter cast. The width of the tyres is the main cause which both increases aerodynamic drag as well as rolling resistance. The open spokes oon the 21'' obviously makes a difference.
This reminds me last August when i test drove a Taycan 4s on 21'' rims from Cardiff to Swindon and back pretty much 100% motorway miles. At those kind of speeds i'm pretty convinced the test Taycan on 21'' had way less range than the official 10-14 miles Porsche quote compared to my Taycan on 20'' rims.

21ATS

Original Poster:

414 posts

39 months

Tuesday 25th May
quotequote all
For those of you still figuring out if you should contract hire or buy one of these I recommend you have a chat with Darren Gibson.

I just have and I'm glad I did, we'll be changing our accountant as a result.

Darren has previously done finance for me and I thought I'd give him a call about the Taycan's. It seems he's bought one himself for the same reason we all are - Tax.

https://dg18son.com/

Business finance lease is the way forward



Edited by 21ATS on Tuesday 25th May 15:17

21ATS

Original Poster:

414 posts

39 months

Tuesday 25th May
quotequote all
MDL111 said:
I really like how these look and definitely need to test drive one at some point, but would you guys - esp the ones who have owned a Taycan, so have some first hand longer term experience - buy them if there was no tax benefit - i.e. if the choice is T4S CT at €112k base vs. 911 C2 at €108k base, would people really buy the Taycan? Every time I think about one, I then consider what else I could buy with that money (incl. used cars such as a 991 GT3 or any combination of other cars) at which point I scratch my head and think I must be slightly insane and close the configurator again....
Up until last week I had no interest in electric vehicles. I wasn't even a fan of the Taycan. That changed as soon as I saw the Cross Turismo.

I have always liked the Panamera GTS Sport Turismo since it came out, but I couldn't stomach the depreciation. The entry price was too high.

I love a fast wagon, my daily is currently a 2017 Audi S6 Avant.

So when the Taycan CT came out I knew there were benefits of EV's as a company director, I just didn't really grasp how big the benefits were.

Would I buy this privately? Absolutely not, but I wouldn't be buying any Porsche privately - not new anyway. It's a perfect vehicle in a tax loophole that will no doubt be shut in the near future. I'd be daft not to take advantage of it now.



MDL111

5,613 posts

144 months

Tuesday 25th May
quotequote all
21ATS said:
MDL111 said:
I really like how these look and definitely need to test drive one at some point, but would you guys - esp the ones who have owned a Taycan, so have some first hand longer term experience - buy them if there was no tax benefit - i.e. if the choice is T4S CT at €112k base vs. 911 C2 at €108k base, would people really buy the Taycan? Every time I think about one, I then consider what else I could buy with that money (incl. used cars such as a 991 GT3 or any combination of other cars) at which point I scratch my head and think I must be slightly insane and close the configurator again....
Up until last week I had no interest in electric vehicles. I wasn't even a fan of the Taycan. That changed as soon as I saw the Cross Turismo.

I have always liked the Panamera GTS Sport Turismo since it came out, but I couldn't stomach the depreciation. The entry price was too high.

I love a fast wagon, my daily is currently a 2017 Audi S6 Avant.

So when the Taycan CT came out I knew there were benefits of EV's as a company director, I just didn't really grasp how big the benefits were.

Would I buy this privately? Absolutely not, but I wouldn't be buying any Porsche privately - not new anyway. It's a perfect vehicle in a tax loophole that will no doubt be shut in the near future. I'd be daft not to take advantage of it now.
Thanks for the feedback - Mmhh I have zero tax benefit

Your spec looks awesome

OpulentBob

11,766 posts

147 months

Tuesday 25th May
quotequote all
I am so jealous. I wish I owned a business. biggrin These are utterly stunning - Russy, both of your colour options are to die for, but the blue just makes me feel like a kid so I vote for that.

Jealous of you all, I hope you all have many happy, cheap, fast miles. smile

pmanson

12,924 posts

220 months

Tuesday 25th May
quotequote all
July delivery for the flying watermelon:





Again 4s

21ATS

Original Poster:

414 posts

39 months

Tuesday 25th May
quotequote all
I do like the green and I'm still umming and ahhing. But pair that with a red interior - qudos to you.

That's bold but fun.

ds666

1,707 posts

146 months

Tuesday 25th May
quotequote all
OpulentBob said:
I am so jealous. I wish I owned a business. biggrin These are utterly stunning - Russy, both of your colour options are to die for, but the blue just makes me feel like a kid so I vote for that.

Jealous of you all, I hope you all have many happy, cheap, fast miles. smile
You don't need to own a business to get the BIK of ev cars .

ds666

1,707 posts

146 months

Tuesday 25th May
quotequote all
21ATS said:
For those of you still figuring out if you should contract hire or buy one of these I recommend you have a chat with Darren Gibson.

I just have and I'm glad I did, we'll be changing our accountant as a result.

Darren has previously done finance for me and I thought I'd give him a call about the Taycan's. It seems he's bought one himself for the same reason we all are - Tax.

https://dg18son.com/

Business finance lease is the way forward



Edited by 21ATS on Tuesday 25th May 15:17
I've already ordered via Porsche - can you share the numbers ?

21ATS

Original Poster:

414 posts

39 months

Tuesday 25th May
quotequote all
ds666 said:
I've already ordered via Porsche - can you share the numbers ?
As already discussed in this thread, buying allows you to offset to the full value of the purchase against taxable profit in year one.

Using simple figures, if your OTR price is £100,000 - that entire amount can be written down in year one.

Of course when you sell it, say at some point in the future for £50,000 you'd need to repay the same percentage of £50K. So you simply keep it long term and keep it on the books.

The battery warranty is 8 years. The rest of the car is 3 years.

If you contract hire, there's no capital write down allowed, you're renting for a term period then handing the car back, you can offset the contract hire payments against your profit and reclaim 50% of the VAT as no doubt there will be personal use.

I'm waiting for the figures in black and white, once I have them I'll post them here to describe our circumstances.

This is also subject to a chat with an accountant as there is an lement of private use that can't be included in the write down.

So whilst we have already ordered and placed a deposit with Porsche, how you choose pay for the car or finance it will determine which tax route is chosen.

Edited by 21ATS on Tuesday 25th May 18:02

Taffy66

4,671 posts

69 months

Tuesday 25th May
quotequote all
Another point worth making is that by choosing a payment option which allows full ownership at the end of the term allows flexibility. For instance lets assume the UK removes all tax perks in three years time and you HAVE to hand your leased Taycan back with no tax perks available to buy another one.

russy01

4,546 posts

148 months

Tuesday 25th May
quotequote all
OpulentBob said:
I am so jealous. I wish I owned a business. biggrin These are utterly stunning - Russy, both of your colour options are to die for, but the blue just makes me feel like a kid so I vote for that.

Jealous of you all, I hope you all have many happy, cheap, fast miles. smile
I’m actually swaying towards the red, but do love the blue! I need to see a red one in the flesh really...

The wheel debate is interesting, I love both 21 options! Although I won’t often be doing long journeys, so reckon I can get away with the 21’s?